Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Unread 07-08-2017, 05:18 PM   #1
Chiagirl
Sheena Cosplayer

Help deciding on a new PC

I think itís about time I started looking for a gaming PC as my laptop has finally gotten to the point where games are lagging even when I play them on minimum settings. For my new PC I would like something where the graphics cards, RAM, etc. are easily replaceable so then I can just update those instead of having to buy a whole new system (main reason why Iím not going for another laptop). For starters I guess I should give you the specs of the laptop Iím currently using. Itís an hp Pavilion dv7-6b78us Entertainment PC.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03091347
http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...ptop-Computer/

Iíd like to get something where Iíd be able to play the more common MMORPGS, MOBAs, etc. on max settings without lag and possibly meet the minimum requirements for VR; though I would be willing to sacrifice the VR capability to keep the price reasonable. I mainly want it for playing MOBAs like Tera, Aion, and Revealtion as well as a few other games like Smite Everything Iíve looked at myself has ended up in the $999 - $1500 range which is more than I wanted to spend (I paid $769 for my laptop 5 years ago for comparison) so Iím wondering if the new specs Iím looking at are overkill for what I want to do.

GRAPHICS CARD: Iím fairly certain this is where my biggest issue is and that just about any dedicated graphics card would be an improvement. Unfortunately this is also where Iím having the hardest time deciding what I need. Iíve just been limiting my searches to GPUs that meet minimum VR requirements as I figure that means they should be good for my basic gaming needs for at least a few years. Unfortunately this also means they are very expensive, and that I could probably get away with less for my current needs. I want to be able to play at constant 60FPS or higher on max settings, Iím just not sure what kind of graphics card I need to do that. For comparison, with my current graphics card Smite plays at anywhere from 25 to 9FPS on minimum settings, usually hovering in the 15-12 range during team fights.

Processor: I currently have an i7 at 2.0 GHz. Iíve been limiting my searches to an i7 with at least 3.0 GHz, though surprisingly I can apparently play VR with only an i5. Iím not exactly sure what the AMD equivalent to intel i5 and i7 is. Do I need an i7 or could I be fine dropping to an i5? How much GHz do I really need? Also Iíve seen many PCs advertise their processor as being overclocked, which I unfortunately canít have as that will get me banned from smite (see link):
http://forums.smitegame.com/showthre...get-you-banned
At least it might end up getting me banned; Iím not tech savvy enough to really understand completely. Help knowing exactly what to avoid there would be appreciated.

RAM: I currently have 6 GB. Based on what research Iíve done most sites have said Iíll want a minimum of 8, preferably 16, and if money isnít an obstacle to go up to 32. Iíve been limiting my searches to PCs with 16 GB RAM or more but want to know if going down to 8 would be terrible or if I could compromise at 12 GB without sacrificing too much.

STORAGE: I currently have 750 GB; most sites have told me Iíll want at least 1TB so Iíve been limiting my searches to PCS with 1 TB or more of storage space. My local disc C says it has a capacity of 681 GB of which Iím using 227 meaning I have 454 GB of free space. Seeing as Iím only currently using a third of my storage space, do I really need a whole TB? I know having better specs would let me be able to play better games that take up more space, but I wonder if they can really take up that much.

I basically want to know the minimum graphics card / processor / RAM / whatever else I need and any recommendations for PCs that meet those requirements in my budget. Or if my budget is too low then how much higher Iíd need to go to get there or how much Iíd have to sacrifice to stay within range. Iím happy to look at anything that meets my requirements in my price range. I know itís cheaper to buy all the parts and put it together myself, but as Iím not tech savvy I doubt my ability to pull it off. And if I canít get it to work I wonít know whether itís due to my error or a faulty part, or even which part in particular is likely to be faulty. And buying something mostly pre made makes fixing it easier as it generally comes with a few years warranty.

Thanks for taking the time to read that wall of text, any help you can give is greatly appreciated.

Conventions attended:
Anime Detour 2012
Geek.kon 2012, 2013 & 2016
Anime Milwaukee 2013
Anime Central 2014
Costume Con 2016
Chiagirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-09-2017, 01:44 PM   #2
Baix
Cos-n00b

I don't want to be "that guy" and say that most pre-builds are bad, but I've seen that most "budget gaming" pre-builds are atrocious.

I'd recommend using a site called PCPartPicker and putting together something yourself, basically fill in the blanks and you've got a working system. It will tell you if there are incompatibilities and such as well. For games, the single most important component is the GPU. Most are advertising as "VR Ready", but that's basically just a marketing buzzword at this point, as most VR Games to run well need something super high-end. That overclocking issue is kind of whack, but at least by putting together the system yourself, you'll know it isn't overclocked. There's a tonne of guides and things online to help you, I can find you one if you'd like.

I'd recommend an AMD Ryzen 5, either a 1500 or the 1500X if you can spare a little more, for the CPU. 4 Cores is all that games can use, it's more about how fast (The GHz) they are.

For the GPU, I'd love to recommend an AMD RX480, but pricey is super-skewed right now because people are using those to mine crypto-currencies like Ethereum. An NVidia GTX 1050 or 1060 should be fine for most of the games you mentioned above.

For Memory, most games are only going to use 8GB, but the advantage is that if you decide you need more later, it's easy to drop another stick in. I wouldn't worry too much about the speed of that, it shouldn't make a huge difference.

Storage wise, it's good to have room to grow, but that said, you can always buy more drives later if you need. An SSD wouldn't be a bad idea, since it will make your PC boot quicker, and give general day-to-day usage a snappier feel.

As for the Power Supply, you only really need a 550 Watt PSU.

My 5 minutes on PCPartPicker had something along these lines:
CPU - Ryzen 5 1500X
Motherboard - MSI B350 Gaming Plus
RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB
GPU - EVGA GTX 1050
Storage - SanDisk SSD Plus 240GB & Seagate Barracuda 1TB
PSU - EVGA G2 550W

This came out to $550 on PCPP, but I didn't save the build. You'd still need accessories (Keyboard, Mouse and Monitor) and a case (Which I didn't include because, well, just pick one you like the look of)

If you intend to play something beyond MOBAs and MMOs, a GTX 1060 might be a better buy, but that's my $0.02

Blood Angel Scout - Warhammer 40k
Remy - Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike

Future Cosplays

Blackbeard - Rainbow Six: Siege
Kragoth - Unreal Tournament '99
Tomas - Realm of the Damned/Sons of Balur
Jim Raynor (Unarmoured) - Starcraft

Dream Cosplays

Blood Angel Sanguinairy Guard - Warhammer 40k
Rin Hojo - Initial D: 5th Stage
Baix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2017, 04:13 PM   #3
Chiagirl
Sheena Cosplayer

Thanks very much for the speedy reply. I've spent some time shopping around based on the info given here in and in other places I've asked, and I think I've decided on what I want to get. I'd just like some final input.

The desktop I've decided to look at is the hp omen available from best buy:

HP - OMEN by HP Desktop - Intel Core i5 - 8GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 - 1TB Hard Drive - Brushed Aluminum

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-omen-...?bof=open box

This is $800 new, or I can get an open box one for $744. The reviews have it as being powerful enough to run most games at max silently (no fan noise) while still being easy to upgrade should I decide I need something more powerful later. It also comes with a mouse and keyboard.

The monitor I'm looking at is BenQ - 24" LED HD Monitor. It has 2 ms response time and 76 Hz refresh rate. It costs $145 normally, and is currently on sale for $119. It also has built in speakers.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/benq-24-...?skuId=2401025

If the sale runs out I'll probably go with an Asus 23 inch monitor (with built in speakers)*2 ms response time and 75 Hz refresh rate for $135, it's just a matter of choosing between LED or LCD (I don't understand the difference).

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-23-...?skuId=3706239

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-23-...?skuId=2354038

All in all I could get them both for under $1,000 and have it ready to go. (I'm not missing anything essential, right?) And I don't have to build it myself. Do these look worth the money I'd be paying for them whilst being good enough to do what I want, or is there some glaring flaw I'm overlooking?

And out of curiosity, if I attempted to sell my old laptop on ebay or craigs list or something, what's a fair asking price for it?

Conventions attended:
Anime Detour 2012
Geek.kon 2012, 2013 & 2016
Anime Milwaukee 2013
Anime Central 2014
Costume Con 2016

Last edited by Chiagirl : 07-20-2017 at 11:28 PM.
Chiagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2017, 05:50 PM   #4
Baix
Cos-n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiagirl View Post

HP - OMEN by HP Desktop - Intel Core i5 - 8GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 - 1TB Hard Drive - Brushed Aluminum

(I'm not missing anything essential, right?) And I don't have to build it myself. Do these look worth the money I'd be paying for them whilst being good enough to do what I want, or is there some glaring flaw I'm overlooking?
Keyboard/Mouse if you don't already have those, and a headset if you use Discord/Skype/Teamspeak and don't have that either.

Quote:

And out of curiosity, if I attempted to sell my old laptop on ebay or craigs list or something, what's a fair asking price for it?
That's a tricky one to answer since I live in Australia and don't know the local market sorry,we don't really have craigslist here. The advice I have here is to look at similar items, see what they sell for and then go for as much as you think you can get away with.

Quote:

The monitor I'm looking at is BenQ - 24" LED HD Monitor. It has 2 ms response time and 76 Hz refresh rate. It costs $145 normally, and is currently on sale for $119. It also has built in speakers.

If the sale runs out I'll probably go with an Asus 23 inch monitor (with built in speakers)*2 ms response time and 75 Hz refresh rate for $135, it's just a matter of choosing between LED or LCD (I don't understand the difference).
If you can get the 24" I think it's definitely worth it. LED/LCD are technically the same, LED monitors still use LCD panels, but use LED backlights. Since the LED backlit ones typically use newer panels, get one of those ones, especially since the price is the same.

1ms/2ms doesn't really matter. It's the time it takes for the screen to change colour from grey to white and then back to grey. It doesn't really matter since it takes 16ms for the screen to show a new image anyway. Some screens may feel a little sluggish, but this is generally caused by added processing, like the kind most TVs do (Which is why they usually include a "Gaming Mode" to turn that stuff of). Reviews would point that out if that were the case.

From personal experience I've found Benq monitors to be slightly better than Asus ones, better on-screen menus, better build quality etc.

Hope it helps

Blood Angel Scout - Warhammer 40k
Remy - Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike

Future Cosplays

Blackbeard - Rainbow Six: Siege
Kragoth - Unreal Tournament '99
Tomas - Realm of the Damned/Sons of Balur
Jim Raynor (Unarmoured) - Starcraft

Dream Cosplays

Blood Angel Sanguinairy Guard - Warhammer 40k
Rin Hojo - Initial D: 5th Stage
Baix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2017, 01:03 AM   #5
DanArt

4Ghz dual or a 2Ghz Quad
32-128GB of ram -???
2X 2017 graphics card with 12GB of memory linked together -500
4TB SSD hard drive.

That will probably set you back a couple of Thousand dollars but you will be rolling
with an up to date setup that allows for gaming for a really really long time...until it conks
out.

Bare in mind that

Ram can go bad.
SSD drives are unrecoverable in many instances
Processors can over heat
Even the graphic cards could fail at any moment
DanArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2017, 07:14 PM   #6
Dictamnus Albus
visionary

oh, this is a month old...

anyway, if your still looking, this is my current rig

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Alt-Bringer/saved/Nx4XLk

i also salvaged the cd drive from my old rig and put it in there
but its old so its not listed

only issues i had was with the vid card, i had RMA'd it 3 times due to fan rattle
Dictamnus Albus is offline   Reply With Quote