Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Mass Effect

Unread 11-25-2010, 12:40 AM   #1
nollie523

Adding strength to my helmet

Alright I'm doing Tali from Mass Effect 2 and this helmet is throwing me a few curveballs.
The method I decided on for constructing it is using Featherweights cardboard helmet tutorial and buying a motorcycle face shield off of amazon for the visor part. My problem is the visor is a bit broader in the front than my helmet. It's pretty flexible and I can easily bend it to fit the curve but my problems are how to make the helmet sturdy enough so it doesn't rip or warp the helmet when I attach it. I've read a bit about fiberglassing but I'm pretty clumsy and I'd be afraid of trying that, especially when I don't have a garage or anything and it's too cold to do anything outdoors.
Also once I figure out how to reinforce my helmet how to attach it? I was thinking maybe some kind of epoxy? But i have no idea what kind. It needs to be strong enough that the curve won't pop off. Any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks guys!
nollie523 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-25-2010, 05:12 AM   #2
AznTranquility
Procrastinator

Perhaps reinforce the insides with brush on resin. Or heat gun the visor to fit around your helmet without having to physically bend it in place.

MomoCos FB page progress photos!
Twitter
AznTranquility is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2010, 12:03 AM   #3
nollie523

that would work I'm just not sure what kind of resin. The only thing i'm worried about is buying the wrong type and having it eat through my cardboard and paper mache lol
nollie523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2010, 06:20 PM   #4
Efecss

Maybe a spray on shellack? Put on several cots and sand down. And with resins, you should get a small sample if you can, and test it on a sample of the stuff you made your helmet with.