Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Unread 06-14-2016, 01:18 AM   #1
VicViper_Mk2

itasha in North America

Itasha seems pretty popular in Japan. It was only after a bit of research did I know that its essentially giant bumper stickers for cars. I wanted to give it a try, doesn't have to be characters from anime/game , could also be realistic characters of original design.

But right now my biggest worries is Vandalism. In japan itasha is so common their society already accepts it, where as over here it will look quite foreign and out of place. Its like you're sending out a statement: look at my car, its flashier than yours. There is bound to be people that won't understand, jealous, or hateful, which is almost an excuse to ruin your hard work.

So what do you think? Should I give it a try? and if so what can I do to deter vandalism? Thank you.

http://www.clublexus.com/Itasha-09-lexus.jpg
VicViper_Mk2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-14-2016, 01:58 AM   #2
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

That's pretty crazy decor, alright. Also, I don't think you need to worry THAT much about vandalism. People will usually just go "Wow, check that out that's neat" or "Wow, that's freaking weird/ugly" and be on their way. As for vandals, well, they don't usually give a flying crap WHAT they vandalize, they just want to vandalize it.
Storytime; My dad used to have a beautiful restored 70's Buick, and he spent thousands on a custom paint job that was a showroom-quality sparkling red that he waxed constantly (had some fantastical name like "Maple fire autumn mist" or whatnot). It was a beautiful car but not any flashier than any other nice car. ...know what happened to it? The paint job got keyed by a bunch of stupid kids while it sat in the driveway. And then they keyed the car right alongside it- my Mom's plain brown ugly-as-shit malibu (this was the early 90's and she had one of the much uglier later models, so it was no classic car type at that time). They just wanted to wreck the cars up, who cared how nice they were. It happened at night so they probably couldn't even see how nice the Buick was.

And on the flip side, Dad has a total beater of a car right now, an ancient toyota corolla from 1981. It's HIDEOUS (it's nickname is the Millenium Falcon if you need an idea), its grey paint is coming off in chunks, it's barely in running condition and I don't know why he still owns it because it's no longer worth constantly fixing. And guess what? It too, got broken into and vandalized once (also, he doesn't live in a good neighborhood, if that much were obvious. But when the Buick was keyed? It was in white picket fence suburbia). No aesthetics whatsoever to WANT to ugly up on an already-ugly car, and well, apparently they didn't care anyway. And yet the shiny new car his neighbour had a few feet away, was left alone.
So just use a car alarm of some kind, or even a fake car alarm if you can't/won't use a real one (stick a slow-blinking blue or red LED light near your rear view mirror and an alarm company sticker in a window, that'll fool most people), don't take your car out to really unsavoury places if you need to leave it unattended, there's 90% of the possibility gone. And if it DOES get damaged, it probably ISN'T because it looked more distinctive than all the other cars, it's because stupid dumbasses like to wreck shit and they don't care what.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2016, 04:23 PM   #3
Dictamnus Albus
visionary

itd be nice to wrap a car like that bit much for my taste
but im sick of seeing the same old ugly cookie cutter cars all the time

as for vandals, mostly its random
rarely you get the one asshat that is just jealous and decides to target something

otherwise only targeted vandalisim is gang taging which generally has rules and standards

if you dont have a garage park the car furthest from the public walk
closest to your home and have a security light close by
normaly a random actor wont go to the back of your driveway next to your house
under a motion sensitive light to vandal your stuff

if you want, you can fake a "blue light" car alarm pretty easy too
you just need to have a blue led on a triangle or stem that flashes every 3-5 seconds
in your front windshield
Dictamnus Albus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2016, 07:53 PM   #4
Mangochutney
probably a frackpants

The only things like that I've ever seen are full-body advertisements, for which the owner of the car is paid. It's tacky as hell. It also attracts attention of a spiteful sort, because it's an unavoidable ad and people hate that. Your car might be mistaken for one of those.

Is there anything you're SO in love with that it's worth the risk and expense? You gain nothing from doing this to your car. You don't even gain fan-cred or bragging rights, since to most people it'll look like a tacky ad. Do you really want to do this?

...really?
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Your Mother [Debbie Does Dallas XXIII] (8%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2016, 10:32 PM   #5
StarsOfCassiopeia
Sparkle & Shine!

Honestly, from what I've seen in Japan living here thus far, it's not that popular. You get the occasional car, true, but like Mango said it's mostly advertising/promotional.
  • Misc. Revamps (Various): 0% (Planning) Otakon 2016
  • Ariel Sail Dress (Disney's Little Mermaid): ??% (Patterning) Summer 2016
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook // Instagram // YouTube
StarsOfCassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote