Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 01-01-2011, 11:46 PM   #1
Ember1412
Proud Memeber of YAI

body paint?

Hi there, I am currently working on my next cosplay - Vriska Serket from Homestuck. And I need a bit of help figuring out what type of body-paint to use. I've never used body paint before and thus have no experience with the stuff.

The skin color I am aiming for is a white-ish grey (http://www.majhost.com/gallery/shado...riskabound.png)

I was looking at latex body paint as I only need it for my face, neck and half way down one arm, but I can't seem to find the color :/
Ember1412 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-02-2011, 01:10 AM   #2
AliceinIvory
Alice Addison

I cosplayed a Noah from DGM that was the exact same shade of your character. It took me a while to find the right thing, too ... If you say just mostly face and a portion of your arm, my first instinct would be to say http://www.stagemakeuponline.com/02-...aints-1oz.html . Its not latex based, but it's a good nice grey color if you just get the "grey". It's not as dark as it looks in the bottle. I'd suggest getting a makeup sponge and pouring out some of the paint on a paper plate or something and just dabbing up a very small amount of it. The thinner you put it on, the lighter it is. But if that scares you about being too dark still, you could always get a smaller bottle of the white, too, and mix in some white if the grey seems too dark for you. This is how it came out on me after a few days of practice: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2716752/

Hope this helps, friend

Momo Con 2012
Dark Mousy, DN Angel
Sherlock Holmes

MTAC 2012
Sherlock Holmes
AliceinIvory is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2011, 01:23 AM   #3
Ember1412
Proud Memeber of YAI

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceinIvory View Post
I cosplayed a Noah from DGM that was the exact same shade of your character. It took me a while to find the right thing, too ... If you say just mostly face and a portion of your arm, my first instinct would be to say http://www.stagemakeuponline.com/02-...aints-1oz.html . Its not latex based, but it's a good nice grey color if you just get the "grey". It's not as dark as it looks in the bottle. I'd suggest getting a makeup sponge and pouring out some of the paint on a paper plate or something and just dabbing up a very small amount of it. The thinner you put it on, the lighter it is. But if that scares you about being too dark still, you could always get a smaller bottle of the white, too, and mix in some white if the grey seems too dark for you. This is how it came out on me after a few days of practice: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2716752/

Hope this helps, friend
It looks like it turned out really well! But is 1oz really enough?
Unread 01-02-2011, 02:08 AM   #4
AliceinIvory
Alice Addison

Ah no i forgot they dont sell as many sizes anymore! You could look on other websites that sell the same Ben Nye products for bigger ones. You COULD buy multiple 1oz ones but i can see why that would be a pain. Good luck though!

Momo Con 2012
Dark Mousy, DN Angel
Sherlock Holmes

MTAC 2012
Sherlock Holmes
Unread 01-02-2011, 02:40 AM   #5
Ember1412
Proud Memeber of YAI

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceinIvory View Post
Ah no i forgot they dont sell as many sizes anymore! You could look on other websites that sell the same Ben Nye products for bigger ones. You COULD buy multiple 1oz ones but i can see why that would be a pain. Good luck though!
Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. Its a bit late, at least here but, Happy new year.

Ah just one other thing though! Do you know how well it does with friction? Will sweat make it rub off alot?

Last edited by Ember1412 : 01-02-2011 at 02:57 AM.
Unread 01-02-2011, 04:08 PM   #6
AliceinIvory
Alice Addison

Well I had a tad bit of trouble with that when i went to a convention but this is where it was REALLY hot to the point of like ... pouring sweat XD but it was only bad enough that we had to stop at least twice within the entire day to reapply to some places that sweated alot. But for the most part it was a good investment. With makeup in general, I'm not sure how well with paint, though, it's good to spray on alot of aerosol hairspray over it to keep it staying on all day, and it'll wear down alot less than usual. I hope this helps!

Momo Con 2012
Dark Mousy, DN Angel
Sherlock Holmes

MTAC 2012
Sherlock Holmes
Unread 01-02-2011, 06:39 PM   #7
astralrayn

I don't know if they make the color you need but according to this wiki you can make your own.
http://fx.wikia.com/wiki/PAX
I used pax paint for halloween one year and fell in love. It has super rich pigment but it feels tacky when you first put it on - it requires powder and a quick blow-dry to really set. But once it is set it will NOT come off without remover.
astralrayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2011, 08:15 PM   #8
Ember1412
Proud Memeber of YAI

Quote:
Originally Posted by astralrayn View Post
I don't know if they make the color you need but according to this wiki you can make your own.
http://fx.wikia.com/wiki/PAX
I used pax paint for halloween one year and fell in love. It has super rich pigment but it feels tacky when you first put it on - it requires powder and a quick blow-dry to really set. But once it is set it will NOT come off without remover.
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!
/breaths

I really appreciate this suggestion and it sounds absolutely perfect for what I am going to need. From a review I just read, a 10oz bottle of Pros-Aide should cover full body. Assuming that I can mix the acrylic paint to the right color this will work wonders for me.
Unread 01-04-2011, 05:54 PM   #9
Geekies
Geekie Stars

Alright Vriska, please do tell me how those ideas turn out, because I'm going to be Terezi but I'm afraid that my method will end up failing, although it works fine for now. I hardly have enough to test the paint on me so I'm hoping like heck that it'll all go well on the actual day that I'm cosplaying Terezi. >.<;;
If mine does go well I'll gladly tell you my way since it's cheap and stuff.
You won't have to wait long since I'll be wearing it officially this weekend. :B

Good luck!~

Cosplay motto:
Fun > Effort > Recognizable > Accuracy > Everything else

If you're not having fun, then why do it, right?

Last edited by Geekies : 01-04-2011 at 05:56 PM. Reason: What the heck? I don't need the paint all over my body. XD
Geekies is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2011, 06:17 PM   #10
Ember1412
Proud Memeber of YAI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekies View Post
Alright Vriska, please do tell me how those ideas turn out, because I'm going to be Terezi but I'm afraid that my method will end up failing, although it works fine for now. I hardly have enough to test the paint on me so I'm hoping like heck that it'll all go well on the actual day that I'm cosplaying Terezi. >.<;;
If mine does go well I'll gladly tell you my way since it's cheap and stuff.
You won't have to wait long since I'll be wearing it officially this weekend. :B

Good luck!~
Thanks very much and Im soo glad to see other homestuck cosplayers. I'd hope to give you results but my cosplay isn't until May 28th. Though I'd have my paint results way before then.

Anyways, good luck!
Unread 01-29-2011, 01:36 AM   #11
Geekies
Geekie Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ember1412 View Post
Thanks very much and Im soo glad to see other homestuck cosplayers. I'd hope to give you results but my cosplay isn't until May 28th. Though I'd have my paint results way before then.

Anyways, good luck!
Glad to see others also~ <3

Right! So my method and results!
In all honesty, I simply bought silver metallic cream makeup, you know, the cheap kind from Costume Castle/Party City. =3=
Then I bought some setting spray/final seal.

Applied the cream, waited, sprayed a couple of coats of setting spray, got some grease metallic body paint for any parts that didn't get on all of the way (and kept it with me at the con) and that's it. o3o

It worked fine and stayed on my skin until I rubbed my face way later in the day. FFFF
Only problem was...besides looking like an idiot and having gray stockings on my arms instead of the paint, the paint was too shiny. I think if I mixed it with white or something then it would have been way better.
DON'T TOUCH YOUR FACE. >:
Cheap, but it works.

Cosplay motto:
Fun > Effort > Recognizable > Accuracy > Everything else

If you're not having fun, then why do it, right?
Geekies is offline   Reply With Quote