Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 36 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-25-2012, 06:32 PM   #1141
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
Even Nepalese yaks-milk cheese.
I was lucky enough to obtain some of this several years ago; I'm just going to say that if you like tasting and smelling yak at the same time, it is the cheese for you. I didn't finish my piece but I regret that now, I think it would have made a pretty good red-wine fondue. With more red wine on the side. Because of yak.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-25-2012, 06:40 PM   #1142
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Thanks for the warning; i didn't think yaks had that much odour to them. Still, I wouldn't pass up the opportunity to try it. Did you get that super-hard cheese that you chew like gum, or the soft stuff?
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2012, 06:40 PM   #1143
pocky_penguin66
Voxx

I just made Tres Leche Cupcakes for a potluck at work tomorrow. Made with home made whipped cream as well

Also, I'm making Mango Bourbon Pulled Pork Sandwiches for dinner.

My favorite thing to make, and is requested at every party I go to, is my Peanut Butter Maple Bacon Fudge. ♥ It is amazing.
Fionna the Human ~Adventure Time
pocky_penguin66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2012, 06:43 PM   #1144
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

Quote:
Did you get that super-hard cheese that you chew like gum, or the soft stuff?
It was the soft stuff, or at least not rock-hard. About the texture of a sharp cheddar.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2012, 01:24 PM   #1145
harmonyisarine

Shinobi: If they have it, I highly recommend gjetost, a brown Norwegian goat cheese that's vaguely sweet. I like it sliced and then rolled into balls until it's soft, but it's also amazing sliced as a side to strawberries or raspberries, or layered on top of buttered toast.

I made amazing chicken strips last night. All homemade and southern-style, and I even used dark meat for my chunks. Also, chocolate chip cookies. I messed up and forgot to put in brown sugar, instead using all white, so I added molasses to make up for it. I added too much molasses.

But it only made it better.
Unread 03-26-2012, 09:08 PM   #1146
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I THINK I've heard of that, actually. Too bad there's no sizeable Scandinavian population around here, because I really want to try a lot of the foods. (Icelandic, Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish, Danish, etc.) ....minus such creeptastic dishes as smalahove, sviđ, surströmming, and hákarl. (sheep's head, sheep's head again, a sort of REALLY smelly preserved fish, and fermented Greenland shark....)
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
Unread 03-27-2012, 02:14 PM   #1147
harmonyisarine

I can get you some of the recipes for the stuff you can prepare at home, if you'd like. They're straight from my grandmother, who spent a great deal of her life living in Norway. Most of the recipes aren't too hard and can use substitutions. They all involve loads of butter and cream.

And you mentioned creeptastic dishes and didn't mention lutefisk? None of my Norwegian family will even touch the stuff, despite the "traditional" tag it has.
Unread 03-27-2012, 02:28 PM   #1148
PrincessKaori87
Caffeine addict

I come from a pretty large Mexican family, so my mom has a lot of recipes that came from her parents.

Me on Twitter
Me on deviantART
Me on Facebook
PrincessKaori87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2012, 03:23 PM   #1149
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaori87 View Post
I told my brother I would bake him a vegan dessert. Now I just got to decide what to make him....
There's a chocolate avocado cake I've been meaning to try. I hear the cake itself is fantastic, but the frosting might be a bit of an acquired taste unless you're really into avocado.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, that’s horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, it’s nothing. It’s just bibble-babble. It’s like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2012, 09:20 PM   #1150
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonyisarine View Post
And you mentioned creeptastic dishes and didn't mention lutefisk? None of my Norwegian family will even touch the stuff, despite the "traditional" tag it has.
ehhhhh, I really want to try it. I'm not so repulsed by the sight of it that I'd refuse to try it. Unlike with half a boiled sheep's head. ...and I handled durian, smell-wise...

(and yeah, nothing particularly exotic in my family. Mostly English ancestry and no more recently than the early 1900's, so pretty well no "ethnic" foods.)
Unread 03-28-2012, 11:30 AM   #1151
MissRielle

You know what I want but I cannot have? Scotch mints <3 Or fries. I love fries with a burning passion that will last for all eternity <3.
MissRielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2012, 01:55 PM   #1152
harmonyisarine

Quote:
ehhhhh, I really want to try it. I'm not so repulsed by the sight of it that I'd refuse to try it. Unlike with half a boiled sheep's head. ...and I handled durian, smell-wise...

(and yeah, nothing particularly exotic in my family. Mostly English ancestry and no more recently than the early 1900's, so pretty well no "ethnic" foods.)
The look is fine, it's the curing in lye that gets me. My family on both sides are relatively new to America (one to 2.5 generations, not counting us grandkids), so we still have a bunch of recipes. One side is Norwegian, the other is Italian. I am surrounded by delicious.

In food news, I made beer-battered cod (again), but this time paired it with a home-made sweet and sour sauce. Amazing. The sauce was made with my dad's homemade vinegar made from his own red wine. Stuff's so good you can drink it straight. As the base for sweet and sour? Divine. I want more, but I don't want to use the entire bottle at once.
Unread 03-28-2012, 02:07 PM   #1153
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Yeah, I've been told the lye in preparing it is the harder part. It apparently smells really strong,or is an absolute bitch to clean up afterward and will ruin silver tableware, and isn't really that good for your teeth either, right? Regardless, I'll try it if I get the opportunity.
Unread 03-28-2012, 09:53 PM   #1154
yellowkaiq
Man vs. Food

Grilled Chicken Tostada Salad mmmm it's like one of those taco bowls with stuff in it, so good
Unread 03-29-2012, 09:34 AM   #1155
Bisected8
All glory to hypnoturtle!

I'm going to have a go at making some chocolate and hazelnut brioche. I don't have a bundt pan, so I'm going to use a couple of loaf tins and hope for the best.

To do; Dark Link (80%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
Bisected8 is offline   Reply With Quote