Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

Unread 11-26-2010, 02:29 AM   #1
heycloud
You got red on you.

Thumbs down Review: Ellome

Seeing as this post was never linked in the Commissioner Review thread and my post asking why it wasn't was deleted (thanks for that by the way 8|), I'll just open a thread up. This post was originally made on October 5th, 2010. It can also be found:

On ACParadise forums: http://www.acparadise.com/forums/vie...p?f=37&t=11341

Quote:
Originally Posted by heycloud View Post
I would absolutely avoid having a cosplay commissioned from Ellome here. Also Ellome on ACP and on deviantART.

A friend of mine, Kal, and I both commissioned here back in April of 2010 to have two Persona 4 outfits done by Fanime 2010 (May, the next month) through another friend of mine who recommended her to us. We were assured she was going to be able to do it. All together with my friend and myself, we paid Ellome about $300 USD to have our stuff done.

We initially wanted to have the outfits shipped to us where we both lived, but apparently there was a slow-down in Ellome's work and we resolved to just picking the outfits up at the con since she was going too. Not once did we receive progress photos from her of the outfits (I suppose we should have asked, but apparently I was too trusting since a very good friend of mine recommended her to us).

Fanime came and that same friend of mine had to be the one to tell us that Ellome "forgot" the outfits and was very sorry. She was willing to give us a partial or full refund. Kal and I agreed to a partial refund at the time and told my other friend to tell Ellome we would go with the partial refund and would work things out when the con was over. In June, I did email her about the details but she took weeks to respond.

When she finally did, she claimed to be having troubles with her email and basically didn't offer any solutions. Never did Ellome actually try to contact us about resolving things, we were always the ones chasing after her. By the end of June, my friend and I decided to go with full refunds on the outfits since up to now, there was still no proof of them ever being made and this was just being drawn out way too long as it was already.

We tried to contact her through deviantART, here on Cosplay.com, ACP, Twitter, Livejournal--mostly we were ignored or were offered no clear answers as to when we'd actually be paid back. There were often excuses about how her bank had frozen her funds and she would only be able to send some money back in increments. Kal and I agreed to this but then Ellome just disappeared off the map again, ignoring our notes and comments on dA (recently, I found our comments were actually hidden on her front page) and setting her once public Twitter to private.

July went by with no updates. August went by with no updates. We would tweet her on a daily basis, leave messages on other sites she frequented too.

On September 3rd, 2010, I received a payment of $26 USD and Kal $31 USD. A note in the payment said this:

Quote:
$120 remaining / I get paid every two weeks and though I'm close to half-time now as opposed to earlier I'll at least send something even if it's small - though next should be more!
While I was glad to have finally received some kind of payment back, she was only planning on giving me back $146? I had paid $152 at least. It's not a great loss, but one worth taking note of.

We tell her on Twitter that we received her payments and look forward to receiving the rest. Two weeks go and pass and now we're into October and nothing more has been paid back. We keep tweeting to her and from what I know because of friends that follow her, she has been active there, just not responding to us.

It's been nearly six months since we were both basically scammed out of $300. Needless to say, Kal and I are very frustrated with her and wouldn't recommend her to anyone planning on doing business with her.
To add onto this, I updated the thread on ACP with:

Quote:
Five days after I made the initial post (October 11th, 2010), Ellome sent $50 USD each of us without any form of communication or even a message on the payment to explain anything.

A comment I had made on her deviantART page on October 5th, 2010 was again, hidden. Yesterday I tried to @ her on Twitter for any more updates on the situation, with no response despite being active there just 3 hours ago.

It's now been seven months since we started this transaction. Ellome still owes both Kal and I $70 USD each.
I tried to @ her on Twitter once again seeing that she had been active but once again I was ignored, despite her being active all day.

The best and only solution to this would honestly be just for Kal and I to get the rest of our refunds, since she is really determined in not talking to us or trying to work out a solid solution with us.
heycloud is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-27-2010, 03:53 PM   #2
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Although I think it was really wrong of the commissioner to cut out all communication and not bother to send you the costumes, I still think it's never a good idea to commission something with a month span. It's too short. Yes, some commissioners do offer to do it within that time but if they aren't as experienced as they say they are then it can end up looking like a rushed shoddy job. She may have thought she could have done it and in the end thought it was too much and gave up. Even then that's not an excuse to still have robbed you and your friend of $70. I hope you get it resolved in the end, next time just don't go to a commissioner based on one person's opinion, it's best to gather as much feedback and background detail as you can. Just because one person had excellent service doesn't mean another person will - this applies to all aspects of life, not just cosplay commissioners.

Good luck.
Usagi Tsukino (School Uniform) - Sailor Moon
Sailor Cosmos - Sailor Moon Sailor Stars
Bubbles - Powerpuff Girls Z

x-Steffi-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2010, 04:21 PM   #3
heycloud
You got red on you.

Thanks x-Steffi-x~

No, I agree, the time did seem short to us but we were reassured she'd be able to do it. She's not inexperienced at least and I hadn't been able to find a negative word about her, so I figured it would have been all right, but first time for everything. And of course having said she "forgot" them implied that they were finished. 9u6 I suppose there's really no telling and obviously they weren't, since she hadn't tried to send us anything. Noted for next time though honestly, if I ever have a next time.
Unread 11-28-2010, 07:28 AM   #4
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Quote:
Thanks x-Steffi-x~

No, I agree, the time did seem short to us but we were reassured she'd be able to do it. She's not inexperienced at least and I hadn't been able to find a negative word about her, so I figured it would have been all right, but first time for everything. And of course having said she "forgot" them implied that they were finished. 9u6 I suppose there's really no telling and obviously they weren't, since she hadn't tried to send us anything. Noted for next time though honestly, if I ever have a next time.
I see, yeah there is a first time for everything, well at least now you can be weary and learn from this horrible experience, when I bought my first two cosplays from ebay I had no idea about rubbish quality or scams etc... (I knew about scams in general but not through cosplay commissions but thankfully they turned out exactly like the picture). Now when I look back I think that I could have easily been one of the unfortunate ones, it's so risky, but sometimes you've just got to take a chance. Maybe in the mean time you can learn how to sew, that's what I did, I didn't get much of a buzz through bought costumes. I just recently finished my second home-made cosplay ever. I only took a years sewing class, but you could easily learn from swing books. It's worth investing in one - since it's always worth knowing how to fix things if your commissioned item gets ripped or damaged. But it's also good for a back up, if a commissioned item goes wrong or something happens to it, you can always make your own. Start basic and go up from there

Unread 01-04-2011, 04:35 AM   #5
heycloud
You got red on you.

Though this is a really belated reply, thanks x-Steffi-x. 8) I really do hope that one day I'll be able to try and make my own things.

Just to update, Ello still has not contacted Kal or myself about any kind of update on our situation. I left her an @ reply on Twitter that she ignored once again. It has now been 8 months.
Unread 01-06-2011, 06:26 PM   #6
heycloud
You got red on you.

Still no more news since then.

Since the holidays have ended, I've begun trying to get into contact with Ellome again on Twitter, ACP, Tumblr and deviantART daily and she fails to answer or even read any of my queries. It's been 8 months and Ellome continues to refuse to step up and take responsibility for her actions.

Any kind of communication would be nice: an update to the rest of the refund schedule or the fact that she doesn't have money to pay us back and if we could just wait a little longer. I am willing to wait, but I need to hear from her first. If anyone can assist us in any way to get in contact with her or even get a word out of her, please PM me and let me know.

She did say she had problems paying us back because she didn't have money, but as I understand it, she's been attending other cons quite regularly.
Unread 01-08-2011, 01:55 AM   #7
Lovelychristina
Free hugs inquire within.

If you paid Via Paypal I would call them and tell them what is going on and Try to press for a Full refund. If she contacts you saying "I paid you so and so amount" just send her the difference
Lovelychristina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2011, 02:05 AM   #8
Kitsoru
Guilty Gear fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovelychristina View Post
If you paid Via Paypal I would call them and tell them what is going on and Try to press for a Full refund. If she contacts you saying "I paid you so and so amount" just send her the difference
Paypal won't do squat after 45 days.
Next Cons:
Youmacon '12
My Curecos
My ACP
My dA
Kitsoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2011, 02:11 AM   #9
Lovelychristina
Free hugs inquire within.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsoru View Post
Paypal won't do squat after 45 days.
I forgot about that ><
Lovelychristina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2011, 04:43 AM   #10
heycloud
You got red on you.

Thanks for the suggestion though, Lovelychristina. 8) I wish it were possible, honestly. 8D;

Funnily, not too long after I posted an update on ACP, she did communicate with me on dA:

Quote:
Hey, you make this easy!

All right, so even though I lost my job last month I'm doing something different now, but it's on a weird/different pay rate. If I'm reading this right I /should/ get my next check Friday or Monday and then I'll be able to send at least half the remaining balance to the both of you if not the whole depending on how it's being calculated.

Going to ALA may have seemed like an odd choice for this sort of change, but since I'm staff there almost everything is covered by that - room, badge, food, etc. Good times.

But yeah! I'll pop you a message Friday if not just a paypal thing. Sorry, bro.
This was over six weeks ago. No Paypal things were sent. A few more follow up tweets were sent and those were all ignored. I admittedly haven't done too much pursuing due to school, midterms and surgery but I do find, she does come to action when I post here.

To count how long this has been, once again, it has now been nine months and Kal and I still have not been refunded, nearing ten and nearing a year.

I still fail to understand what's so hard to stop and drop a note saying there are delays. If she has the time to update her deviantART journal from a few days ago, I do think she has time to stop and tell us what is going on.
Unread 02-28-2011, 12:15 AM   #11
angelbabycakes
Scorchcake

Sadly, I hate to say it, but she has time to update her DA journal because she honestly just doesn't care. Excuse after excuse after excuse can only mean one thing...a scam. I wouldn't wait a single minute more in pursuing a law suit, or at the very least, file a claim with internet investigators that handle online scams. Not sure what all that entails, as I've never had to file with them before, but it is probably beneficial to now take it past your own hands and stop trying to be so understanding about things. Take it to officials who can handle it and serve justice where it needs to be served. That's my opinion anyways.
angelbabycakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2011, 08:12 AM   #12
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbabycakes View Post
Sadly, I hate to say it, but she has time to update her DA journal because she honestly just doesn't care. Excuse after excuse after excuse can only mean one thing...a scam. I wouldn't wait a single minute more in pursuing a law suit, or at the very least, file a claim with internet investigators that handle online scams. Not sure what all that entails, as I've never had to file with them before, but it is probably beneficial to now take it past your own hands and stop trying to be so understanding about things. Take it to officials who can handle it and serve justice where it needs to be served. That's my opinion anyways.
I completely agree. I'd just leave a little note hinting that you are going to take further action and leave it to that - don't bother trying to catch up with her anymore. Chances are she'll see your note anyway. Leave the rest to investigators.

Unread 03-01-2011, 02:30 AM   #13
heycloud
You got red on you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbabycakes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-Steffi-x View Post
I completely agree. I'd just leave a little note hinting that you are going to take further action and leave it to that - don't bother trying to catch up with her anymore. Chances are she'll see your note anyway. Leave the rest to investigators.
Thank you both for your thoughts, they are very much appreciated. 8) However, my friend and I did try earlier in the game to pursue help of the authorities--they never got back to us.

Soon after I posted an update, yet again--she was quick to respond. We seem to have found a stable point of communication, which is all I honestly wanted. The worst thing about this dragging transaction was that she never tried to contact us or reply to me whenever I asked for an update on the situation. I am not about to force someone to pay something they can't pay back if they're really having issues (though honestly this could have all been avoided before), I just don't like being left in the dark.

Will update again, if this ever reaches a resolution.
Unread 03-01-2011, 03:15 AM   #14
angelbabycakes
Scorchcake

Quote:
Thank you both for your thoughts, they are very much appreciated. 8) However, my friend and I did try earlier in the game to pursue help of the authorities--they never got back to us.

Soon after I posted an update, yet again--she was quick to respond. We seem to have found a stable point of communication, which is all I honestly wanted. The worst thing about this dragging transaction was that she never tried to contact us or reply to me whenever I asked for an update on the situation. I am not about to force someone to pay something they can't pay back if they're really having issues (though honestly this could have all been avoided before), I just don't like being left in the dark.

While you seem like a very sweet person, I think this will hurt you in a case like this. :/ I have been down that road before. I was nice, forgiving, etc. etc. I wanted to believe the person was honestly, just having a hard time. Whether they were or were not was not of my concern at the point of taking my money. It's called stealing and whether or not someone is having a hard time, stealing is not the way to go. With your forgiving attitude and naivety, you can expect nothing to come of your stolen money, sadly. People like this just don't care, honestly. It's sad because people like you get their money taken and never get it back. I have almost been on that side, but I opened my eyes. Even if someone were having that much trouble with money, it shouldn't matter if they didn't take your money and spend it on themselves. This person clearly did, or else the money or at the very least, the materials could be sent to you.

I am glad to see you are a wonderful person at heart. I condone you on that, as there aren't many out there. If you've ever been scammed before, however, you'll quickly learn that your forgiving and understanding heart isn't the best place for you to take a gamble on someone you aren't familiar with. Been there, done that. My best advice to you if you aren't going to pursue action is to just take this as a learning experience and become educated in the world of scamming. I know I did. If you decide to ever commission again, I'd make sure you have lots of references from the person and actually contact those people. I hate to see people get scammed, but I hate even more that it's always such sweet people that want to keep believing in the good of humanity. I was one of those people, but I'll be darned if someone is going to steal my hard earned money, whether they really need it or not. In this case, it's a merchant/consumer type deal. It's business, not personal. If you put your heart too much into a business deal, you'll only get hurt. I just can't agree with stealing money from someone. I just don't and won't. That's exactly what this supposed "commissioner" has done. I can only hope your money is returned, or your cosplay sent...at the very least.

Last edited by angelbabycakes : 03-01-2011 at 03:18 AM.
angelbabycakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2011, 07:01 AM   #15
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Quote:

No offense to the commissioner but if she was really having problems, well that's partially her own fault, commissioner NEED to be prepared for what might happen in the future. She had the chance to sort this out with you, but she's digging herself a deeper grave. She could have paid you back ages ago, but with these so called "problems" with her job may be making it harder for her to pay back - if the excuses are true. Even though you managed to get steady communication, don't beat around the bush, if she starts dissappearing again after you mention the refund to her, it's time to really start getting something done.
If she can't give s imple message to all her customers about her issues and can't even offer a resolution, then she's not really a commissioner. But a lying thief.