Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 12-18-2014, 11:55 PM   #1
MidoriUma

Dance Dance Revolution

So, I'm too broke to pay for a gym membership and it's too cold out to do much outdoor stuff... I splurged and bought a few DDR pads and games for my old PS2. Anyone have experience on the relative fitness value of playing this game for an hour or two every day? I'm finding it a hell of a lot more fun than jogging or doing pushups, and I'm planning to buy some small hand weights to hold while playing, to work my arms a bit.

I guess I'll keep people posted, but any opinions or anecdotes are much appreciated

Upcoming 2015 Conventions:

G-Anime FrostCon Anime Central Anime North Otakon (maybe) Otakuthon Youmacon

Always happy to team up with new partners/groups!
MidoriUma is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-19-2014, 10:15 AM   #2
Ilafatyu
That guy

In high school, a few of my friends used DDR for their gym independent study. The game gets you winded once you get to the higher difficulties, but I'm not sure if weights in your hands will be effective.

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Soren (Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn) - 3%
Vaati (LoZ Minish Cap) - 2%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2014, 10:20 AM   #3
Taijiya

Well I know I own at least 4 different DDR games for my PS2 and I can completely agree it's more fun then jogging especially when it's cold outside!

I don't really know how well it work technically I know I do it everyday for at least an hour and a half and it seems to work (then again I juice slightly too and play on difficult or sometimes expert depending on my mood and the song so I am not sure exactly what makes it work).

As for the hand weights that kinda seems iffy to me. I know I was thinking the same thing too though, but the last thing you would want to do is get so into the game you let the weight fly out of your hand or so tired you drop it on your foot (oops). I know what I was thinking is I have seen weights that are built into gloves that you can wear on your hands or ankle and wrist weights. I think I am going to buy the ankle and wrist weights so it's a little more of a work out and slightly more challenging with the weights holding your legs down slightly more while you still have to move them to quickly hit arrows or do jumps.

I'm not exactly sure though...
Well either way I hope this helps you ^^

Cosplays~!
Soul Eater Evans- 100%
Soul Eater Evans (Black Blood)- 100%
Len Kagimine (Normal)- 95%
Near (Nate River)- 90%

Cosplay I might do~
Sebastian Michaelis, Grell Sutcliff, Zero Kiryu
Idol (Hanabusa Aido), Roronoa Zoro, Lelouch vi Britannia
Will of the Abyss, Fai D. Flourite, Izaya Orihara
Kyoya Ootori, Len Kagamine (Trick and Treat), Kaito Kid
(Don't know who to start next lol)
Taijiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2014, 07:12 PM   #4
Sufida

Since I feel this is semi-related.

DDR is more about "perfecting" the song as opposed to the song being actually difficult to pass. Therefore anything before Heavy doesn't really ask much of you in my opinion with the main difficulty being just building up your own coordination. Pump It Up on the other hand was more about the difficulty, but doesn't offer many accessible releases for home play.

I think playing while holding weights would just be kind of distracting. The goal should really be getting to those harder songs.

Also it is generally better to play in the arcade versus at home. Not only are the pads better, but you feel more motivated to do better when there are other people playing around you.
Unread 12-22-2014, 05:01 PM   #5
ItsTroy

I'm not a fan of DDR, but I love PIU.

I used to go with my younger cousins about twice a week to a local ChuckECheese just to play PIU for a couple hours. Some songs on the higher difficulties can be quite a cardio workout. I definitely remember my legs getting sore when I really got into it. I couldn't play the game at home... I would need the have some heavy duty pads + bar for that to happen.

Weights are totally not needed. You are not going for strength training by doing a dancing regiment. My legs were going too fast to worry about doing curls lol. Dancing = cardio.

WIP: Sojirou Seta (Log Horizon)
Cons: Shadocon, Holiday Matsuri
ItsTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2014, 08:51 PM   #6
MiaSkye
the Astral Walker

I LOVE DDR!!! It was my weight loss tool in the past and I have lost a combined 200+lbs just playing this game.

At the peak of my exercise routine I would play around 15-20 songs depending on the difficulty. As a beginner I was horrrrribble ^-^ I was up to getting A's on Delta Maxx on Heavy before I became ill and my schedule became too hectic.

Build up your base stepping skills in the beginning; I noticed the more complex crossovers and combos come when the songs start reaching 6-7 step difficulty (on the old rating scale 1-10). I always turned off fail and that STUPID announcer so I could just enjoy the ride.

Your body will tell you if it is too much!!! I have really learned to listen to what my body is telling me instead of push myself. I have actually fractured my toe in the past by pushing myself way too hard.

A really good option if you don't want to buy the console game is to download the Step Mania sim for Windows/Mac. They have simfiles for every song released in North America, Japan, and just about every other country for free =) This is what I played as a console alternative; just buy a pad adapter (I bought the Super Dual Joystick Pro. Dumb name, but worked great! PS2/XBox->USB). I built my collection to well over 800 songs.

Best of luck to you on your weight loss journey!! Words of wisdom: 1) hydrate hydrate hydrate!! 2) Watch your calorie intake. Be very careful that you aren't taking in too little (as I did for a while >~>) 3) assign a few days for rest. Your body needs it to recover; don't burn yourself out 4) Don't give up!!! The going gets tough, but stick to it! Even though it may not LOOK like you are losing weight, you will. Muscle weighs more than fat as well.

-Mia ~-^
Unread 12-24-2014, 10:30 PM   #7
Ghai

Back when I was able to (not living in an apartment with people beneath me) I did this for a few moments. I played for about 30-40 mins, then did some calesthenics to top off at roughly an hour. My fiance told me that she had notice a weight loss in me, but I ended up stopping because I got tired of shaking the house.

The main reason it works for most folks is the fact that its fun and self-challenging. Because of the score it becomes more about competing against your self, givin you another reason to do it other than to drop some weight.

Also, I'm heavily against holding weights or using ankle weights. There's too much movement and the last thing you want is unneeded tension. Stick with a set routine and then move to some push up variation and pull ups. If you're not too heavy you can use a door if you don't have a bar.
Ghai is offline   Reply With Quote