Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Pokemon

Unread 12-11-2010, 04:22 PM   #1
ThulZathoth

Fabric Choice for Bellosom costume?

Yeah, after much thought I've decided I should cosplay a Bellosom gijinka.

My scanner is not working, so unfortunately I cannot upload the sketches I made of the outfit, but here's a description:
Sort of 'fluffy' knee-length skirt, sewn in such a way that it looks like Bellosom's skirt. Green tights. A tight green shirt with swirls and leaves on it. Large red flowers in the hair.

Though I have all this planned out, I'm clueless as to what types of fabrics to use.
Is this one of the few costumes where shiny fabric might look alright?
What types of relatively inepensive matte fabric are there that don't look flimsy or cheap, and also come in the right colors?
Should I use different types of fabric for the green and yellow parts of the skirt?
How similar should the fabric of the flowers on the head be to the skirt fabric?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
ThulZathoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-11-2010, 06:26 PM   #2
KittyAngel
cute little kitty >^.^<

Talking

I'm going to assume that you're talking about the Pokemon Bellosom, right?

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/1...ssom_large.jpg

Here's a Reference so it'll be easier.

Okay, this can easily be solved with a wired hoop skirt from the Renissance time and just cut out, I'm going to say either, silk or cotton fabric for the patterns of the skirt. The top part can easily be a leotard, which that calls for stretch fabric.

So, yeah just find something simple and cheap for the skirt and try to find a wired hoop skirt so that can be a base for the skirt aspect.

I hope this helps and good luck

DeviantArt.com
JapaneseBlossomKitty
KittyAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2010, 09:46 PM   #3
ThulZathoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAngel View Post
I'm going to assume that you're talking about the Pokemon Bellosom, right?

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/1...ssom_large.jpg

Here's a Reference so it'll be easier.

Okay, this can easily be solved with a wired hoop skirt from the Renissance time and just cut out, I'm going to say either, silk or cotton fabric for the patterns of the skirt. The top part can easily be a leotard, which that calls for stretch fabric.

So, yeah just find something simple and cheap for the skirt and try to find a wired hoop skirt so that can be a base for the skirt aspect.

I hope this helps and good luck
Ah, yes. Should have posted a ref in my OP.

Though thank you very much for the advice! It's quite helpful. I have a much better idea on how to proceed now.
ThulZathoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2010, 11:51 AM   #4
KittyAngel
cute little kitty >^.^<

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThulZathoth View Post
Ah, yes. Should have posted a ref in my OP.

Though thank you very much for the advice! It's quite helpful. I have a much better idea on how to proceed now.
Sure, no problem Glad I was able to help. Again, good luck on your cosplay It's going to look great^_^

DeviantArt.com
JapaneseBlossomKitty
KittyAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2010, 11:47 PM   #5
Tatsu-chan

To get the distinct poof you will want probably for a belossom cosplay, I would go with a
hoop but also some tulle over the top. It will help to make the
skirt poof in the right way. Also if you just go with the hoop. Please please PLEASE don't just sew it into the skirt(not entirely sure how you could but meh) It will be very visible and hoops were made with the intention of not being visible

Another good option would be a nice bum roll.It will be cheaper and easier to walk in

as for fabric, if you go with a silk, go with something that isn't cheap. CHeap silk will make your costume look cheap.
Cotton is nice but a nice if you don't want to break the bank but a nice damask silk would be wonderful

Last edited by Tatsu-chan : 12-12-2010 at 11:50 PM.
Tatsu-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2010, 11:52 PM   #6
nannyogg
:)

I like to work with broadcloth or quilter's cotton when doing things where I don't want to spend a fortune. Comes in lots of colors, and you can layer tulle underneath on the skirt. I don't think I'd go with shiny for Belossom.
nannyogg is offline   Reply With Quote