Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > Steampunk

Unread 11-22-2010, 08:38 PM   #1
Fai'sBlueEyes
Ruler of the Pandas

Skirt Help?

So I'm making two skirts for an event coming up in about two weeks (an overskirt and an underskirt) technically both are finished and the underskirt went fine, I really like how it turned out but the overskirt is being a little weird so I was hoping someone could help me out with it.

This is the underskirt:http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...324 878_n.jpg

And this is the overskirt:http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...051 268_n.jpg

I want to gather the front of the overskirt up in the front (kind of like this: http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...4627 36_n.jpg )
but as you can see when I try it the whole thing just looks really weird and one side seems shorter than the other, I can't figure out if it's because it's a circle skirt and maybe that's what's messing it up or if maybe it's the fabric or just how I'm gathering and arranging it and such.

If anyone can help me I'd really appreciate it, I don't have a lot of time left to get this ready and I don't want to be working on stuff up until the last minute

Last edited by Fai'sBlueEyes : 11-23-2010 at 01:33 PM.
Fai'sBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-23-2010, 11:50 AM   #2
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

In both photos, gathered and un-gathered, your overskirt looks shorter on the right side (your right). I can't say why it's doing that, but mis-cutting pieces happens all the time and it's easy to attach part of a skirt higher on a waistband than the other parts. I suspect it's the way the pieces were cut, since your underskirt is also longer in the front than at the sides.

How to fix?

Option A: enjoy (and emphasize) the asymmetry, because for several years it was a fashionable arrangement for skirts of that type.

Option B: Undo whatever hem treatment you've got, trim the skirt into a symmetrical shape, and re-hem.

If you go with Option A, I'd recommend spending the bulk of your time on trimming and embellishment, also in an asymmetrical manner, so the cut of the skirt looks more intentional. Victorians loved trim like vultures love a carcass; go nuts.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 01:50 PM   #3
Fai'sBlueEyes
Ruler of the Pandas

Thanks, I see now how it was uneven in the first picture (didn't notice it before, oops!) and I think I will go with Option A, it would probably work out better with the character type I'm sort of going for not to care if it's asymmetrical (and I kind of like the idea of leaving it too, that way it's not too too perfect).

Thanks again! I think I know just what to do now.
Fai'sBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 05:53 PM   #4
Clyde_2.0
Wakka Wakka Wakka...

I second the asymmetrical look, it works best for informal characters. My own steampunk costume has uneven gathering on the skirt.

But I've been thinking about a formal steampunk dress ('cause making the first one was just so darn awesome) and that sort would need to be exact in everything... and would probably take a year to make, I have a lot of sewing accidents.
Clyde_2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote