Go Back   Cosplay.com > International Forums > Japan

Unread 01-03-2011, 12:39 AM   #1
CelestialShadow

Wonder Festival 2011

For those who are interested, Wonder festival will be happening Febuary 6 in Makuhari Messe (same building as TGS) and cosplayers are welcome to attend. The official site is here: http://jin.jcic.or.jp/en/anime/animenews/2010_11_25/

Just as a brief synopsis of the event though its meant as a showcase and selling market for Garage Kits (the nice sculpted anime models/figures)

As far as I know its only going for one day....

I plan to go and cosplay some sort of Marvel Characters from the Bishoujo figuring series released by Kotobukiya. So far its a toss up between Ms. Marvel and The dark Pheonix (costume color version)

If I find out any more news I will post it here. I you are planning to go as well then please post =)

www.phantomlegacycostumes.com
www.elegantrebecca.etsy.com
CelestialShadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-03-2011, 06:28 AM   #2
mixaka
Granter of wishes

I might be interested in this! Not sure what would be appropriate to wear though. Probably Asuna from Negima. A school girl should work well for a garage kit show, yeah?
mixaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2011, 11:00 PM   #3
kMisuzu
Na Na Nice Boat

Wanfesu is usually a majority of current trends. Things like Touhou, Vocaloid and series like OreImo and Ika Musume will be popular. Of course, there is no shortage of minority and niche to be found.

If you're trying to cosplay something that will be on display somewhere. Check industry sites, like goodsmile company, for what upcoming figures they'll be showcasing or announcing. Also, individual blogs often report, and speculate, on potential releases.

However, I wouldn't restrict myself to these things for cosplay. You couldn't likely find everything available at wanfesu in one visit.
Current Cosplays: Len Kagamine [Love is War, Standard, Matryoshka], Cirno (in prog), Soul (Eater)
kMisuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2011, 04:31 AM   #4
DigiSlug

Wow, just look at the goodsmile website and saw a Micheal Jackson figure they have planned for April. Wish I could dance and had a costume then I'd be so in character XD

*sigh* Why are dark skinned people such a minority? Maybe we'll catch on soon.
Katsucon 2014
Next event:
(Hopefully)
Winter Comiket 2014
Final Fantasy Fan Festival 2014 Tokyo.
DigiSlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2011, 11:14 PM   #5
Tsumanne
History Nerd

I'll be there. I've been to Wonder Festival a few times.
Makuhari Messe Convention Center Guide/Calendar (English)

Wonder Festival Official Site (Japanese Only)

Any form of cosplay is welcome. In fact, Wonder Festival has fewer restrictions than any other major convention in Japan, or the US for that matter. Both prop weapons (I've seen massive ones) as well as real weapons are permitted. Replica guns are also permitted. The theme of Wonder Festival is "Craftsmanship" so cosplay and props fit right in and are highly encouraged. The cosplay area is huge with lots of room so costumes with wings or are otherwise over-sized are perfectly fine.

Event Calendar:
Comic Market 87 - Tokyo, Japan: December
Tsumanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2011, 04:21 AM   #6
Masonkun
Superbadass

i could go but i have absolutely no idea what to wear for a costume or have very many for that matter. I could do zero kiryu again...
Masonkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2011, 06:14 PM   #7
Tsumanne
History Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyWidget View Post
Wow, just look at the goodsmile website and saw a Micheal Jackson figure they have planned for April. Wish I could dance and had a costume then I'd be so in character XD
Actually Michael Jackson cosplay would go over really well in Japan. I saw a Japanese Micheal Jackson cosplayer once and he was very popular. He had the poses too. Was good stuff.

Event Calendar:
Unread 01-07-2011, 07:39 PM   #8
CelestialShadow

well i guess it been decided that I will cosplay as Ms. marvel this year. Which I am happy about becuase its the cheaper of the two costumes to make. I think I will even try to make the fireballs that go around her hands too (if you have never seen the action figure her hands glow with fire/plasma/energy) I just need to figure out how to make it transparent.....Anyone know how to make transparent prop fire balls lol?

Oh yes, we also have two more people coming! If anyone remembers Ruri and her friend from comiket, the guatamalan girls, they are coming too. I passed the information along to them. This is shaping up to be a fun and hopefully hassel free event. I only wish I had time to make a bigger costume since we can do that there lol but alas there is no time and I need to save money for my vacation to the islands in the sun known as the Philippines.

www.phantomlegacycostumes.com
www.elegantrebecca.etsy.com
CelestialShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2011, 08:52 PM   #9
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Re: firehands.

Maybe try acrylic molding? The 100 yen shop locally sells sheets of acrylic plastic and Tokyu Hands sometimes sells the moldable acrylic spheres. It takes some experimenting, but you can use a torch/sautering iron and and a regular gas stovetop to shape, soften and mold plastic into flames. COSMODE had a tutorial on Black Rock Shooter eyeflames about... 3 issues ago? You may be able to find that 2nd hand at a book store. I didn't buy the issue, so I can't scan it for you Looked badass though.

LAYERS Tutorial Translations: here, Blog: here
~ Cosplayer's Archive #67148 ~ Cure #224396 ~ My Marketplace Page ~
kiratsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2011, 09:14 AM   #10
gixxer

ah .. only two days before my flight back to Malaysia .. i can go ! YAY but cant cosplay tho because right now, my armor might be already half way back to Malaysia ... T_T i want to cosplay as Rorschach from Watchmen but currently im a little tight on the budget department.. ahaha ..

anyway, meet u guys there .. i will go as a photographer ... not a good one tho .. hope can exchange cosplay card with the rest of u guys ..

and owh .. if its ok for u guys , i would like to take a group photo of u guys and say anything you wanna say to encourage cosplayers in malaysia and what its like to cosplay in japan , etc ..

Last edited by gixxer : 01-09-2011 at 11:20 AM.
gixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2011, 06:37 PM   #11
Tsumanne
History Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer View Post
i can go ! YAY but cant cosplay tho because right now, my armor might be already half way back to Malaysia...
Ahh, your armor would have been perfect, you can use your gun at Wonder Fes too ><.

I'm sure you'll have fun anyway. Lot's of stuff to look at that doesn't require kanji!
And a group photo sounds good to me.

Event Calendar:
Unread 01-09-2011, 11:08 PM   #12
gixxer

i already sent to my friend right after comiket who supposed to send it but he didnt sent it yet.supposed to sent it via ship last week.

yesterday night, after hearing some horror stories about how they handle stuff, im having second thought. My armor is pretty much fragile and there's my Comiket Winter loot inside of it ... ><"

Last edited by gixxer : 01-09-2011 at 11:12 PM.
Unread 01-14-2011, 04:55 AM   #13
gixxer

i have a question to whoever have cosplayed at WonderFest before. A friend told me that the cosplay area is small and it might be not worth it for me to cosplay there and i better took picture of the halls instead ... is it small ? usually how many cosplayers are there at WonFest ?
Unread 01-14-2011, 06:44 AM   #14
-Edo-

I'll be able to make it, I should be there with Zaku. Lets meet up!
-Edo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2011, 07:17 AM   #15
gixxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Edo- View Post
I'll be able to make it, I should be there with Zaku. Lets meet up!
that statement just changes everything .. another armored comrade ... WOOT !