Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 01-08-2011, 10:41 PM   #1
CrssaFox
Foxie Lady!

Sewing a ball gown! Ambitious, I know!

Hey all! *waves* I'm new here, but not new to sewing or making costumes!

I have a convention coming up over Memorial Day weekend where the theme is "Dressed to the Nines." I wanted to make a fancy dress (possibly a ball gown?) to wear to the event. I'll have a table to sell things at, and I want to stand out!!

My problem is this. I work mostly in faux fur, where mistakes are VERY easily hidden. I've got a little bit of experience with sewing other things; I've done bags/purses, shirts, and last January I threw together a pirate outfit. The hardest part of the pirate outfit was the skirt... oh, how I hated that skirt!

I'm a "woman of size" (and shape; quite the hourglass, but my thighs are horrible ) so it was a full-length skirt, to the floor. I had THE hardest time hemming it, although I'm sure it didn't help that I used that $3/yard satiny fabric that comes unraveled too easily. I thought the skirt turned out "alright," but I wasn't terribly impressed.

Do any of you guys have suggestions for sewing/hemming a full skirt, or tips for sewing gowns in general? A couple of things have changed for me since my attempt last year: I now am the proud owner of a dress form, and I also now have a serger.
Also, what are some of your favorite fabrics with which to make dresses? I learned my lesson the first time - I ain't going cheap with the fabric I choose for my gown!

Any tips you guys could share with me would be greatly appreciated!