Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Unread 12-25-2010, 12:19 PM   #1
Rainbowgasm
fruity goodness!

Horse Owners/Riders?

How many of you here own or ride horses?

I have been riding for about 11 years... I have done mostly hunters, but I am really getting into dressage and I have also done and want to do more western in the future...
I DO have my own horse, she is a 14.3hh, 4 year old (May 2006), sorrel, registered Quarter Horse mare with a blaze and a hind sock on one and a hind stocking on the other (picture of her on her 3rd birthday), I call her Angel, and I have owned her since she was 5 months old, so this is our 5th winter together.
Angel went through a few issues with training (she's a bucker) and I was not confident enough to break her of it, so I had my trainer take her on for a while and now she is actually very easy to ride as long as I ride 2-3 times or more a week... she is still stubborn, but so am I so sometimes we clash, but most of the time it works out in the end.
I ride her hunter right now, though we are teaching her the basics of dressage as we believe its a good foundation for ANY riding style... She does not jump yet, and at the moment I don't plan to teach her myself because I am a rather timid rider and jumping is my one fault (that is a taught part- bucking is my other one, which is why I couldn't handle it when Angel was letting out big bucks in the early days, I can handle the odd small one she gives now)... but I may get the trainer to teach her so maybe one day I could have a part-boarder who could jump her, because I know from free jumping, she loves it and has AMAZING form.
Angel is the kind of horse who is in the bottom of the pecking order, but she fights when a new horse comes in unfortunately, and we cannot have her in a stall where she can see the horse beside her because she will kick the walls down, and I don't believe in using kick chains, though I do not criticize those who do. She also gets an attitude in the winter, like me- she hates the cold and snow...
I plan to show her in some hunter hacks this spring an summer. Her show name is Angel with Attitude... because she can be an angel, but she can also be a demon mare XP

My gf also has a 5 year old Andalusian gelding... bay... 15.3hh.. trained in dressage (not at the same barn as me, they live in a diff. city XP), though its more her mom's horse- she hasn't ridden in 3 years... and now because her mom was in an accident, she can't really ride anymore... so their trainer is riding him- but as soon as I move closer to them, I will probably be taking over his riding X3 His name is Dante...
Battler Ushiromiya from Umineko no Naku Koro Ni

Last edited by Rainbowgasm : 12-25-2010 at 12:45 PM.
Rainbowgasm is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-25-2010, 01:20 PM   #2
Gypsyangelf4i
Places to go,People to be

I used to train/show/breed horses. Did mainly huntseat,but also did a bit of dressage, eventing, western and barrell racing in my early days and ended with showing Paso Finos. Got out of it about 10 years ago when I got into motorcycles. Just kinda burned out on all of it. Showing, training, dealing with crazy people who wanted their horses to do things their horses weren't built to do. Ugh, "No your 2,000 lb draft horse will not be an A Class show jumper". >:-/ I do still have my first horse though. He's about 28 now and retired. Sweet little 15.1 hand Quarter/Arab cross.
Unread 12-25-2010, 02:11 PM   #3
Eiyoko

I used to ride horses but I quit a long time ago. My mother owns a few (two paints, two arabians I believe); they make for cool cosplay photos when I'm in a relevant cosplay :3 I still haven't ridden in forever though...
Eiyoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2010, 06:16 PM   #4
Havilah
Far too cosserious.

I have been riding for six years. I have a 15-year-old bay Arabian/Thoroughbred cross. His name is Star. (I know, the equivalent of naming your dog "Spot," right? Not what I would have chosen.) He is the perfect example of what they say about Arabians LOVING people. He is my... third horse.

When I was twelve, someone gave me a positively amazing old QH mare and a geriatric Thoroughbred they were going to have put down otherwise because they needed to move. They both passed away two years ago. (Had to put down the poor Thoroughbred, she used to race and was in pretty rough shape when we got her, suddenly went lame in two legs, had no teeth left, was losing weight and just... meh. A miserable month after losing her best friend, my Quarter Horse colicked, and there was nothing we could do.

I haven't been able to ride much this winter because of the weather, which is killing me... I keep him at home rather than at a barn, which is great, except for that fact that we don't have a covered arena. I ride English and Western (um... which saddle do I feel like sitting in today?) though I've never had English lessons...

I would really like to take jumping lessons someday, just not on this horse. I have jumped him several times before when I was feeling brave, (lol!) but it's like he likes it TOO much... he gets all excited and wants to start running around in circles.

I'm looking to get a second horse this spring! For a while I was keeping a 5-year-old Norwegian Fjord for some family friends who were too timid to put those first few rides on him, but he is happily carting folks around back at his farm now, and Star is lonely!

Wow, um... well, now that you've heard my life story... xD
Havilah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2010, 09:57 PM   #5
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I USED to ride (Western saddle) for about four years in my preteens/early teens, and miss it dearly. Someday I'll certainly ride again. I had an excellent instructor in an idyllic rural location who also taught you to take care of the animals and made you actually work at it. Go in and catch the horse yourself, saddle it up, groom it, control it WITHOUT resorting to crops and whips, etcetera. I also remember getting my foot stepped on (and I was just wearing normal, non steel-capped boots) by one of the horses and to my absolute shock, not a bit of damage.
Hell, I'm so nostalgic, I'll tell you about the mounts I got my lessons on.

First one; Krista. An old mixed-breed mare, all-white, and very gentle; always the starter horse when you'd just started learning to ride. She had a big swayback on her because she'd been broken in too young (and as a result also liked to snap when you saddled her up), which my teacher had treated and gotten her to a state where she could be ridden.

Second one; Isabeau, or "Izzy". A gorgeous little arabian bay mare. Super smooth gait, and my favourite, she held her hooves up for you when you picked them out, so I didn't kill my back.

Third one; Easily the most personality of them, Aries. A big (he was at least 15.5 hh, and at the time, I barely cleared five feet. Hell, I still barely clear five feet) mixed-breed brown gelding with a plucked mane, he was a rescue from Alberta back when they had that devastating drought. He was borderline too large for me because I could barely mount him, was quite willful, a rough trotter, and he had a crush on Krista, who didn't like him and once nearly got kicked by her in a group lesson because I got a litle too close. He was also best friends with the little shetland pony used for young kid's lessons (lol, talk about size difference). He'd frequently give me problems when putting the halter on him by tossing his head up out of my reach while the pony nuzzled my back, making me giggle and hunch over and not be able to get Aries out of the field.

And last one; Wise Old Star (or just Star). He was a beautiful brown and white apaloosa gelding, who was a very smooth ride. He did, however, have this quirk that proved great for shifting my form more smoothly when he changed gaits; he'd gradually speed up, toss his head and jump a bit, THEN go into the trot/canter/etc. So I'd know precisely when to go from sitting on my ass to posting, and whatnot.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c

Last edited by ShinobiXikyu : 12-25-2010 at 09:59 PM.
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2010, 10:16 PM   #6
belligerent
Viking Metal

I've had horses for 18 years. I used to ride (English when I was 7, then took a break and started up Western when I was 9) and used to show and such, but then I wound up with no time to do it due to marching band in high school. I haven't ridden in a few years and my parents still have the remaining horses, all quarter horses. We had four at one time; one died in 2000 of old age and another freakishly died last month for no reason anybody can figure out, possibly an aneurysm... She was 17. We still have my first horse and her son.

Now I just ride motorcycles.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2010, 08:45 AM   #7
Brsis
Shitsuji DESU~~~

I rode for *count* eleven years? (Between the ages of four or five and seventeen-ish) but we never had the land or money for me to have my own pony. Towards the end that started to really show - there's a point where you just stop getting better when you can only ride at most twice a week and always on a different pony (Not to mention... for some reason even though I was a very timid child my stable gave me all the NUTCASES)

Then the half-ton halfinger of doom (Still don't know why they were giving classes on this pony - not only was she too wide for most of the kids to get their legs around, she bolted. And I don't mean occasionally. I mean five, six times an hour - every hour - every day) tripped over her own feet and landed on top of me It took a long time for the bones to heal, and then I had university and work and there just wasn't any time. It's one of those things that's on my list to do when I'm not a full-time student any more ^.^

I have a standing invitation to go learn how to ride side-saddle with a friend of mine, but it's a long way away and I'm unlikely to able to put it into practice very often. But it would be nice...
and if you decode its complicated patterns you inevitably decide you're God,
to the considerable detriment of your social life."
Brsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2010, 09:19 AM   #8
mandi_uchiha

I've been a rider since the first time i was sat in one of those weird wicker basket things they tie to a pony -- so about 1 or 2? so i've been riding for about 14 years? I've owned a few horses in the past but i had to give it up due to the fact i've started my A-levels and i'm off to university soon. We've had 5 horses in the past, there was Polo who is a 12.3hh flea-bitten grey welsh mountain pony (who my parents still kept as he was the first :P) then there was Flojo(14.1hh Skewbald Cob psychotic horse!!!) Jack (15hh Welsh Cob), then chloe(13hh Blue and grey no clue what breed - she was rescue) and Jolly (dapple grey 15.3hh TBxConnemara). I've only ever ridden english (as well thats really one of the only options here in the UK western saddles cost an arm and a leg more! xD I've done juniour racing before with Jolly as she is a TBxConnemara we've done hunting and competed at showjumping too (had a few lessons with William Funnell!!!!)

Quite sad to of given everything up, but i can't take the three ponies with me to London! but if and when i come back i can still see them as we put them out on loan! I've even done a Sengoku Basara cosplay of Yuikmura Sanada with Jolly and did one for Zero Kiryu - Perfect colour for the zero photos but the wrong for Yukimura xD (but hey, what are you going to do?) i might try and dig up some of the photos!

Friday- Takeshi Morinozuka- Ouran High School Host Club
Saturday - Rikuo Nura (Yokai form) - Nurarihyon no mago
Sunday - Sora - Kingdom Hearts II
mandi_uchiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2010, 11:36 AM   #9
Rainbowgasm
fruity goodness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandi_uchiha View Post
I've been a rider since the first time i was sat in one of those weird wicker basket things they tie to a pony -- so about 1 or 2? so i've been riding for about 14 years? I've owned a few horses in the past but i had to give it up due to the fact i've started my A-levels and i'm off to university soon. We've had 5 horses in the past, there was Polo who is a 12.3hh flea-bitten grey welsh mountain pony (who my parents still kept as he was the first :P) then there was Flojo(14.1hh Skewbald Cob psychotic horse!!!) Jack (15hh Welsh Cob), then chloe(13hh Blue and grey no clue what breed - she was rescue) and Jolly (dapple grey 15.3hh TBxConnemara). I've only ever ridden english (as well thats really one of the only options here in the UK western saddles cost an arm and a leg more! xD I've done juniour racing before with Jolly as she is a TBxConnemara we've done hunting and competed at showjumping too (had a few lessons with William Funnell!!!!)

Quite sad to of given everything up, but i can't take the three ponies with me to London! but if and when i come back i can still see them as we put them out on loan! I've even done a Sengoku Basara cosplay of Yuikmura Sanada with Jolly and did one for Zero Kiryu - Perfect colour for the zero photos but the wrong for Yukimura xD (but hey, what are you going to do?) i might try and dig up some of the photos!
OH! I'm a Zero cosplayer too XP unfortunately my horse is chestnut, not grey like Lily... and the only grey we have on the farm that is light enough (white pretty much) is a 12.1hh pony... though she's got the Lily attitude sometimes... both MY horse and Alliya the pony XP
Unread 12-26-2010, 12:54 PM   #10
mandi_uchiha

^ awww it sounds like it'd be sooo cute to se Zero on a 12.1hh pony xD but highfiveness on the Zero cosplayerness!

Friday- Takeshi Morinozuka- Ouran High School Host Club
Saturday - Rikuo Nura (Yokai form) - Nurarihyon no mago
Sunday - Sora - Kingdom Hearts II
mandi_uchiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2010, 10:44 PM   #11
Rainbowgasm
fruity goodness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandi_uchiha View Post
^ awww it sounds like it'd be sooo cute to se Zero on a 12.1hh pony xD but highfiveness on the Zero cosplayerness!
Indeed XP but I'd just be afraid that my 160pound-ness would hurt the poor thing :S as it is I worry about my mare sometimes 'cause her legs look so thin compared to the other horses...
Unread 12-27-2010, 02:47 PM   #12
UsagiNoSenshi
Dance Commander!

I started riding western when i was 9, I used to do games shows when I was in highschool. I had a 14.1 Quarter Horse - Arabian mix named Lady. I miss her so much T_T After college I moved away from my parent's farm so no more livestock pets for me. I have a friend who has three horses and she gets me to ride with her once in a while, we were thinking of training to barrel race in a local rodeo over the summer.
Sumire - Sakura Taisen
Sayaka - Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Kaidan Alenko - Mass Effect 3
Ashe - LoL
UsagiNoSenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2010, 03:31 PM   #13
ShinyDrifloon
The only Shiny Drifloon!

I don't own a horse sadly but I've been riding for six, seven years. I usually go to multiple horse camps every year through Girl Scouts, I eaven did WIT (Wrangler in Training) and spebt the whole summer with the horses. I want to become a wrangler but the current head wrangler wants the others to have 'outside training and experience,' which I don't have. A few friends of mine own horses and I've ridden them a few times. One of the wranglers even gave me a few dressage lessons because she thought I was perfect for it and still recommends me to do it.
ShinyDrifloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2010, 12:16 AM   #14
rubyspitfire
queen of the closet

my grandma ran a rescue for a while and had about 30 horses at one time (even though at most 5 were rideable) so i've been around them my whole life. i took english lessons while in jr high but everyone i knew who had horses only rode western. i haven't been riding since i moved to this state, but if i ever pick it back up again i think i'm going to get an aussie or endurance saddle. i don't think my back can handle anything else

cosplay schedule
SoDak Con!!
Jean Havoc - Fullmetal Alchemist and FMA: Brotherhood
Sanji - One Piece
Catwoman - DC Comics/Gotham Girls (fanart version)

Ruby Spitfire, official D20 Girl
Support a single mom ^.^
rubyspitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2010, 12:44 AM   #15
Kawaiichibiz

I ride horses XD, or at least used to. I've only ridden for around a year, mostly english style, then I stopped taking lessons and I never went back. T_T (needs money) so I wouldn't even consider getting my own horse. Hopefully I can start up again, It's actually something I enjoy doing, even more than drawing and sewing XD! But for now I'm going to concentrate on some other things like school and getting in shape.

Last edited by Kawaiichibiz : 12-28-2010 at 12:47 AM.
Kawaiichibiz is offline   Reply With Quote