Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-19-2012, 01:07 PM   #1126
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

Got the supplies in, going to see about getting my brew on tonight or tomorrow. It's funny how I absolutely love hoppy beer but when I'm making it it's usually brown ale or some weird hybrid thing. I'll have to make a nice IPA to have ready for summer.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-19-2012, 01:20 PM   #1127
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
Both were extremely tasty. In fact, it was mutually agreed upon by all parties, that this was the best corned beef and cabbage ever. I'm pretty sure that a lot of it had to do with it being a really really good cut of meat. So despite all my snarking about Tree-hugger Foods, I have to tip my hat to them.
That looks super yummy. And Tree-hugger Foods does sell quality products (at exorbitant prices). We don't have many butchers left in the area, so at least I know I can usually trust them when I need a really nice piece of meat.

I never did get around to making my chocolate cake; I made rainbow cake with lemon-cream cheese frosting, but it was kind of a disaster. It's embarrassing.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2012, 03:12 PM   #1128
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Yeah, much as I'd like to, I can't really take credit for its super awesomeness. I've made the exact same recipe before and it wasn't this good. And really - all you do is throw the meat in a pot with some vegetables, boil the snot out of it, strain, throw it back in the pot with new vegetables and boil them for another 30 minutes. So, yeah, I think that it was just really good beef.

And I also have to give credit to you and Flora for the Guinness cake. I did end up using the recipe that you posted, just minus the cherries and then a bit more sugar to make up for the lack of molasses. I did 1c white sugar and 1c brown sugar. Also only made half of the recipe. Used a springform pan but still lined the bottom with parchment. Took a bit longer to cook than the recipe said, but didn't dry out at all. It's really lovely and moist. More chocolately than sweet, which is my preference.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2012, 03:18 PM   #1129
Bisected8
panificium delicatum sum

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
PD posted it in the other thread - but here it is again:

http://www.marthastewartweddings.com...hocolate-glaze

My daughter wasn't keen on the cherries, so I found this one which looks really similar. But we're going to do the chocolate glaze from the first one rather than the whipped cream.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...ut-Cake-107105
Cheers!

To do; Dark Link (70%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
Bisected8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2012, 03:52 PM   #1130
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Just ate a pb&j on Swedish-style rye bread. Yup. Fancy stuff in this house.... but it's clam chowder for dinner tonight. ^^
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 05:56 PM   #1131
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

I've been on a major kiwi kick lately, so today I made a kiwi breakfast cake:

This is the recipe; it mostly tastes like coffee cake with kiwi slices on top, but it's quite nice with a hot beverage.

And don't try to make it the same morning you intend to break your fast on it; that sucker takes a long time to put together.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 07:22 PM   #1132
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Looks tasty, though I never particularly liked kiwi. There's just something about furry green fruit that turns me off.

On my end, there's carrot cake for dessert. Mmmm.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Unread 03-22-2012, 07:28 PM   #1133
Bisected8
panificium delicatum sum

I wish I had some carrot cake right now. >_<

My grandparents are visiting this Sunday, so I've been put on baking duty; A plate full of vanilla slices tommorow/Friday (they'll keep until then) and a lemon tart (which, looking at the recipe, seems to more of a lemon egg custard).

Unread 03-23-2012, 02:12 PM   #1134
harmonyisarine

Made beer battered cod for dinner last night. The recipe I found is by my hero Alton Brown, and made with Yuengling's. It's seriously one of the tastiest beer battered fishes I've had, and I even had to cut out pretty much all spices/flavorants due to a pepper allergy.

Now I want cookies.
Unread 03-23-2012, 09:53 PM   #1135
PrincessKaori87
Caffeine addict

I told my brother I would bake him a vegan dessert. Now I just got to decide what to make him....

Me on Twitter
Me on deviantART
Me on Facebook
PrincessKaori87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2012, 08:12 AM   #1136
Bisected8
panificium delicatum sum

Baking the lemon tart today. Hopefully it'll work....

Unread 03-24-2012, 07:57 PM   #1137
Xanarcah
=..= rawr?

Made an actually very nice gluten-free and dairy-free chocolate cake a couple days ago.

No flour, no sugar, no butter, no milk.

Somehow it is still delicious. It is amazingly moist and pretty chocolatey and the texture is as if I'd made it conventionally with flour and butter and sugar.

Gonna melt and drizzle some chocolate on top of what's left and see how it tastes that way~
- GMG Erza

Preregistered For
- GeekGirlCon '13
- Aki-Con '13
- Sakura-Con '14
Xanarcah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2012, 08:02 PM   #1138
Vero_Nightshade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisected8 View Post
Cheers!
i want a nice glass of wine to chase away my prefect's angst and so i say to you my good friend, cheers
Vero_Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2012, 09:07 PM   #1139
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I need to find a specialty cheese shop sometime. There's SO MANY KINDS. And so many of them look absolutely delicious. All my parents ever buy is cheddar, marble and mozzarella. Hell no, I want to REALLY try new cheeses. I'm deeply in love with gouda, brie and camembert, and I'm dying to try more goats-milk cheeses. And more artisan cheeses. Hell, more of anything that's cheese. Even Nepalese yaks-milk cheese. (The only cheeses to date that I don't like at all, are feta, really old cheddar, and, unless melted, swiss.)
Unread 03-25-2012, 06:11 PM   #1140
Bisected8
panificium delicatum sum

I'm quite please with how the filling came out in the lemon tart I baked for my grandparents: http://fav.me/d4u1ga5

Although less so with the pastry (and the fact my grandpa was disappointed it wasn't a bakewell tart v_v).