Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Original Designs

Unread 12-01-2010, 05:37 PM   #1
Kaliza

Question Zombie in winter?

Hey I am going to a zombie event coming up, Zombies on Ice. It is at an outdoor skating rink and then will be moving to an outdoor market after...
This in in Chicago so it is COLD. I don't know what the temp will be, but to give you an idea today the high was 29 degrees F with wind chills 10-20 F. That is in the daytime, it's colder after dark and it will be getting dark during the event...

So my dilemma is how to be a zombie and not freeze to death? I am looking for some ideas on dressing up while staying warm, or how to 'zombify' warm clothing?
Kaliza is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-01-2010, 06:15 PM   #2
LeekFish
Clow Reader

I can't really offer much advice, but I recommend wearing thermals/under armor/whatever you want to call it underneath whatever costume you create. I wear them under my other clothes when I go snowboarding all the time for extra warmth. c:
LeekFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 06:20 PM   #3
SpiffyPoptarts
needs to upload pictures

be a zombie in something warm?
Unread 12-01-2010, 06:42 PM   #4
Ars Arcanum

Agreed. XD It can't be that hard to design, say, a zombie mountain climber or skiier (bloodstained goggles!) or something.
Ars Arcanum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 07:03 PM   #5
glitter bomb
quite zazzy

ooh! Ars Arcanum made me think of the zombie movie Dead Snow. maybe that could offer some inspiration. Or use the skating theme... make a hat or shoulder piece with a (faux) kate sticking out of it, like that was your fatal injury before becoming a zombie. Like the Persona character with the shoe sticking out of her face (totally blanking on the name right now).

otherwise, I'd say wear lots of layers (under armor/thermals work really well and aren't bulky). You could make the layers part of your costume. maybe you were a survivor for awhile, scrounging for clothes as you found them, before you got zombified. or just zombie up your outer layer.

a hat of some kind and gloves, along with wool socks and good boots will help a lot to stay warm.
glitter bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 07:21 PM   #6
Kaliza

Thanks, I like the skate idea! I'll have to see if I can either make a fake skate blade or maybe find some cheap skates (lol cheapskates) to dissasemble. I'm not sure if I'll have enough time to do that but it's been an annual event for the last few years so if not this time I can probably use that next time...
I saw Dead Snow listed on Netflix, I think it's on instant play so I'll have to take a look and see if I can get any good ideas from it.

Any other ideas on warm zombie clothing would be appreciated!
Kaliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 07:32 PM   #7
glitter bomb
quite zazzy

oh, I remembered the name of the character: Callisto from Persona 2:
http://www.cosplay.com/costume/282888/
you may be able to find a child's shoe or skate at a thrift store that you can use. Or even a large doll/toy skate.
hee. LOL @ "cheapskates"

Dead Snow is a great, great zombie movie. It also is a homage to classic American horror films from the 80s and 90s. Def worth watching regardless. though, fair warning, there are some parts that are not for the faint of heart. I had to do a couple of "tell me when the gore is over" moments.
glitter bomb is offline   Reply With Quote