Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-15-2011, 12:34 PM   #46
ToroSonyCat
Chihiro Fujisaki IRL

I always end up dyeing things for my cosplays XD
It's really useful when you can't find the colour you're looking for like the shoes for my God Tier John cosplay and the t-shirt for my Ness cosplay (Do you know how hard it is to find a yellow and blue/navy striped t-shirt? Harder than it should be. Luckily I managed to find a navy and white one and dye it)

Ryuko Matoi - 25%

Future Cosplays (not working on yet):
Catherine, Wednesday Addams, Roxy Lalonde, fem!Spock, Monobear, Touko Fukawa, Toro Gijinka, Neptune, Rika Furude, Mew Ichigo, Chibimoon, Ramona Flowers, Coco Bandicoot, Stardust Witch Meruru, Juliet Starling, Homura Akemi
ToroSonyCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-28-2011, 01:29 PM   #47
missopposite

petticoat dying

i just bought a polyester petticoat from ebay, and surprise, surprise the colour is not the same as in the pic. So my petticoat is a hot pink and i need it do be dark purple, or at the very least pinky/purple (magenta). I am making a sheryl nome cosplay ( and i would like it to match the purple on her bra and cuffs.
and this is the item i bought (http://www.ebay.ca/itm/360400009817?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p398 4.m1439.l2649#ht_2299wt_828

it is the hot pink one, but it is much more pink than the picture.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
missopposite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2011, 10:00 PM   #48
avsioss

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitter bomb View Post
Plus dyeing for aging/weathering effects.
I have a question along these lines. I'm worried about sounding dumb as hell, but here it goes anyways. Would it be possible to get, like, a messy grey-wash on a pair of jeans using permanent marker ink? I'm not worried about getting a consistent dye-job. If anything I want it to look kind of shitty. I have access to a ton of King-Sized Avery markers that I would like to use if possible. Would it be feasible to remove the ink cartiges and soak/drain them into water that I could then use to discolor the denim?
avsioss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2011, 10:09 PM   #49
vesperia
Champion of Kirkwall

Augh, my dye job came out all splotchy with little lines from the folds - my guess is that I had too much fabric and too small a tub. Also trying to iron it was a horrible idea.

Anyone know if rit dye remover + re-dying will take care of this? My fabric is 100% cotton.
Unread 12-04-2011, 12:37 PM   #50
Divinita Lunare Aria

I've used three different shades of Dylon dye before (comes in a powder form) and I really like it. Advice: Make sure you prewash fabric, make sure it's cotton (I used 100% cotton) start with a little dye then add more as needed.

Make sure the fabric your dying is from the SAME batch. As in, I had white cotton (that thicker, twill weave bottomweight type) from previous costumes, but I needed more so I bought more of that same fabric, but it looked somewhat...yellowed. I bought it anyway (bleached it and it was brighter and white), but they still produced two different blues. So make sure you have fabric from the same batch @_@.

I recently bought some Rit dye in powder form (I think it's called petal pink), so I'll see how that goes. As for splotchy dye jobs...I haven't experienced that yet. Maybe the dye wasn't completely mixed in with the water? Not sure if other dyes require adding salt, but maybe there wasn't enough salt? Or the fabric wasn't prewashed.
Divinita Lunare Aria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2011, 10:27 AM   #51
myalchod
reflections and dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divinita Lunare Aria View Post
As for splotchy dye jobs...I haven't experienced that yet. Maybe the dye wasn't completely mixed in with the water? Not sure if other dyes require adding salt, but maybe there wasn't enough salt? Or the fabric wasn't prewashed.
Darker splotches -- sometimes referred to as freckles in the instructions -- are where the dye didn't dissolve completely and one of the grains stuck to the fabric. If you get lighter spots, that's usually because there wasn't enough room for the fabric to flow freely. Oils from your skin, sizings from the manufacturer, or other sorts of things in the fabric can also affect how dye takes -- which is another reason why prewashing of fabric is usually advised.

And in addition to different dye lots with the base fabric, you also potentially have different manufacturing lots in the dye itself to deal with -- dyeing is one of those situations where it's better to overbuy, especially if you're doing anything with colour mixing.
Ichihara Yuuko - butterfly kimono (xxxHolic / Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle)
Elisabeth - red ballgown (Elisabeth - Takarazuka version)
Thessaly (Sandman - The Kindly Ones)
Elsewhere: Journal ~ ACP ~ CosplayLab
myalchod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2011, 03:28 PM   #52
Ivyna J. Spyder

I need to dye about 6 yards of wool gabardine and I'm not entirely sure what type of dye is going to be best. I just know I'll need to use the washing machine to do it.

I did tests on scraps using plain RIT dye, and it seemed okay, but I've heard so many bad things about it I'm hesitant to use it for the entire thing.

Otherwise I'm stuck between:

acid dyes http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/en...lnav=dyes.html

or cold water dyes: http://www.dickblick.com/products/pr...old-water-dye/

The latter seems like it might be better to help avoid the wool felting in the washing machine, but it doesn't appear to be as good for dyeing wool. Is felting as much of a concern with a very tightly knit fabric?
Ivyna J. Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2011, 04:52 PM   #53
myalchod
reflections and dreams

If you're not sure about felting, try cutting a piece of the wool, measuring it before the wash, and throwing it in next time you do a hot load (like towels) -- that should give you an idea of how much shrink you might expect. The felting from the heat can be controlled by letting the wool cool back to room temperature before washing it out in cold water after the dyeing, and in theory you should be able to limit any felting during the dyeing process with minimal agitation -- I've never needed too much with acid dyes.

The fibre-reactives do work on wool, but you still have to use hot water (instructions). Given that, if you're choosing between the two, I'd try the acid dyes.

Last edited by myalchod : 12-05-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Unread 12-12-2011, 01:31 PM   #54
Mangos_Limes

Hi there,
I would like to dye lace to match the yellow color of the headphones shown here: http://www.cosplayisland.com/files/c...0Len%20Ref.jpg
With lace I'm worried that it may...break? Because it's so delicate, that may sound ridiculous but I'm a complete novice, and only a thread lurker. I'm also worried that if I dye it just from white it will come out too pastel, and not that goldish yellow color. Also I should use Rit dye correct? I'm still collecting information from various posts on these threads...but that seems to be the one?

Cosplaying as:
Byakuran-Reborn
Oz-Pandora Hearts
Kagome-Strawberry Panic
Mangos_Limes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2011, 02:08 PM   #55
myalchod
reflections and dreams

What's your lace made out of? That's going to be the main thing that determines the kind of dye to use, as well as what expectations you can have of colour. Depending on the lace, you might have issues with it breaking during dyeing, but that's mostly if you use a high-agitation method; I had some of this lace fray and break at a few points, but that was because I dyed it in a washing machine with fabric, and it got tangled upon itself and pulled in a few spots. If you're dyeing in a pot or something else where you can control how much the lace is getting shaken up and potentially snagging, you shouldn't have any problems with breakage.

(That lace was also dyed from white; if you find the right shades of dye and use the correct amount, you should be able to go from white straight to golden yellow. At worst, you can overdye to deepen the yellow from a first pass if it's not dark enough for you.)
Unread 12-15-2011, 05:32 PM   #56
Cosmic Rainbow

Question about fabric dye

Hello... first post. Durr hurh.

I'm cosplaying a character tomorrow who wears cargo pants with only one cargo pocket on one side. Last night, I took off one of the pockets... only to realize that the pants must've been dyed after assembly, and now there is a noticeable outline in white on the pair of green pants where the seams of the removed pocket used to be.

So my question is... should I just go out and get different pants, making *sure* that the space beneath the pocket seams is the same color... or can I dye the pants? Will they turn out a uniform color if I do this, or just drastically darken the already-green parts and dye the white pocket outline the dye color, still making the outline really noticeable? I am willing to dye them a few times if it'll somehow make the color uniform, or at least the white outline much less noticeable w/o totally altering the overall color beyond recognition.

If it helps, they are made of 100% cotton and are a denim like fabric, the green being (currently) a faded khaki/army green type color. I think they'd still look fine if they were a bit darker. My goal is to erase or disguise the white pocket outline more than anything.

Thanks, as I don't have much time...
Cosmic Rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2011, 10:36 PM   #57
Mangos_Limes

Quote:
Originally Posted by myalchod View Post
What's your lace made out of? That's going to be the main thing that determines the kind of dye to use, as well as what expectations you can have of colour. Depending on the lace, you might have issues with it breaking during dyeing, but that's mostly if you use a high-agitation method; I had some of this lace fray and break at a few points, but that was because I dyed it in a washing machine with fabric, and it got tangled upon itself and pulled in a few spots. If you're dyeing in a pot or something else where you can control how much the lace is getting shaken up and potentially snagging, you shouldn't have any problems with breakage.

(That lace was also dyed from white; if you find the right shades of dye and use the correct amount, you should be able to go from white straight to golden yellow. At worst, you can overdye to deepen the yellow from a first pass if it's not dark enough for you.)
My lace is made of 100% nylon it says, and I've picked Dylon brand to use (the sunflower yellow color). Thank you so much by the way, I was concerned about color choosing.

Cosplaying as:
Byakuran-Reborn
Oz-Pandora Hearts
Kagome-Strawberry Panic
Mangos_Limes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 03:44 AM   #58
Nefertieh
:B

Today, I tried to dye a light purple 100% cotton lawn piece of fabric red. But it wouldn't take any of the Dylon dye. I don't think there is any special finish on the fabric.

Should I have used some dye remover beforehand?
Nefertieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 11:34 PM   #59
W4RH0US3

I want to paint Neoprene how would I do that would I use dye?
W4RH0US3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2012, 05:00 PM   #60
myalchod
reflections and dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefertieh View Post
Today, I tried to dye a light purple 100% cotton lawn piece of fabric red. But it wouldn't take any of the Dylon dye. I don't think there is any special finish on the fabric.

Should I have used some dye remover beforehand?
Dye remover is typically to get a piece lighter; going from a light purple to a red might leave you a bit of a bluey tone, but shouldn't prevent dye from taking. I've overdyed fabric that was already dyed multiple times in the past, and the existing dyes have never caused a problem for me. That said, using dye remover probably wouldn't make a difference if your fabric's having trouble taking dye; that either points to a flaw in the process or something uncharacteristic with your materials. Did you wash the fabric completely before dyeing? Sometimes the finishes aren't really noticeable but still prevent the dye from taking hold.

If I had to guess, though, the dye not taking at all would suggest to me there's something in your process that might not have gone right. I've not used Dylon personally so I can't hazard a guess as to where, but that's something to consider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RH0US3 View Post
I want to paint Neoprene how would I do that would I use dye?
Neoprene itself? No. Neoprene is a rubber, not a fabric, and will not take fabric dyes. You'd need to impregnate the dye into the rubber as a part of the construction process, not something downstream.

If you're working with a neoprene that has fabric bonded to it, you might be able to get dye to bond to that, but that would depend on what that fabric is. It's kind of an esoteric question; have you tried Googling it?