Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > Other Fashion

Unread 11-29-2010, 01:02 PM   #1
Doctor Shinobi

sewing your own clothes for everyday life.

i thought about it. it sure is cool sewing something and wearing it in an anime con. but have you ever thought of sewing your own cloth and wearing it in everyday life? i am not talking about going with costumes out of cons. i am talking about making your own unique and potentially eye catching outfit.
heck,if i could sew i'd say "screw what fashion dictates,if i can sew something i like to wear then i shall wear it!".

again,i am not talking about wearing super eye catching costumes,but rather normal cloth with your own personal touch.

also,i am not requesting you to tell your opinion here. this is blackmail people,you post your opinion here or Santa Claus gets a bullet! *arrgh pirate voices*
Doctor Shinobi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-29-2010, 01:05 PM   #2
Yukikittie

It would be cool to do. My crazy boss does that, she makes her own scrubs, pants, and shirts.
Unread 11-29-2010, 01:17 PM   #3
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

I do this! Got a pair of knee breeches and a crushed velvet jacket I'm working on at the moment. I'd love to have a nice tweed waistcoat too, but not until I finish these things.

Thing is, though, while it's AWESOME to have clothes that precisely suit your tastes...it's still cheaper and easier to go find something in the shops that's "close enough". And those mass-production sewers who make eight million shirts a day for twelve cents, oi. Even if it's just a matter of having more practice (much more), most of the time they're better sewers than I am. Sometimes it's an uphill battle to convince myself that looking cool is worth the extra work. It IS--usually.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)

Last edited by Mangochutney : 11-29-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2010, 01:18 PM   #4
AngelStarAvalon
Lacus Clyne

I would do that if I had the time. I've been wanting to do that since I started sewing 5 years ago. But between school work and cosplay commissions for friends, I've had no time to make everyday clothes for myself. I have made a pair pants for my boyfriends birthday though.

"If you have the power to make a differance why not use it?" ~ Mwu La Fllaga
AngelStarAvalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2010, 01:36 PM   #5
Amanita

I make lots of things to wear everyday. But my fashion sense is extremely unorthadox, and the things I like can't always be found in stores, especially not in plus sizes. I'm not of the priveleged body type, so it completely eludes some people's minds that I might want cool clothes.

I told my father that I don't even know if I will be able to make a living if I go into fashion design, as I am not at all interested in making yet another pair of blue jeans or hoodie, and I don't care at all about "trendy".
The hosts of "What not to Wear" have me rolling my eyes a lot, and I find a lot of their makeovers to be boring, everyone comes out looking the same. WHY must everyone own denim? WHY must all women color their hair?
I understand teaching some people how to choose clothing that's appropriate for the workplace, or how to find clothes that flatter their bodies. But does doing so really mean taking a cookie cutter to everyone?
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2010, 02:01 PM   #6
Kacela

I would love to make my own clothes (as a lot of people have already suggested) but time is my major enemy =[ I struggle enough to make costumes on time and meet uni deadlines, making my own clothes would just be another distraction I guess.
Evie (Vindictus) - May 2012
Belle (Disney's Beauty and the Beast - Ball Gown) - May 2012
Himiko (Warriors Orochi 2) - July 2012
Xing Cai (Dynasty Warriors 7) - October 2012
Madam Red (Kuroshitsuji) - October 2012
Kacela is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2010, 02:45 PM   #7
Brsis
Shitsuji DESU~~~

I make many of my own clothes (Not all, but many) - nearly all of my evening clothes and 'fancy' stuff is my own, whereas much of the stuff I wear to work (Which obviously has to be a little more sensible) is off-the-peg. They're sometimes not much more 'normal' than my costumes, but I have an eclectic dress sense and an unusual figure, which means bought clothes never fit me right.

I figure if you have the skills, why limit yourself? You do have to get used to having fewer clothes, keeping them for longer, and sometimes taking a lot more care over washing your clothes, and it actually works out more expensive (Plus the time you spend!) but I think it's worth it to be unique and reflect your inner self.
and if you decode its complicated patterns you inevitably decide you're God,
to the considerable detriment of your social life."
Brsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2010, 07:03 PM   #8
nannyogg
:)

I don't make much of my own clothes any more, but I make them for my kids. My oldest daughter swears she wants a wardrobe that's 100% mom made. I'm teaching her to sew, so now she has things we made together. My other kids don't wear the things I made quite as much as she does.
nannyogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2010, 07:10 PM   #9
nachan

I enjoy sewing for myself, and I probably sew more for myself these days than for cosplay! It's interesting, I tend to get more compliments on things I've sewn for myself than things I buy from the store, maybe because I'm really expressing my personality in what I sew =) But when you sew for yourself, you have to deal with your mistakes as well =/ I made a cute shirt, but the casing for the drawstring was all crooked, and I forgot to finish my seams so it's started to come apart from being washed!

One of my sewing books talked about having a sewing philosophy when it comes to sewing your own clothes. One approach is to sew hard, buy easy, meaning you sew fancy clothes that might be too expensive in a store, and you buy the easy stuff cheap. Or you can sew easy and buy hard if you don't have the skill to work with fancy fabrics or do detailing.
nachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2010, 08:03 PM   #10
Xanarcah
=..= rawr?

For the life of me, I can't make "normal" clothing properly. Mass manufacturers have the process down to a science. Things like tshirts baffle me because they're so simple even the slightest imperfection will look odd. My respect goes to those who make and wear their own clothing. o:

I'm definitely more suited to things that are distinctly costumey; I do mostly JRock cosplay, so if something is slightly off, it's hidden by the sheer strangeness of the outfit or by a billion ribbons or ruffles of frayed bits.

I do like to make shoulder bags and arm warmers and other accessories for everyday use, though. Just not full pieces of clothing.
- GMG Erza

Preregistered For
- GeekGirlCon '13
- Aki-Con '13
- Sakura-Con '14
Xanarcah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2010, 09:03 PM   #11
Rejected-Spork
Bad Wolf

My mother made all of her own clothes when she was in law school, because she was literally dirty poor. xD
Honestly, I love clothes shopping too much to make my own clothes. xD Plus, I barely have thew patience to make a cosplay, I couldn't imagine making my daily clothes from scratch.

Next Con; Megacon 2012
Cosplays in Progress; Millia Rage from Guilty Gear - 50%
Harley Quinn from Batman: Arkham Asylum - 10%

Check out Mustache'd Meddlers Cosplay on Facebook! LIKE US! c:
Rejected-Spork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2010, 09:24 PM   #12
Amanita

I don't see the point in making my own t-shirts, or in buying knit fabric to make my own spandex leggings. Those can be bought for less than it would cost to make them, the exception being if I wanted either of those things in a really unusual fabric, like a t-shirt in metallic fabric. So I buy those. But when it comes to cloaks, robes, and other things that you just can't get off the rack easily, I mostly make my own. Of course I will buy something fancy or unusual if I like it enough
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2010, 09:47 PM   #13
uniquecreator
Costume Designer

Sewing is an art. Not many people respect handmade clothing anymore because they feel that it is cheaper to go out and purchase something from a store. Yes, purchasing most of the things outside in a store may be cheaper, but it will never give you the unique/one of a kind look that handmade clothing will give you. If you reproduce a piece that you saw in the store for about $4,000 and you make it for maybe $150, then you will respect sewing a little bit more. It is better to sew those pieces that you want and can't find or that are too expensive for you to purchase.

T-shirts and jeans, I would not suggest. I know that back when I was in school, all I knew how to sew were skirts because they were the most easiest for me to do. I always got compliments and many asked where I bought my skirts, it just felt great to say "Thank you", "I made it myself". It felt great having a piece of clothing that I knew no one else had. So to encourage those that are new at sewing, first have a lot of patience, even the experts make mistakes, but we learn from it. Then, muslin fabric is your best friend, this cotton base fabric is for experimental purposes - you cut your piece in muslin first and if it fits good, then you cut it on your more expensive fabric.

Start with simple projects and progress from there. You will be proud of what you make and no one else will have in the fabric you have chosen. Patterns are very important too. Simplicity is the most simple one to start learning with. Then Butterick is a intermediate level and then advance is Vogue. All of them will require adjustments to your body because all bodies are not the same.
uniquecreator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2010, 03:18 AM   #14
Annwyn
Daisy Viktoria

I sometimes make my own clothes. I used to make a lot, but then I started focusing more on costuming and high fashion. Now that I've expanded my clothing line to include everyday items, there will be a lot more of that in my own wardrobe!
Unread 12-24-2010, 09:41 AM   #15
fujyoshi
half elf flame haze

I have made my own outfits before that were outside of cosplay but most 'a they would probably still be considered over the top. Now that its winter its kinda hard to wear them. I'll wait to the spring or something.
Manjoume Jun - Yu-Gi-Oh GX
fujyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote