Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > New York Comic Con

Unread 10-15-2003, 01:19 PM   #1
echocharlie

BAAF 2004 Dates & Location to be determined...

Hello,

BAAF reps at AnimeNext this year announced that the dates and location for 2004 are officially "to be determined". Previously they had stated on their website that it would be Labor day weekend back in the Mariott Marquis, but I'm not sure that this is the case anymore.
echocharlie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-15-2003, 01:50 PM   #2
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Praise the lord! The man (aka jerkholes at the Mariott) were keepin BaaF down in the MM....granted it was highly convient to get to....maybe they'll have a bigger area for the game room

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2003, 02:25 PM   #3
KaineMaxwell
Don't mess with mutants

I really hope it's a better location too. MM is great and all but that was to much.

Shinigami Photos
KaineMaxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2003, 03:04 PM   #4
The Lord XL
Super Happy Photographer

Cant they have it some place where i dont have to walk up 7 phlights of stairs when they break down --;;
====
RIP - JDM - CB
The Lord XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2003, 09:30 PM   #5
Sorahana
...That was a joke

I doubt that since other places are expensive and I think they have a contract with Mariott til 2005. So we must suffer broken escaltors for 2 more years lol XD.
Panda Punch: Cosplay Photography
Sorahana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2003, 06:43 AM   #6
KaineMaxwell
Don't mess with mutants

If we're lucky the money BAAF brought in for them will help them fix them by next year. lol

Shinigami Photos
Unread 10-19-2003, 05:01 PM   #7
Sorahana
...That was a joke

I think despite that they're having money problems.......
Unread 10-25-2003, 01:57 PM   #8
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Money problems? No way! BaaF attendance nearly doubled since last year without AX attached. This is an industry ran con, (ie CPM, ADV, TokyoPop,) so I doubt it's a money issue....unless ppl are just being cheap

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
Unread 10-27-2003, 08:48 AM   #9
echocharlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwind824
Money problems? No way! BaaF attendance nearly doubled since last year without AX attached. This is an industry ran con, (ie CPM, ADV, TokyoPop,) so I doubt it's a money issue....unless ppl are just being cheap
Yes, BAAF is an industry run for-profit convention, but if you add up all the numbers you can see why they'd be in the hole. Renting space in Times Square is *not* cheap. And neither is flying over 10+ Japanese Guests. Heck the flights alone, assuming first-class, would cost $100K+!

BTW, ADV and Tokyopop were not involved in BAAF this year for political reasons, I suspect. I think the only Anime companies that sponsored the event were CPM & Raijin.
echocharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2003, 11:30 AM   #10
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by echocharlie

BTW, ADV and Tokyopop were not involved in BAAF this year for political reasons, I suspect. I think the only Anime companies that sponsored the event were CPM & Raijin.

I knows, I was just naming companies as example.

Unread 11-02-2003, 01:16 PM   #11
hnt
Rice University 2011!

Hope BAAF doesn't change that much o.o;
hnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2003, 11:57 AM   #12
KaineMaxwell
Don't mess with mutants

Well if next year's is better hopefully they can fix this year's issues.

Shinigami Photos
Unread 11-30-2003, 06:10 PM   #13
Bebop_Faye
"SPOON!" -The Tick

Tokyopop was a main sponsor of this years BAAF... they were posted all over and they were right on your tickets and lanyard that was ginen to you when you signed in. They had plenty of sponsors so flying the guest shouldn't have been the money issue... probably the hotel and being in Times Square in the risky NY.. well no SOOO risky but you get the pick. Although the staff were volunteers there still had to be security guards on duty and BAAF does run all night so the equipment and such costs money too... I''m not an expert bu the companies like Mitshubishi (spelling) Tokyopop, ADV and Rajin can't be lacking in money... with TokyoPop coming out with new Manga every month and all the new anime's that ADV have been dubbing... and cars.. they sell really well. That give away raffle car in the dealer's room was nice. I don' think money was a BIG problem... if you know what I mean.
Bebop_Faye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2003, 09:22 PM   #14
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

I ran into one of the former big wigs at BaaF yesterday at a comic shop. Seems like BaaF 2k4 aint happening unless they find a new sponser ;-;

Unread 12-01-2003, 08:36 PM   #15
Sorahana
...That was a joke

All we can do is hope for a BAAF 04.....cause the way it si now there might not be one.......*sniffle*