Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-07-2012, 09:26 PM   #1531
Flora88
Stay gold, Ponyboy.

@Emmers

Things I make for the Mathematician (we're also trying to cut "eating out" expenses.)

Burritos (rice, refried beans, chicken cut up and quickly cooked in a pan with salt, pepper, cumin, and Tony's, in a tortilla)
Curry (Your favorite curry recipe + rice + whatever meat or vegetables you want in there. In tupperware.)
Wrap sandwiches (He doesn't like bread. What a weirdo. Usually turkey, cheese and bacon wrapped up in a tortilla or flatbread.)

Soup in a thermos (not so much now that it's ridiculously hot in NYC.)

Leftovers from whatever I've cooked during the week.

I usually make these things for him (or he makes them for himself) before we go to bed, then he just grabs it in the morning.

"Your ultrasound shanty is shady as hell!" - Lithium Flower

The Winter Soldier (CA:TWS)
Hiram McDaniels and the Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives In Your Home (WTNV)
Sasha and Aleksis Kaidonovsky (Cherno Alpha pilots, Pacific Rim)
Various rockstars
Flora88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-08-2012, 05:31 AM   #1532
RoMayDrako
Happy Now?

I'm cooking Edamame on the George Formen grill-again. Discovered it gives it a nice flavor plus it drys it out less then nuking it.

If edamame is dry in the bag wet it then place on single layer on GF grill. Get some chunked sea salt and sprinkle it over the edamame-but not to thick. Poor some water over it close the lid wait five minutes add a little more water then cooked till outside of some edamame are turning brown.

Generally you boil edamame in salt water, thus why I thought to you know use sea salt chunks (crystals). Of course this came to my mind because my salt grinder from the dollar tree came with a huge falt. It has a screw on cap, and the same way you grind the salt is also the same direction to unscrew the top.
Unread 07-08-2012, 07:15 AM   #1533
Bisected8
panificium delicatum sum

Lemon meringue pie for breakfast today, it seems....

To do; Dark Link (70%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
Bisected8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2012, 06:02 PM   #1534
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
The Saint's standard lunch is onigiri, fresh vegetables (baby carrots, bell pepper slices, cherry tomatoes, celery sticks), fresh fruit (banana, apple, orange, grapes), raw nuts. We put the rice cooker on the timer the night before and it only takes about 10 min. to put everything else together.
That sounds SO GOOD. Now I have another lunch idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kildread View Post
I can't seem to use fresh vegetables or fruits unless they're apples before they go bad.

I buy a few, realize I'm never finishing them before they go bad, stop. And the cycle goes on.
I'm terrible about this. I do it with meats, too-- basically, if it's expensive, I will waste it. I"m trying to get better, though; my goal is to buy no more than I will realistically use and focus on consuming it right away rather than leaving it in the fridge where I will probably forget about it. I hate seeing good food wasted.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2012, 06:44 PM   #1535
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora88 View Post
(He doesn't like bread. What a weirdo. Usually turkey, cheese and bacon wrapped up in a tortilla or flatbread.)
I do like bread. A lot. But tortillas and flat bread add to the variety and are generally lower cal, so I keep both on hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kildread View Post
I can't seem to use fresh vegetables or fruits unless they're apples before they go bad.
Oranges last a good long while. Berries and grapes can be frozen. For vegetables, celery and unpeeled carrots will last for quite awhile in the fridge. Lettuce is the worst. :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
I hate seeing good food wasted.
I hear you. And after decades of practice with menu planning, shopping and cooking, I still occasionally end up tossing stuff. ):
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2012, 07:09 PM   #1536
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

On the food wasting front, I've fallen into a pattern of mostly buying fruits and veg that I can use at multiple stages of freshness. Bananas, zucchini, carrots, that sort of thing: basically anything that I can trim the worst bits off and pop into a quickbread recipe. 350F for an hour cures the ills of nearly anything that can grow on a vegetable.

You can put damn near anything into a cornbread. Try it.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2012, 07:21 PM   #1537
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangochutney View Post
350F for an hour cures the ills of nearly anything that can grow on a vegetable.
Keep in mind that you live on the left coast. At the point, a 350 degree oven on the east coast would be hell on earth (at least in the First World part of the earth - also, apparently one can bake in one's slow cooker which I haven't tried yet.)

Quote:
You can put damn near anything into a cornbread. Try it.
I don't doubt that this is true.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #1538
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
apparently one can bake in one's slow cooker
ONE CAN BAKE IN A RICE COOKER TOO

http://thelazychef.wordpress.com/200...read-ja-pan-2/
http://www.instructables.com/id/Rice-Cooker-Bread/

I feel for everybody who's sucking up Hell on Earth right now, I really do. Seattle's been unseasonably cool so I'm all bitchy and sweatous now we're hitting the *gasp* MID-80s and knowing everybody else has it so much worse just makes me feel like a jerk AND a wuss.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)

Last edited by Mangochutney : 07-08-2012 at 07:41 PM.
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2012, 01:02 AM   #1539
RoMayDrako
Happy Now?

Quote:
ONE CAN BAKE IN A RICE COOKER TOO

http://thelazychef.wordpress.com/200...read-ja-pan-2/
http://www.instructables.com/id/Rice-Cooker-Bread/

I feel for everybody who's sucking up Hell on Earth right now, I really do. Seattle's been unseasonably cool so I'm all bitchy and sweatous now we're hitting the *gasp* MID-80s and knowing everybody else has it so much worse just makes me feel like a jerk AND a wuss.
When I get back to work on wednesday I am totally making corn bread in the rice maker. I know it's for normal bread, but now I have the urge to try corn bread.

FYI You can cook a london broil in a rice maker, heat soup, make mac-and-cheese, and pop popcorn (yes folks you can it just takes the ones you press down to start cooking not the fancy ones). Boiled eggs are the best with the non fancy cookers. Just put the eggs in cover hit the bottun to start cooking wait till it starts boiling really well shut it off leave the eggs in there 20 to 25 minutes. This is great if you are hopless idiot when it comes to making hardboiled eggs on the stove like me.

It's also amazing what you can cook with a coffee maker.

WHAT I am a security gaurd I need to eat some how.

-edit-

All this talk of FOOD! I just made Edamame on the george formen grill again, along with a grilled cheese bagel in the toaster oven. I put other then cheese, pickles and a little bit of cock sauce on it. MMm so tastey.

one last tip, the george formin grill is PERFECT for cooking bacon.

Last edited by RoMayDrako : 07-09-2012 at 01:59 AM.
RoMayDrako is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2012, 03:01 AM   #1540
xiaohimecece
The Little Princess

I recently got my hands on some rosemary herbs!
And they're straight from the ground....roots and all.
But I have no idea how to use them.
Any suggestions?
xiaohimecece is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2012, 03:51 AM   #1541
Bisected8
panificium delicatum sum

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiaohimecece View Post
I recently got my hands on some rosemary herbs!
And they're straight from the ground....roots and all.
But I have no idea how to use them.
Any suggestions?
I'd suggest lamb. It smells great if you barbecue things with it as well.

Unread 07-09-2012, 04:41 AM   #1542
xiaohimecece
The Little Princess

Ooh lamb sounds delicious! However, the only lamb I've ever cooked was in hot pot....
Do you suggest using Lamb chops or would any cut of lamb meat would do?
I will assume that I should be able to just pan fry the herb and lamb together.

Does rosemary also go well with pasta/bread/other vegetarian meals? It would be great to find a vegetarian option for my mom to try out too. (though besides meat, she also stays away from garlic, onions and chives as well.)
xiaohimecece is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2012, 05:33 AM   #1543
Bisected8
panificium delicatum sum

Any cut will work (and any cooking method). Rosemary just goes well with lamb.

I don't know about vegetarian meals (most recipes I know that involve rosemary are meat ones), but there was one time I had roasted potatoes flavoured with it and that came out well (just sprinkle it over them when you begin roasting), it might work with other sorts of potatoes.

Unread 07-09-2012, 01:15 PM   #1544
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Rosemary is great baked on pizza dough with coarse salt, olive oil, and maybe some grated or shaved parmesan cheese. It's wonderful with roast chicken and potatoes. A vegetarian dish I make with rosemary is chickpeas or cannellini beans with rosemary, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and sauteed garlic, onions, and baby spinach, sometimes mixed in with pasta, but I'm guessing your mom would not be too into that on account of the onions and garlic.

You can use rosemary stalks as skewers for grilling. Tastes really nice with lamb, beef, chicken, even salmon.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2012, 02:50 PM   #1545
Lithium Flower
Handphones

I feel like the only person who genuinely cannot stand rosemary. The smell makes me gag, the taste makes me gag, but it's in EVERYTHING.

For lunch I made a poor-womans caprise salad consisting off mozzarella cheese slices, tomato slices, extra virgin olive oil and Italian seasoning. Then I toasted some Pita bread with paprika on top and had that with some red pepper hummus with the salad. It was awesome.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote