Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-06-2014, 07:32 PM   #1
liaann
Master of Ghetto Cosplay

Green Tea/Green Tea Pills?

I'm mainly referring to this: http://www.amazon.com/Applied-Nutrit...reen+tea+pills

I read somewhere in the forums that green tea and green tea pills act as a good appetite suppressant and metabolism booster. I tried to google it a bit and I found people saying that it really doesn't make a difference and doesn't do much to help. Has anyone had experience with this or know anything about it? D:

I'm not going to depend on this to lose weight, I just want to know if it'll stop the munchies :c

Cosplays for AX 2014~
Yuna (FFX-2) - 75% :D
Big Sister (Bioshock 2) - 1%... HAHAHA
liaann is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-06-2014, 08:39 PM   #2
belligerent
Viking Metal

It would probably be more beneficial to just drink green tea (without sugar in it), since you're also hydrating yourself (yes, there's some caffeine in green tea, which is a diuretic, but it's not a lot). Most of the time when people think they're hungry, they're really just thirsty.

I put green tea extract in protein shakes in the morning but I don't know that it makes a difference in my appetite or not.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2014, 09:26 PM   #3
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I would just drink the actual tea. Decent-quality green tea is extremely good for you regardless of what you want out of it, and I second that having a drink can both quench what's actually thirst and wanting to have a snack or something to taste.
Also, the vast, vast majority of those dietary pills are either ineffective/placebos, not ACTUALLY at high enough concentrations to do much, especially for the price they cost, or right-out dangerous. There's little to no FDA approval on supplements for weightloss and you're very much a guinea pig when you take them.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2014, 09:52 PM   #4
jaycawbz
Koizumi Mahiru is ♥

To basically repeat what everyone else here has said; just go ahead and drink the tea over the pills. I and a group of friends have tried a few different brands before, but to no real success or effect for all but one. On the flip side, green tea is pretty great, and has actually worked well for me consistently when I've wanted to satisfy my appetite for a while.
jaycawbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2014, 06:08 PM   #5
cawlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by liaann View Post
I'm mainly referring to this: http://www.amazon.com/Applied-Nutrit...reen+tea+pills

I read somewhere in the forums that green tea and green tea pills act as a good appetite suppressant and metabolism booster. I tried to google it a bit and I found people saying that it really doesn't make a difference and doesn't do much to help. Has anyone had experience with this or know anything about it? D:

I'm not going to depend on this to lose weight, I just want to know if it'll stop the munchies :c
I work out pretty seriously, and I've taken green tea supplements for cutting in the past.

It definitely won't hurt, but it's effect on your metabolism and appetite are both very minor, especially when compared to less safe supplements.

With that said, most of the bikini competitors at my gym do take a green tea supplement, because more effective supplements are banned from competitions and they believe it's the next best option.

Pills are more effective than tea, particularly for their metabolism boosting properties, but tea is a better choice if you have problems with getting hungry and eating too much.
cawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2014, 08:26 PM   #6
KristalM

I am a fitness instructor for a living, and I have to say I hate these fad pills. Please know that the FDA does not regulate these supplements, so you never know if what it says on the label is what you're actually getting.

There is no "magic pill" that will help you lose weight. I went from 5'4" and 199 lbs to 155 lbs in about 6 months using an app for my phone called My Fitness Pal (it's free) and exercising daily. For fat loss, I recommend cardio exercise.
KristalM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2014, 11:06 PM   #7
Slapthefatcat
The man with the guns.

I've tried that exact one before, but stopped only after a few days. The caffiene made me jittery and the thermogenic effect makes you feel extra warm throughout the day, which is uncomfortable. Your best option is just to lift weights a little more often and increase your metabolism that way.
Zoro - One Piece (Eventually)
Ippo - Hajime no Ippo (Eventually)
Hody - One Piece (Eventually)
Free - Soul Eater (Otakon 2013, Completed)
Goku - Dragon Ball Z (Otakon 2014, Completed)

My Facebook cosplay group - Southern Maryland Cosplay (Anyone can join)
Slapthefatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2014, 02:36 AM   #8
ClickClackBang

Drink green tea you could get a big box from Costco. Green tea does have many benefits, but yeah no sugar. I actually like the mild flavor, and to be honest if you use a bag it shouldn't be too bitter or awful. You could always get some of those fused? green tea bags with like a peach or lemon aroma. Those are pretty good too.
ClickClackBang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2014, 01:58 PM   #9
usuyukisou

According to my brother, they worked for him, but he is also a dedicated gym rat who monitors his diet very carefully using Myfitnesspal. His physique can be attributed to a whole host of reasons, or some combination thereof.

I also use those softgels. I never experienced any negative side-effects, but I can't say whether it boosts metabolism. My body size (US dress 2) has not slimmed significantly. I take them as I would vitamin E or vitamin D or chromium, etc, just as a supplement.

As others have said, drinking green tea is a better, cheaper option. I simply attend school in a really hot area where drinking anything hotter than ice water is akin to lighting oneself on fire.

If you want to stop the munchies, one thing I do recommend is Belvita. 5 packs of 4 biscuits each in a box. Each pack is 230 calories, and I can eat 2 packs and literally feel full all day. I think a box is ~$3? I can find them at Safeway... I've also seen them at Target and CVS, but it's more expensive there. It naturally doesn't take the place of complete nutrition through regular food, but if snacking is an issue for you... My favourites are the Apple Cinnamon and Blueberry ones.
Unread 06-11-2014, 12:09 PM   #10
PastelRainbows

Happy I found this thread I was thinking of buying these but I think I'll just do without. Sometimes theses types of fitness pill seem very convincing
PastelRainbows is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2014, 06:22 PM   #11
JellyFishQueen

green tea pills, it not safe. It raise your heartbeat, risk for heart attack.
JellyFishQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2014, 07:22 PM   #12
Roaringtide
Crashing Wave

DRINK TEA. Green tea (no sugar or additives) is one of the best things you can drink. No calories, smaller amounts of caffeine compared to coffee and its full of antioxidants. While it won't melt the lbs away, it will help some and do wonders for you blood pressure. There is a few reasons why the Japanese are the longest living societies on earth, and this is one of them.
Roaringtide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2014, 01:11 AM   #13
StilesJman
<("<) (>")>

Those pills have 160mg of caffeine per serving?! That's equivalent to a Rockstar energy drink!
I've never tried these so unfortunately I can't add in a review to the green tea pills. I have however supplemented with green coffee extract before which worked and helped me tone down a few extra pounds.
Isaac Clarke Advanced Suit. Dead Space 2
Cyborg Smoke. Mortal Kombat Annihilation
Scout Trooper. RoTJ
Boom - Borderlands 2 (In progress)
-------Attending This Year-------
Anime Expo
Anime California
Comikaze
Pacific Media Expo...and deciding on more!
StilesJman is offline   Reply With Quote