Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-15-2003, 09:44 PM   #1
Chanté
da bananaz

Confetti dot fabric

What's the best way to sew this fabric? It's ruined three of my machine needles (b/c of the glue under the shiny dots). Is it not meant for the machine? ^^;;;; *completely oblivious*

Sailor-Jupiter.net | Cristina's Tiki Journal | Sailor JAM-boree

University of California, San Francisco School of Medicine
~ Class of 2011!! ~
Chanté is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-15-2003, 10:06 PM   #2
Space Invader
Sparkle Butt

Ugh, I hate this stuff. I avoid is as much as possible, lol. Yeah, it clogs up machine needles 'cause of the nasty glue. The only way I've gotten around this is by hand-sewing it. It takes awhile, but it works.

{ I N L U M I N O }
Space Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2003, 10:31 AM   #3
Lilli
Alabaster Princess

I've had to work with this stuff a lot, and once you get used to it, it's really not that bad. A few recommendations are:

-Confetti Dot fabric comes in 2 sizes, generally. Bigger dots and smaller dots. Get the smaller dots, unless you had your heart set on the bigger dots, because the smaller dots last longer, and aren't as hard on your machine.

-Use a thin, sharp needle. I think one of my first problems working with this stuff was that my needle was too big.

-Use lots of Thread Ease. (Or whatever the stuff is called) It's clear, and comes in a little blue and white bottle. Put a few lines of it on your spool of thread every so often. This stuff is great to keep around period, as it helps no matter what you're sewing. You can also squeeze a bit onto your needle, from time to time.

-If you have a problem with the fabric on bottom "catching" and so when you get to the end of what you're sewing, the fabric on bottom is now an inch or so longer than your top layer of fabric, you should re-adjust the tension on your sewing machine. (That little dial that says "1...2...3...4...5..." etc. I don't mean the overall tension that you gotta go find a screwdriver for. Leave that thing the heck alone.)

._. Just be patient, and take your time with all this. It's more important to take your time, because a poorly-sewn, ill-fitting garment made of confetti-dot fabric is a saaaaaaaaad panda. Ok, maybe not a panda, but you don't want your hard work to go to waste ^^; Take your time, and it'll be ok XD

._. Or switch to holographic coated lycra. LOL
Unread 10-16-2003, 03:56 PM   #4
Chanté
da bananaz

Thanks for your help, you guys!!

Sailor-Jupiter.net | Cristina's Tiki Journal | Sailor JAM-boree

University of California, San Francisco School of Medicine
~ Class of 2011!! ~
Chanté is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2003, 09:25 AM   #5
Romann
Fantastic Explosion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilli
-Use lots of Thread Ease. (Or whatever the stuff is called) It's clear, and comes in a little blue and white bottle. Put a few lines of it on your spool of thread every so often. This stuff is great to keep around period, as it helps no matter what you're sewing. You can also squeeze a bit onto your needle, from time to time.

I think it's called Sewer's Aid ( or Ease) ^^ Great stuff

I'm glad I found this thread. I just bought a whole bunch of remnants of that confetti stuff, and I find it hellish to work with... Maybe because it's my first time.