Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Other Reviews

Unread 01-11-2011, 04:45 PM   #1
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Wig Brand/Shop Review: Assist Wig

Name of Merchant: AssistWig
Items ordered: A New Year's Lucky Bag containing two short wigs in "latte" and "ginger", two long wigs in silver-white and "sax blue", a medium length wig in silvery blonde, and a styling set with a comb, hard hair spray and oil spray.
Links to picture(s) of your items recieved: coming

Timeline (how long your order took to process): The order was placed directly and took about 4 days to process. Shipping was within Japan.

Experience: I purchased their 9,999 yen Lucky Bag on a whim, having never tried an Assist Wig before. I was very pleasantly surprised.

Pros: The lucky bag sale in particular represents a tremendous value: 5 brand new, heat-resistant wigs each with their own storage bag, drawstring "Assistwig"-branded carrying bag, two matching wig-caps and a hair-net. The bonus styling supplies were also quite nice. In all, I recieved over 30,000 yen worth of wigs for a little more than 10,000 after shipping.

All of the wigs arrived in pristine condition. The fibers are smooth, soft and thickly wefted. Long wigs resist tangles and comb out beautifully.

The colors are all muted and flatter my skin tone, including the bright purplish-pink wig that I doubted would.

The wigs are much roomier than most other Japanese wig companies and though there are no skin-tops, it's virtually impossible to lay any of the wig's top bare through styling.

Cons: Lucky Bags contain discontinued and closeout items, meaning falling in love with these particular colors or wanting them in another style of wig is an excersize in sorrow The "latte" in particular I really wish would stick around. But I suppose all good things must come to an end: even gorgeous wig colors.

The average retail price of Assist Wigs (about 5600 yen) is a little steep for a wig without a skintop or any special styling, but I would certainly purchase wigs used, on sale or in closeout without hesitation. They're very nice.

Final Comments: 5 gorgeous, brand new wigs and a handful of styling products for about 10,000 yen. I'll use two as-is, dye the third and sell the other two to make back what I can from the initial investment. That's a pretty stellar haul for a blind-packed grab bag! Beyond that, wigs are soft, thick and flattering.

Final Grade: 10

LAYERS Tutorial Translations: here, Blog: here
~ Cosplayer's Archive #67148 ~ Cure #224396 ~ My Marketplace Page ~
kiratsukai is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-14-2011, 08:40 PM   #2
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Name of Merchant: AssistWig
Items ordered: A New Year's Lucky Bag containing one short wigs in light brownish green, one medium wig in dark brown/natural black, a long wig in purplish dark pink/maroon, a brush and a wig stand for 7,777 yen. A closeout short wig in "manhattan orange" for an Apollo cosplay for 3,480 yen.
Links to picture(s) of your items recieved: coming

Timeline (how long your order took to process): The order was placed directly and took about 3 days to process. Shipping was within Japan.

Experience: Having been totally impressed with their 9,999 Lucky Bag, I picked up one of the 7,777 yen bags too. Also opted to grab my Apollo wig from Assist since the other bright colors suited me well and I had been worrying about comitting to bright orange ^^;;;

Pros: The smaller lucky bag is another good value: 3 brand new, heat-resistant wigs each with their own storage bag, drawstring "Assistwig"-branded carrying bag, two matching wig-caps and a hair-net. This set's bonuses were a nice large wig-styling brush bearing the Assist Wig brand and a new snap-together wig-stand. In all, I recieved about 17,000 yen worth of wigs for about 8,000 yen.

The wig I ordered for Apollo is very flattering, has a ton of body and needs nothing at all in the way of cutting in order to wear for the character. I'm quite pleased with it.

All of the wigs arrived in pristine condition. The fibers are smooth, soft and thickly wefted. Long wigs resist tangles and comb out beautifully.

The colors are all muted and flatter my face and skin tone.

Cons: Lucky Bags contain discontinued and closeout items, so if you like a color it's likely you'll not be able to get any more of it.

The colors of wigs are very difficult to judge from the website photos.

The average retail price of Assist Wigs (about 5600 yen) is a little steep for a wig without a skintop or any special styling, but I would certainly purchase wigs used, on sale or in closeout without hesitation. They're very nice.

While the longer styles have very roomy caps, the shorter styles are much more form-fitting. The shortest style, in particular, will likely not fit someone with an above-average sized head or with a lot of hair to pile under it.

Final Comments: 4 gorgeous, brand new wigs and a handful of styling products for a little more than 10,000 yen. Wigs are soft, thick and flattering. I'm not sure what I'll use the lucky bag wigs for, but I really love the short green wig and I'm determined to wear it for SOMETHING! Black/brown is always useable. Only the purplish-pink will probably need to be sold.

Final Grade: 10

LAYERS Tutorial Translations: here, Blog: here
~ Cosplayer's Archive #67148 ~ Cure #224396 ~ My Marketplace Page ~
kiratsukai is offline   Reply With Quote