The Candy Earl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelai View Post
Donald. c:
...Win. c:
Ciel (Episode 3 outfit)- Kuroshitsuji - 20% Done

~Conventions~
Momocon 2011 / In Planning...
Anime Weekend Atlanta 2011 / In Planning...
KaleiDoVi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-02-2011, 12:14 AM   #32
acostory
Draw!

I just made a small test dub. It doesn't have the video to it, but it's from Hetalia World Series episode 39.

Sorry, it's in Japanese. I'll make one in English soon.

Critique? y/n?
acostory is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2011, 12:22 AM   #33
MermaidRizu
Mermaid Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by acostory View Post
I just made a small test dub. It doesn't have the video to it, but it's from Hetalia World Series episode 39.

Sorry, it's in Japanese. I'll make one in English soon.

Critique? y/n?
I think it needs more emotion, try to really feel the words, if that makes any sense. ^^; I'm not sure what's being said, since I'm not fluent in Japanese (yet! XD), but I can tell that it needs more emotion. Take some time to sit down and really think about what you're saying, and I guarantee you'll at least have some improvement. ^^ Think of how you would react to the situation in real life, and go from there. But you have a nice, clear voice, so I think you definitely have potential! Everyone has room for improvement, even the best in the world, so keep practicing! ^^
MermaidRizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2011, 01:43 PM   #34
Brsis
Shitsuji DESU~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelai View Post
I think theres more to voice acting than just imitating voices. I see a LOT of problems even in professionals: What words you emphasize changes the entire meaning. I can tell when some voice actors read the script once through and don't comprehend the meaning of the line.

Like, my prime example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ5ziNOtoMU

When he says "Are you sure you found it in my pants?" Its so obvious he didn't know what the line was implying. He thought when he read the line "Oh, why would that be in his PANTS?" not thinking of the intended meaning "What was he doing with it in the first place?" He emphasized "pants" rather than "my". Try saying it both ways. The way he says it just sounds awkward with that knowledge. His voice itself works for the character, and he does a (mostly) good job. But that single line kills the entire thing for me.

Also when she says "I've had it up to here with you and your stories." She's emphasizing stories... and just... saying it with poor vocal skills. Like that was her first try and they kept it. She should have shown more emotion, and the word "here" should have been short and sharp. Like your mother would say it when she's pissed.

If none of that makes sense... I'm seriously tempted to redo the entire video's voice acting and send it to the creator, shouting "THIS IS HOW YOU VOICE ACT DAMMIT"

/rant

EDIT: Watching it again... that girl's VA skill suck all around XD
Have you read 'Schoolgirl Milky Crisis'? It's an anthology of the writings of Jonathan Clements, who's done virtually every job in the anime industry at some point, including a lot of translating and directing. It sounds like being a voice actor is a pretty rough gig - he wrote an article on one voice actor's ideal day on the job, which was basically that he turns up, gets a cup of coffee, watches a subtitled version of the video with the director, discusses things over lunch with the other voice actors and then goes into the studio and records his lines. It sounds like normally, this doesn't happen and he has to turn up and read his lines more or less cold, trying to lip sync with the video, because the studios don't have enough money to pay the voice actors for a whole day. It's a pretty sad situation.

It's a really interesting book to read if you're interested in the industry at all, anyway ^.^
and if you decode its complicated patterns you inevitably decide you're God,
to the considerable detriment of your social life."
Brsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2011, 02:43 PM   #35
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brsis View Post
Have you read 'Schoolgirl Milky Crisis'? It's an anthology of the writings of Jonathan Clements, who's done virtually every job in the anime industry at some point, including a lot of translating and directing. It sounds like being a voice actor is a pretty rough gig - he wrote an article on one voice actor's ideal day on the job, which was basically that he turns up, gets a cup of coffee, watches a subtitled version of the video with the director, discusses things over lunch with the other voice actors and then goes into the studio and records his lines. It sounds like normally, this doesn't happen and he has to turn up and read his lines more or less cold, trying to lip sync with the video, because the studios don't have enough money to pay the voice actors for a whole day. It's a pretty sad situation.

It's a really interesting book to read if you're interested in the industry at all, anyway ^.^
Oh trust me. I know all about the industry. I'm good friends with Kyle Hebert, as well as casual friends with a number of other Voice Actors. Their job is usually that they get a script of everyone's lines, theirs highlighted, then they watch the clip once through in Japanese, then they say their lines.

Plenty of time, in my opinion, to comprehend the line. And the director is continually listening and giving tips for rerecords. So the director is lacking, too, if the voice actor does a crappy job.

The only time its excusable is if the VA doesn't get everyone's lines, and just their own. I hear this is the common practice in Video Game voice acting. So thats why i don't expect much from those.

~Cure deviantART Tumblr Fan Page~

Vote for me at the Otaku House costume contest!!
Axelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2011, 03:11 PM   #36
acostory
Draw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MermaidRizu View Post
I think it needs more emotion, try to really feel the words, if that makes any sense. ^^; I'm not sure what's being said, since I'm not fluent in Japanese (yet! XD), but I can tell that it needs more emotion. Take some time to sit down and really think about what you're saying, and I guarantee you'll at least have some improvement. ^^ Think of how you would react to the situation in real life, and go from there. But you have a nice, clear voice, so I think you definitely have potential! Everyone has room for improvement, even the best in the world, so keep practicing! ^^
Thanks! :3 I really appreciate the critique!

I did the entire thing in an hour late at night, so I was very rushed. I'm going to go back and re-do this later, try to improve with your suggestions. I'll definitely keep practising, because that really wasn't my best, but it wasn't my worst, either.
acostory is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2011, 04:49 PM   #37
Yukikittie

I've done a tiny bit in the past. I would really love to try again if I just could get better software. :c
Unread 01-02-2011, 04:50 PM   #38
HareyuNanami
Princess of Dreams :3

I am a amature voice actress =D
I have been voice acting since 2006 and I am currently in the works to complete my official demo reel and send it off =D

Here is my youtube!~ Please check it out =D
http://www.youtube.com/user/NyanNyanRanka

Also my official site; which is still in the works xD
http://haleymatthews.webs.com/

I find when you voice act, acting is definitely the most important part, You can change your voice anytime and keep working on it, but acting takes practice and I mean ALOT of practice to be able to get into a good role and stick with the character. The voice is brought over time and practice, joining school plays, taking part in acting classes, vocal lessons, and anything that could help you get into a character is great =D I hope everyone doesn't go into voice acting hoping to get into anime, because thats not the reality of it. All the voice actors you hear in your favourite anime, they are actors who originally were not planning there career this way. Plus, the anime industry is the hardest one to get into, it takes years to finally get recognized by high end companys that would take the time to listen to your demos.

If voice acting is a career that someone (like my self) wants to get into, you have to know you will go through really tough times, trying to find work. Also! Voice acting is not a career you can live off of !~ I am also studying for a Drama major to become a Drama Teacher. So if you do, make sure you have another career path to fall back on, and not just voice acting. I am speaking from my experience and experiences from other voice actors.

Cosplay List!

Convention List
CON-G 2014
Costume Con Toronto 2014
Anime North 2014
FanExpo 2014

My Youtube

Last edited by HareyuNanami : 01-02-2011 at 05:03 PM.
HareyuNanami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2011, 10:30 PM   #39
Moon Melody
Dawwwn ! ^__^

I'm a fandubber
But because I'm french, and I have a accent while speaking in english, it's hard for me to get in fandub, so I've make a forum for french fandubber, but for now, we aren't many T_T

For those who are interested, this is the demo voice of the only role I can get in english fandub :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EN7Z22DA9M

Yeah for pikachu ! xD
Moon Melody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2011, 10:51 PM   #40
IAmShorty
Proud to be a shorty!

Quote:
I'm a fandubber
But because I'm french, and I have a accent while speaking in english, it's hard for me to get in fandub, so I've make a forum for french fandubber, but for now, we aren't many T_T

For those who are interested, this is the demo voice of the only role I can get in english fandub :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EN7Z22DA9M

Yeah for pikachu ! xD
Ack! O_O Overload of Cuteness!!! Love it
IAmShorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2011, 01:49 PM   #41
Moon Melody
Dawwwn ! ^__^

Thanks
I work a lot on my pikachu voice, O_O
Unread 01-03-2011, 02:56 PM   #42
MermaidRizu
Mermaid Princess

Moon Melody: Aww, your Pikachu is adorable~! XD

Oh, and for the record, when I need a cast for fandubs, I love to cast people with accents as the evil villain...not sure why, but accents make villains sound so much cooler~ XD So I'll let you know if any roles come up in the future~ XP

HareyuNanami: I agree, in voice acting as well as many other industries, a lot of times you just have to take what you can get! XD Awesome avatar, by the way~ XP
MermaidRizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2011, 12:43 AM   #43
Moon Melody
Dawwwn ! ^__^

MermaidMizu : Yes, let me know O__O I want to fandub, daaah. And thanks by the way
Unread 01-04-2011, 05:42 AM   #44
Brsis
Shitsuji DESU~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MermaidRizu View Post
Oh, and for the record, when I need a cast for fandubs, I love to cast people with accents as the evil villain...not sure why, but accents make villains sound so much cooler~ XD So I'll let you know if any roles come up in the future~ XP
LOL - and I swear this is the only reason British actors get work in Hollywood

I would love to see a Hetalia fan-dub with A. accurate dialogue and B. People with proper accents instead of faked ones doing the voices. I'd even volunteer to be England but no way my voice is deep enough and my elocution sucks.
and if you decode its complicated patterns you inevitably decide you're God,
to the considerable detriment of your social life."
Brsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2011, 05:45 AM   #45
Fabulousity
Only a little bit crazy

I'm a fandubber!!!!!! I'm MusicFeedsYourSoul on youtube. I've mostly been doing Sailor Moon dubs, but I'm up for anything really!!! I'd love to know what you guys think of me!

http://www.youtube.com/MusicFeedsYourSoul
------------------
Gryffindor and proud!!!
------------------
Fabulousity is offline   Reply With Quote