Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 02-09-2015, 03:48 PM   #1
CosplayWho

Painting on a design

Hello! So I am planning to cosplay Shiro from Deadman Wonderland.

Reference:
http://www.animecharactersdatabase.c...r.php?id=23881

So I have the paint (Jacquard), I have the bodysuit (Lycra Spandex). However I have no clue on how I should paint the design. Should I sketch the designs when i'm wearing the suit, then paint them when its off? And should I be stretching the suit when painting? Last question, do I want to add a bit of water to dilute the paint, or will that make it watery and run? Sorry for all the questions, I just don't want to mess up. Thanks in Advance!

-CosplayWho
Anime Boston 2015
Boston Comic Con 2015

Cosplay Progress~
Alfred F. Jones (Hetalia) 100%
Shiro (Deadman Wonderland) 90%
Amainmon (Ao No Exorcist) 0%
CosplayWho is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-09-2015, 07:44 PM   #2
Evil Bishounen
Hail to the King

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosplayWho View Post
So I have the paint (Jacquard)
But which paint? Jacquard is a brand, and they make several types of paints. Which type you have makes a HUGE difference. You can't work with Dye-na-Flow the same way you'd work with Neopaque or Textile Color.

I now have a Tumblr. Sometimes I use it.
Evil Bishounen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2015, 07:57 PM   #3
CosplayWho

Sorry, I have Neopaque.
Anime Boston 2015
Boston Comic Con 2015

Cosplay Progress~
Alfred F. Jones (Hetalia) 100%
Shiro (Deadman Wonderland) 90%
Amainmon (Ao No Exorcist) 0%
CosplayWho is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2015, 08:23 PM   #4
Evil Bishounen
Hail to the King

Neopaque CAN be diluted. I wouldn't do it much, if at all. Normally I would tell someone to test it on a swatch, but you bought your bodysuit pre-made. The only way you can test how the diluted paint would behave is if you altered the suit and have scraps that you cut off, or if you go to the fabric store and buy a remnant or 1/8 yard piece of white spandex. If you have no way of testing, I wouldn't dilute it at all.

Yes, you need to be wearing the suit to draw the designs out for painting. You will need to stretch it. And if you can, you should really be wearing it while it's being painted, take a lot of care to not shift the fabric, and keep it on until the paint is pretty dry.

The reason I say this is that thicker, opaque paints are really NOT ideal for painting onto lycra. Neopaque will not stretch with the material, and anywhere you paint it on, the lycra will no longer be able to contract, either. This means that unless you have it perfectly stretched like how you will wear it, the paint will probably distort the fabric and you'll have ugly ripples while you're wearing it anywhere that there's paint.

If the fabric is stretched too much when you paint, you have looseness and ripples. If the fabric isn't stretched enough, it may not fit on you properly or the paint might split.

You could instead stretch it over cardboard and pin it into place when you paint, just keep the above warnings in mind. You need to stretch just enough, but don't overstretch. Also, DO NOT glob or cake the paint on. Work in very thin layers until you have solid coverage.

I now have a Tumblr. Sometimes I use it.
Evil Bishounen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2015, 07:47 AM   #5
Penlowe

I second buying a piece if spandex for practice. Even if it's not exactly the same, it'll give you a better handle on technique.

Use a smaller brush than you think you might need, Flats are good for filling in large spaces, Rounds for getting the outline in place. Liners are for fine detail like lettering (which I see none of in the link) and Filberts are for more 'sketchy' painting (again, none of that in this piece).

I suggest a #0 or #00 Round and a #1 or #2 Flat.