Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Member Events and Gatherings

View Poll Results: Would you go?
Hell yeah! 9 90.00%
Maybe 1 10.00%
Nope. 0 0%
Bad Idea. 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-12-2003, 08:39 PM   #1
Masuyo

Talking Convention in Michigan?

I'm not sure if this is the right place to be posting this, but here goes.

I'm interested in starting an anime convention in michigan. But there really is no point in starting one if not enough people are willing to come. So this is my first little poll. Who would want to come? It would be in the ann arbor area mostlikely. Anyone? Thanks <3
Masuyo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-16-2003, 09:13 PM   #2
SyntaxGlitch
Monochromechanicabalistic

Heheh, Ann Arbor is stomping grounds for everyone's favorite web-manga artist, Fred Gallagher. If you do get something started, take him and his girl out to dinner and see if you can convince them to be a guest of honor. That'll draw people in!

Anyhow, I'm less than 2 hours from Ann Arbor, so I'd probably be there if you did start something.
Unread 10-26-2003, 01:27 PM   #3
Shadowlvr
FLCL LOVE!

why cant we have some big oranized con with thousands of people it seems michigan cosplayers are hidden lol. ive been going to New york and other states for cons lol.
Shadowlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2003, 11:25 PM   #4
Otakuduet_Yuna

michigan convention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowlvr
why cant we have some big oranized con with thousands of people it seems michigan cosplayers are hidden lol. ive been going to New york and other states for cons lol.
There is a convention in Michigan. In fact, there are 2, but one of them is very small and does not advertise. JAFAX is relatively small and only 2 days, but it is going on 8 years I believe and starting to grow. It is quite organized as well. My experience was not bad there. It is held at Grand Valley University outside of Grand Rapids sometime in June. Then there is the small con in Ann Arbor that I did not even hear about at all, and I lived in the metro Detroit area from when I was born till I was 18. I think it happens sometime in the fall. It would be awesome if some people would just start marketing for that convention more, and I am sure it could become pretty big.

By the way....if you like anime and game music performances, go visit my web site! www.otakuduet.com
Unread 11-21-2003, 12:28 PM   #5
Sala
Cosplay Afficionado

Ann Arbor doesn't have a con, per se. The University of Michigan's anime club (www.umich.edu/~animania) has something in usually October/November that's called Con Ja Nai. So it's not really a con, since the University forbids it, but they do show anime from around 10am until about 2am the next day. Plus they have a costume contest with prizes donated by the local anime store (www.wizzywig.com).

From someone who has lived in Ann Arbor for 20 years, I would LOVE for a larger con to be organized for our area. JAFAX is actually kinda hard to get to (GR is not the best city either) and the Motor City Comic Con does not have very much anime, nor do they have a decent costume contest.

CLICK HERE for Completed and/or Retired Costumes
Sala is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2003, 08:27 PM   #6
Mizuho
Sara the Spider!

*Raises hand* I'd definitely go to a convention in Michigan. I, myself, live about twenty minutes from Detroit, but I'd be willing to drive out to Ann Arbor (which seems like a great place for a con!). <3
Mizuho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2004, 07:03 PM   #7
Kbunny
Eurika! I found it!

Hey people from Michigan! I just got into the whole cosplay thing, and I think it would be awesome to start one here and try to make it really big. I live about 30mins from Ann Arbor, right next to Howell and Brighton, but you probably haven't heard of our little town.(with about 6 stoplights, maybe less XD) I am getting my license in about 2 months, so it would be cool if we could all meet up on day in the summer/spring?! If you read my little into thing on the intro forums, you'll know a little more about meh, not gonna post it again. I think it would be so awesome though.

Where would we have the con though? I go up to Ann Arbor a lot, (my bros play hockey there) but I don't know all the big places and stuff. We should get a club together, or and email thing.
Kbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2004, 04:20 PM   #8
Shadowlvr
FLCL LOVE!

Everyone that wants to meet up in large groups and such with all us cosplay folk should be directed to this thread ~~~~~~> http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread...712#post583712
Shadowlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2004, 12:42 PM   #9
Catboi Blues
Magical Liopleurodon

Actually I've been working on getting a Michigan Anime convention going. Everything is still in the works, but arrangments are being made. As for Jafax, its like Con Ja Nai in the fact that's its more of a college function than it is a convention.

Hi there Yuna, I caught your performances at Anime USA.
Unread 02-07-2004, 10:56 PM   #10
Kittie-Kun
the quiet one

there are two in the spring already. penguicon and motor city. granted they're not huge or solely anime conventions (actually could be concidered quite tiny), but if more people would actually -go- they could be a lot more fun. fred gallagher was actually at the fall's comic con, and him and someone else are going to penguicon in april.

not that this thread is still -alive- or anything. :P
Unread 02-07-2004, 11:00 PM   #11
Sala
Cosplay Afficionado

I've never heard of penguicon, and your link for it doesn't work. Where/what is it?
The Motor City Comic Con is held more than once (i believe twice?) a year, and it mostly for sci-fi and american comics. I've seen lots of anime for sale, but only about 6 anime cosplayers in all the years I've been going...

CLICK HERE for Completed and/or Retired Costumes
Sala is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2004, 08:35 AM   #12
gearheadotaku
Michigan Cosplay Society

A small, close to home con could be fun. Even if its a one day event. Then again I find Chicago to be local for ACEN. (It's hardly 4 hours away, put your foot down!)
gearheadotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2004, 02:16 PM   #13
Kittie-Kun
the quiet one

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeRei3
I've never heard of penguicon, and your link for it doesn't work. Where/what is it?
The Motor City Comic Con is held more than once (i believe twice?) a year, and it mostly for sci-fi and american comics. I've seen lots of anime for sale, but only about 6 anime cosplayers in all the years I've been going...
crap. i'll link it thru to my forum. it's got an explination there. it's at novi. yeah motor city's twice a year, but the fall one sux. the last few years i've gone tho there have been a -TON- of anime cosplayers there. true it's mostly american comics, but they cater to the crowd that goes. this last fall, at least, i noticed more anime/manga related booths, and the spring seems to be the fall but bigger and more populated. *trying to remember last spring* eh, can't remember which different costumes i saw.

this is the link for penguicon thru the forum i run. it's not a huge one and definitely not solely anime, but yeah.
Unread 02-08-2004, 02:57 PM   #14
Catboi Blues
Magical Liopleurodon

Hi there. Penguicon is a Sci-Fi con/Linux Expo. Good convention, but not an Anime con. Motor City Comic Con is held twice a year. While there are cosplayers that do go there its not a convention, its a comic expo. Other conventions in the area include ConFusion(Sci-Fi con now in its 30th year) and ConClave(also a Sci-Fi con). I'm staff at all of those except for MCCC.

Kittie-Kun, you should check out/post at the seeking SE Michigan cosplayers thread. Welcome aboard.

Last edited by Catboi Blues : 02-19-2004 at 09:54 PM.
Catboi Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2004, 10:48 PM   #15
Kittie-Kun
the quiet one

true about the cons, but they do count for something. *shrug* i'd be all for an anime con here. and i've got about 15 people i know who would be as well.

and thanks for the welcome ^_^ figured i should come out of lurkdom at some point :P