Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons > DC Universe

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-01-2010, 12:52 AM   #1
Ninja_Autobot

Cosplay Advice: Blue Beetle III (Jaime Reyes)

So, I've recently started watching "Batman: Brave and the Bold," and I've really come to like the character of the Blue Beetle. Naturally, I want to do a cosplay of him XP (Plus, it seems to be one that hasn't really been done yet, so I get to feel original, too XD)

I'm not exactly a n00b to cosplay--I've been doing it since 2007. But I've never really done something on this scale, so any advice on how on some parts of the costume would be much appreciated.

This is the cartoon version of the Beetle, next to the comic book version. I'm going more towards the cartoon version, since it looks way more simple.

Here's part of my action plan: I'm planning on getting a full-body black zentai suit, including the headpiece, and painting the shoulders and chest pattern using something like Dye-Na-Flow or Jacqaurd's paint.

I'm debating on whether or not to make the two markings on the forearms and thighs out of thin spray-painted craft foam to give them a slight raised feel, or to simply paint them on. Any suggestions?

I also would like advice on the Scarab "backpack." was thinking about getting an actual backpack, then making a shell around it out of something like cardboard. Here's a look at the Scarab itself:

I'm also trying to figure out the best way to make the pincers/prongs. Crayola Model magic might work, but that could break easily.

Any suggestions for any of these things would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!
Ninja_Autobot is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-09-2010, 12:55 AM   #2
Captain Gundam

For the main overall look: I'd go with the zentai suit with head piece. I do recommend having the headpiece not attached to the suit itself. Paint it? It would look a bit better if it can you can sew it on but it might be more work.

For the scarab: I suggest to buy a backpack in a shape of a heart (whatever size you want/find) then cover it in fabric. The pincers and prongs I suggest to make out of fabric and stuff them so they can stand but won't be easy to break (like how you would make a pillow and then stuff it). Make them before you cover the backpack in fabric by sewing them in. Do the same with the red markings.

Two questions: how bout the leggings/boots Jaime has? How are you going to make them? Also how bout the red lenses he has for eyes? You going to use sunglasses for them or having them sew on with see through fabric in that color?

Best of luck though. Nice to see more DC heroes done (blue beetle too).
Unread 12-09-2010, 11:02 PM   #3
Ninja_Autobot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Gundam View Post
For the main overall look: I'd go with the zentai suit with head piece. I do recommend having the headpiece not attached to the suit itself. Paint it? It would look a bit better if it can you can sew it on but it might be more work.

For the scarab: I suggest to buy a backpack in a shape of a heart (whatever size you want/find) then cover it in fabric. The pincers and prongs I suggest to make out of fabric and stuff them so they can stand but won't be easy to break (like how you would make a pillow and then stuff it). Make them before you cover the backpack in fabric by sewing them in. Do the same with the red markings.

Two questions: how bout the leggings/boots Jaime has? How are you going to make them? Also how bout the red lenses he has for eyes? You going to use sunglasses for them or having them sew on with see through fabric in that color?

Best of luck though. Nice to see more DC heroes done (blue beetle too).
First off, thanks a bunch for the reply! I was worried no one would see this XD

I definitely am doing the zentai suit. The thing for me is that I only know VERY BASIC sewing, so working with elastic fabrics would be more than I could do, I think. Liquid-latex-like paint seems like a better way for me, since unlike the comic version, which has a more raised and armor like blue area, the cartoon version seems more just a design on the suit. I'm planning on making a duct-tape dummy of my upper body over Christmas Break, so I can paint it myself without having to wear it so it stretches properly.

That sounds like a good idea for the pincers. Would it be reasonable to put some type of wiring or something like that in them, if not for stability then for shape and structure?

As for the boots, my general plan was to make a hybrid of the cartoon and comic versions. Since they seem to be made of segmented parts, one idea I had was to use a combination of thick and thin craft foam to make the different parts of the boots. I figured this would make it easier to take it on and off. I was also thinking of finding actual boots, using that as a base, and then adding on the other "parts" of the boots as craft foam. I'll experiment more with that, but that's the plan so far.

As for the eyes, when I buy my zentai suit I am planning on it having eye holes in the head piece, so what I'm hoping for is to find a good see-through red fabric and put it across the eye. Best case scenario would be finding goggles or sunglasses with the proper color lens, taking it apart, and somehow sticking it on my fave. Don't know how I'd do that ATM.

I was also thinking that I would get the headpiece without a covering for the mouth area, and paint my exposed mouth black, so that way my mouth was visible (plus it would make it easier to breathe, I think!)

Thanks for all your advice! I very much appreciate it. I'm really excited to get cracking on this, once finals are over I can really get on it.
Unread 12-12-2010, 08:48 AM   #4
dreamsofnever

Also, if you wanted to invest a little bit of money, you could get an airbrush and use createx paint colors to paint over the fabric.

And I think finding boots and then adding on to them would be easier. You also might want to consider wonderflex for adding on to the boots.

good luck with this!
dreamsofnever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2010, 11:56 PM   #5
Ninja_Autobot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsofnever View Post
Also, if you wanted to invest a little bit of money, you could get an airbrush and use createx paint colors to paint over the fabric.

And I think finding boots and then adding on to them would be easier. You also might want to consider wonderflex for adding on to the boots.

good luck with this!
About how much would you say airbrushes are? Are they available at places like Michael's? And what would the big difference between airbrushing and, say, painting with liquid spandex with a sponge brush be?

I hadn't considered wonderflex for the boots. Definitely a good possibility! Thanks!! ^__^
Unread 12-19-2010, 07:38 PM   #6
dreamsofnever

I'm not sure about Michael's, but I did find an airbrush at my local art store for around $40, I believe. I haven't personally used airbrushing, but a lot of people over on the Superhero Costuming Forum use airbrushing for just about everything and swear by it. I've been lucky enough so far to find fabric in the right colors and I haven't done anything with a pattern yet.

I'm not sure about painting with liquid latex since I've never done it, but I know using an airbrush would give you a smoother paint job than a sponge brush, but not sure if using a different type of paint (i.e. the liquid latex) would negate the smoother paint job issue. I would also think liquid latex would be heavier and might not breathe as well as the createx paint. On the other hand, the latex would most likely add a bit of texture so if that's the look you're going for, it might be the way to go.

Sorry I didn't respond to this earlier! I don't check the cosplay forums as often as I wish I could.

Hope I helped a little bit!
dreamsofnever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2011, 12:10 AM   #7
Ninja_Autobot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsofnever View Post
I'm not sure about Michael's, but I did find an airbrush at my local art store for around $40, I believe. I haven't personally used airbrushing, but a lot of people over on the Superhero Costuming Forum use airbrushing for just about everything and swear by it. I've been lucky enough so far to find fabric in the right colors and I haven't done anything with a pattern yet.

I'm not sure about painting with liquid latex since I've never done it, but I know using an airbrush would give you a smoother paint job than a sponge brush, but not sure if using a different type of paint (i.e. the liquid latex) would negate the smoother paint job issue. I would also think liquid latex would be heavier and might not breathe as well as the createx paint. On the other hand, the latex would most likely add a bit of texture so if that's the look you're going for, it might be the way to go.

Sorry I didn't respond to this earlier! I don't check the cosplay forums as often as I wish I could.

Hope I helped a little bit!
Thanks again for the reply!! I'm a little late responding myself, what with it being the holidays and all.

I've done some research, and I think I'm going with some Jones Tones glossy paints which are the stretchy kind and just sponge-brush it on. I found some airbrush stuff at the local crafts stores, but it's a bit too expensive for me. Plus, I don't know how often I'd use that technique, so I don't think I'd use it enough for it to pay off.

I got my zentai suit in though, and I'll be ordering the paints soon. I'll be sure to post some updates when I get some work done. ATM I'm figuring out how to do the mask and the scarab, but this'll give me time to perfect those parts.

Thanks again! ^_^ Happy New Year!