Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-07-2011, 01:43 PM   #16
Fabulousity
Only a little bit crazy

Tea all around!
------------------
Gryffindor and proud!!!
------------------
Fabulousity is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-07-2011, 01:52 PM   #17
nannyogg
:)

I am out of sane.
nannyogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2011, 02:38 PM   #18
Kildread
I can fix it!

I haven't been diagnosed.

(yet)
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2011, 02:50 PM   #19
glitter bomb
quite zazzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
As for the whole idolization of insanity, I think it is silly. Anyone who's ever been institutionalized or has ever had to deal with a mentally ill friend/family member will tell you the same. It's not all wearing different colored socks and singing nursery rhymes in public.
yeah, I hate to pee on the parade, but I have to agree with this. Like, all of it.

I'm thinking that anyone who glamorizes or minimizes the word "insane" in this particular manner hasn't had the unfortunate experience of dealing with people who are actually clinically insane... or frighteningly violent insane... or malicious and sociopathic insane... or suffering from dangerous, suicidal depression due to genetic chemical imbalance... or merely struggling with things like bi-polar disorder or ADHD. So yeah, it's not all cuteness and excitement.

I'm guessing the thread was meant in a "freaky, quirky, eccentric people unite!" and that's fun. but insane... not so much. language is powerful, folks. choose your words.

me, I'm not insane. I'm artsy, quirky, eccentric, atypical, non-traditional, but also totally normal.
glitter bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2011, 03:10 PM   #20
Kildread
I can fix it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitter bomb View Post
yeah, I hate to pee on the parade, but I have to agree with this. Like, all of it.

I'm thinking that anyone who glamorizes or minimizes the word "insane" in this particular manner hasn't had the unfortunate experience of dealing with people who are actually clinically insane... or frighteningly violent insane... or malicious and sociopathic insane... or suffering from dangerous, suicidal depression due to genetic chemical imbalance... or merely struggling with things like bi-polar disorder or ADHD. So yeah, it's not all cuteness and excitement.

I'm guessing the thread was meant in a "freaky, quirky, eccentric people unite!" and that's fun. but insane... not so much. language is powerful, folks. choose your words.

me, I'm not insane. I'm artsy, quirky, eccentric, atypical, non-traditional, but also totally normal.
I don't mean anything untowards by it, and I agree with the views --- but I really can't help noticing your avatar seems to have 'Lady Insane' tagged on the chest
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2011, 03:38 PM   #21
glitter bomb
quite zazzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kildread View Post
I don't mean anything untowards by it, and I agree with the views --- but I really can't help noticing your avatar seems to have 'Lady Insane' tagged on the chest
LOL. you're right, that does look funny. to clarify, I don't have a problem with saying something like "wow, that test was insane" or similar offhand remarks. and I can give people leeway for creating entertainment persona (like the wrestler in the avatar, or Steve Martin's "I'm a wild and crazy guy" where it's being used as a hyperbolic adjective and the person isn't making a parody of mental illness).

I do have an issue when people try to make mental illness glamorous or cute, or minimize how truly terrifying it can be, by adopting the "oh, I'm actually insane, aren't I just so edgy/adorable" stance. When they think it adds to their street cred somehow, or makes them deep, or they're so desperate to be special in some way -- such as the number of teens and college students who like to proclaim they have ADHD just because they're energetic, or claim they're manic-depressive because they think it makes them sound more artistic.

It's like, um, I've actually met people who were clinically "insane," it's alternately terrifying and painful. Sometimes downright dangerous to be around them. I also have friends that suffer from real conditions like bi-polar, ADHD, suicidal depression. None of them think it makes them quirky and cute, or gives them emo cred, or is a benefit. None of them would chime in on a thread like this and go "oh, me too! aren't those sucky meds great? how about that weight gain? and the inability to maintain relationships? WOOOOO!"

So while I don't think the OP meant anything derogatory, it's kinda weird to see people being like "wooo! I'm insane! yay mental illness!" I'd rather see another word used there that's both more accurate and more descriptive.
glitter bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2011, 04:38 PM   #22
Buckshot Billie
One Shady Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitter bomb View Post
LOL. you're right, that does look funny. to clarify, I don't have a problem with saying something like "wow, that test was insane" or similar offhand remarks. and I can give people leeway for creating entertainment persona (like the wrestler in the avatar, or Steve Martin's "I'm a wild and crazy guy" where it's being used as a hyperbolic adjective and the person isn't making a parody of mental illness).

I do have an issue when people try to make mental illness glamorous or cute, or minimize how truly terrifying it can be, by adopting the "oh, I'm actually insane, aren't I just so edgy/adorable" stance. When they think it adds to their street cred somehow, or makes them deep, or they're so desperate to be special in some way -- such as the number of teens and college students who like to proclaim they have ADHD just because they're energetic, or claim they're manic-depressive because they think it makes them sound more artistic.

It's like, um, I've actually met people who were clinically "insane," it's alternately terrifying and painful. Sometimes downright dangerous to be around them. I also have friends that suffer from real conditions like bi-polar, ADHD, suicidal depression. None of them think it makes them quirky and cute, or gives them emo cred, or is a benefit. None of them would chime in on a thread like this and go "oh, me too! aren't those sucky meds great? how about that weight gain? and the inability to maintain relationships? WOOOOO!"

So while I don't think the OP meant anything derogatory, it's kinda weird to see people being like "wooo! I'm insane! yay mental illness!" I'd rather see another word used there that's both more accurate and more descriptive.
Very well said, yo.
Buckshot Billie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2011, 04:47 PM   #23
ToroSonyCat
Chihiro Fujisaki IRL

At first I thought you were serious when I saw the thread title.. I hate the "OMG I'M SO RANDOM LOLOLOL I MUST BE INSANEEEEEEE" thing, that's not insanity.
Or the ones who pretend to be insane to be 'cool' and 'different'.

Ryuko Matoi - 25%

Future Cosplays (not working on yet):
Catherine, Wednesday Addams, Roxy Lalonde, fem!Spock, Monobear, Touko Fukawa, Toro Gijinka, Neptune, Rika Furude, Mew Ichigo, Chibimoon, Ramona Flowers, Coco Bandicoot, Stardust Witch Meruru, Juliet Starling, Homura Akemi
ToroSonyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2011, 05:12 PM   #24
Clyde_2.0
Wakka Wakka Wakka...

I am a robot, it is technically impossible for my being to be classified as "Insane".
Clyde_2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2011, 05:15 PM   #25
mrmonkey

i don't know if am insane my invisible friend said am not.

Last edited by mrmonkey : 01-07-2011 at 05:16 PM. Reason: for got a word
mrmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2011, 06:04 PM   #26
MermaidRizu
Mermaid Princess

I would definitely call myself quirky and a bit different, but I won't call myself insane as to avoid getting caught in a shitstorm. ^^; Can I still have some tea?

Last edited by MermaidRizu : 01-07-2011 at 06:06 PM.
MermaidRizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2011, 06:52 PM   #27
Shifty Llama
llama

Juts putting this out there That insane means both mentally ill but in technical definition it does also refer to absurd or foolish people. An yes I do agree that the glorification of mental insanity is not something we should be proud of, the scientific and medical world no longer uses the word insane which i think allows it to be used for those of us who see ourselves as quirky.

I am simply mentioning this as i dont wish to offend anyone or convey the idea that i glorify forms of insanity, i just wanted to explain my perspective on the word. I stand by my afore mention term of being a mild mannered excentric...

Also some tea would be delightfull

Last edited by Shifty Llama : 01-07-2011 at 06:57 PM.
Shifty Llama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2011, 07:32 PM   #28
Lilyela
Assassin

Well, I'm not insane, but I'm definitely quirky, freaky and weird. I also tend to be really easy to bribe, and do most things as long as I'm paid (I jumped in the snow in my bikini on NYE for $27)
Lilyela is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2011, 07:42 PM   #29
Kelley
Devil of Details

I'm so boring and normal that I feel I might be the strange one in a time when kids like to pretend they're "insane".

Edit : Also, remember that "insane" isn't actually a diagnosis. It's a legal term and nothing more.

I think kids these days like to play at being "insane" because it's an easy way to be "special" and "different" without having to actually do anything noteworthy or interesting. I don't judge too harshly, it's hard to feel worthwhile in a world with almost 7 billion people - why not try to give yourself an edge by aping a "special" condition that suddenly sets you statistically apart ?

Last edited by Kelley : 01-07-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2011, 08:13 PM   #30
Fabulousity
Only a little bit crazy

Disclaimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty Llama View Post
Juts putting this out there That insane means both mentally ill but in technical definition it does also refer to absurd or foolish people. An yes I do agree that the glorification of mental insanity is not something we should be proud of, the scientific and medical world no longer uses the word insane which i think allows it to be used for those of us who see ourselves as quirky.

I am simply mentioning this as i dont wish to offend anyone or convey the idea that i glorify forms of insanity, i just wanted to explain my perspective on the word. I stand by my afore mention term of being a mild mannered excentric...

Also some tea would be delightfull
THANK YOU!!! Look, this was not meant to offend anybody or get anyone to think that I think being mentally ill is "cool" or "fun". People just use the word "insane" for people that are quirky or eccentric so that was all that I meant by it. I just saw Volnixshin say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volnixshin View Post
There needs to be a thread started by someone else, titled, "Anyone else insane?" I would post there. Constantly.
And I thought "there's a fun idea!" so I started this thread.
------------------
Gryffindor and proud!!!
------------------
Fabulousity is offline   Reply With Quote