Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Unread 01-01-2011, 07:59 PM   #16
MermaidRizu
Mermaid Princess

Axelai: Yeah, I've been using it forever. XD It's fine for smaller projects, but I don't think I'd be able to make it work for bigger fandubs and such. ^^; I'll have to see what I can find~

Thelchterya: You should upload it and then post it here! ^^ I'd love to hear it~
MermaidRizu is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-01-2011, 08:05 PM   #17
acostory
Draw!

I tried to start fandubbing a while back, but I didn't really have a good mastery of my voice. After a year of beginning choir class, and a few weeks of music lessons, I'm actually really good at vocal imitation. I need to try sometime again soon, because it was fun : D
acostory is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2011, 08:20 PM   #18
MermaidRizu
Mermaid Princess

acostory: You definitely should! ^^ If you do, make sure to post it here, I want to hear it~!
Unread 01-01-2011, 08:57 PM   #19
IAmShorty
Proud to be a shorty!

Quote:
Axelai: Hmm, the only problem is that I'll need to get better editing software...Windows Movie Maker has worked for me in the past, but it just doesn't feel very professional, especially when putting lots of voices in...but it's still a project that I would love to do sometime~! ^^
I just recently upgraded from Windows xD Best thing to ever happen to me. Windows didnt like me, I swear. It was EVILLL!
IAmShorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2011, 09:16 PM   #20
Axelai
I'm Awesome

I think theres more to voice acting than just imitating voices. I see a LOT of problems even in professionals: What words you emphasize changes the entire meaning. I can tell when some voice actors read the script once through and don't comprehend the meaning of the line.

Like, my prime example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ5ziNOtoMU

When he says "Are you sure you found it in my pants?" Its so obvious he didn't know what the line was implying. He thought when he read the line "Oh, why would that be in his PANTS?" not thinking of the intended meaning "What was he doing with it in the first place?" He emphasized "pants" rather than "my". Try saying it both ways. The way he says it just sounds awkward with that knowledge. His voice itself works for the character, and he does a (mostly) good job. But that single line kills the entire thing for me.

Also when she says "I've had it up to here with you and your stories." She's emphasizing stories... and just... saying it with poor vocal skills. Like that was her first try and they kept it. She should have shown more emotion, and the word "here" should have been short and sharp. Like your mother would say it when she's pissed.

If none of that makes sense... I'm seriously tempted to redo the entire video's voice acting and send it to the creator, shouting "THIS IS HOW YOU VOICE ACT DAMMIT"

/rant

EDIT: Watching it again... that girl's VA skill suck all around XD

~Cure deviantART Tumblr Fan Page~

Vote for me at the Otaku House costume contest!!
Axelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2011, 09:24 PM   #21
KaleiDoVi
The Candy Earl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelai View Post
I think theres more to voice acting than just imitating voices. I see a LOT of problems even in professionals: What words you emphasize changes the entire meaning. I can tell when some voice actors read the script once through and don't comprehend the meaning of the line.

Like, my prime example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ5ziNOtoMU

When he says "Are you sure you found it in my pants?" Its so obvious he didn't know what the line was implying. He thought when he read the line "Oh, why would that be in his PANTS?" not thinking of the intended meaning "What was he doing with it in the first place?" He emphasized "pants" rather than "my". Try saying it both ways. The way he says it just sounds awkward with that knowledge. His voice itself works for the character, and he does a (mostly) good job. But that single line kills the entire thing for me.

Also when she says "I've had it up to here with you and your stories." She's emphasizing stories... and just... saying it with poor vocal skills. Like that was her first try and they kept it. She should have shown more emotion, and the word "here" should have been short and sharp. Like your mother would say it when she's pissed.

If none of that makes sense... I'm seriously tempted to redo the entire video's voice acting and send it to the creator, shouting "THIS IS HOW YOU VOICE ACT DAMMIT"

/rant

EDIT: Watching it again... that girl's VA skill suck all around XD
*shivers* Bad voice acting is bad.

OMG, where did that come from? o.o I was just messing around, and somehow I had Grell's voice for a second. COME BACK, RANDOM VOICE. TT^TT
I'll try to do something tomorrow, or when school starts and it's just my sister and me at home. She'll be hanging out in her room with her new dog all day anyways. xD I'm probably going to try my hand at Alois, I love getting into the pyschos' heads. x3
Ciel (Episode 3 outfit)- Kuroshitsuji - 20% Done

~Conventions~
Momocon 2011 / In Planning...
Anime Weekend Atlanta 2011 / In Planning...
KaleiDoVi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2011, 09:24 PM   #22
acostory
Draw!

Quote:
Epic rant that EVERY ACTOR/ACTRESS should read
What you said = perfect

A few years ago, my dad went to a speech conference, and the one thing he brought back and told me was one sentence:

"I didn't say she stole the box".

Every word, if emphasized, would make it have a different meaning. It's all about the context, because if you say everything in a monotone voice, or emphasize the wrong word, the audience will miss the meaning.

Even regular actors and actresses fail to understand this. That you do is possibly the start of a great voice acting career.
acostory is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2011, 09:31 PM   #23
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by acostory View Post
What you said = perfect

A few years ago, my dad went to a speech conference, and the one thing he brought back and told me was one sentence:

"I didn't say she stole the box".

Every word, if emphasized, would make it have a different meaning. It's all about the context, because if you say everything in a monotone voice, or emphasize the wrong word, the audience will miss the meaning.

Even regular actors and actresses fail to understand this. That you do is possibly the start of a great voice acting career.
Yeah, thats a good example c: *mentally said it every possible way* XD

Yeah, it pains me because Kyle Hebert, while a good friend of mine with a great voice, has a tendency to not remember this. I can tell when he comprehends the lines, and when he's reading them. Compare Episode 1 (reading lines) of Gurren Lagann to episode 3 (comprehending lines). You can easily tell the difference.

I hate it when i can tell a VA is reading the lines and not thinking about them. Thats what makes me dislike so many dubs.

And why i love Hetalia's dub. While the Hetalia dub admittedly has stupid accents and screws up the plot epically... each main VA is writing their own lines half the time, so the meaning is clear. Just listen to how they say each line. Even the rushed ones are really well done. I suggest watching Episode 2 of the Hetalia dub. You can see in the main, rushed scene of Italy in the box and Germany all "WTF" about it, it sounds legitimately like they're ACTUALLY speaking in the situation. Well, other than Germany's first outburst of "NEIN", because it comes in slightly early. But other than that, it sounds GREAT for emphasis.

(Hetalia Episode 2: http://www4.funimation.com/video/?page=video&v=5844 )

So thats why when i say i think i'm talented in voice acting... is my ability to change my voice (Ahaha how much i enjoy doing Mickey Mouse's voice and scaring people), and the fact i always read the lines super a lot before saying them, since i want the meaning to be 100% clear.

Unread 01-01-2011, 09:36 PM   #24
KaleiDoVi
The Candy Earl

Quote:
Yeah, thats a good example c: *mentally said it every possible way* XD

Yeah, it pains me because Kyle Hebert, while a good friend of mine with a great voice, has a tendency to not remember this. I can tell when he comprehends the lines, and when he's reading them. Compare Episode 1 (reading lines) of Gurren Lagann to episode 3 (comprehending lines). You can easily tell the difference.

I hate it when i can tell a VA is reading the lines and not thinking about them. Thats what makes me dislike so many dubs.

And why i love Hetalia's dub. While the Hetalia dub admittedly has stupid accents and screws up the plot epically... each main VA is writing their own lines half the time, so the meaning is clear. Just listen to how they say each line. Even the rushed ones are really well done. I suggest watching Episode 2 of the Hetalia dub. You can see in the main, rushed scene of Italy in the box and Germany all "WTF" about it, it sounds legitimately like they're ACTUALLY speaking in the situation. Well, other than Germany's first outburst of "NEIN", because it comes in slightly early. But other than that, it sounds GREAT for emphasis.

(Hetalia Episode 2: http://www4.funimation.com/video/?page=video&v=5844 )

So thats why when i say i think i'm talented in voice acting... is my ability to change my voice (Ahaha how much i enjoy doing Mickey Mouse's voice and scaring people), and the fact i always read the lines super a lot before saying them, since i want the meaning to be 100% clear.
Must hear Mickey Mouse voice.

And that's why my first attempts at dubbing will never reach another person's ears. x.x They were crap and I was nervous and just reading the lines. That's generally why I want to go with more outrageous characters: The more out there and unlike myself they are, the easier it is for me to add personality into the words. I'm so weird when it comes to acting. xD

~Conventions~
Unread 01-01-2011, 09:37 PM   #25
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleiDoVi View Post
Must hear Mickey Mouse voice.

And that's why my first attempts at dubbing will never reach another person's ears. x.x They were crap and I was nervous and just reading the lines. That's generally why I want to go with more outrageous characters: The more out there and unlike myself they are, the easier it is for me to add personality into the words. I'm so weird when it comes to acting. xD
I'll record it sometime and post it XD;; I used to have a whole skit i'd do on my own, voicing Micky talking about cheating on Minny, and Minny cheating on him with Daisy... LOL...

I like doing calmer characters more, actually. Since i can make the emotion come out without it being boring c:

Unread 01-01-2011, 09:41 PM   #26
MermaidRizu
Mermaid Princess

You have a very good point, Axelai. ^^ And you're right, that's something that a lot of actors/actresses need to learn. Unfortunately, in the case of voice acting, you're usually by yourself, making it much more difficult to be convincing. Whereas, onstage or in a live-action film, you can play off of other people, making it seem more real. I've had a lot of on-stage experience, and it almost feels like a completely different thing than voice acting. XD I think it takes double the skill to be a good voice actor that it does to be just a good actor. ^^
Unread 01-01-2011, 09:42 PM   #27
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by MermaidRizu View Post
You have a very good point, Axelai. ^^ And you're right, that's something that a lot of actors/actresses need to learn. Unfortunately, in the case of voice acting, you're usually by yourself, making it much more difficult to be convincing. Whereas, onstage or in a live-action film, you can play off of other people, making it seem more real. I've had a lot of on-stage experience, and it almost feels like a completely different thing than voice acting. XD I think it takes double the skill to be a good voice actor that it does to be just a good actor. ^^
Yeah, i've been on stage a lot too XD But i prefer voice acting, as if i screw up, i can always re record. Can't do that on stage o.o;;

At least if you have a full script, you can visualize how its supposed to be.

Unread 01-01-2011, 09:42 PM   #28
KaleiDoVi
The Candy Earl

Quote:
I'll record it sometime and post it XD;; I used to have a whole skit i'd do on my own, voicing Micky talking about cheating on Minny, and Minny cheating on him with Daisy... LOL...

I like doing calmer characters more, actually. Since i can make the emotion come out without it being boring c:
LOL...XDDD Just curious, who'd Mickey cheat on her with? o.o

I'm the exact same way, except with the psychos. xD And dude, if you knew me in RL, you'd think I was crazy for wanting to voice the characters I do. I'm really quiet and sarcastic a lot of the time, so when I'm comfortable, it's hard for me to act like that, and easier to slip into other personalities.

~Conventions~
Unread 01-01-2011, 09:52 PM   #29
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleiDoVi View Post
LOL...XDDD Just curious, who'd Mickey cheat on her with? o.o
Donald. c:

Unread 01-01-2011, 09:54 PM   #30
MermaidRizu
Mermaid Princess

I've found that there's a good fix for both of them: If you mess up while voice acting, you can re-record it, but if you mess up while acting onstage, then you can use improv to fix your mistake~! ^^ I ADORE improvising! XD Once I was playing Ethel MacCormack in Footloose, and our Ren literally didn't know any of his lines for his scene with me...so, instead of letting his unpreparedness affect my own performance, I ended up improvising that scene with him. It still got the message across, and actually ended up being better than what was in the script! XD

Anyway, back on topic: The great thing about voice acting is that you can re-record your lines over and over again until you've got it perfectly, so that's definitely an advantage. ^^ Plus, there aren't too many times in live acting where you get to have a totally different voice than your own! XP