Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Historical Costuming

Unread 12-30-2010, 03:58 PM   #1
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

Ranks & Awards for WWII Recreations

I'm doing some WWII recreation costumes for Costume-Con and possibly wear at a few anime conventions.

For those who actually do military recreation costumes, what do you do about awards and ranks? CC is pretty picky on accuracy, as far as I can tell. Do you wear the rank insignia and such or go without? Remember, this is WWII we're talking about.

Specifically, the projects are from 1945 - WAC officer uniform and NKVD victory parade uniform.

If you do NOT do this sort of costuming, please DO NOT answer. Your "that's probably offensive" answers are not helpful. I want answers from people who do these costumes and know for sure whether people get offended.
Kawa Kon: Into Darkness in 2014!
supergeekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-30-2010, 06:19 PM   #2
Kelley
Devil of Details

I've talked about this on other forums, and the "answer" is pretty much, "some people will be offended, some won't be".

Some reenactment groups don't allow medals, some encourage them. Civil War groups tend to have no problems since, well, the Civil War was quite a long time ago and it's pretty immediately understood that they're trying to re-create history.

I know that's not very helpful, but it's still a grey area of discussion for groups reenacting WWII and later.

Personally, I would not use real medals, and I might make very slight changes to the replicas I made - that way no one can say I'm wearing something I'm not entitled to or anything like that.
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2010, 09:55 PM   #3
Ironhill

I never had a problem with the display of rank insigna, especially on a historic uniform. Some officer and enlisted rank insigna have been adopted by police, fire, security agencies so it is not uncommon to see them worn. Also, I think service ribbons (Good Conduct, National Defense, European Theater of Operations) shouldn't be a problem. They are accurate for the time period and appropreate. I would stay away from Metals of Valor (DSC, Bronze or Silver Stars, Purple Heart) unless you are recreating a particular persons uniform.
Ironhill is offline   Reply With Quote