Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Original Designs

Unread 12-23-2010, 06:36 PM   #1
Soku

Adding your own design elements to your cosplays?

So has anyone ever added their design elements to a cosplay, to make it stand out more, or just because you thought it would look better? I hope I'm not the only one >.>

I ask this because I just finished adding the pink flames on to my Ashura kimono, but to me, it looks really boring =/ So on one of the sleeves I added a lighter wash to bring out the flames, then I added some light and dark purple flames, finishing with lighter redish pink streaks.

Now it's sitting on my table and I'm wondering if I should just go on with the rest. It still has the flames, they're just...different =P

I'm also planning on showing this in a cosplay contest, is this sort of thing frowned upon?
Miwako Sakurada - Paradise Kiss
Goku - Saiyuki

Convention plans for 2011
Tsukino Con-Attended
Cos&Effect-Will be going
Soku is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-23-2010, 06:42 PM   #2
kuroki-neko
A hero reborn

no not really as long as u still look like ur character you will be fine. unless there are certian paterns/ things that are vital to the cosplay .
kuroki-neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2010, 06:43 PM   #3
Leeksoup

Depends on who you ask, I think. Personally I wouldn't worry about it- if minor details like that make a costume better or more attractive, go for it! I do know some people, though, that at the very least deduct points for not being 100% accurate. (Sometimes even when you are!)

Do what you like.

Samurai Jack
Solid Snake (MGS2)
Two-Face (Dark Knight version)

In Progress/Planned:
Minecraft Creeper
Castle Guard (Legend of Zelda)
Cable
Leeksoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2010, 06:54 PM   #4
Write Knight
Addicted to BIG Costumes

I can definitely see myself doing this if there were no high detail concept art images. Someone like the Teen titans Slade for instance is just screaming to have certain parts of his outfit be reinterpreted as chain mail. Otherwise, I tend to skip some of the teeny tiny details because of lack of attention span or due to irritation.
Write Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2010, 06:57 PM   #5
alpha_helix
beer + costumes

I almost always find myself going "No, it will look way cooler THIS way!" so I know where you're coming from.

How this relates to contests is largely a "your mileage may vary thing." Depends on the contests, depends on the judge. All I know is my experience where I did manage to get two awards for costumes that took considerable liberties with the source material. Though, I can't say if that's a common occurrence or anything.
youtube channel! Facebook Page
alpha_helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2010, 07:26 PM   #6
Celcia
Revolutionary Girl

I'm adding my own touches to my current project, actually. XD I'm making Princess Serenity and to me, the dress looks quite boring without any added textures since it's a white on white upon more white dress. I'm adding silver trim around the white rings, adding textured rope braid trim for the three white ribbons on the bodice, and using textured lace for the weird loop things. I usually only do video game costumes and I can see the textures in the giant CG pictures, but with manga designs, I have to add a little extra to make it look more "alive."

deviantArt account
Celcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2010, 11:22 PM   #7
Amanita

I did this with my Shaak Ti cosplay. I made a set of bracers carved with a pattern that matched her acreen-accurate apron. To carry my stuff in, I also made a matching belt pouch, tooled with the same pattern. It still looks like the movie costume, but with a nice personal touch that livened up a few areas which were pretty bland originally.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2010, 01:14 AM   #8
Inoli
I Nom Swords

YES!!!!
Shunsui.... I liked the idea of clouds, flowers and pink with the kimono he wears. however I HATED the anime design and I wasnt sure how to get the manga design to work without MASSIVE ARTHRITIC CAUSING EMBROIDERY. I also added skulls to the hilts.
I had sooooo many reasons for why I did what I did... the skulls.... samurai would commonly have something ...wrapped in the hilt of the katana's for luck for honor...the skulls are a shout out to an old Ghost story that the swords were possibly named after. adds detail too.

depending on your skill level.... masters I donno how...... I'd be able to swing past the judges with accuracy with that. however intermediate I'm sure they'd love the little artistic swirl if for historical accuracy and or for "real" reasons [seen better on stage, emphasizes on artbook pictures ect ect].

but my dear... you are not the only one adding your own little artistic flair in ^^ sometimes I think it's important to set yourself apart from the herd! ;D

[/color] [/size]
Inoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2010, 01:57 AM   #9
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

I have managed to take several liberties with costumes I've made for myself and others over the years and never had anyone frown upon them. Sometimes I choose to do so because I'm working from a single reference picture, so I have to make up parts, therefore I have something that the artist may or may not have considered. Other times, I alter for the sake of making it more real. Some things, especially in anime and manga, aren't easily accomplished in real life, so you have to find ways to make them work.

As for liberties in a contest, I've entered two of them I've done so with, one of which did win an award. My Madam Red from Kuroshitsuji is a mixture of manga and historically accurate and it, along with two other Kuroshitsuji cosplay I made, won Best Craftsmanship in A-kon 21's Friday Hall Cosplay Contest. So as others have said, a lot of times it will depend on what the contest is and who is judging it.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2010, 08:36 AM   #10
Gypsyangelf4i
Places to go,People to be

Yes! OMG. I'm planning on doing Ceil's pink party dress, but HATE that grey wig. I'll most likely find a black/blue one that will work and look better (to me). And hey, it's MY cosplay and I'm not entering any contests with it, so who gives a flip? As long as I like it, that's all that counts.
Unread 12-24-2010, 09:32 PM   #11
NatsumiYuri
NatsumiYuri

I am doing my own version of Naruto, though thats more because there is no way in this world that I can cosplay as a boy . Anyway, I have seen a lot of people who do original cosplay of excisting charatcers!!!
NatsumiYuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2010, 05:46 PM   #12
Hynoxolus
Master Disaster Blaster

I've found myself doing this more and more recently... XD Me and a friend did a Lady Gaga Dalek/Tardis for a Doctor Who con and we're in the process of turning FFX Aeons into elegant human-type dresses. Both were/are going to be 100% our own design, more inspired by the characters.

As for small elements to already established characters, I feel like adding small elements, wither it be a fabric with a subtle pattern to it or extra well-places embellishments are totally acceptable; this is YOUR costume!
Hynoxolus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2010, 03:14 AM   #13
Annwyn
Daisy Viktoria

I always add my own touch to my costumes. I find it very boring to confine myself completely to someone else's design. I've often chosen character designs with some ambiguity or variance just because of this reason, but no matter what, those little touches and details do make the costume your own.
Unread 01-02-2011, 08:42 AM   #14
Fennius

Well I took a few liberties with my time lord costume, although that was partly due to me not being able to make a fully accurate one.
Fennius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2011, 02:39 PM   #15
Celia Rose
wanna-be abs of steel

I like adding my own touch to costumes to make them stand out from the other people who are cosplaying the same design as me.
Like, for my Sheryl Nome LION outfit, I opted for the colors from the final episode and the Macross F fanbook design, and have a flower piece for my hair instead of the same old pearl clips that she wears in the TV's opening sequence. It looks pretty and it makes my costume stand out~ For my other Sheryl Nome costume, I'm using the new Sheryl pendant released by Bandai as an accesory. It looks different from what other cosplayers use and looks more like the designs in the movie art book.
For Yoko, I beaded the edges of the flames on my top instead of stitching them down (mostly to hide my choppy edges "Orz) because it made my Yoko different from the 20 other Yokos that'll be wandering around the con.

Artistic flair is fun~ Even if it's just a slight deviation from the original design.
Celia Rose is offline   Reply With Quote