Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 06-27-2015, 04:52 PM   #1
Amphithere
Disgruntled Peroxide

Question Joy from Inside Out's Dress? Complicated Pattern and Other Help Needed!

I would like to cosplay Joy from Inside Out. However her dress is covered in this spiderweb-firework kind of pattern. dress.JPG I don't know what would be the best way to do make this pattern on the dress. Originally I planned on perhaps painting it, or using Pearl EX powder, or even using glue or wax to draw the lines and then dye the dress the correct color. Would you recommend any of these methods? Do you have any other methods?

Also, I can't find the correct fabric color to begin with. So I figured I would have to dye it (which is how I thought of the glue/wax method), but I still have never worked with dye and I don't have any knowledge of that (like what brand to use, what color to get, can I mix colors?)

What would be the best way to tackle this?

One final thing: for the blue flowery sparks on her dress, I had intended to get rhinestones for that. However, I don't know if I should find sew-on rhinestones or rhinestones to glue. Which would be better?

Thanks for any advice
Amphithere is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-27-2015, 06:36 PM   #2
division-ten
Yes, I AM an Albino

Spoonflower might be your best bet. You can print custom fabric!
Otakon: '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14
Zenkaicon: '09
Katsucon: '10, '15
Animenext: '10, '11, '14
division-ten is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2015, 09:36 PM   #3
o01101011
Just call me Digit

I would suggest printing out a picture showing a large swatch of the fabric and taking it to the fabric store. Go through and see what you can find that is the closest match. And if that doesnt work try ordering swatches online for various fabrics you think are close.

If you lay out the fabric and pin/weigh it down firmly to a solid surface you should be able to paint the edge of say, a yard stick (or other thin straight edge items), and "stamp" the lines onto the fabric. For the sparks you could do a freezer paper stencil to do a paint-base for the rhinestones.

For the rhinestone type, it really depends on how much time you want to put into it. Sewn on rhinestones take ages, but may be more durable in the long run. Glued on should last a while, and would be easy to replace, while being quicker to apply.
o01101011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2015, 07:17 AM   #4
Penlowe

Actually sewn on rhinestones are too big for this design, if you want sturdy attaching and small you need the type that fit into prongs, it's called a Tiffany setting. http://www.mjtrim.com/supplies-tools you buy the settings and the stones separately in whatever size you need.

I've set stones using this method and it's pleasantly forgiving, provided you don't manhandle the fabric in the process. Use a tiny screw driver or a thimble to press the sharp prongs down over the stones. No glue spills or burns, but you can poke yourself pretty good.

Last edited by Penlowe : 06-28-2015 at 07:19 AM.
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2015, 10:57 AM   #5
Amphithere
Disgruntled Peroxide

All of your replies helped me get a better sense of what to do, thanks

Last edited by Amphithere : 06-29-2015 at 11:22 AM.
Unread 06-28-2015, 12:05 PM   #6
Amphithere
Disgruntled Peroxide

o01101011, what do you mean by "stamp"? But what you said did give me a better understanding of what to do. Perhaps I could draw the lines on lightly first with a pencil and then go back over it with paint?

Regarding the rhinestones: I like the idea of painting on the blue design. I thought maybe I could get some navette shaped stones and put them on top of the design, and then fill in the remaining space with circle shaped stones. I think then gluing would be better, but would the rhinestones stay on with the paint? What glue would do the trick?
Unread 06-29-2015, 07:00 AM   #7
Penlowe

If you use quality* fabric paint and set it before going back in with stones, yes the stones will hold if you use the right glue**

* Tulip is not quality fabric paint, get Jacquard or Pebo
** where you buy stones should have the correct glue nearby, don't take a shortcut or try to cut costs on glue, it isn't worth the heartache.
Unread 06-29-2015, 01:23 PM   #8
Tiffany_Park

For good suggestions for gluing rhinestones on fabric, google some costuming forums for ballroom dancing or ice skating. Those people go through thousands upon thousands of flatback rhinestones on costumes that get a heck of a lot more wear and tear than a cosplay.

They seem to like Gem-Tac and E6000 the most, though I think a newer glue has come on the market.
Tiffany_Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2015, 01:34 PM   #9
kandell

Have you considered Spoonflower? You can submit a drawing/design and they'll print fabric to match it. It's a little pricier, but it's an option.
http://www.spoonflower.com/welcome
Facebook
AC Paradise
Twitter
kandell is offline   Reply With Quote