Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Unread 01-07-2011, 07:23 PM   #1
kiratsukai
culture shocked

How much am I worth on the black market?

I'm losing my job in July and have to move back to the States or find a Japanese nerd to marry for the visa status... I hear the job market it pretty bleak, so I'm entertaining the thought of indentured servitude or perhaps the sale of my nonessential organs (kidney, partial liver, appendix, etc).

Were I to offer these things for sale to the community... would you buy them?
How much would you pay?

Thanks for your time

LAYERS Tutorial Translations: here, Blog: here
~ Cosplayer's Archive #67148 ~ Cure #224396 ~ My Marketplace Page ~
kiratsukai is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-07-2011, 07:31 PM   #2
Kildread
I can fix it!

Would I or a friend in need of a backup organ, I will consider you as a potential donor!

Be aware compatibility tests will need to be made before any sales arrangement or pricing is discussed, would not want to buy goods at premium price with high chances of rejection.

(Seriously though, are your prospects that bad? My sister went in the same program as you with language studies, she's got chances in translation, interpretation --- but she's considering a carreer in an embassy. If you're limited to Japanese/english, it limits your options, but...)

Last edited by Kildread : 01-08-2011 at 11:23 AM. Reason: system = sister. WTF was I thinking???
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2011, 08:49 PM   #3
Xanarcah
=..= rawr?

Indentured servitude has got potential. o: I do need someone to help with washing dishes...

(And maybe job prospects are okay depending on where you're moving back to? My cousin (a Japanese/Korean doublemajor graduate from UW) was being considered for several positions being a liaison between US companies and their branches in Japan. He's got a job now with a company that does language-learning at after-school programs.)
- GMG Erza

Preregistered For
- GeekGirlCon '13
- Aki-Con '13
- Sakura-Con '14
Xanarcah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2011, 11:07 AM   #4
Flora88
Stay gold, Ponyboy.

Not sure. What's your blood type, bb?

"Your ultrasound shanty is shady as hell!" - Lithium Flower

The Winter Soldier (CA:TWS)
Hiram McDaniels and the Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives In Your Home (WTNV)
Sasha and Aleksis Kaidonovsky (Cherno Alpha pilots, Pacific Rim)
Various rockstars
Flora88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2011, 11:27 AM   #5
DaemonForce
Unhealed

I'm quite surprised I didn't jump on this immediately like I normally would. Do not return to the states. The will of the working people is broken and dry. You took more than enough time adjusting to a better social environment. You don't need to throw it away for crap. Serving has several advantages depending on your heart. Your organs on the other hand...They are more valuable functioning healthy at this point. You don't need to introduce an unnecessary risk to your health by parting yourself out right now. Though I might be tempted to buy a kidney if I can use it...
Aki'11 - 1%
Yaoi'11 - 1%

Dance
Cantarella - 25%
Hare Hare Yukai (Non-Lead) - 35%
DaemonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2011, 11:55 AM   #6
Nikomarete
Your argument is invalid.

Wanna do my American Literature homework?~ -waves around a few dollar bills-

Facebook <3

Upcoming Cons
CoreCon, April 15th-17th
Tokyo in Tulsa, July 15th-17th (?)
ValleyCon, October 21-23rd
Current Cosplay Project
Charlotte Baskerville of Pandora Hearts - 20%
Nikomarete is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2011, 02:24 PM   #7
glitter bomb
quite zazzy

ooh! I could totally use some new organs! I'll have my guys call your guys.

Seriously though, yes, the job market sucks massive monkey dung here.
However, you will probably find you have a wealth of skills to offer from having been abroad. You're goal oriented, independent, you can adapt to varying circumstances, you can take culture cues well, you can deal with change well, I assume you can speak more than one language. You'd be surprised at all of the skills and qualities you have amassed that you just can't see right now because they're a part of your everyday life. But when you take a step back and list them out, you'll likely be in a good position employment-wise. And that's not including whatever specific job experience or job skills you may already have.

Some employers value time spent traveling or living in another country. They feel it shows maturity, curiosity, an openness to new ideas. You may even find a company that wants someone familiar with Japanese culture, customs, and/or language.

Take some time to draft up a resume, have a friend or family member who is more objective than you help, and start refreshing contacts in the states now. See if you can set up some conversations or interviews with companies now, for when you return.

Last edited by glitter bomb : 01-08-2011 at 02:26 PM.
glitter bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2011, 02:26 PM   #8
Yukikittie

I would pay millions for your organs, baby. <3

Unread 01-08-2011, 03:48 PM   #9
rubyspitfire
queen of the closet

i have to agree with daemon. if possible, try finding another job there before coming back. jobs are scarce and the economy here is royally screwed

cosplay schedule
SoDak Con!!
Jean Havoc - Fullmetal Alchemist and FMA: Brotherhood
Sanji - One Piece
Catwoman - DC Comics/Gotham Girls (fanart version)

Ruby Spitfire, official D20 Girl
Support a single mom ^.^
rubyspitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2011, 04:01 PM   #10
Aearon

I'd definitely hire you to be an indentured servant. lol
As far as I'm concerned... The job market isn't "that" bad. I live pretty comfortably with no assistance with two part-time jobs working less than 40 hours per week. I 'also' live in one of the states with the highest unemployment rates, if not the highest. I believe the county I'm in atm is sitting at like 14% unemployment. @.@
(Of course that's not to say that I won't be finishing my Bachelor's and getting a much higher paying job... But, unlike a lot of graduates, I'd be able to get a high paying job easily after the degree is finished.)
Aearon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2011, 04:05 PM   #11
rubyspitfire
queen of the closet

i'm biased. the gas station who was hiring a brand new crew didn't even call me back. around here you have to have a college education to run a register or flip burgers, or go to a factory or warehouse (which i am physically unable to do)

cosplay schedule
SoDak Con!!
Jean Havoc - Fullmetal Alchemist and FMA: Brotherhood
Sanji - One Piece
Catwoman - DC Comics/Gotham Girls (fanart version)

Ruby Spitfire, official D20 Girl
Support a single mom ^.^
rubyspitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2011, 04:26 PM   #12
glitter bomb
quite zazzy

@Aearon, It's great to hear that you've been fortunate in that regard. Unfortunately, part of the problem is that there seem to be only part-time jobs available, unless you're in a very specialized field. You may be too young to be affected by this (because college students are the one group still in demand, for reasons I'll explain below) or to realize the implications, but it's a serious problem.

First, it means that more employers are trying to cut costs at employees' expense -- offering less than 40hrs for the sole purpose of screwing employees out of health benefits and vacation time. Which means even when people have jobs, they aren't getting the same level of support or income as before.

Second, it means that the average adult can't support him/herself, let alone a family, on a single part time job. So even those who are technically employed are still unable to make ends meet.

Third, this means that adults are having to look for 2-3 part-time jobs just to total their previous full-time income -- which means working a lot more hours and juggling numerous jobs and numerous bosses (who don't want to be sharing). So they're working over 40hours, but WITHOUT any benefits or vacation pay because part-time work very very rarely offers this. This has a VERY significant impact.

Fourth, finding just one job is hard, having to then get hired for a second or third is even harder. It may take months or even years for an adult to find that second part-time job, and in the meantime they can't support themselves or their family.

Those who are lucky enough to land a single full time job find that they have to jump through hoop after hoop to keep it: excessive overtime with no pay (10-20 hours unpaid a week), taking twice the responsibility without an increase in pay, significant cutbacks in benefits, no sick days, rigid demands with no recourse for false reports, etc. And all of that means that employees are stuck in abusive or merely unfavorable situations because they literally can't afford to speak up or risk losing the job.

Finally, many many trained adults who have been working in their industry for years are being laid off and also passed over, in favor of college students or recent grads that employers can use and abuse. Employers can pay students are recent grads far less than experienced workers, so employers are willing to have the work done at a lesser quality in order to save bucks. It's also far easier to manipulate, control, and intimidate students/grads because they're so eager for a job and they lack the experience to know better (or to know how to protect themselves). So basically no one wins: students/grads get abused in a churn-and-burn fashion, experienced workers get pushed out of their field and have to compete for minimum-wage jobs with thousands of others.

All of which is not to say you don't deserve your jobs or that you don't work hard for them, but that your experience is not the norm (from reports and articles I've read, and from speaking with people locally). So if the OP is looking for work, she shouldn't expect to have the same results. Unemployment stats are tricky, they don't tell the whole story. And there are many sketchy techniques employers use to take advantage of a desperate workforce, whether out of necessity or greed.

Last edited by glitter bomb : 01-08-2011 at 04:28 PM.
glitter bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2011, 11:00 PM   #13
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

Get your ass over to Korea (specifically, Seoul or Busan). Plenty of work there of the sort that you're obviously good at. You'll easily be able to afford to support yourself and enjoy your tourist visa until you can land a position, and there are several established schools that work exclusively with teachers who are already inside the country. These schools tend to have even better pay and have more gracious leave policies.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2011, 07:54 PM   #14
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

I work for the government. Best freaking job move I ever made.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2011, 09:28 PM   #15
Flora88
Stay gold, Ponyboy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
I work for the government. Best freaking job move I ever made.
Work for the government eh? I'm intrigued. Doing what with what branch of the government?

"Your ultrasound shanty is shady as hell!" - Lithium Flower

The Winter Soldier (CA:TWS)
Hiram McDaniels and the Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives In Your Home (WTNV)
Sasha and Aleksis Kaidonovsky (Cherno Alpha pilots, Pacific Rim)
Various rockstars
Flora88 is offline   Reply With Quote