Go Back   Cosplay.com > International Forums > Japan

Unread 12-25-2010, 05:22 PM   #1
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Pervert Prevention

So I have lost my chikan virginity >.<

Last night, at about 3 am, some dude in black plainclothes trucked past me in a crowded club and squeezed by breast quite blatantly in passing. Before I could see him or process what had happened, he had slipped into the crowd ahead of me by the stage.

I immediately told my two nearby male friends who formed a protective circle around me and did their best to look scary. No more incidents...

But I kept my eye out for that boob-squeezer... and not being able to pick him out bugged me more and more as the night went on.

What should I have done differently to catch myself a creeper and save some other girls the trouble?

LAYERS Tutorial Translations: here, Blog: here
~ Cosplayer's Archive #67148 ~ Cure #224396 ~ My Marketplace Page ~
kiratsukai is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-25-2010, 05:36 PM   #2
DaemonForce
Unhealed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiratsukai View Post
But I kept my eye out for that boob-squeezer... and not being able to pick him out bugged me more and more as the night went on.

What should I have done differently to catch myself a creeper and save some other girls the trouble?
Haha lucky girl is suddenly popular.

It's a flip of a coin if the molester is experienced or simply found you overwhelming. I'm assuming it's the later. A simple scream of ちかん!would have made him freeze long enough for you to tell who was doing it. If you're brave, you could have just grabbed his hand and beat the piss out of him right there, but that's not very lady like, is it?
Aki'11 - 1%
Yaoi'11 - 1%

Dance
Cantarella - 25%
Hare Hare Yukai (Non-Lead) - 35%
DaemonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2010, 01:21 AM   #3
CelestialShadow

I had the same problem in Shibuya, some guy copped a feel on my butt walking across the street and like you it was obvious because the cross walk was not crowded at all and therefore there was no reason for him to be walking so close to me. I turned around to confront him and he was running down the street so I couldnt catch up to beat his ass...i was stupid and wore flip flops that day so i cant run that fast =(

honestly, I think its awesome for a girl to flip out and beat a guy who deserves it. The reason why these pervs get away with what they do is because girls are being TOO lady like and not fighting back or raising a hallabaloo.

www.phantomlegacycostumes.com
www.elegantrebecca.etsy.com
CelestialShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2010, 02:00 AM   #4
A to the O
Sith of Moderate Success

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonForce View Post
Haha lucky girl is suddenly popular.
DaemonForce, seriously? kiratsukai is obviously feeling a tad violated and you're going to call her a "Lucky girl" for being "popular?" I'm kind of surprised you didn't accuse her of dressing too provocatively and in doing so "asking" to be molested... Oh, wait...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonForce View Post
simply found you overwhelming. I'm assuming it's the later.
... You basically did exactly that.

Kiratsukai, in response to your question. Quite frankly there is little that you can do to completely ward off predators of this nature. Yes, you can and should be vigilant, travel in groups and be aware of your surroundings, but when it comes down to it, there are creeps out there that will still try to cop a feel. As chauvinistic as it sounds, it can be helpful to travel with a male in your group, as these predators are usually lacking in their own sense of masculinity or have a poor self image. Also, while it is arguably true that the pervert in question may deserve a beating for violating you, I would not recommend any retaliation other than reporting it to the proper authorities, whether it be the bouncer at a club, or the Incident Response Team at a convention. I would also say that calling immediate attention to what has taken place is also advisable. While it may feel embarrassing to call attention to the fact that you were just molested, it will immediately draw attention to the offender and in doing so put you back in control of the situation. If you have a camera phone snap a picture of the offender if you can as this will help security keep an eye out for him.

So basically, my suggestions are as follow:
1: Remain cognizant of your surroundings
2: When going out at night, or areas where you are at a higher risk of interacting with strangers, always try to go out with friends - predators are less likely to make a move if you're in a group
3: Call attention to what is happening immediately, take control of the situation
4: Alert authorities/security, and assist them as you can, ideally with a photo of the offender

Stay safe!
A to the O is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2010, 03:35 AM   #5
DaemonForce
Unhealed

Quote:
Originally Posted by A to the O View Post
DaemonForce, seriously? kiratsukai is obviously feeling a tad violated and you're going to call her a "Lucky girl" for being "popular?" I'm kind of surprised you didn't accuse her of dressing too provocatively and in doing so "asking" to be molested... Oh, wait...... You basically did exactly that.
I don't care if it's early morning...Like grandpa would tell you: Don't be stupid, stupid. You know damn well clothes aren't the issue here and that was the very last thing on my mind. Yeah her cosplays are cute but I don't think that's the way she dresses herself. Maybe your brain stopped working in the early morning or you're just being facetious. Maybe it's both. Either way, let me run it through the vice for you.

For argument's sake, lets say she's the most provacatively dressed slutty looking girl on the planet. You know the dangers and the eventual outcome of this. Bad...idea. She's obviously not doing this or this wouldn't be her first time posting about being molested in public by strangers. Shifting gears for a second, lets say she dresses like the common modest girl like I and everyone else here expects. She's well assimilated with her environment. There is no room to argue that, period. I was poking fun at her for simply being who she is. If you don't understand what I'm talking about, stay the **** out of Japan because you're asking for the same trouble for the exact same reasons. You're just as cute as she is anyway. Just so I don't lose anyone on this I'll blurt it out so that it's loud and clear: It's an issue of identity! Look at that face. Look at that adorable little face and tell me that the most formal business wear will shield her from every pervert on the planet. Read the atmosphere before you Godzilla-stomp everything into your arrogant little world and try to understand the behavior of others!
Quote:
Originally Posted by A to the O View Post
1: Remain cognizant of your surroundings
This will forever be the most trying part of being safe. In my environment it's the only one that matters.

I have already stated my advice in this matter but since smiley here seems to have missed the obvious, I'll make myself very painfully clear(you read that? painfully). The fastest and surest way to get a molester to stop groping you is to scream ちかん! at the very top of your lungs. If my emulation is correct, the result would be that EVERYONE will drop what they're doing and immediately focus their eyes on you. This gives you the chance to spot the molester and get anywhere from 10-20 witnesses. Even if this doesn't summon nearby police, one of the witnesses will likely do it for you. This is all assuming your molester has the type of mindset I'm picturing. If all else fails, if the molester doesn't stop, if no one lifts a finger to help you, please feel completely entitled to give the groper the most vicious ****ing beating that you've ever given anyone in your entire life. Thank you.
Aki'11 - 1%
Yaoi'11 - 1%

Dance
Cantarella - 25%
Hare Hare Yukai (Non-Lead) - 35%
DaemonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2010, 06:07 PM   #6
Kildread
I can fix it!

I'm kinda surprised you managed to work in Japan for years before it happened at all.

My sister has been only teaching over there for around 5 months and that's already happened. Also, one of the kids at one her school actually gave her shoulder massages without saying a word (wtf).

If you actually want to *catch* those folks, especially in crowded places, when you feel 'wandering hands', make a grab at them immediately and say something --- preferably louder than you normally would.

It's bound to attract the attention of anyone around you, including your friends (I assume you're normally with someone).

Trying to look at the source or anything beforehand gives them enough time to make an escape.

As for preventing that from happening altogether, A to the O gave the basics.

(Addendum : DaemonForce's being a creep again.)
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote