Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 36 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-06-2011, 06:58 PM   #496
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora88 View Post
It's really not that different if you don't like meat in the first place. *Shrug*.
There are some meats I do like, and sometimes I get a terrible craving for one of them. I don't think I'd honestly miss it all that much, except possibly for bacon. It's tough, though, especially since SV is a devoted meat lover and it's hard to make meals that will satisfy both of us.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-06-2011, 07:12 PM   #497
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I tried vegetarianism in my teens (largely due to the in-your-face jerks who would constantly harrass you for eating it, and then if you gave it a shot would still harass you for eating dairy products)...no meat at ALL lasted a week, then I just ate eggs, poultry and some fish for a few years, then pork found it's way back in...yeah. Not vegetarian anymore. The only thing I still can't really handle is beef. It just leaves me gassy, with terrible breath and generally feeling like shit. I am fussy about how my meat's prepared, though. meat that tastes like MEAT, I generally find gross. It needs to be decently seasoned/sauce-covered or grilled very thin.
I'm glad my Dad and boyfriend are so accomodating with cooking. He's not super-fond of beef himself, and my Dad accepts that it's much better for him to not eat much red meat. When he wants a steak or roast, he just waits 'til I'm not home for a few days or cooks soemthing for me and something for him seperate (e.g., steak for him, salmon steak for me).

...oh, and I hate lamb/mutton. It always tasted like I was eating musty gym socks.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2011, 07:46 PM   #498
Akiyhrah
She-Geek extraordinaire

Quote:
It's really not that different if you don't like meat in the first place. *Shrug*.
Exactly. The only real difference is it's a hell of a lot harder to find variety at restaurants. Even just eating poultry and fish, menus tend to be very limited for me. North American meals are largely beef based. The worst is when someone convinces you to eat at a steakhouse. Those are usually salad nights for me... and considering my unusually large appetite, I always end up leaving hungry.
But when you're cooking for yourself, it's really not hard at all. I rarely eat meat when I cook for myself. Sometimes I'll cook chicken, especially if I'm having tacos or something, and I do eat a lot of eggs, but generally I'm totally fine without it.
Being a vegetarian can also be easy on the grocery bill, as meat tends to get pricey. XD
Unread 05-06-2011, 07:48 PM   #499
SakuraxTsubasa
a KarenCube!

Quote:
I'm afraid of meat. Is that bad?
SakuraxTsubasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2011, 07:52 PM   #500
Flora88
Stay gold, Ponyboy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakuraxTsubasa View Post
I'm afraid of meat. Is that bad?
Nah. It's pretty scary.

"Your ultrasound shanty is shady as hell!" - Lithium Flower

The Winter Soldier (CA:TWS)
Hiram McDaniels and the Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives In Your Home (WTNV)
Sasha and Aleksis Kaidonovsky (Cherno Alpha pilots, Pacific Rim)
Various rockstars
Flora88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2011, 07:54 PM   #501
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Vegetarianism CHEAPER? I dunno. In a country where all that fresh produce has to be imported half the year, AND considering how much those meat "substitutes" cost, I've never seen anythign but astronomical grocery bills. A kilo of regular deli meat costs about three bucks (and this is fresh-sliced stuff, notthe pre-packaged stuff). A pack, not even as much as a kilo, of that fake deli meat costs almost five around here.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
Unread 05-06-2011, 07:58 PM   #502
Flora88
Stay gold, Ponyboy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
Vegetarianism CHEAPER? I dunno. In a country where all that fresh produce has to be imported half the year, AND considering how much those meat "substitutes" cost, I've never seen anythign but astronomical grocery bills. A kilo of regular deli meat costs about three bucks (and this is fresh-sliced stuff, notthe pre-packaged stuff). A pack, not even as much as a kilo, of that fake deli meat costs almost five around here.
So far I've found it to be cheaper as well. The key?

^ THIS place. Fiesta is heaven for vegetarians and vegans. Their produce prices are super-low, even for their organic stuff.

"Your ultrasound shanty is shady as hell!" - Lithium Flower

The Winter Soldier (CA:TWS)
Hiram McDaniels and the Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives In Your Home (WTNV)
Sasha and Aleksis Kaidonovsky (Cherno Alpha pilots, Pacific Rim)
Various rockstars
Flora88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2011, 08:00 PM   #503
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Buuuut we don't have that here in Canada.:P
Unread 05-06-2011, 08:04 PM   #504
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

When I do buy meat, I tend to go for the most premium quality I can find because it helps alleviate the texture issues somewhat. For example, I'll buy ground sirloin instead of ground chuck. So yeah, eating meat adds a lot to the grocery bill. I also hate preparing meat; if I go out, it's one thing, since it comes to me already cooked, but at home I'd rather not have to deal with it. SV is mostly pretty patient, but some nights he just wants stew or pork chops or meatballs or something.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2011, 08:44 PM   #505
Akiyhrah
She-Geek extraordinaire

It was by FAR cheaper. I definitely noticed a difference when I started buying meat again, and that was only chicken. Meat is ridiculously expensive XD
Unread 05-06-2011, 08:52 PM   #506
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

But what are you substituting meat for? Myself, nothing will substitute meat for me. I've tried all thsoe vegetarian excuses for simulated meat, and I found them all completely revolting. Same with most legumes and lentils for protein/iron.
Unread 05-06-2011, 10:14 PM   #507
Adorima

Siopao and Siomai:

Siopao: stewed (sauted garlic, oyster sauce, shaoxing rice wine, hot bean paste, onions, soy sauce and sugar) pork in a white rice bun: steamed.

Siomai: shrimp, green onion, white wine, salt, pepper, cabbage: steamed.

Mine aren't that perfect though. I love round things.

+*+*+

NDK 2012/13:
Yori Wakaba - Vampire Knight 25%
Wang Yao (China) - Axis Powers Hetalia
Adorima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2011, 10:15 PM   #508
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

ooooh, Dim Sum. Delicious stuff. Pearl chicken's my favourite.
Unread 05-06-2011, 10:20 PM   #509
Adorima

Pearl's Chicken...feet?

When I was a little kid my dad used to scare me with chicken feet so now I'm permanently traumatized. Joke. It's true, but I got over it. I tried the chicken feet and they were actually really tender and sweet. Interesting, but I'd rather not.

+*+*+

NDK 2012/13:
Yori Wakaba - Vampire Knight 25%
Wang Yao (China) - Axis Powers Hetalia
Adorima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2011, 10:24 PM   #510
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Pearl chicken as I know it is basically like a rice ball; sticky rice with this minced and seasoned chicken inside, wrapped in a taro leaf. And ugh. Chicken feet, I have horrible memories of. A friend of mine when I was a kid lived on a farm where they kept chickens for eggs and meat...and one time when I came over, they killed a chicken for dinner. But that wasn't the gross part; the next day there was a bunch of inedible parts still on the ground, including feet. So one of her little brothers grabbed the chicken foot and started chasing me with it. And scratched me with it, too. T__T