Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Unread 06-20-2013, 08:20 AM   #1
StarkRed26

Fantasy Book: Society Divided by Levels?

Might be nice to have something like this on cosplay.com. A sort of 'help me identify this book' kind of thread?

I know I'm in the middle of working on my costume for an upcoming convention and all but this book is driving me crazy trying to remember it and ruining my concentration because it looked so cool and the summary sounded so enticing I fear I'll be forced to go shelf by shelf looking for it to finally put my mind at ease (and with Fantasy/Scifi taking up a good 13-14 bookcases, I'll go bonkers looking through each individual book)

Hopefully someone knows this book and can put my questioning to rest. So here goes:

1- I saw it at Barnes and Noble on the shelf for Fantasy/Scifi new releases maybe a month ago, maybe two?

2- Pretty sure it had a one word title.

3- The image was of a futuristic, grimy city, the perspective was looking UP from the lower level. No distinguishing signs/shops/characters. There was, I remember, one long bridge that ran from one side of the book cover to the other.

4- Read the back summary, well, skimmed it over. Future society of this city is divided up into levels, government living up at the tippy top while thieves, rapists, murderers, and all the other filth live on the lowest level.

(This one I may be mixing up with anothe rback cover I read the same day so I'm about 30% sure this is part of the book cover back I'm attempting to find) 5- I think the main character lives on either the middle level or the lower levels and somehow the main character obtained some kind of information or object that the government had to retrieve by going down to the lower levels. Only they don't know them as well as our main character does.

Please please please can anyone help me find this book?
StarkRed26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-20-2013, 11:45 AM   #2
Royalbakaness
Zombie Unicorn

Could it maybe be Wool by Hugh Howey? http://www.amazon.com/Wool-Hugh-Howe...ool+hugh+howey
Just a guess.
Unread 06-20-2013, 01:58 PM   #3
Tannaliese
Tanna

I am just wanting to be saying thank you to mr starkred26 for your help in my other question with suggestion me books which are liking the other one i liked.
I will be trying to be of help in return to you now.
The choice by ms royalbakaness above me is sounding a lot like what you are asking for but the cover for the book is not as you are saying so i am thinking it is not that book, wool.
i am thinking i may have been seeing this book you are described before of recent. it was a what you are called 'cyber' city on the front. and the looking up from below to this narrow bridge is also sounding the same.
i cannot sadly remember the name, though i am being sure as you that is is only being a one word title. maybe if you are trying to search on this book store's site under there fantasy section and under there recent books under that section you will be finding it?
good luck!
Tannaliese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2013, 09:14 AM   #4
StarkRed26

Thank you Miss Tannaliese for your suggestion. I did take some time yesterday to go over the Barnes and Noble website under the SciFi/Fantasy sections, particularly the Alternate Realities/Dystopian Worlds category. I arranged the list by most recently published as well. And still, no success. The category for Fantasy/Alternate Reality alone has 115 pages and I'm finding that some of the book covers (well, more like 70% of them) online have differing covers then what I've seen in the actual store. So in essence, I could be looking right at the book I'm looking for online but with a different cover, I'll just end up passing it over.
I think I'm gonna end up having to go shelf by shelf to search for this book. But that'll be my 'reward' I guess for finally finishing this costume. Anyway, if I'm meant to read this book, it'll turn up eventually. ^^;
StarkRed26 is offline   Reply With Quote