Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Expo

Unread 11-29-2010, 07:02 PM   #1
HannahL

Anime Expo Weapons Policy 2011

Okay, although it's a bit early, I'm starting a new weapon's policy for next year (2011). Until I'm told by the powers-that-be otherwise, the rules should be the same as last year:

DIMENSIONS FOR ALL WEAPONS:
1. Under 7 ft
2. Under 15 lbs (and I WILL be bringing a scale next time)
3. The ONLY place metal is allowed is in the handle (i.e. metal-handled lightsaber)

SPECIFIC ITEMS:

GUNS:
1. Any an all projectile weapons CANNOT have been capable of shooting ANYthing and ANYtime, no matter what the current condition. These include, but certainly not limited to: AIRSOFTS, pellet guns, bb guns, rubberband guns, NERF guns, etc...
- The ONLY exception to this is for emptied waterguns.

FUTURISTIC GUNS:
1. If the silhouette looks like a futuristic gun, then it's all right.

REALISTIC GUNS:
All realistic looking guns MUST follow the following criteria:
1. Cannot be a real gun
2. Must be PAINTED approximately 50% of the following colors, either singlely or in some kind of pattern:
________a. white
________b. bright red
________c. bright orange
________d. bright yellow
________e. bright green
________f. bright blue
________g. bright pink
________h. bright purple
________i. or transparent
3. By "realistic," I include the following: modern guns, antique guns, all-wood guns/rifles, steam-punky guns (depending on the color and amount of steam-punkery added), etc...

Examples of realisitc guns: Yoko Ritona's gun from Gurren Lagann.

Note: for those of you thinking "But..." or "It looks horrible" or "It doesn't go with my outfit," this is California Law (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12551.php). There's also additional information thanks to BryantQ ( http://www.anime-expo.org/forums/ind...#entry54 2189 )
For those of you saying "But they sell all black [insert gun] in the dealer's hall," the ones in the dealer's hall is for private use in a private setting. As long as you're on the convention center's grounds, either keep it in the box it came in, put it in bag check, in your car, or hotel.
And lastly, for those of saying "But [insert convention] doesn't have that kind of policy," we are not [insert convention] nor is [insert convention] us. Additionally, I would ask you to actually read the weapons policy of other conventions. You will see that we are more allow some things [insert convention] doesn't allow and vis versa.

SWORDS/BLADES
1. All swords must be BLUNT (i.e. not sharp). In otherwords, if I can open a letter with it, it's too sharp.
2. NO LIVE STEEL. AT ALL. "Live steel" is any metal sharpened to the point that it can cut.

METAL SWORDS/BLADES:
1. Must have a sheath.
________a. Sheath must have some kind of anchor (i.e. a hole) on both the sword and sheath that can allow for zipties to be tied from the sheath to the sword.
___________Example: Bleach character Urahara's sword Benihime: has no anchor on the sheath. Solution: Drill a hole (wide enough for a zip tie to pass through).
___________Example: Naruto Shippuden character Sasuke's sword: it has no anchor on the sheath AND sword. Unless you can find a way to drill holes in the sheath AND sword, just get the wooden one.
2. Swords cannot be taken out of sheath on convention grounds (except in some cases of Masquerade performers, etc...)
3. NO LIVE STEEL AT ALL!!

NON-METAL SWORDS/BLADES:
1. As long as it's not sharp, you're good to go.

NOTE: There is a reason I have "NO LIVE STEEL" down three times.
These also apply to things like kunai, shuriken, knives, or any other sharp object.
The only thing that is completely banned that are (metal) throwing knives, which are illegal in Los Angeles.

INCENDIARY DEVICES:
1. Cannot be metal
2. Must have safety colors
3. Preferably hollowed out (for items like dynamite sticks) and/or light

SPORTS EQUIPMENT:
1. Bats
________a. Any and ALL bats cannot be made of metal or wood
2. Golf clubs
________a. Cannot be made of metal or wood - bring plastic ones

KITCHEN EQUIPMENT:
1. Non-sharp equipment (example: wooden spoons, frying pans, etc...)
________a. Cannot be made of metal
2. Sharp equipment (example: knives, graters, etc...)
________a. They are not allowed.

NON POWER TOOLS:
1. Cannot be made of metal (preferably, because we use tools during the convention and that would just seem hypocritical)
________a. If we get a whisper of a words that someone is using non-power tools in an irresponsible way (i.e. acting like a no0b) we can add them to the banned list.

OTHER WEAPONS/STUFF:
1. Boomerangs
________a. Cannot be a real boomerang
2. Bow and/or arrows:
________a. Cannot be a real bow and/or arrow
________b. Arrow must have a blunt tip
________c. Bow must be unstrung or have low-tensile thread, string, etc...
3. Canes
________a. If it's a medical cane: nothing is needed
________b. All other types of canes: it cannot be metal

4. Chains
________a. If the chain is metal, it must be 12 inches and under and no more than 1 inch thick.
________b. If the chain is not metal, under a reasonable length so that it doesn't pose a fire hazard or cause other people to trip (post questions about this)
5. Flagpoles
________a. Cannot be metal
6. Staffs
________a. Cannot be metal

THINGS THAT YOU MIGHT WANT TO GET PEACEBONDED ANYWAY EVEN IF YOU DON'T NEED IT (technically) SO YOU DON'T GET STOPPED:
1. Giant fans
2. Sword umbrellas
3. Kitchen equipment (minus a few restrictions; see above)
4. Sports equipment (minus a few restrictions; see above)
5. Musical instruments

THINGS THAT YOU DON'T NEED TO GET PEACEBONDED
1. Musical instruments
2. Sports equipments that do are not included in the sports equipment section

BANNED WEAPONS/STUFF
:
1. Paddles (those used in corporal punishment): includes but certainly not limited to yaoi/yuri paddles
2. Airsofts
3. Any projectile weapons
________a. Guns: only emptied waterguns are allowed
________b. Bows: cannot be strung or must use a low tensile-strength length of something (like yarn)
4. Working weapons
5. Martial arts weapons used for martial arts purposes
________a. This includes things like nunchucks, escrema sticks, etc...
6. Power tools
7. Signs
________a. signs with words (English, foreign, or otherwise) are banned including but not limited to solicitations (i.e. "Yaoi for $$$") or other general signs ((i.e. "Rawr means I love you in dinosaur")
8. Costumes that may be confused with LOCAL law enforement or emergency personnel
9. Handcuffs when handcuffed to another person
10. Stilts like these: http://www.1st-in-unique-gifts.com/2...s-serious-fun/
11. All-metal keyblades b/c it has metal other than the handle and no sheath

(Will update as soon as school dies down)
Please do point out any grammatical/spelling errors or clarifications.
11/12/2010 - added #3 under "DIMENSIONS FOR ALL WEAPONS"; added specific examples for guns; banned weapons; added gun info thanks to BryantQ; added "INCENDIARY DEVICES"; added "BANNED WEAPONS"; added "THINGS THAT YOU MIGHT WANT TO GET PEACEBONDED ANYWAY EVEN IF YOU DON'T NEED IT..."; added "OTHER WEAPONS/STUFF"; added "SPORTS EQUIPMENT"; added "KITCHEN EQUIPMENT"; added "NON POWER TOOLS"
11/17/2010 - added 1-inch width to metal chain restriction.
1/5/2011 - added all metal keyblades to list of banned/restricted weapons
1/9/2011 - added "THINGS THAT DON'T NEED TO BE PEACEBONDED"

Last edited by HannahL : 05-24-2011 at 08:36 PM. Reason: add musical instruments
HannahL is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-01-2010, 12:58 AM   #2
HannahL

FAQs

What is peace bonding?
Peace bonding means that you, the attendee, shows visible proof that a prop weapon meets with the Anime Expo’s® weapons policy. What that means for you is that you must head to the peace bonding stations in order to get you prop weapon peace bonded (i.e. we tie a zip tie around your prop)

Can I peace bond my own prop?
No.

What is live steel?

Live steel is any metal sharpened that can cut. For metal swords, the blade must be as blunt as spoon.

Can I cut off the tail of the peacebond?
No, we need to see if from a distance. To that effect, do not wrap it around itself and DO NOT CUT OFF THE ENDS.

Where can I put my weapon if I do not have a car or a hotel room (that's not approved)?
At the bag check in West Hall. There is a fee so be forewarned and prepare ahead

But XYZ convention allowed my prop weapon, why not here?
XYZ convention is not Anime Expo® and Anime Expo® is not XYZ convention. We allow some things XYZ does not allow and vice versa.

I have a realistic looking gun but it looks terrible with the safety colors. Can’t you just let it go?

No. Anime Expo ® will comply with California regulations regarding safety colors. You may either paint on the colors or adhere the color with colored tape (such as Duct tape) [This means that you have to get something that has a strong stickiness like Duct tape or gaffer's tape in the safety color that you tape onto your prop. Painters tape, scotch tape that's been colored with marker is not what this {<-} refers to]. Having bits of colored paper and taping them on with something similar to scotch tape is NOT allowed.

Where is the peacebonding tables?
TBA but usually somewhere in South Hall and at Convention HQ

Can I take my prop to the main events hall?
As long as it's small (i.e. able to fit inside a bag) and not in anyone's way. This is so that the prop doesn't pose a fire hazard problem.

I just bought this at the dealer's hall, is it okay?
Look through the weapons policy and if it complies, then come to the peacebonding stations to get it approved (if you want to carry it). Otherwise, leave it in the original package and/or bag.

For at con people who come to the peacebonding station: Where's ABC workshop/panel/room/gathering/etc...?
I don't know. Maybe, if you're really lucky, I'll print out a gathering scedule, as long as there are no changes from when I print it, I'll tell you. Otherwise, ask info.

What's changed in the policy from last year?
Nothing so far.

(Not exactly a question but...) I'm mock fighting/brandishing/doing-things-I-shouldn't-be-doing-because-I'm-a-no0b-or-didn't-read-the-code-of-conduct-or-some-other-reason. Look at meeee!
Stop that. I'll only give you so many warnings before I pull your badge.

What are the rules for weapons participating in Masquerade?
This only applies to the Main Masquerade, other masquerades (like chibi masquerade) follows the general weapons policy: If you're a participant in Main Masquerade, then all you have to worry is that the prop in question is not live steel, not a real gun, and doesn't hurt others.

What do you mean "Sheath must have some kind of anchor (i.e. a hole) on both the sword and sheath that can allow for zipties to be tied from the sheath to the sword" for metal swords? How does that work?
I'll post a picture whenever I have time but it's basically this: we take a ziptie, ziptie a loop in the handle portion, ziptie a loop in the sword portion, ziptie the two together and tighten until you can't pull the sword out from the sheath. Therefore, there needs to be something that holds the zipties back (such as a hilt or something similar) or a hole (usually in the sheath). Now, there are ways of doing this so that you don't have a bunch of zipties sticking all over the place but I can't work miracles. For something like: Sasuke's sword, there's nothing that prevents the zipties from slipping off, which is a no-no and defeats the purpose of having it peacebonded. For something like this: Benihime, it's also not allowed BUT I had one attendee drill/dig a hole big enough for the ziptie to pass through. You don't have to do this but if you don't the prop will not be allowed. And, as always, NO LIVE STEEL!

What about whips?
Whips like Indiana Jones (bullwhips) are not allowed; ones shaped like horse whips (like Ciel from Kuroshitsuji) are allowed.

FAQs added 1/9/2011
Added whips clarification 6/20/2011

Last edited by HannahL : 06-20-2011 at 03:27 AM. Reason: added this faq section
Unread 12-29-2010, 01:50 AM   #3
TsukiOkami
Vox

Thank you! I'm still waiting for those vuvuzela's to be banned, but hey, I still appreciate this!

Nothing has really changed from last year, luckily for me. I won't forget, I don't want to be stopped by staff ;3;
But thanks for posting this! I think it should be a sticky, maybe?
TsukiOkami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2010, 01:57 AM   #4
W4RH0US3

So you CANNOT BRING nerf guns?
W4RH0US3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2010, 11:25 AM   #5
ElCapitan
Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RH0US3 View Post
That is correct.

Derf Tang
Operations Director, AM˛ 2012
ElCapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2010, 01:40 PM   #6
El_Duque
miyoshi82

Simply put you can't bring props that can fire or resemble a real firearm.

As for the Vuvuzelas, since AX took place during the World Cup I'm assuming it will be that time only that was a hot item. It was the only major con that took place during the sporting event and everyone followed suit and banned them right afterwards (Otakon and SD Comic-Con).

Last edited by El_Duque : 01-03-2011 at 04:44 PM.
El_Duque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2011, 12:49 AM   #7
HannahL

Quote:
Right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCapitan View Post
That is correct.
Exactly
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Duque View Post
Simply put you can't bring props that can't fire or resemble a real firearm.

As for the Vuvuzelas, since AX took place during the World Cup I'm assuming it will be that time only that was a hot item. It was the only major con that took place during the sporting event and everyone followed suit and banned them right afterwards (Otakon and SD Comic-Con).
I... yeah. We were just "lucky" that were one of the first conventions that happened during the time. I can only think of the things that people might do - maybe something with Kate and William? O.o
Unread 01-03-2011, 01:51 AM   #8
Ginryuu
Needs More Bling

I have some questions...

I have a costume I'm planning on competing in the masquerade at AX in '12. I'm assuming the weapons policy won't drastically change, so I'm asking now so I have time to make adjustments if necessary. In this costume, I have two things that I'm wondering if I should modify or scrap.

One is a bazooka. I was going to use nerf guns as a base and/or parts (depending on what I could find). They'd be taken apart and put together in different ways and very much so no longer operate-able. I'm going to go and assume that this will not be tolerated even if it's just for masquerade use. So then assuming I can make it out of something else like wood or pvc or whatever I think of that's not nerf guns, could I use it in the masquerade without the 50% obnoxious on it because it would detract from the look of it and thusly nullify the point of having it for the competition. If not than oh well, I'll just not make it at all.

The other thing is a chain. It is more than 12" long...more than 1" thick (barely)...and metal. The thing is that it's a necklace. I have a photo of it here:
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2490014/
I'm asking because it's not a weapon, it's an accessory. I'm also willing to have it peace-bonded if need be. If this won't work, I can substitute a plastic chain. I'm also curious as to masq/non-masq on this one, since I chose metal in the first place with the masquerade in mind.

And on a side note...none of your links are working for me...(and I'm kinda curious as to the stilts)
Kotsubaki Sentarou (Bleach), Jin (Samurai Champloo), Kittan Bachika [pre-timeskip] (Gurren Lagann), Tsuzuki Asato (Yami no Matsuei), Giriko (Soul Eater), Severus Snape (Harry Potter), Tulio (The Road to El Dorado), Leon Garcia de Asturias (Trinity Blood), Senri (+Anima), Serpico (Berserk)
Cosplays in Progress
Leon Garcia de Austrias (Trinity Blood)
My ULTIMATE Cosplay List!
http://www.cosplay.com/journal/m143513/

Last edited by Ginryuu : 01-03-2011 at 02:34 AM.
Ginryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2011, 01:55 AM   #9
W4RH0US3

Wait how bout this?
http://www.blueguns.com/default.asp?
W4RH0US3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2011, 02:46 AM   #10
Hiiro55

okay so I've never been to an expo b4 so I'm going as Sora...Can the keyblade be made of stainless steel? It doesn't have a sharp edge or sheath because it's a key. So does it have to be made of wood???
Hiiro55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2011, 03:17 AM   #11
HannahL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginryuu View Post
I have some questions...

I have a costume I'm planning on competing in the masquerade at AX in '12. I'm assuming the weapons policy won't drastically change, so I'm asking now so I have time to make adjustments if necessary. In this costume, I have two things that I'm wondering if I should modify or scrap.

One is a bazooka. I was going to use nerf guns as a base and/or parts (depending on what I could find). They'd be taken apart and put together in different ways and very much so no longer operate-able. I'm going to go and assume that this will not be tolerated even if it's just for masquerade use. So then assuming I can make it out of something else like wood or pvc or whatever I think of that's not nerf guns, could I use it in the masquerade without the 50% obnoxious on it because it would detract from the look of it and thusly nullify the point of having it for the competition. If not than oh well, I'll just not make it at all.

The other thing is a chain. It is more than 12" long...more than 1" thick (barely)...and metal. The thing is that it's a necklace. I have a photo of it here:
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2490014/
I'm asking because it's not a weapon, it's an accessory. I'm also willing to have it peace-bonded if need be. If this won't work, I can substitute a plastic chain. I'm also curious as to masq/non-masq on this one, since I chose metal in the first place with the masquerade in mind.
And on a side note...none of your links are working for me...(and I'm kinda curious as to the stilts)
For Masquerade, you don't have to worry about the Weapons policy as much. The only thing that you have to consider for Masquerade if that a weapon does not have live steel and isn't a real gun or bow and arrow or something like that. Masquerade has a different standard for weapons than everywhere else. There's usually soemone from the peacebonding team that takes off the peacebonds (i.e. zip ties) for the duration of Masquerade and puts them back on for anyone that wants it.
Quote:
That's fine. Just keep it that color and make sure it's under 15 lbs and under 7 ft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj5535 View Post
okay so I've never been to an expo b4 so I'm going as Sora...Can the keyblade be made of stainless steel? It doesn't have a sharp edge or sheath because it's a key. So does it have to be made of wood???
Nothing (except for certain swords) can have metal other than the handle. In other words, your keyblade CANNOT be all metal. You can have it made out of wood (which is the most common thing I usually see), plastic, fabric, fairy dust, etc... And make sure that the chain at the end of the keyblade is the required length if it's made of metal.

Last edited by HannahL : 01-06-2011 at 03:25 AM. Reason: re-clarify by undoing my first clarification
Unread 01-06-2011, 08:38 AM   #12
Ginryuu
Needs More Bling

Mkay, thanks a bunch!

Out of curiosity...can I wear my metal chain rosary around the hall? Or should I make a plastic one for that...because this is a costume I'd like to wear around con too.
Kotsubaki Sentarou (Bleach), Jin (Samurai Champloo), Kittan Bachika [pre-timeskip] (Gurren Lagann), Tsuzuki Asato (Yami no Matsuei), Giriko (Soul Eater), Severus Snape (Harry Potter), Tulio (The Road to El Dorado), Leon Garcia de Asturias (Trinity Blood), Senri (+Anima), Serpico (Berserk)
Cosplays in Progress
Leon Garcia de Austrias (Trinity Blood)
My ULTIMATE Cosplay List!
http://www.cosplay.com/journal/m143513/
Ginryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2011, 06:45 PM   #13
kenshin-chan64
Titillating Tuba Player

intresting to see instruments up there. would that mean if i had say, a real flute as a prop, i should have it peace bounded?
kenshin-chan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2011, 11:29 AM   #14
ElCapitan
Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshin-chan64 View Post
intresting to see instruments up there. would that mean if i had say, a real flute as a prop, i should have it peace bounded?
The point of that note is that if you want to be entirely sure that you won't get questioned over it, then the best course of action is to get anything remotely weapon-like peacebonded. That way, instead of potentially trying to explain to someone later on that your prop does not count as a weapon, you simply show them the zip-tie and move along.

Derf Tang
Operations Director, AM˛ 2012
ElCapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2011, 12:24 PM   #15
kenshin-chan64
Titillating Tuba Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCapitan View Post
The point of that note is that if you want to be entirely sure that you won't get questioned over it, then the best course of action is to get anything remotely weapon-like peacebonded. That way, instead of potentially trying to explain to someone later on that your prop does not count as a weapon, you simply show them the zip-tie and move along.
hm, okay. i guess that's going to be a decent idea when i get around to making a cosplay with my tuba. i'll keep that in mind for then.
kenshin-chan64 is offline   Reply With Quote