Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 36 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-14-2011, 09:15 AM   #256
Flora88
Stay gold, Ponyboy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot Billie View Post
I made pot roast using a recipe relayed to me over the phone by my grandmother. My kitchen stove got a little overzealous with the heat, thus incinerating the bottom side of my roast and turning the onions to a black, tar-like substance honeycombing the bottom of the pot. I was able to remove the roast, clean out the pot, and nibble off the black portions (what can I say? carcinogens are delicious!) before adding beef bouillon and a few more onions. My problem-solving saved the roast from a dire and horrible fate at the bottom of a trashcan.

I felt like a supergenius after that.
You used "honeycomb" as a verb.

I think I love you.

"Your ultrasound shanty is shady as hell!" - Lithium Flower

The Winter Soldier (CA:TWS)
Hiram McDaniels and the Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives In Your Home (WTNV)
Sasha and Aleksis Kaidonovsky (Cherno Alpha pilots, Pacific Rim)
Various rockstars
Flora88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-14-2011, 09:54 AM   #257
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot Billie View Post
I made pot roast using a recipe relayed to me over the phone by my grandmother. My kitchen stove got a little overzealous with the heat, thus incinerating the bottom side of my roast and turning the onions to a black, tar-like substance honeycombing the bottom of the pot. I was able to remove the roast, clean out the pot, and nibble off the black portions (what can I say? carcinogens are delicious!) before adding beef bouillon and a few more onions. My problem-solving saved the roast from a dire and horrible fate at the bottom of a trashcan.

I felt like a supergenius after that.
Hey-- burnt crunchy bits are the highlight of any meal. Good job on salvaging your supper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Cadmium View Post
Dear Broccoli,

Your name is reminiscent of a strain of bacteria- why do you taste so good?

Forever yours,
IC
I miss broccoli. Hopefully, once 90% of vegetables no longer make me gag when I look at them, I'll be able to bring it back in my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~H~ View Post
I just rediscovered a favorite snack of mine...

Cracked Pepper & Olive Oil Triscuits topped with slices of Roma tomatoes and Brie (or fresh mozzerela). YUMMY!!!
Basically if it involves tomatoes and mozzarella, I'm in. I think I could live off of mozzarella, tomatoes, basil, and balsamic vinaigrette, especially if you add some crusty bread. MMMM.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 11:52 AM   #258
rubyspitfire
queen of the closet

roomie made philly cheese steak sandwiches last night. i'm enjoying leftovers for lunch ^_^

cosplay schedule
SoDak Con!!
Jean Havoc - Fullmetal Alchemist and FMA: Brotherhood
Sanji - One Piece
Catwoman - DC Comics/Gotham Girls (fanart version)

Ruby Spitfire, official D20 Girl
Support a single mom ^.^
rubyspitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 11:56 AM   #259
Xanarcah
=..= rawr?

Went to Safeway last night and got this delicious custard tart in a chocolate lined shell with sliced fruit on top. On sale for VDay. The best part about this "holiday" is all the delicious desserts and sweets on sale.

Also, while I was there, I discovered that Safeway sells bison. I need to think of a way to incorporate this into dinner.
- GMG Erza

Preregistered For
- GeekGirlCon '13
- Aki-Con '13
- Sakura-Con '14
Xanarcah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 01:40 PM   #260
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyAnathema View Post
Went to Safeway last night and got this delicious custard tart in a chocolate lined shell with sliced fruit on top. On sale for VDay. The best part about this "holiday" is all the delicious desserts and sweets on sale.

Also, while I was there, I discovered that Safeway sells bison. I need to think of a way to incorporate this into dinner.
If it means I get delicious desserts on sale, then yes, Valentine's Day is okay by me.

I've never cooked bison, although I did once have a bison steak while on vacation. I believe it can be used almost interchangeably with beef; bison is supposed to be lower in fat and cholesterol than beef. The flavor is similar, although I found the bison to be overall more tender and slightly gamier-tasting than an equivalent cut of beef would have been. If it counts, I had a strip steak with macaroni and cheese, cider glazed brussels sprouts, and a Syrah gastrique. Um, probably it'd be just as good with a side of mashed potatoes, green beans, and sauteed onions.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
Unread 02-14-2011, 02:14 PM   #261
Xanarcah
=..= rawr?

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
If it means I get delicious desserts on sale, then yes, Valentine's Day is okay by me.

I've never cooked bison, although I did once have a bison steak while on vacation. I believe it can be used almost interchangeably with beef; bison is supposed to be lower in fat and cholesterol than beef. The flavor is similar, although I found the bison to be overall more tender and slightly gamier-tasting than an equivalent cut of beef would have been. If it counts, I had a strip steak with macaroni and cheese, cider glazed brussels sprouts, and a Syrah gastrique. Um, probably it'd be just as good with a side of mashed potatoes, green beans, and sauteed onions.
Any excuse to get dessert for less than normal price is okay with me.

The bison at Safeway is pre-ground, though. Bison burgers? Bison meatballs?

And stop, you're making me hungry. D:
- GMG Erza

Preregistered For
- GeekGirlCon '13
- Aki-Con '13
- Sakura-Con '14
Xanarcah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 02:34 PM   #262
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Oh, yeah, pretty much any way you use ground beef you can use ground bison, although probably I would recommend against trying it in, like, Hamburger Helper. Burgers are a good bet, but I'd probably do a nice shepherd's pie with it.
Unread 02-14-2011, 03:01 PM   #263
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

I am considering making these cookies that involve Rice Krispies and Crunch bar bits inside them today. We'll see how ambitious I'm feeling.

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: J-Pop Summit Festival in San Francisco, CA (July 19-20)
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 10:37 PM   #264
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

On topic of buffalo/bison meat, I feel so lucky to have a bison ranch near my house. (It's the Wolfe Island Bison Farm). Free-range natural bison meat, and they have it in various cuts. Expensive as hell, though.

...and when one militant pussy vegan I knew got all bitchy over how "bison couldn't possibly be domesticated for food"...I showed her the place and where they were contendedly grazing in their field. Shut her right up.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 10:41 PM   #265
Angathol
harmony harmony
Canada Forums Moderator

I made this for dinner.
Angathol is evolving!
Congratulations! Your Angathol evolved into Independent Badass!
Future Costumes: Deedlit : Record of Lodoss War | Saber : Fate/Stay Night | Aya Shameimaru : Touhou Project | Nozomu Itoshiki : Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Angathol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 10:48 PM   #266
IAmShorty
Proud to be a shorty!

Ive had Bison jerky before. Pretty good. Oh yeah, and bison stew.
And elk meat. That was pretty good. I was visiting family in Montana, they catch and eat their own elk. Weird, but it was good.
IAmShorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 10:58 PM   #267
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I need to try elk. And venison, but that's happening this year since one of my Dad's friends is a pretty avid hunter (duck, deer, and occasionally moose). I've had wild duck, and I have to say, next time I'm buying one when I want duck for dinner. It was the TOUGHEST meat I had EVER chewed through. Like, I practically needed a hacksaw to get through it. I was also scared of accidentally biting into the shot if he'd left any... X_XU

Yah. Lately I've been on a "Must try all forms of wild game" thing. One gets pretty damn sick of chicken, turkey and pork after so many years. (I actually can't eat beef in any large amount. It gives me awful indigestion. Smallish amounts of bison, though, seem to be okay.)
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/

Last edited by ShinobiXikyu : 02-14-2011 at 11:00 PM.
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 11:02 PM   #268
spifferniffer
avoiding important things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angathol View Post
I made this for dinner.
You are amazing.

As for me, I'm morally opposed to salad.
I've been trying to convince my mom that I'm allergic to green food. She's been sneaking vegetables into my food where I can't see it, and then triumphantly proclaiming that I just ate green, so I can't possibly be allergic to green, so I have to eat vegetables, because they're green and she just proved that I'm not allergic to green. Sometimes my parents' immaturity gets to the point of insanity XD
Unread 02-15-2011, 02:34 AM   #269
Clyde_2.0
Wakka Wakka Wakka...

I've tried elk before. Granted, it was elk jerky that a friend of mine made and then brought on a hike to share, but it was pretty good.

My favorite meat is definitely lamb. I just like the taste better than any other type I've tried.
Unread 02-15-2011, 04:34 AM   #270
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

I had venison once. It was quite lean and tender, but not my meat of choice. Anything with a distinctly gamey taste is not for me; I have a tenuous relationship with meat as it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angathol View Post
I made this for dinner.
NERDAY STATION EGGS YESSSS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spifferniffer View Post
As for me, I'm morally opposed to salad.
I've been trying to convince my mom that I'm allergic to green food. She's been sneaking vegetables into my food where I can't see it, and then triumphantly proclaiming that I just ate green, so I can't possibly be allergic to green, so I have to eat vegetables, because they're green and she just proved that I'm not allergic to green. Sometimes my parents' immaturity gets to the point of insanity XD
I've known a couple of people who apparently were able to subsist off of chicken fingers and fries without welcoming vegetables into their lives, but I'm pretty sure it's not a sustainable lifestyle. Don't know how old you are, but I definitely found my tolerance for veggies increased with age, probably because all my taste buds are dying. Also, I have learned how to properly cook vegetables so they do not taste like chlorophyllic butt. Can't really blame your mom for "hiding" them on you-- vegetables are really important in keeping you healthy. I won't lie, most days I'd rather eat a grilled cheese than a salad, but it couldn't hurt to experiment with different veggies prepared in different ways until you find something you enjoy.

Worse comes to worse, give Mom a copy of that Deceptively Delicious book or something like that. Ignore the intermittent text because it's kind of irritating and pretentious, but give some of the recipes a try. I loathe cooked spinach and therefore did not believe it was possible to put spinach in brownies and eat them without puking, but I WAS WRONG.

Last edited by Michi : 02-15-2011 at 01:16 PM. Reason: merging a double post