Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-10-2011, 03:12 PM   #571
Stina006
Even in darkness...

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post

I think it's time to go back and edit that first post.
??
Jesus take the wheel?
Edward Elric-Fullmetal Alchemist

Planned~
North Italy-Hetalia
Link-Oracle of Seasons/Oracle of Ages ver.- The Legend of Zelda
Super Sailor Chibi Moon- Sailor Moon
Stina006 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-10-2011, 03:38 PM   #572
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Updated first post.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2011, 04:09 PM   #573
Bisected8
panificium delicatum sum

So what has everyone been cooking lately?

I was thinking of baking a banana cream pie tomorrow (to celebrate the fact I just finished my exams), but I'd like to try making a dessert I've never done before.

To do; Dark Link (70%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
Bisected8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2011, 04:13 PM   #574
Stina006
Even in darkness...

Quote:
*i thought you were talking to me, sorry >_>*

yay for PIE!! i made a three berry pie yesterday...was pretty good...needed more sugar but it was still good with some coolwhip. can't eat too much though cause it'll give me back my...ahem leg problems
Edward Elric-Fullmetal Alchemist

Planned~
North Italy-Hetalia
Link-Oracle of Seasons/Oracle of Ages ver.- The Legend of Zelda
Super Sailor Chibi Moon- Sailor Moon

Last edited by Stina006 : 05-10-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Stina006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2011, 06:10 PM   #575
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireKitty View Post
Needs more taste? BUTTER! You want heat? I PUT IN OVEN.
That makes me want to say something stupid like, "In Soviet Russia, food heats you!"

Quote:
...i'm such a pansy. People don't get the "i can't take spices" and translate to "i can take spices, but nothing that's extreme" for some reason. I AM WORKING ON IT THOUGH. Slowly... ever so slowly.
Certainly your palette can get acclimated (or de-acclimated) to a spice. With some people though the issue is gastric rather than taste. ): Personally, I love highly spiced things (hot or not) and also pretty much anything with lots of garlic. I've avoided salt for so many years though, that sometimes when I eat out I end up guzzling water because everything seems so so salty.

Quote:
I went to a Thai place the other day. I had mango chicken. So good! My friend had spicy food. I tried it. (>O<) Hooooot~
Yeah - I've had some pretty darn hot Thai food. XD

Started to make vegetarian lasagna tonight, but discovered that I'd forgotten to buy mushrooms. -_-; So I made "what's in the fridge?" casserole instead. Lasagna tomorrow.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2011, 06:21 PM   #576
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
"what's in the fridge?" casserole
At this point I don't think I have enough laying around to even cobble together one of those. I have had some intense experiences with them in the past, though. My goal in the near future is to clean out the fridge and pantry, get rid of everything that's no good or I know deep in my heart I will not use, and start fresh.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
Unread 05-10-2011, 06:38 PM   #577
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

I've been slowly culling stuff from the panty. Sweet rice? Out. Cake flour from 4 years ago? Out. Applesauce past the expiration date? Out. Crisco? Why do I even have this? Karo syrup? Ditto. I have a bazillion spices, but I actually use most of them. I do need a new spice rack though as my current one is sort of grotty.
Unread 05-10-2011, 06:54 PM   #578
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
I've been slowly culling stuff from the panty. Sweet rice? Out. Cake flour from 4 years ago? Out. Applesauce past the expiration date? Out. Crisco? Why do I even have this? Karo syrup? Ditto. I have a bazillion spices, but I actually use most of them. I do need a new spice rack though as my current one is sort of grotty.
I don't use them that often, but I do try to keep Crisco and Karo on hand, for those occasions when I am making marshmallow fondant or hard candy. This is probably more often than most people ever have use for them.

We never got around to finding a spice rack for my galaxy of spices. I keep them in shoe boxes. Isn't that sad? Some day I want a really nice spice rack; my spices deserve better.
Unread 05-10-2011, 07:01 PM   #579
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
I don't use them that often, but I do try to keep Crisco and Karo on hand, for those occasions when I am making marshmallow fondant or hard candy. This is probably more often than most people ever have use for them.
I suspect that I had visions of a pecan pie at some point for the Karo. Possibly for the Crisco too, though I normally just use butter for pie crusts. o_O? But maybe I was looking at a specific recipe that wanted me to use vegetable shortening instead? I am absolutely devoted to The Pie and Pastry Bible. My crusts were always sub-par until I started using it. And she's such a nerd! XD I love how she explains the theory behind why you do everything and how various leavenings work.
Unread 05-10-2011, 07:12 PM   #580
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

I have never tried making a pie crust. Much of my reading on pies has led me to these conclusions:

-pastry making is a pain in the ass
-pre-made crusts will probably come out fine

Both of which are probably untrue, but I don't even like pie that much to begin with. That book sure does make me want to try, though.

Something else I want to try are squash blossoms. I've never even seen them in a market around here, but these recipes make them look kind of awesome. And this looks awesome. And this.

Can you tell I'm hungry?
Unread 05-10-2011, 07:21 PM   #581
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
-pastry making is a pain in the ass
Not too much if you have a food processor, though it does require planning ahead as things have to chill.

Quote:
-pre-made crusts will probably come out fine
The quality/effort ratio is probably not that much different. I use pre-made for quiche because that makes quiche a really easy meal. Pies are a fair amount of work regardless, so the extra time to make the crust seems worth it. Does that make any sense?

Quote:
I don't even like pie that much to begin with.
See, I love pie. I love pie more than cake! It's true! Sorry cake. Pie has always secretly been my favorite.

All those links look yummy. We grow squash in our garden every year but only get a few at a time. I couldn't harvest enough blossoms to make a dish out of them. ):
Unread 05-10-2011, 07:24 PM   #582
Bisected8
panificium delicatum sum

Personally I find making pastry/crusts to be the best parts of piemaking. Something that slid off a conveyer belt into some cheap plastic wrap with a few thousand fellows after an embedded system made sure to make it as thin as possible just can't compare to a homemade one. My grandma recently taught me her recipe for pastry (which is a lot softer and crumblier than mine, which makes it great for tarts, if a little annoying to roll out). ^_^

I like pie and cake equally though. And I prefer to hand mix (I need the exercise XD).

To do; Dark Link (70%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.

Last edited by Bisected8 : 05-10-2011 at 07:26 PM.
Bisected8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2011, 07:28 PM   #583
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
The quality/effort ratio is probably not that much different. I use pre-made for quiche because that makes quiche a really easy meal. Pies are a fair amount of work regardless, so the extra time to make the crust seems worth it. Does that make any sense?

See, I love pie. I love pie more than cake! It's true! Sorry cake. Pie has always secretly been my favorite.
It kind of makes sense, but I am also very fond of shortcuts and convenience foods. I'd make crust from scratch if I was doing a tart or something like that, but for a pie so far I've just used the pre-made. That cream cheese crust sounds pretty fantastic, though.

SV also prefers pie to cake. Handy information for when birthdays come up. I'm generally big into pie filling, but pie crusts have never been good friends to me.
Unread 05-10-2011, 07:30 PM   #584
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

Quote:
I love pie more than cake!
SUPERIOR

Cake is pretty meh for me too. I won't turn my nose up at any pastry but fruit in crust is where I LIVE, man. I made this upstanding pie citizen for Mother's Day and swapped out the cinnamon for ginger. #$%@#$% delicious. Apples and rhubarb are meant to go together. It's my childhood backyard with a lattice top. <3
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2011, 07:34 PM   #585
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Another thing that makes pie crusts a lot easier is a silicone mat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangochutney View Post
Cake is pretty meh for me too.
I will admit that part of my dislike of making cakes is that my cake decorating skills blow. PD, on the other hand, rules at that kind of thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangochutney View Post
I made this upstanding pie citizen for Mother's Day and swapped out the cinnamon for ginger. #$%@#$% delicious. Apples and rhubarb are meant to go together. It's my childhood backyard with a lattice top. <3
That looks delicious. The Pie and Pastry Bible has an great apple and cranberry pie that tastes amazingly like cherry but with the advantage of not have to remove a bazillion pits. But then I completely lurv all things cranberry.

Last edited by The Hag : 05-10-2011 at 07:42 PM.