Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photo Critique

Unread 12-22-2010, 10:52 AM   #1
shadowbeam
Living for the cosplay

out of interest... ;)

Heya all, I've been keeping a close eye on this section of the forums and thought it was about time I made an effort and got some pictures up.

The pictures were taken by my partner, neither of us consider ourselves photographers yet so he is quite happy for me to use stuff on here, we worked together on the shots.

Just be aware... These pictures were the first time either of us had worked with the camera so we are pretty damn new to this!

One thing I don't want criticism for is use of photoshop...because we haven't used it :P But will be using it soon once we have got our heads around it!

Also, I know the location (my house >>) is far from ideal, but it was a spur of the moment idea, just to take some pictures for my profile page, so in future obviously, locations will be better!

Thanks all in advance!
shadowbeam is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-30-2010, 10:36 AM   #2
ByeByeBeautiful
angels have the phonebox

As you’ve found out, it’s very, very difficult to shoot costumes in your own home. Modern patterns, equipment, and general clutter get in the way.

Photo 1 - Interesting angle and good lighting. It’s even and sets off the colors nicely. Be careful of your focus, though. Lulu’s fingers are sharp, but the eyes and hair are a bit blurry.

Also watch out of random items in the background. Is that a white Christmas tree growing out of her head?

Photo 2 - For this shot, I would have preferred to see the model look up into the camera. This pose makes her look demure and shy, which we all know Lulu is not.

Photo 3 - I like the idea of the silhouette. Plain curtains instead of blinds would set the shape off better.

Photo 4 - This one doesn't work at all. I can’t see enough of the hair or ornaments to really tell who the subject is.

You’re trying different compositions, so this is a good start. The photos are all pretty well lit. I think moving to a new location is going to help tremendously!

Looking forward to seeing more!

Next Con
Youmacon 2011

ByeByeBeautiful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2010, 11:41 AM   #3
shadowbeam
Living for the cosplay

Thanks alot for the feedback, it's much appriciated
I can't wait to start going to better locations, gonna make such a difference I hope.
Thanks again!
shadowbeam is offline   Reply With Quote