Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Unread 04-22-2015, 06:49 PM   #1
alienhelix

Alternative Fashion Styles for Black People?

So this has been bothering me a bit. Aside from the mainstream average clothing and urban (aka "ghetto" fashion), there aren't that many alternative fashion styles that fit African Americans well. I know black people can choose to wear whatever styles they want, but that does not mean that it will fit them well. For example, I am black and used to be a goth, but quit because I realized that so much black doesn't do dark skin any favors the way it does white skin.

White people look good as goths, steampunks, etc.

Asian people look good as lolitas, mori girls, etc.

But nothing alternative seems to suit dark skin all that well. I have seen black girls try to do pastel goth and sweet lolita and it just does not look as good, in this case because the dark skin breaks up the pastel color scheme.

Are there any alternative fashions I don't know about that could actually suit black skin and features?
alienhelix is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-22-2015, 07:04 PM   #2
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

Have you tried adapting what you're currently thinking of as goth and steampunk into something that you like better against dark skin? White is a goth color too--think of bone, old paper, sterile tech, and moonlight. Wonderfully gothy things! Consider how dark skin shows off the sparkle of rhinestones and the intricate texture of pale lace so much better than light skin. Light lolita outfits are likewise amazing on a dark base--don't think of it as "breaking up the pastel"! Think of it as accentuating it--uninterrupted pastel is fine, but pastel with a bit of contrast is wonderful.

Steampunk is so wildly varied and so adaptable that I suspect you've mostly been thinking of it as something brown. That's not the case. Any color can be steampunk, literally any, so feel free to incorporate the ones you like to wear into a steampunk design.

Mostly I'm really sorry that it sounds like you're dismissing a lot of options out of hand. I've seen dark-skinned people do all the things you mentioned, and do them with breathtaking style. You can definitely wear them beautifully if you want to.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Your Mother [Debbie Does Dallas XXIII] (8%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2015, 07:55 PM   #3
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I can also suggest the cyber substyles of goth and punk- lots more colors and many of the popular hairstyles work super well with natural braids or dreads.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2015, 10:45 PM   #4
StarsCASSiOPEiA
Crazy name CAPiTALiZATiON

^ Agreeing completely with the two posters above me. It's just a matter of picking colors that compliment your skin tone well, which is definitely doable!

A friend did show me the "Wafrica" style at one point, which uses more African-style prints/colors/fabrics in with Japanese kimono types. Nearly all of the models I've seen wearing that style have darker skin!
  • Genderbend Makoto (Free! Eternal Summer): 27% (Wig Styling) Colossalcon 2015
  • Emperor Lelouch (Code Geass): 2% (Planning) Spring 2015
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook
StarsCASSiOPEiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2015, 11:32 AM   #5
Akiyhrah
She-Geek extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsCASSiOPEiA View Post
^ Agreeing completely with the two posters above me. It's just a matter of picking colors that compliment your skin tone well, which is definitely doable!

A friend did show me the "Wafrica" style at one point, which uses more African-style prints/colors/fabrics in with Japanese kimono types. Nearly all of the models I've seen wearing that style have darker skin!
OMG that sounds lovely! I would love to see that.

[C|O|S|P|L|A|Y]
My anti-drug.
Akiyhrah is offline   Reply With Quote