Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Unread 12-17-2010, 05:44 PM   #16
PoodleBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalistPotato View Post
Well, you take a noose and...
Just kidding. I search this up, and apparently it goes like this.
As I thought. On to a shorts/skirt hanger. A clothesline could work too.
If I'm correct, it looks like the hanger is grabbing the petti by the hem of the inner layer.

Although from what I hear, hanging a petticoat like that only works if there's enough room. If it's being squished on the sides from other clothes, it will eventually lose it's poof. I've heard others say it's better to put a petticoat in a drawer or a bin so that it'll have more room.
Would this be a good way to store a petticoat? (The position, not the location ) I would imagine having the petticoat spread out like that would help keep it "uplifted", but it has to be done on a flat surface, like a drawer, bin, shelf, or floor.
Lolita petticoats are shaped a little different than the 50s style that you are looking for, so there are diff ways to pack them and store them. I find my 50s style petticoats keep there fluff up better when layed out on shelving or in storage areas much like that photo in that 2nd link. As for packing them, I also think the best way is just stuff them in a box and fluff them out when youre ready to wear them. As for long term storage, hanging them from skirt hangers, whether upside down or inside out, always eventually causes them to lose their pouf (this is caused by the force of gravity on the threads in the seams of the tiers)

Good luck with your event! Im male and crossdress often for 50s theme events, shows, carshows, etc, when Im not dressing in sweet lolita. Post some pics of your excursion in the Crossplay section here if you want!

Unread 12-17-2010, 07:23 PM   #17
GlobalistPotato

LOL I'm pretty sure I will!
Just tell me if I look better than the other guys. lol jk.
Yeah. I know lolita petticoats are bit different than the ones from the 50s, but I figured this forum would be the best place to ask. Besides, as one girl said..
Quote:
I make blood sacrifices to the loli-gods to keep my petti poofy.
So I thought they'd have plenty of knowledge on the subject.
Interesting technical explanation on why hanging a petticoat upside down tends to, well, kill it. I dunno. Maybe it's better for short term use, like right after it's removed from the bag or while drying after getting washed. What really confuses me is that there's no agreement on if hanging a petti upside down helps it fluff up or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunoichi Neko View Post
My petti can't be hung like that. It is Candy Violets fluffy petti. Different style than that
Okay then. Maybe the hanging method won't work for you. But this girl has the same petti, and she says she doesn't have problems with it deflating.
So I think I'll go ahead with the lying down method. My question: How much space will I need?
Using the photo in the second link as a guide, I was able to judge how much space those petticoats were using. The beer-keg is about 14 inches wide and takes up a fifth or sixth of the hallway, so 14*5=70 inches. Or almost 6 feet. The petticoats seem to take up 3/5ths of the hallway, so they're about 4 feet in diameter, or about 2 feet in radius. 2 ft = 24 inches. I'd say the petticoats are 22 or 21 inches long, which is around the length I'm looking for.
So a 4x4x2 bin for the petticoat?
GlobalistPotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2010, 07:30 PM   #18
celticfreefall

Basically, it's like turning a dress inside out, then putting the chair up into the dress so that it's "hanging on the back". If that visual helps. You're not hanging it by the hem, the hem is hanging down the chair. It's just be flipped inside out like any other garment and laid on top of a chair back. I also have an organdy Candy Violet/Malco Modes petticoat. Because of the organdy you can't hang it by the hem with a pants/skirt hanger. It will damage the petticoat. These petticoats don't really deflate.
celticfreefall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2010, 08:51 PM   #19
GlobalistPotato

Well isn't that awesome? I might just go ahead with an organdy petticoat anyway. Even if I can't hang it, I can just lay it on the shelf.
Which one of Malco Modes petticoats is the organdy one?
I have a question though: what's the difference between an organdy petticoat and an organza petti? And where's the best place to look for them?
Unread 12-17-2010, 09:25 PM   #20
celticfreefall

It's a Malco Modes 582. Basically the difference between the two is the fiber content. Organza is more sheer and less hardy.
celticfreefall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2010, 10:19 PM   #21
Kunoichi Neko
The World is Mine! =^w^=

[quote=GlobalistPotato;3726683
Okay then. Maybe the hanging method won't work for you. But this girl has the same petti, and she says she doesn't have problems with it deflating.[/QUOTE]

KK Good I was just worried.

Future cons: Akicon 2011
Sakuracon 2012
My Lovely Lolita Blog A Cursed Doll
Kunoichi Neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2010, 12:46 AM   #22
GlobalistPotato

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticfreefall View Post
It's a Malco Modes 582. Basically the difference between the two is the fiber content. Organza is more sheer and less hardy.
Malco Modes 582 is a chiffon petticoat, the same one Kunoichi Neko has. It looks fine for my tastes, and it looks poufy enough, but the price tag of $55 seems like a bit too much for me.
Where did you get your petticoat? Malco Modes is a wholesale supplier for square dancing, and I'm wondering if I can find his petticoats or ones similar to him at square dance supply stores. Hopefully for more reasonable prices.
Aren't square dancing supply stores just part of dancing supply stores in general?

Last edited by GlobalistPotato : 12-18-2010 at 12:47 AM. Reason: moo