Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Unread 09-27-2014, 02:43 AM   #1
Headphone Actor
Local KagePro loser
Depression cures?

I haven't been able to afford my depression meds lately, and I'm finding my usual "fixes" not as effective anymore. I just sleep all day and lose all motivation, and don't want to talk to anyone or leave the house. So what do YOU do when you get depressed?
By getting just a little closer to you, I think I could find it out
Just so these days would never ever have to end without a doubt
Ringing in a tone that slowly died and never will restart again
And all at once, I know everything is gone
Headphone Actor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2014, 04:06 AM   #2
Scene Shop Princess
Don't try to ignore or drown out the emotions. It will leave you feeling even worse.
Hanging out with a good friend who can help keep you in check is a good idea
Also when I get depressed I dive head first in a project
Why do I even bother to keep track of these things? they are constantly changing
Loveable-Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2014, 05:56 AM   #3
<("<) (>")>
I've had to deal with depression too recently and I've found that listening to music while keeping my mind occupied, usually working on cosplay, definitely helps.
-------Current Cosplay's-------
Android #17 - DBZ
SSJ Future Trunks - DBZ
Cyborg Smoke - Mortal Kombat Annihilation
Boom - Borderlands 2
-------Attending This Year-------
ALA, LBCE, Wondercon, Fanime, Anime Expo, Anime California, Comikaze, PMX.
StilesJman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2014, 09:44 AM   #4
When I get depressed, I make sure to get a lot of exercise (the endorphin-causing cardio, in particular) and I try to stay on a campaign to help others.

When I get depressed, the inner feeling is that I am "a waste of space" and that my life has no meaning/purpose/value, so I get busy at that point making it more useful by helping others.

It's not enough to "cure" depression, but it gives me peace in my heart while I go through it.
lemuries is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2014, 10:26 AM   #5
I've been battling depression all my life. I took meds for a long time but have not taken them in over 10 years, but here is what I did and I hope it helps you.

-Find group activities that you enjoy doing

-When someone compliments you, write it down. When you are feeling down, you can look at it.

-Cut people out of your life who bring you down(hopefully you do not have this problem, but I know I did way back when)

I hope all this helps.
SilverStarboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2014, 09:00 AM   #6
Ninja for Hire
Have a go-to person that you can talk to when you're feeling down. Even if you don't feel like talking to them, having their support can be helpful.

The past few weeks I've been hit with depression and anxiety, and I had my first ever anxiety attack. I didn't want to tell anyone, but I had one friend that I told, and she called me immediately to talk and console me until everything subsided. I'm the kind of person who often doesn't feel like being around anyone, so sometimes it's hard to reach out to someone, but once I do I end up feeling better.

Try going running if you can, or some kind of exercise. A breath of fresh air can help you clear your mind. You can also try reading a book, or listening to music (classical helps me calm down as well as focus on things when I need to).
I used to live in Japan. Questions? Message me on my Facebook page

Current/Planned Project(s):
Jinguji Ren (UtaPri:Repeat)/fem! Rei (Free!)/Aijima Cecil (UtaPri)

Upcoming Events:

sooyong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2014, 09:30 PM   #7
That guy
Make sure you eat. When I fell back into depression, I stopped eating unless someone was there to force me. Even if it's only tea and toast, keep on top of it. Try to stay away from heavy foods, go for fruits or cheese or whatever you can get your hands on. Keep trailmix or something similar near your sit spot, and some water with a straw.

Play music. Not loud music, just something to break the silence.

If any of that applies to you, anyway. Depression affects everyone differently. But you know what cure I've found? Patting furry animals. Cat, dog, chinchilla, whatever you've got. I don't know why, but petting my dog always gives me energy and makes me feel better. Not great, but less blah.

facebook page // nh/mass cosplay events
Next event: ???

Gig (Soul Nomad) - Constructing
Vaati (LoZ Minish Cap) - Planning
Soren (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) - Constructing
ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2014, 02:36 AM   #8
Profound Historical Youth
I get depressed and anxious in situations that I have no control over. So I find a healthy way of being able to control something.
Whether it's taking care of a plant, (I don't recommend getting an animal unless you know 110% for sure that you will still be able to meet all of its needs on even your crappiest days, animal neglect is not cool) making something, playing a video game, or just going out somewhere, I have control over what's going on, and I have choices.
I don't normally talk to my friends when I'm depressed/anxious, because sometimes I'll try to control them to feel better, and I know that's not right. I talk to my mom because she can relate, (she has depression too) and because I don't try to control her.

I will say that there is no cure for depression. There is only treatment. You'll still have depressive thoughts in the future, no matter how much therapy you see, what techniques you use, or how many meds you take. However, they will be fewer, more far between, and you'll be able to shove those thoughts out of your head almost as quickly as they came, they won't affect your day nearly as much, if at all.
Currently working on:

Vault Boy -- Fallout
Benny Gecko: Fallout: New Vegas
Momoko Koigakubo: Ghost Stories (Dub)
Daenerys Targaryen (Dothraki outfit): GoT
Cameron Van Buren -- MPGiS
Malory Archer: Archer
Deandra: MPGiS
Kamala Khan: Ms. Marvel
Vader Eloha/The Queen: OFF
Princess Suwa: Mascot of the city of Suwa, Japan

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/annikaskisses
Sewing blog: http://www.annikakisskisses.blogspot.com
Magyarita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2014, 04:46 PM   #9
Chocolate Guru
Originally Posted by EvilLittleKiss View Post
I get depressed and anxious in situations that I have no control over. So I find a healthy way of being able to control something.
Whether it's taking care of a plant, (I don't recommend getting an animal unless you know 110% for sure that you will still be able to meet all of its needs on even your crappiest days, animal neglect is not cool) making something, playing a video game, or just going out somewhere,
This is! She is definietly right. I think being busy with something will make you more happy.

Also, I was stuggling with and anxiety disorder. I used to take pills but people around me recommended me to start doing sports. Because when you start exercising your body will produce "Endorphin"

Exercise decreases the stress hormones such as cortisol and increases endorphins. Endorphins are the body’s natural feel good chemicals, and when they are released through exercise, your mood is boosted naturally. As well endorphins, exercise also releases adrenaline, serotonin, and dopamine. These chemicals work together to make you feel good.

Sauce: http://www.naturaltherapypages.com.a...#ixzz3FOpSM0tr
Then I've started swimming and aikido. Most of my worries are gone. I am still having anxiety attacks but not line in the past. [Maybe because I've stopped practicing aikido and etc.]

Other than sports, a professor at my school's been saying this for a few week now "Take Laurel Seeds a day (like a pill) and you will be healthy before you know it."
I'm thinking of doing what he says. You can google for further information about this.
zura is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2015, 04:01 AM   #10
Ruby Eyes
There are also certain super foods out there that are good for depression as well. I make sure to get lots of D vitamins, so veggies and fruits are great. Its cliche,but eating right really does make a big difference in your mood. And once you get on a health kick all sorts of good things fall into place, weight loss, skin improvement, you sleep better, all around you WILL start to fight back against depression. (I've done this,and it works for me)
Aundreiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2015, 04:19 PM   #11
mango puff
For short-term depression, what helps me is to keep distracted and busy with projects. Even if you don't really feel like doing anything it'll keep your mind occupied. And also, make sure you drink enough water and eat enough salad and good stuff, and less trash food as I found out that raises blood pressure and makes me feel a bit uneasy at night.

In addition to medicine, finding the spiritual side of life helped me enormously as well. And there's little activities you can do that raise the mood and energy levels. Meditation is very good for you. Also, when you learn to see the positive side of things and focus on them instead of the negative, you will feel much better overall.

Hope you find something that works for you. Best wishes.
Next costumes:
Journey Traveler
Princess Peach
Dream Emulator

Support me
My Instagram
Viveeh is offline   Reply With Quote