Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-04-2014, 12:50 AM   #1
Kanako Maeda
Kanako - Icon of Revenge

Any Martial Artists?

If so, how'd you get interested in it?
What's your style? (If you have one)
Any tips for tricking or good areas to practice tumbling and hard falling?

STILL a Noob crossplayer.
Kanako Maeda is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-04-2014, 01:13 AM   #2
ShadowWarrior
User not found

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanako Maeda View Post
If so, how'd you get interested in it?
What's your style? (If you have one)
Any tips for tricking or good areas to practice tumbling and hard falling?
You can get wrestling mats moderately cheap but otherwise if you're on a tight budget use a two layers of those kids play foam matting alot of people use for their cosplay armors and such. otherwise hardwood and such isn't too bad but carpet burns do hurt for a while.
I have always liked ancient fighting methods So I am taking Hapkido classes and then if I can find any in my area Kenjutsu

Last edited by ShadowWarrior : 12-04-2014 at 01:16 AM.
ShadowWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2014, 01:18 AM   #3
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Been a LONG time, but in college (2008 and 2009) I used to do Shorinji Kan jiujitsu. Officially got my yellow and was nearly ready to get my orange, but then school made me too busy to keep going.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2014, 04:25 AM   #4
StrawberrySiren
Five Feet of POWAH!

I have a purple belt in TKD that I earned in high school and I've done some eskrima as well. I was going to join the TKD club when I got to college but my friend encouraged me to try out fencing and I sort of never looked back. Plus the TKD club was kind of douchey anyway.

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
StrawberrySiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2014, 11:28 AM   #5
Maurishio-kun
You can call me Mau

I did Taekwondo when I was a kid, but I didn't do it for the belts, I did it to learn to defend myself from kids who were bullying me at school.

CURRENT COSPLAYS

Takuto (Full Moon wo Sagashite) 25%
Takato (Digimon Tamers) 100%
Leo (Barra - Homesport Deluxe (Original) 45%
Izumi (Digimon Frontier) 50%

"There are only two things in this world that you can't change: The star we orbit and my opinion about adults"

-Annonymous-
Maurishio-kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2014, 12:24 PM   #6
Baix

I also did Taekwondo as a kid. I had disputes with my instructor - Long story

Turns out I left at a decent time, the club turned to shit after than. Money became the priority, not teaching.

Actually I recently met a guy who was a black belt in our club who was studying in Korea. His first time sparring there he got knocked out in around 15 seconds. See, here, they teach you to attack. Over there, they teach you to defend, try and get a feel for what your opponent is going to do. He attacks, his opponent dodges, kicks him in the face.

Game over

I still love Taekwondo as a fighting style. Was wrapped as shit when Capcom unveiled Juri Han in Super Street Fighter IV, it's pretty much the reason I play her
Baix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2014, 04:43 PM   #7
PrincessKaori87
Caffeine addict

I know kung fu.

Me on Twitter
Me on deviantART
Me on Facebook
PrincessKaori87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2014, 09:18 PM   #8
Noize
One Sky, One Destiny

I did Taekwondo as a kid because it was an option to take as a club back in my elementary school. I'm planning on learning it again when I study at Korea next year.
I know a bit of hapkido and jujutsu as my high school has a self defense class. It was a tough class but I was very happy to be able to learn how to defend myself.

Dream Cosplays
Chrome Dokuro [Katekyo Hitman REBORN!]
Rin [Togainu no Chi]
Lucina [Fire Emblem Awakening]

Noize is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2014, 11:58 PM   #9
boricuaspartan

I took Tang Soo Do when I was really young and I also took Wing Chun and Tae Kwon Do when I was in Highschool. When I was a little older I took some MMA Classes and being in the Army I became Combatives Level 1 certified. So yeah, I've definetly delved into Martial Arts several times in my life. I never stuck with any style for to long though because of other circumstances, but I've always had a deep love and appreciation for Martial Arts because of Bruce Lee and because I used to get picked on a lot when I was younger.

I plan on getting back into it again when I get to my next duty station. My goal is to make black belt and compete in a tournament before I turn 35 (which will be in 6 years, lol.)

YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnu0QkPs6lVP-uALjfwIEGQ
boricuaspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2014, 03:06 PM   #10
DragonClaws
Ruinga

I practice Taekwondo and boxing. I'd gladly pick up others, but the only other place I know of is an Aikido place across the street from my job .. Which runs while I'm at work. I was interested in them because of the fitness and self defense. Then I realized how fun they are, and now I absolutely adore martial arts.
Unread 12-09-2014, 08:31 PM   #11
Ilafatyu
That guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaori87 View Post
I know kung fu.
Kung Fu Five!

I did some northern crane as a kid, but switched to choy lee fut. I'd like to take up judo, I even know a teacher, it's just time and money keeping me back.

As far as tricks and tumbling... Not something I'm interested in. I hurt myself doing some kung fu movie jackie chan type thing when I was a teenager and learned pretty fast.

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Soren (Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn) - 3%
Vaati (LoZ Minish Cap) - 2%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2014, 09:12 PM   #12
Kanako Maeda
Kanako - Icon of Revenge

I got into TKD it with a friend who had a passion for it. I was pretty good at sparring, but had trouble with some of the open Palgae's. I didn't like the rigidity of the stances. I wanted to get into the tumbling, for MMA and Krav Maga(which I don't know if it's registered as a martial art as it is a street form of self-defense? Forgive my trite knowledge of it) Taught myself how to do a flash kick though! Of course I wouldn't dare try it in a sparring match. Waaaaay too many disadvantages. Anyways, I saw some new forms of martial arts, that I'd like to try. I like self defense and speed, so I think Wing Chun might be a good route.

Unread 12-09-2014, 09:37 PM   #13
WonJohnSoup
Cosplay Photographer

I think college clubs are some of the best places to find good instruction and camaraderie, especially for the price (minimum if it's your school and still very cheap if you're from the public).

When you say "tumbling," are you referring to the gymnastics influence tricking scene or were you referring to grappling (because you also mentioned MMA). If you're looking for tricking, a lot of unofficial "teams" often meet up at gymnastic halls during the open hours, so you may find some there. If you meant grappling, I would again look towards the college clubs for judo, jiu-jitsu, much of hapkido or wrestling (if it's just a club, you don't want to be messing with the actual NCAA wrestling guys haha).

I've trained in a lot of styles over the last decade and still learn more all the time. I'm not a cosplayer, I'm a cosplay photographer, but I've found martial arts to be a big credit for my ability to guide my models on posing, due to all the body-awareness training.

Upcoming Conventions:

Anime Los Angeles 2014 Will be holding panels!
"Posing for Cosplay Photography"
Time: Friday, 6:30pm-7:30pm
Room: Workshop - Scottsdale

Live Demonstration of Cosplay Photo Posing Techniques
Time: Saturday, 1:30pm-2:30pm
Room: Workshop - Scottsdale

Contact for limited photoshoot bookings.
WonJohnSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2014, 10:10 PM   #14
Kanako Maeda
Kanako - Icon of Revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonJohnSoup View Post
I think college clubs are some of the best places to find good instruction and camaraderie, especially for the price (minimum if it's your school and still very cheap if you're from the public).

When you say "tumbling," are you referring to the gymnastics influence tricking scene or were you referring to grappling (because you also mentioned MMA). If you're looking for tricking, a lot of unofficial "teams" often meet up at gymnastic halls during the open hours, so you may find some there. If you meant grappling, I would again look towards the college clubs for judo, jiu-jitsu, much of hapkido or wrestling (if it's just a club, you don't want to be messing with the actual NCAA wrestling guys haha).

I've trained in a lot of styles over the last decade and still learn more all the time. I'm not a cosplayer, I'm a cosplay photographer, but I've found martial arts to be a big credit for my ability to guide my models on posing, due to all the body-awareness training.

Ah! Yeah, i meant tumbling in terms of doing gymnastics, and tricking! I'd actually like to cover both ends. Both technical and the stuff for fun. The college unfortunately has been losing money over the years, and thus a lot of the extra curricular activities, had been closed down, so I'm looking for anybody with general interest on here, and other places. I'll check out the jiu-jitsu area of martial arts!
I also checked out your gallery! Wonderful material!

Unread 12-09-2014, 10:34 PM   #15
Ilafatyu
That guy

Weirdly, I think my few years of ballet and gymnastics really helped me out when I first started with kung fu. My sifu used to make fun of me by saying "this isn't dance class", but when he introduced a tough stretch to the class and tried to use the line, I made such a bad joke that I was doing pushups till he got tired of watching me.

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Soren (Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn) - 3%
Vaati (LoZ Minish Cap) - 2%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote