Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Unread 12-30-2010, 09:00 AM   #16
SecretSoliloquy
can'tfindlinktodeletepro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MermaidRizu View Post
SecretSoliloquy: !?!?! I love Pippin! D: May I ask why you had a bad experience with it?
It's a fun show to watch, if a little campy, but musical theater just is not my thing. My acting style is far more suited to dramas and Shakespearean tragedies. In 'Pippin', my one and only direction was constantly 'smile bigger', and just to do everything 'bigger'. Musical theater is play-acting, and I prefer realism.
SecretSoliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-30-2010, 01:19 PM   #17
Yazoo_the_Kazoo
Allons-y!

Theater is my major as well, and I have always been a Shakespeare nerd.
Okay, a HUGE Shakespeare nerd. Like, I quote King Lear at the dinner table and read Othello in fifth grade Shakespeare nerd.
I started acting when I was five, in my community theater. I was a teddy bear in Raggedy Ann and Andy. I haven't looked back since.
And one way that it's DEFINITELY helpful for cosplay, I came from a high school theater department that prided itself in the fact that it made all of it's own costumes. I actually had four years of costume design classes in high school, and it helps big time.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space...I'm a LOONY for God's sake!"

-tumblr-
-DeviantART-
Yazoo_the_Kazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2011, 09:05 PM   #18
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

I was active in theatre in high school which was fun but I haven't had much chance to be involved since I graduated. I was in all 8 plays during high school so there's a picture on me in the auditorium.

Working on: Lolita!Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) - Red Riding Hood!Alois Trancy (Black Butler) -Chinese!Sakura Kinomoto (Card Captor Sakura)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2011, 09:35 PM   #19
QueenoftheCatz

I'm currently in a Theatre Production Class. I'm kinda lucky, cause my school goes all out on electives (especially music) so we have a musical every other year, and two plays without a musical. But the unlucky thing is that there so many people trying out, only upper classmen get parts.

Tokyo Mew Mew: Mew Ichigo
Kingdom Hearts: Nearly Everyone
Ouran High School Host Club: Tamaki
Final Fantasy: Yuffie Kirasagi
Axis Powers Hetalia: Poland
QueenoftheCatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2011, 09:38 PM   #20
SecretSoliloquy
can'tfindlinktodeletepro

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenoftheCatz View Post
But the unlucky thing is that there so many people trying out, only upper classmen get parts.
I don't know any school that doesn't do that. Very unfair. I never bothered doing plays in school because I knew they'd overlook my talent in favor of those that had been there longer. I got lead and supporting roles in plays in the area instead. The high school I was in never did plays I was interested in, anyway. All musical theater. But, then, I guess that's all they do, due to their fear that parents' wouldn't want their kids in substantive productions.
SecretSoliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2011, 10:08 PM   #21
IAmShorty
Proud to be a shorty!

Ive done a little bit of community theater and Im trying to get back into it. Ive done more films than I have theater bur it shall always hold a special place in my heart!
IAmShorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2011, 10:28 PM   #22
Celia Rose
wanna-be abs of steel

I've been involved in community theatre and school plays since I was thirteen years old. I'm absolutely in love with theatre, and I always keep up with the audition schedules in my area. The last play I performed in was The Importance of Being Earnest (designed the program, too~) as Cecily Cardew. Learning how to speak with a proper British accent was super-awesome and fun, no lie.

However, since I've started working full-time, I've been unable to participate as much as I'd like.
Celia Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2011, 06:54 PM   #23
FrauleinNinja

I went to a performing arts high school, and I did the whole audition for every school evar thing. I didn't know if I wanted to pursue musical theatre or "straight" theatre, so I just applied at schools where I'd be considered for both programs. I got in everywhere I applied, which was awesome! I currently go to one of the top (musical) theatre conservatories in the country. I realize all this sounds like bragging but *shrugs* it's true.

Also SecretSoliloquy, I'm so sorry your only musical experience was Pippin, and a bad one at that... Musical theatre is really no different than "regular" theatre, sounds like your director was just stupid. "Smile bigger" is not something a director should EVER say! XD

My high school was very weird, and did mostly shows that would be considered WILDLY INAPPROPRIATE by the average high school's standard. It was a good experience, they really treated us like adults in my time there. But then again, I've met about five other people who had good experiences at their high school as far as acting. It's just high school's nature to be a bad place for taking theatre seriously...
FrauleinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2011, 07:02 PM   #24
Shifty Llama
llama

I used to do a lot of theatre in Highschool and I am just about to graduate with a BFA in theatre for costume studies and as part of the education we have to costume our schools shows so i love being involved in theatre work as well as the cosplay
Shifty Llama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2011, 07:08 PM   #25
MermaidRizu
Mermaid Princess

Just found out that I have an audition for Candide this Wednesday! ^^ I don't know the show that well, but I'll do some serious research, I like what I've seen so far! XD Wish me luck! ^^
MermaidRizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2011, 10:48 PM   #26
IAmShorty
Proud to be a shorty!

Im going to an audition for "fools" later this month! Im really excited Its such a good play.
IAmShorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2011, 11:41 PM   #27
Moon Melody
Dawwwn ! ^__^

OMG MEEE.

I'm in a theater troup for about 12 years. My theater teacher sell like 93% of every theater pieces for teenagers in Quebec city. We start a tourney of show in secondary school and we got contract at like 7 hours of drving, ahah xD And in two years, we will play in a festival in France. OMG. I can't wait <333
Moon Melody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2011, 08:08 AM   #28
QueenoftheCatz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSoliloquy View Post
I don't know any school that doesn't do that. Very unfair. I never bothered doing plays in school because I knew they'd overlook my talent in favor of those that had been there longer. I got lead and supporting roles in plays in the area instead. The high school I was in never did plays I was interested in, anyway. All musical theater. But, then, I guess that's all they do, due to their fear that parents' wouldn't want their kids in substantive productions.
Yeah, It is pretty unfair. I'm going to probably try for plays in this area, since there aren't unfair advantages (usually/hopefully) in community theatre. Our theatre does pretty good stuff. This year we did The Scarlet Pimpernel, but it was edited like heck.

Tokyo Mew Mew: Mew Ichigo
Kingdom Hearts: Nearly Everyone
Ouran High School Host Club: Tamaki
Final Fantasy: Yuffie Kirasagi
Axis Powers Hetalia: Poland
QueenoftheCatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2011, 09:53 PM   #29
Chirudesu
Flash Goddess Chiru

I was in theater in high school, and I wish I was in it sooner than junior year. >: It was fun.
I did like....6-8 plays, a couple were small school-hours productions I hated (and so did the school) but I had fun. My favorite role was my first as Baptista in Taming of the Shrew. We had a 20's version of the play, and if you've seen Chicago, that's what it was like. Thus, giving me my part and theater nickname of Matron Mama Morton. XD

私の世界 夢と恋と不安で出来てる。。。
Chirudesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2011, 10:31 PM   #30
lunaladyoflight
Glitter Addict

I have a BFA in Musical Theater and minored in theater production.
lunaladyoflight is offline   Reply With Quote