Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-08-2010, 07:52 PM   #1
KittyAngel
cute little kitty >^.^<

Wink Fabric Dyeing Thread

Since there is a lot of questions that some of us have about fabric dyeing and instead of asking one indivdual thread about that subject, put all of your fabric dyeing questions and answers, how tos, and other things about fabric dyeing here Is this a good idea for everyone or is it lame? (If this thread has been done already, then please say so.)

Speaking of which, I'll be doing ALL of Yuna's from FFX-2 dresspheres in the near future and I'm a total newbie in fabric dyeing. I'll be doing some tests of course, but I have some fabric dyeing questions regardless.

1. I've searched on the internet and found ways that are similar for mixing fabric dye, just with different materials, are there any more ways, or do I just follow the instructions on the fabric dye box?

2. Are there better fabric dyes than others? If so, which is best and why?
3. I'm very scared of the fabric dye because I'm afraid that it may stain the kitchen counter and/or floor. If I do it in the kitchen, does the fabric dye stain floors and counters?

4. Does fabric dyes give you the color that you want whether it's white or not? For example, if I wanted a fuisha colored shirt and it's a baby yellow fleece fabric, will the fuisha color replace the baby yellow color?

5. Does fabric dye work on all type of fabrics regardless of what name brand or does the specific name brand dye do only particualr fabrics?

Okay, again, like I said, I'm not doing this at the moment, but when it's time to do one of her dresspheres that requires it, that's when I'll come here for the help. If not anything, this will be little tib bit information for me regardless Anyway, thanks.

DeviantArt.com
JapaneseBlossomKitty
KittyAngel is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-08-2010, 09:44 PM   #2
glitter bomb
quite zazzy

Quote:
Is this a good idea for everyone or is it lame?
If there isn't already a sticky for fabric dyeing, I'd love to see this thread develop on the subject. That's something I have very little experience with. I'm particularly interested in dyeing silk, dyeing synthetics and ombre dyeing/dipping. Plus dyeing for aging/weathering effects. Oh, and the different techniques (painting vs. full dyeing).
glitter bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2010, 12:47 PM   #3
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAngel View Post
2. Are there better fabric dyes than others? If so, which is best and why?
Different dyes are designed for different types of fiber. Acid dyes (called that because you add vinegar) are best for protein fibers like silk and wool, as well as nylon. Fiber-reactive dyes are best for cotton and rayon. Rit and Dylon are AFAIK a combination so can be used on a variety of fabrics. Polyester needs special dye as regular dyes will not work on it.

Quote:
3. I'm very scared of the fabric dye because I'm afraid that it may stain the kitchen counter and/or floor. If I do it in the kitchen, does the fabric dye stain floors and counters?
Yes, dye will stain things. Counters probably, floors maybe not (tile tends not to stain, although the grout might). However if you're neat you can avoid getting dye everywhere; I dye on the stove all the time and don't have serious staining issues.

Quote:
4. Does fabric dyes give you the color that you want whether it's white or not? For example, if I wanted a fuisha colored shirt and it's a baby yellow fleece fabric, will the fuisha color replace the baby yellow color?
No, dye is translucent so it adds to any existing colour; it will not replace the existing colour. So yellow + fuchsia = a slightly yellowy fuchsia or even orange (depending on how bright the yellow is). You can only dye darker, and if there is a definite colour on the existing fabric it will affect the dyed result.

Quote:
5. Does fabric dye work on all type of fabrics regardless of what name brand or does the specific name brand dye do only particualr fabrics?
The brand doesn't matter as much, only the type (see above).

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

www.costumecon32.com

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2010, 01:44 PM   #4
KittyAngel
cute little kitty >^.^<

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasm-hime View Post
Different dyes are designed for different types of fiber. Acid dyes (called that because you add vinegar) are best for protein fibers like silk and wool, as well as nylon. Fiber-reactive dyes are best for cotton and rayon. Rit and Dylon are AFAIK a combination so can be used on a variety of fabrics. Polyester needs special dye as regular dyes will not work on it.

Yes, dye will stain things. Counters probably, floors maybe not (tile tends not to stain, although the grout might). However if you're neat you can avoid getting dye everywhere; I dye on the stove all the time and don't have serious staining issues.

No, dye is translucent so it adds to any existing colour; it will not replace the existing colour. So yellow + fuchsia = a slightly yellowy fuchsia or even orange (depending on how bright the yellow is). You can only dye darker, and if there is a definite colour on the existing fabric it will affect the dyed result.

The brand doesn't matter as much, only the type (see above).
Thanks so much Sarcasm-hime This is really going to help me. Because when it's time for me to do Samuari Yuna and on up, this will totally help me until I become comfortable.

DeviantArt.com
JapaneseBlossomKitty
KittyAngel is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2010, 11:01 PM   #5
InsaneMonkey46
Your True Ruler

On the subject of 'What dye to What fabric', What about dyeing Fur?
I have some white fur that i need to dye pink for a Heart no Kuni no Alice cosplay.
Would a normal dye be fine?
InsaneMonkey46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2010, 11:18 PM   #6
Kitsoru
Guilty Gear fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneMonkey46 View Post
On the subject of 'What dye to What fabric', What about dyeing Fur?
I have some white fur that i need to dye pink for a Heart no Kuni no Alice cosplay.
Would a normal dye be fine?
I assume this is fake fur?

Fake fur is sort of like wig hair in that it can be dyed using inks (because the hairs are plastic fibers). I've read that it can also be "dyed" using thinned out acrylic paints. There's a thread/discussion on that somewhere in the General Costume Help subforum, I believe.
Next Cons:
Youmacon '12
My Curecos
My ACP
My dA
Kitsoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2011, 02:15 AM   #7
Chi-Nasagawa
♥ Shotacon ♥

Okay, so hopefully I get an answer on this. I am cosplaying Yoko Littner from Gurren Lagann and she has a pair of pale pink thigh highs. I had a pair that I actually lost due to a move. I need to know a few things before I go off and buy materials. (reference - http://media.animevice.com/uploads/0...ko01_large.jpg)

If I buy white, what dye and how much do you think would make them the appropriate color?

If I cannot find white (small town) and buy skin-toned (peach/nude) what dye and how much do you think would make the appropriate color?

Can I use Kool-aide? Does that stay or come out quickly in nylon?
Should I use Rit dye? If it's red, how much should I use?

My first pair was pretty opaque, will the stockings still be opaque if I buy them that way AFTER dying?

thanks to anyone who can answer this... I'm short on time.
Unread 02-09-2011, 07:09 PM   #8
Nykyriias

Help!

I have a vest that is dark grey and it is 65% polyester, 32% rayon and 3% spandex. What would be a good dye to use on this?
Nykyriias is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2011, 07:46 PM   #9
Yunalicia
Yevonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nykyriias View Post
I have a vest that is dark grey and it is 65% polyester, 32% rayon and 3% spandex. What would be a good dye to use on this?

You are pretty much effed on this one.

If it's dark grey, what colour are you trying to achieve? Cause it really wouldn't matter what the fibre content is if your looking for an unrealistic colour change.

Planned Cons:
*:AnimeNorth:*:2011:*
<3 Ai-Kon 2o11 <3
Yunalicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2011, 08:39 PM   #10
Nykyriias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunalicia View Post
You are pretty much effed on this one.

If it's dark grey, what colour are you trying to achieve? Cause it really wouldn't matter what the fibre content is if your looking for an unrealistic colour change.
I want a royal purple color
Nykyriias is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2011, 11:18 PM   #11
Anagik
Cosplay Nublet

I have had the HARDEST TIME EVER finding a plain black pleated skirt in my size. I JUST found one in a khaki color that is as close as I will ever get. The tag says it's 100% cotton, but I'm not sure about the stitching.

So, I was wondering if this will dye black enough to pass off as black.... or should I sharpie the threads and then dye it? Would the dye cover over the sharpied lines, or would I look like some sort of weird black zebra?

Also, I have a black shirt that has a small bleach stain on it... will the dye cover over that, or am I screwed?
Anagik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2011, 01:40 PM   #12
UllaBritta
Cosplay Newbie

All I can add to this discussion is: STAY AWAY FROM POLYESTER, IT IS THE WORK OF THE DEVIL!!! Meaning; it's almost impossible to dye. I mean you can try but, don't be surprised if it doesn't turn out like you wanted....
Unread 02-10-2011, 09:08 PM   #13
Yunalicia
Yevonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nykyriias View Post
I want a royal purple color
Yup, not gonna happen. Sorry. All I can suggest is with the current vest you have and use it to draft pattern to make one in the colour that you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anagik View Post
I have had the HARDEST TIME EVER finding a plain black pleated skirt in my size. I JUST found one in a khaki color that is as close as I will ever get. The tag says it's 100% cotton, but I'm not sure about the stitching.

So, I was wondering if this will dye black enough to pass off as black.... or should I sharpie the threads and then dye it? Would the dye cover over the sharpied lines, or would I look like some sort of weird black zebra?

Also, I have a black shirt that has a small bleach stain on it... will the dye cover over that, or am I screwed?
It's almost impossible to dye anything true black. Black dye that you buy in the store is usually just an extremely dark colour of something else, usually blue or purple. I have tried to dye a white 100% cotton bed sheet black for use as a back drop and it barely goes to navy blue. That's with keeping the dye heated on the stove while letting it absorb into the fabric.

Planned Cons:
*:AnimeNorth:*:2011:*
<3 Ai-Kon 2o11 <3

Last edited by Yunalicia : 02-10-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Yunalicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2011, 10:51 PM   #14
Anagik
Cosplay Nublet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunalicia View Post
It's almost impossible to dye anything true black. Black dye that you buy in the store is usually just an extremely dark colour of something else, usually blue or purple. I have tried to dye a white 100% cotton bed sheet black for use as a back drop and it barely goes to navy blue. That's with keeping the dye heated on the stove while letting it absorb into the fabric.
Any advice on how to make it true black? Should I just sharpie it? =D
Anagik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 12:36 AM   #15
Kama

@Chi-Nasagawa - If you buy stockings, make sure they are cotton or some natural fiber blend, NOT POLYESTER. You will never dye polyester with things readily available.

You won't be able to get pink from nude stockings since they are usually darker than pink. You can dye darker, but not lighter. White or cream stockings should be available somewhere, considering you can buy them at Walmart (they usually carry the most wanted colors).

Buy pink RIT dye. As close to the color you want. If pink isn't there, get red and use 1/4 of the amount suggested for the weight of your fabric.Check VERY FREQUENTLY on the color. You can always dye them to make them darker, but you can't make them lighter again.

The stockings will stay opaque. Dye adheres to the fibers; it isn't like a paint. Honestly, there are better ways to do this buy I'm trying to stick with stuff you can pick up at a store. Really you'd be better off buying pink thigh-highs for next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anagik View Post
Any advice on how to make it true black? Should I just sharpie it? =D
It is really hard to get true black from anything. The best you can do is probably triple the amount of black dye, dye it for as long as it needs (probably longer than it suggests) and at a high temperature, using the stove top method.

It still probably won't get true black. But it will be faster and better than using a sharpie. If all else fails, get sprayable fabric paint and put a thin layer of black over your dye job. Better at least to make it a dark color.
Kama is offline   Reply With Quote