Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Masquerade / Skit Discussion

Unread 10-16-2003, 04:16 PM   #1
Ashurachan
now behind the lens

Masquerade presenters

I would like to know, do American cons have well-known Masquerade presenters - that is, who've been presenting masquerades for a few years in various cons ?

In France, I can think about three :
- Cham, who presented the Cartoonist masquerades for years, and is now presenting the Japan Expo masquerade - always in a costume himself, that is ^^
http://www.ashura.org/conventions/ca...2/athena%2EJPG

- Leo, who presents masquerades at various cons in which his association, Tsubasa, helps with organising various games and contests :
http://www.ashura.org/conventions/ep...s/DSC00049.jpg
(yeah, this Wakka outfit is not complete... but it was incredibly hot that day, and as usual at Epita the masquerade was outside)

- Kara, who's not a cosplayer himself, but he did a good job at presenting and filling the blanks ^^;. He presented the masquerade at Japan Expo before Cham joined in. (no photo here, sorry)
Ashurachan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-14-2003, 05:39 PM   #2
Kia
Queen of Tacky Costumes

In the Greater Toronto Area the big MC is Gordon Rose (he sometimes wanders through the Anime North board as Ninja Sensei). I can't even remember all the convention masqs he's been the MC for at one time or another, but he's really great. Sadly he just retired this year so we'll have to find ourselves a new MC for...well... EVERYTHING! ^_^
As for the states... I wouldn't know...

[Kia's 2012 Convention Season:]
[Con-G - Ad Astra 31 - Anime North - Polaris 26]

[Planned costumes for 2012:]
[NEW: Suki/Lily/Mime]
[TO FINISH: Sakura/Ayumi
]
Kia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2003, 11:24 PM   #3
Maki Yu.Ki.Ame
teMaki~ teMaki~

*cheers for Gordon* I know! I hope he will come back next yr~~~~~~~~ *crys*

Maki desu!!
Yu.Ki.Ame ~SnowDrops~
http://www.yukiame.com/

Please do come by our website and join our forum ^^
Maki Yu.Ki.Ame is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2003, 12:27 AM   #4
archangeli
~ Ich bin da. ~

Augh.... I only saw Gord do the AN03 Masquerade and I thought he was god-awful!

I know he's friends with the staff and he's one of those beloved "personalities" but he couldn't even pronounce the names of the animes correctly!

How do you MC if you don't even look at your notes beforehand?

Anyhow, there've been many rants about this before and I don't want to start another one...

I know that Max does the Sakura-Con and Anime Evolution cosplay contests and pretty good (and a nice person to boot! ^_^)
Unread 11-22-2003, 02:01 AM   #5
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangeli
Augh.... I only saw Gord do the AN03 Masquerade and I thought he was god-awful!

I know he's friends with the staff and he's one of those beloved "personalities" but he couldn't even pronounce the names of the animes correctly!

How do you MC if you don't even look at your notes beforehand?

Anyhow, there've been many rants about this before and I don't want to start another one...

I know that Max does the Sakura-Con and Anime Evolution cosplay contests and pretty good (and a nice person to boot! ^_^)

Um, that wasn't Gord at AN03. It was that guy's first year. I remember him distinctly... just because of the way he said "Sakura pink Kitty". XD Gord can pronounce most of the titles and what-not correctly, because he's been doing it for a long time. He was at CNA in August, though, I believe. Gord was the ninja everyone was cheering for all the time when he snuck out from behind the curtain.

As for pronunciation, try reading a handwritten form in the semi-dark. It's not easy. And they do (hosts) try to go thru the entries beforehand, and speak with some people, but with over 100 entries sometimes, and only a few hours, it's hard to get things done properly. Not to mention that some hosts are hosts and not huge anime fans like we are.

I don't know the name of that guy at AN03, though. It's probably somewhere on their webpage.
Eleryth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2003, 03:29 PM   #6
Kia
Queen of Tacky Costumes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleryth

I don't know the name of that guy at AN03, though. It's probably somewhere on their webpage.
Greg, the AN03 host's name was Greg ^_^
And apparently, even after all the verbal brutality the crowd put him through that night, he still would like to come back and host the AN04 masquerade. If they let him back I wish him luck. ^_^

[Kia's 2012 Convention Season:]
[Con-G - Ad Astra 31 - Anime North - Polaris 26]

[Planned costumes for 2012:]
[NEW: Suki/Lily/Mime]
[TO FINISH: Sakura/Ayumi
]
Kia is offline   Reply With Quote