Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Unread 12-03-2010, 06:28 PM   #1
uruha-fan-girl
Uruki~

Red face newbie at lolita^ ^;

hi...I'm new a this lolita thing...all I really know about it is that Mana-sama can wear it and it looks really good on him^ ^;

But thats all I really know about it...I kinda want to get into this. it looks like so much fun!
Do you think Iwould suit it?
Do you need a bio thing? oh well I'll just do one any way..

Eye colour: Blue
Height: 156/7 cm (5'2 I think)
Weight: about 45kg..
wigs: yeah sure, why no't
Hair: brownish, shoulder length..I have layers so it appears shorter

If there s anything else you need to know just ask

You can also look at some pics of me (just go to my profile and click on photos or somthing..it should be easy to find)

Er..do I have to know how to sew? Because I can tell you now...my sewing skill SUX!!

Thanks for any help/suggestions!

Angel
uruha-fan-girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-03-2010, 08:45 PM   #2
Meiki

Well I'd start with some guides if I were you. The Lolita Handbook, Lolitafashion.org, and there are some good guide things at Hello Lace as well. Honestly, it doesn't really matter what you look like, lolita suits all sorts of people. And no, you don't have to sew. There are plenty of places to buy clothes, there's a bunch of sites in the link list.
Unread 12-04-2010, 01:46 AM   #3
uruha-fan-girl
Uruki~

Thanks a lot, this realy helps^ ^
Unread 12-05-2010, 03:47 PM   #4
sucrose2071

Welcome to the lolita community! ^^ I can't really give any better advice than what Meiki has given, but a good thing to help get you going on the right track is talking to lolitas in person that you might see at conventions, etc. just by asking them where they got pieces of their outfits that you admire and getting a better look at the materials so that you can know what the styles are like and can help you put together some inexpensive outfits of your own. Most lolitas are very nice, but don't feel discouraged if an occasional sourpuss comes along

AM2:
White Witch (Chronicles of Narnia)
Portia (Hunger Games)

AX:
Sugata glittering crux version (Star Driver)
Fire emblem (Tiger and Bunny)
Ash (Adventure Time)

PMX: .... I don't know yet XD;
sucrose2071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2010, 04:25 PM   #5
DaemonForce
Unhealed

Quote:
Originally Posted by uruha-fan-girl View Post
Eye colour: Blue
Height: 156/7 cm (5'2 I think)
Weight: about 45kg..
wigs: yeah sure, why no't
Hair: brownish, shoulder length..I have layers so it appears shorter
Adorable. You're only two plates heavy so I could probably lift you with one arm. o_o

Hello Lace is a good resource. You should pay attention to your body type and what styles look great on you. Start with what you like. Light and dark? Bright colors? Excessive frills? Poofy sleeves? Whatever it is there will be something that looks okay on you and then there's the one that will give people heart attacks upon seeing you. Most of this depends on the shape of your body and hairstyle but there's tons of other variables that inspire new designs. You'll figure it out.

The few friends I have that reshaped their bodies would look stunning in goth and ero loli but I have nil chance of convincing them to try it even if I commissioned the outfits for them. For some reason I'm finding myself really fond of pirate and punk loli these days. I don't have the right body for Ouji loli but if I continue work I might be able to pull it off. The only problem is that it's impossible for me to find anyone skilled enough to commission an outfit. Because of this I know it's going to be far more expensive than anything made for a girl. Again.

This is probably something you should keep in mind. Cosplay, loli and everything between is biased towards girls. That's why the outfits are so inexpensive. Just watch out for cheap designs. x_X
DaemonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2010, 04:43 PM   #6
Meiki

...I don't see that as very helpful DaemonForce, for a number of reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonForce View Post
Excessive frills? Poofy sleeves? Whatever it is there will be something that looks okay on you and then there's the one that will give people heart attacks upon seeing you.
All lolita has frills and poofy sleeves. These aren't exactly choices.

Quote:
The few friends I have that reshaped their bodies would look stunning in goth and ero loli but I have nil chance of convincing them to try it even if I commissioned the outfits for them.
...I don't even know what this means, nor why you're telling us this.

Quote:
I don't have the right body for Ouji loli but if I continue work I might be able to pull it off. The only problem is that it's impossible for me to find anyone skilled enough to commission an outfit. Because of this I know it's going to be far more expensive than anything made for a girl. Again.
Firstly, it's not "ouji loli" it's just "ouji." It's a separate style with loose connections to lolita. ...also the rest of that is completely irrelevant whining more or less.

Quote:
This is probably something you should keep in mind. Cosplay, loli and everything between is biased towards girls. That's why the outfits are so inexpensive. Just watch out for cheap designs. x_X
Seeing as the OP is a girl, as she actually directly stated, that's totally useless information for her as well. And outfits for lolita are typically anything but inexpensive, so I have no idea what you're talking about.

If you would please just talk about things that are relevant to the topic at hand, that would be nice.
Unread 12-05-2010, 05:14 PM   #7
DaemonForce
Unhealed

So? Since I have very limited resources on this topic that means I can't at least be welcoming or talkative to the OP? How viciously repugnant...I'll link Ouji to loli if I want.

I'll be clear. By inexpensive I speak mainly of the large dresses with solid soothing colors. The good ones I see are usually $80-140 between sales. The light and dark themed ones are about half that. I don't know what era you fell out of but to me that's inexpensive.

Well whatever. I'll go crawl back under my rock so that I don't bother you. I'm starting to think I shouldn't be here.
DaemonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2010, 06:03 PM   #8
Meiki

Quote:
So? Since I have very limited resources on this topic that means I can't at least be welcoming or talkative to the OP? How viciously repugnant...I'll link Ouji to loli if I want.

I'll be clear. By inexpensive I speak mainly of the large dresses with solid soothing colors. The good ones I see are usually $80-140 between sales. The light and dark themed ones are about half that. I don't know what era you fell out of but to me that's inexpensive.

Well whatever. I'll go crawl back under my rock so that I don't bother you. I'm starting to think I shouldn't be here.
"Viciously repugnant"? Really? There are rules to this fashion and what you can connect to it. Just because you feel like calling it something, doesn't mean it's correct.

Yes, actually, compared to dressing like you're average woman who can buy $20 dresses at Forever 21, that is pretty damn expensive. And for the record, most brand lolita dresses start at $200 new, but a good chunk are much more than that. There are other options, yes, but $80-140 is on the cheap side for dresses, just so you know. ...also I have no idea what "light and dark themed" is.

The OP was trying to ask some questions and get some answers, if you don't have any useful information for her, yes, I think it's perfectly reasonable to ask not to interrupt the thread.
Unread 12-05-2010, 06:12 PM   #9
Eleksin
Eleksin

Seeing as how the original question had been answered, I think the OP isn't looking here anymore. Any other advice might not be read.

You can link Ouji and lolita, but know that you will always be corrected. It is not a technically correct term so be prepared for people correcting you if you still wish to use it.

I have no idea what you are trying to say about color and price. :/ Are you saying that the black with white trim and lace dresses are inexpensive? While true if looking on ebay and such, not necessarily much when getting into quality clothes. Also, we know what expensive means here. Lolitas are willing to fork over $330+ on a dress. Kinda of horrible if you think about it, but would it not be true for any other designer items?

.... You know. I think people are just trying to find anything and everything to call us rude nowadays.

Last edited by Eleksin : 12-05-2010 at 07:09 PM.
Eleksin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2010, 08:24 PM   #10
uruha-fan-girl
Uruki~

Thank you^ ^
Thats okay, I'll try to do that....but I have never been to a con...and I'm alittle shy^ ^;
I'll try no't to get discouraged^ ^
Unread 12-05-2010, 08:24 PM   #11
burning112d

There's an awful lot of flamey goodness happening here. This sub forum probably needs a moderator.
burning112d is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2010, 08:30 PM   #12
uruha-fan-girl
Uruki~

Meiki Please don't be so mean to DaemonForce...is just trying to help...And I am gratefull for BOTH of your advice! So please dont't continue fighting ok?
Unread 12-05-2010, 08:33 PM   #13
uruha-fan-girl
Uruki~

Quote:
Adorable. You're only two plates heavy so I could probably lift you with one arm. o_o

Hello Lace is a good resource. You should pay attention to your body type and what styles look great on you. Start with what you like. Light and dark? Bright colors? Excessive frills? Poofy sleeves? Whatever it is there will be something that looks okay on you and then there's the one that will give people heart attacks upon seeing you. Most of this depends on the shape of your body and hairstyle but there's tons of other variables that inspire new designs. You'll figure it out.

The few friends I have that reshaped their bodies would look stunning in goth and ero loli but I have nil chance of convincing them to try it even if I commissioned the outfits for them. For some reason I'm finding myself really fond of pirate and punk loli these days. I don't have the right body for Ouji loli but if I continue work I might be able to pull it off. The only problem is that it's impossible for me to find anyone skilled enough to commission an outfit. Because of this I know it's going to be far more expensive than anything made for a girl. Again.

You really think I'm adorable....and could really lift me with just one arm! ha haa^ ^;;
Thank you for all of your information...I'm sure this will help me out greatly!
I didn't realise that they were so many sub genres of lolita!!
And thanks again^ ^

uruha-fan-girl
Unread 12-05-2010, 09:23 PM   #14
Meiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by uruha-fan-girl View Post
Meiki Please don't be so mean to DaemonForce...is just trying to help...And I am gratefull for BOTH of your advice! So please dont't continue fighting ok?
I'll let it go, but just so you know, most of the information he was giving you is entirely wrong. He hasn't done his research and isn't familiar enough with the style to even name sub-styles properly.
Unread 12-05-2010, 09:53 PM   #15
uruha-fan-girl
Uruki~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meiki View Post
I'll let it go, but just so you know, most of the information he was giving you is entirely wrong. He hasn't done his research and isn't familiar enough with the style to even name sub-styles properly.
Oh well...at least he tryed, thats what counts^ ^...I mean I'm no't familiar with the sub-genres either...but thanks anyway for telling me his information wasn't entirley correct...but they will both help me out, so its okay^ ^