Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > Steampunk

Unread 09-08-2011, 08:43 AM   #1
Tonksie

Burlesque help?

So, I know this isn't really steampunk (sorry!), but I have seen skirts similar to this used in steampunk, so I'm hoping you guys can help me. I need to make a skirt like this:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/57415084...-steampunk-tie

It seems like it's probably just a bunch of rectangles of various lengths gathered and sewn onto a length of ribbon to tie. I'm planning on making it out of a taffeta material. Has anyone made a skirt like this? Am I on the right track, or do you have any suggestions? Also- do I need a bustle pad or some gathered tulle to get it to stick out like that in the back and sides?

Thanks for any help you might be able to give me!
Tonksie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-08-2011, 05:23 PM   #2
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

To get it to stick out you will need something under it for sure. Nothing will stick out that much without a support of some kind. A small bustle pillow, cage, or possibly even tulle like you said would work. As for exactly how it's made, not totally sure, but I would almost make the sections almost semi-circles and then stitch them all down to a single piece that you could line to hide your stitching seams, then add the waistband. But since I've never made one of these myself, I can't say exactly for sure how it should be done. That is just my two cents.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2011, 11:10 PM   #3
mdelgiorno17

There is a tutorial for a skirt that is similar and really cute. Here is the link.
mdelgiorno17 is offline   Reply With Quote