Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 11-23-2010, 05:32 AM   #1
deadpool790

Path of the Dragon

Hello I am huge fan of Bruce Lee and have always wanted to cosplay as him. I recently muscled up the courage to finally try and cosplay as him. As you may all well know Bruce Lee had a very very toned body and I have been working out at the Gym for about a year and half now...Ive watched my diet nothing but lean meats chicken fish and rice. I'm what you would call a person who doesnt gain much muscle mass and would probably lose it quickly if I stoped working out. I just wanted to ask you folks what you think so far?

I am about to purchase my Bruce Lee/Fei-long outfit and wanted to hear some feed back from all of you from the results that I have done to my body. If you must know I used to weigh 155 ate fastfood everyday and cut all that out...

I am continuing to work out and now am incorperating squats into my work out to get even tonner abs. Ive only been to this date doing concentraded Core Ab workouts mainly px90 with a mix of other things. I work out almost 7 days a week now with no break.
deadpool790 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-23-2010, 06:27 AM   #2
Loplod

7 days a week with no break?

That is the first mistake, Your body needs rest days to repair muscles and get them ready to work again, You should be having at least 1 rest day, and no more than 2 (for what you are looking for)

How many calories are you intaking per day?
Also what are your stats at? How much can you squat and deadlift ETC ETC?

You're at a decent enough level (silly bottles in the way), But need that little extra kick (Also, your arms like tiny, Which is good for bruce lee.. But just kinda silly :P)
Loplod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 09:01 AM   #3
Rjr3412
o-iii<0

Yeah, loplod really nailed it.

You need to rest. Muscles do not grow in the gym, they grow when they recover from the gym. If you do not give them adequate recovery time, not only do you greatly hinder your progress, but you are far more likely to incur a serious injury.

Also, if you want to grow, and you aren't, then you aren't eating enough. I know it can be tough to eat a ton of calories while eating clean but there are a couple things that can help. Natural peanut butter, milk, nuts and oats offer some great options to bump up your calorie requirements after meating your protein needs. If you weight 155lbs then you should be aiming for at least 155 grams of protein each day. Trust me, this can make one of the biggest differences you can make.

Also, something that is quite useful, and often avoided is eating shortly before bed. A good serving of cottage cheese (casein protein) will help supply your body with amino's through the night while your hormones peak (human growth hormone naturally peaks while asleep). Its also when most of your recovery is going to happen and you want to provide it with enough fuel.

For that I personally like to make a shake with about a cup of milk, some whey, some oats, some cottage cheese and a couple berries. Its tasty, very nutritious and a great source of protein and calories.

Great job so far, and just keep up the hard work!
Rjr3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 02:59 PM   #4
deadpool790

I used to weigh 155(college weight) haha I weigh anywhere from 123-125pounds now (115 in HS) ever since I changed my diet and started going to the gym. As far as my stats go I can Squat 155 pretty easily I used to run track and field (hurdles) in HS and we would pack on 5 45s on each side and do one squat but with helpers on each side haha.

I can bench on a incline machine 180pounds 2-3 sets of 10 reps

my daily routines go as followed:

M: Core,back : 30mins of core excises p90x with amix, Back: 2sets of 10x wide grip pull ups 2x sets of neutral grip as long as I can hold stationary pull to build lats even more. Take a 40 lbs dumbell and find a bench and use it as a back and neck support and pull the dumbell over my head and bring it up using my chest,tris and lats. I havent posted a pic yet but I have fairly big lats if I flex them out , trapezius pushups by using your elbows going up and down. and finally the Tbar.

Tues: Legs/Forearms. Squats I only just started getting back into it I do 155 pounds deadlifts not sure about that as much I need to find get a more proper technique. If done wrong can seriously screw up my lower back... Then after exhausting myself I go the cables and do a and hand squeeze 90lbs alternating until I cant do anymore. After which I find a 10 pound weight and do wrists curls and other forearm movements.

We: Shoulders, I mostly just work on my Deltiods taking barbell and putting it behind my head and lifting it for 3 sets of 10. I then Move on to biceps and triceps. When I started working out I did a huge amount of shoulder work out and they quickly became my biggest muscle on my arms so I dont do them that much anymore, Cardio- running 2 miles on certain days or jump roping and shadow boxing 300-400 punches and lots and lots of streching.

Thurs: Chest I'm worried about getting too big of a chest so Im hesitant about working out my chest as much as I used to. Before I would bench 45s on each side too worried wit no help to go heavier. On the incline bench machine ill go 180pounds and do 3 sets of 10x reps. I also do one other one but I forget what its called.
Unread 11-23-2010, 03:06 PM   #5
deadpool790

My Diet: Chicken and Fish almost every day... nothing but leans meats and rice

I try and stay away from breads and potatoes. Now I know most of you live off these and think its not possible... Well for me it is however I am asian and I cannot live without rice so even I have a carb that I eat everyday.

Now these arent fully accurate but I assure you at least one of my meals consist of one of these a day if not all. Also I eat about 4-5 eggs a day I ran out of my protein shake that I tried out for 2 months I should get some more. I would keep track of my calorie in take but I honestly dont care about that stuff... I do what I want and eat what I think is healthy.
lets give a weekly example of my diet:
M: hawaiian chicken and fish rice and mac salad
T: Chinese fast food (not panda express) Teryaki chicken and 2 fillet fish white rice NOT FRIED RICE OR NOODLES
Wed: 2x grilled fish fillet white rice with little bit of tofu meat mix on top
Thurs: El polo loco: Grilled fire roasted chicken 10pc
Fri: more Chinese food
Unread 11-23-2010, 04:03 PM   #6
Rjr3412
o-iii<0

How tall are you? 125ish pounds is really really light for a guy.

I'd recommend starting to slowly up your calories till you start gaining weight. If you do it slowly enough you shouldn't need to worry about putting on any significant fat.

Also, put a little bit of time into researching the core movements. Bench/chest press, squats, deadlifts, pullups/chin-ups. Your numbers should go up pretty quickly once you start eating more.

Also, do NOT worry about getting TOO big. It will not happen overnight. If you take it slow it'd probably take about a year to put on 10 to 15lbs of muscle. Which is pretty fast, but at your weight likely very doable.

Good luck.
Rjr3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 04:31 PM   #7
deadpool790

Im 5'7 haha I am really light I know but all the cardio up till now that Ive been doing along with my diet has probably caused me to drop the 35 pounds since college. 125pounds is what I weigh at in the morning with no food or anything (boxers)