Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-31-2015, 06:47 PM   #1
fukuronoki
Actual Owl

Exclamation Can I lose 20-30 pounds in 2 months?

I want to lose a good amount of weight before KawaiiKon in March, but I'm unsure of how to lose such a large amount in such little time and in a healthy way. I've started dieting hoping to eat about 1000-1200 calories a day and I plan on going on 30 minute runs every evening. Is there another way I should be going about this in order to lose the amount I want to lose in that amount of time? Should I add more exercise? Eat less? Eat more? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

I plan on cosplay as fem!Haruka Nanase for a couple of days at the convention so having a nice body would be appreciated, since I'm going to be wearing a swimsuit for it, which is why I want to lose all this weight. I know I should have started sooner but I hadn't planned to be cosplaying as her until just recently.

Also, anybody else planning to go to KawaiiKon? I'm excited to hear who will be there!

- fukuronoki
fukuronoki is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-31-2015, 07:34 PM   #2
FearTheAsian117

2 months for 30 pounds is.......doable though I don't know how advised it would be. the lower end, around 20, is probably more feasible to SAFELY do. I'm down about 12 pounds in 3.5 weeks due to diet and exercise. So I suppose its doable. The thing about weightloss is the beginning you actually start losing quite a bit then plateau as your body wants to hold onto the fat stores.

Anyway. Is it possible 30 pounds in two months? Yeah probably. If you wanna be more safe, I'd say make the goal 20.

Your calorie count should be roughly 10 calories per pound of body weight with a slight deficit from that number (This is a rule of thumb, not necessarily hard law). Diet's vary from person to person. Some find better results with Keto, some with 40%carbs/40%protein/20%fat for your calories. It really just depends on you and trying to find what works for you. Cardio and High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) are the best ways to shave fat.

My disclaimer is keep up the dedication to working out and dieting, however, BE SAFE ABOUT IT! Do your research as to what your goals are. I'm going for shear muscle toning and fat burning. Others go for building, some just go for trimming.

PM me if you have any other questions. Coincidental I'm doing a lot of my shredding for Haruka as well XD but male version :P

~Fear

https://www.facebook.com/FTACosplayAndAnime/

Upcoming Cosplay:

Haruka Nanase from Free! Iwatobi Swim Club!

Completed Cosplay:

Lie Ren-RWBY
Death the Kid-Soul Eater

Next Con (And upcoming):
Anime Boston 2015
Anime North 2015
Otakon 2015
FearTheAsian117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2015, 07:52 PM   #3
fukuronoki
Actual Owl

At this point, I'm mostly worried about losing fat, muscle tone and such can come later when I have more time, for sure. Thank you for the advice! Could you help explain what you mean by ten calories for each pound? Do you mean that, if someone has a 2000 calorie diet and they wanted to lose 10 pounds that they should start intaking 1900 calories instead of 2000 to help lose the weight? So for someone who wants to lose 20 pounds then they should intake about 1800 calories a day?

Do you have any recommendations for any workouts that you find help a lot? On top of losing weight for this cosplay, I also have my sister's wedding coming up that I'd like to lose some weight for too. So lots of pressure, lol!

It's really great to hear from someone who's losing weight for (almost) the same cosplay. It's pretty tough to want to cosplay as someone who does sports for a living because they are some of the healthiest characters with bodies formed from daily workouts. There's a lot of pressure to want to look as good as they do, lol.
fukuronoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2015, 08:07 PM   #4
FearTheAsian117

So if you have a 2000 Calorie maintaining diet. Id say around 1700-1800 calories. It really depends on the size. Someone whos tiny like 140 pounds, well, for the most part I would say maintain not try and lose, cause that's anorexia and that's unhealthy. It really depends on your current weight and level of activity.

I am a very active person. I weightlift, do Judo, Fencing, and Insanity. For better results, you really want to go with High Intensity Interval Training. You can look up some stuff online. Itll be a lot of cardio and sprinting types for short bursts. For example 30s of one exercise, 30s of another, 30s of a different one, and then another 30s then a 30s rest. But you should be pushing that whole time. I highly recommend insanity. It kicks your a** but man does it really do wonders. However, it can be a bit hard on the knees as it's a lot of jumping and stuff. The cardio you're doing is great as well. Keep that up, but do not over exert yourself, you don't want your body to just crumble XD.

Calculate your calorie intake based on your exercise as well because you really need to replenish your muscles, otherwise you're body will go through cannibalization and you'll lose a lot of muscle. Lower your carb intake is huge. Fat generally doesn't actually come from fat. Most of it comes through carbs. So just make sure you're not eating too too many. More proteins and veggies. My usual rule of thumb for dieting (If I'm not being super strict on my diet as I am now) is avoid eating anything with your hands. In the sense that most things that are bad for you, you eat with your hands. Pizza, chips, fries, bread, etc.

Eggs and veggies are awesome. I think theres a thread in where the person posted a general Keto diet. Which is what I am currently doing. But as I said before DO YOUR RESEARCH FOR WHAT IS BEST FOR YOU AND SO YOU CAN ALSO STAY SAFE!

I was relatively healthy XD but cosplaying Haru is what really pushed me and my dedication to get serious about getting a solid beach/swimmers body XD plus it'd jsut be better for my health in general

~Fear

https://www.facebook.com/FTACosplayAndAnime/

Upcoming Cosplay:

Haruka Nanase from Free! Iwatobi Swim Club!

Completed Cosplay:

Lie Ren-RWBY
Death the Kid-Soul Eater

Next Con (And upcoming):
Anime Boston 2015
Anime North 2015
Otakon 2015
FearTheAsian117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2015, 04:43 PM   #5
Divayth_Fyr

Losing a pound a week is roughly a 500 calorie deficit per day.

Losing 30 pounds across 8 weeks would be just under 4 pounds a week, meaning you'd have to eat about nothing at all or run for 30 minutes straight every single day and only eat ~400 calories. Meaning maybe a sandwich and some water.

Doable, sure, but not exactly safe. Check out myfitnesspal or any other diet calculators for more info
Divayth_Fyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2015, 11:05 PM   #6
Mankey

It's definitely possible. It'll just take an awful lot of dedication and some money. Technically, you can lose the weight simply by dropping your calories so low and doing your exercise. But if you don't control the macronutrients you're eating, then there's a chance that a good deal of the weight that you lose may be muscle, which won't really make you look much thinner. If you choose to go for that 1200 calorie diet, you should make sure you don't do it for more than the 2 months, as going any further is unhealthy.

You're definitely on the right track doing cardio, though. Personally, I feel like you should have a couple hundred more calories for that reason alone, but you don't have to listen to what I say.

Just as a tip, too: Eat plenty of protein. It helps keep you full longer, and when I first starting eating more of it I found that my sugar cravings went down as well. Whether that'll work for you or not is questionable, though, as everyone's body is different.
Mankey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2015, 07:38 AM   #7
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

With a goal like that, you're going to take extreme measures that you won't keep up for two months--in short order you'll give up, and you'll have no results and blame yourself and feel bad. A calorie intake that restricted, in addition to exercise, won't feel good and will probably make your family and friends worried about you. You likely won't have energy for much else. Losing that much weight in that short a time is a little like taking on a part-time job (at least) in addition to your other responsibilities.

How about this: adjust your goal. Go for your runs, try to find other ways to incorporate exercise into your day, and reduce your calories somewhat. Only *somewhat*. Not by half. The weight will come off more slowly, but you'll be able to keep up your efforts for more than a week without feeling miserable. And when the con comes around, put the swimsuit on your body at whatever weight it is and be proud of what you've done because you went about it sensibly and with your good health in mind.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Your Mother [Debbie Does Dallas XXIII] (8%)

Last edited by Mangochutney : 02-09-2015 at 07:45 AM.
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2015, 09:57 AM   #8
Rinkujutsu

Just thought I'd throw in my two cents . Don't change how much you eat, change HOW you eat. Changing what you eat will help you lose weight a lot faster than simply decreasing your calories. I recommend reading the books Wheat Belly and Grain Brain, they expose scientific evidence about gluten (found in the several grains including wheat, rye and others) and its correlation to weight/brain related problems. It would take too long to describe the evidence here, but try going on a gluten-free, high fat (fat does NOT make you fat), low-carb diet and incorporate an exercise routine into your schedule (this is what I am doing). Eliminate as much processed food and sugar as possible and eat lots of fresh food. You will not only lose weight, but you will feel amazing on this healthy diet! I hope that helps !

Last edited by Rinkujutsu : 02-12-2015 at 10:00 AM.
Rinkujutsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2015, 10:37 AM   #9
division-ten
Yes, I AM an Albino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinkujutsu View Post
Just thought I'd throw in my two cents . Don't change how much you eat, change HOW you eat. Changing what you eat will help you lose weight a lot faster than simply decreasing your calories. I recommend reading the books Wheat Belly and Grain Brain, they expose scientific evidence about gluten (found in the several grains including wheat, rye and others) and its correlation to weight/brain related problems. It would take too long to describe the evidence here, but try going on a gluten-free, high fat (fat does NOT make you fat), low-carb diet and incorporate an exercise routine into your schedule (this is what I am doing). Eliminate as much processed food and sugar as possible and eat lots of fresh food. You will not only lose weight, but you will feel amazing on this healthy diet! I hope that helps !
I'm going to say a low carb diet made me REALLY sick. My advice is the latter half- a low process diet. Fresh or frozen fruits and veg, wild grains (oats, barley, etc) lean meats, eggs, etc. avoid boxed and processed foods.

Good luck.
Otakon: '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14
Zenkaicon: '09
Katsucon: '10, '15
Animenext: '10, '11, '14
division-ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2015, 10:59 AM   #10
Rinkujutsu

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by division-ten View Post
I'm going to say a low carb diet made me REALLY sick. My advice is the latter half- a low process diet. Fresh or frozen fruits and veg, wild grains (oats, barley, etc) lean meats, eggs, etc. avoid boxed and processed foods.

Good luck.
You definitely have to know what you are doing. That's why I recommended the books. I'm sorry if it sounded like I meant almost zero carbs. Low carb does not mean zero carbs, it just means that you shouldn't be eating processed foods like potato chips or soda. There are plenty of carbs in natural and unprocessed foods, so you will get plenty of carbs that way. Also, this diet is packed with protein and high nutritional value. I do agree that you have to be careful when changing your diet, do a lot of research and transition slowly. I am not trying to argue with you . I think you should read the books I mentioned, you probably approached the diet wrong and that's why you got sick.

Last edited by Rinkujutsu : 02-17-2015 at 04:30 PM.
Rinkujutsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2015, 02:53 PM   #11
TheAtchley

It's going to be very hard to lose that much in that short amount of time, but you can lose a good amount if you work out everyday. I know it seems obvious, but I never ever work out and when I do for about a week it really starts showing. I also eat incredibly slow and just choose better foods (you eat a lot less this way). The biggest thing is to just move your body every chance you get just don't starve yourself because the second you eat normally again you're going to gain weight like crazy! I hope this is helpful. Good luck!!!
TheAtchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2015, 05:55 PM   #12
ShadowWarrior
User not found

http://www.300pft.com/articles/she-l...more-than-ever This is pretty cool give it a read
ShadowWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2015, 10:18 PM   #13
RayGunUndone

juicing is a great way to go. whatever you do DO NOT starve yourself! refusing to eat when your hungry will make your body hold onto weight as it goes into 'starvation' mode. so juicing fruits and veggies is a low cal/ high nutrition way to go.

Also LOTS of water! it will help flush out your toxins and gives you a quick slim. and replacing car rides and trips out with walking or biking will help melt it off as well. Try strawberry yogurt with some cut up banana and oats and honey granola mixed in for a meal replacement, its an easy moderate cal snack i use. its delicious!

If you cant juice yourself i recommend buying the "Naked" brand juice drinks. that way its easy and you just grab one to drink.

I guarantee you'll at least go down 15 lbs. likely more although everyone is different
RayGunUndone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2015, 10:23 PM   #14
RayGunUndone

These tips are also great fukuronoki!
RayGunUndone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2015, 10:18 AM   #15
Celiabeth

NO! That is so unhealthy! Loosing that much weight in such a short amount of time is going to put some serious stress on your body and I almost guarantee you'll gain more weight once you return to your normal habits. Though it takes longer, a healthy diet and regular exercise will keep the weight off. Its a life style choice and do it for your health not just cosplay.
Day 3- Natsu from Fairy Tale
Celiabeth is offline   Reply With Quote