Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 05-12-2016, 07:55 PM   #1
yellowwellies
I love lamp

Question Matching eyebrows to wig???…bleach?

I have full, coarse, black eyebrows, despite medium red brown hair naturally. Alas. So, in order to match any lighter cosplay/wig, I need to lighten them somehow. I feel that my bold brows really ruin the look of my lighter wigs.

I have tried everything: colored eyebrow mascara, white cream paint, concealer and powder, gluestick/concealer/powder, color-correcting concealer to get rid of the dark undertones that show through foundation-everything. Except…bleaching.
I figure if I bleach them to a lighter color, they will be easier to cover up?
Does anyone have experience with at-home facial bleach that can attest to this?
Also, how easy is it to darken blonde brows with makeup (while i wait for them to grow back)? Will a pencil/powder/tinted mascara do the job well?

Thanks a bunch!
yellowwellies is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-13-2016, 12:38 AM   #2
PSY-chan
Human Bubblewrap

To be honest, even if you wear a light colored wig, your brows can still be shades darker than it and still look natural. However, I have heard that Asian brand brow mascaras are more pigmented; you can find those on places like Amazon and Jolse.
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2016, 08:25 AM   #3
Charlemagne
Champion of Kirkwall

Whatever you do, don't use bleach, or anything labeled for dyeing of the hair on the head. It's meant for the hair on your head, and can cause blindness in the eyes if used elsewhere. It's painful! You could also mask your eyebrows with glue, primer, concealer, and foundation like drag queens do, and draw on eyebrows that match.

Hawke - Dragon Age (100%)
Neo Queen Serenity - Sailor Moon (Planned)
Leliana (Winter Palace) - Dragon Age (Planned)

Obi-Wan Kenobi - Star Wars (Planned)
Warden King Alistair - Dragon Age (10%)
Padme Amidala (Loyalist Committee Gown) - Star Wars (Planned)
Eowyn - Lord of the Rings (Planned)
Charlemagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2016, 09:58 AM   #4
micro-babe
Five Feet of POWAH!

Unless you want to have lighter eyebrows day to day, I would skip bleaching. Sounds like too much of a hassle for just cosplay. I have success with using white eyeliner to block out my natural brow color rather than a color corrector. I pat powder on top of that and repeat until it's as light as I want it to be. Then I go over it with a pencil in the color of my wig and pat more powder on top. The extra powder also lightens the color a bit. I pretty much only use NYX pencils for this. For blonde and really light brown wigs, I do want to try brow mascaras but I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Eyebrows are so hard to deal with in cosplay when you have really dark brows but you just need to practice techniques and figure out what works for you. Believe me, it takes a while to figure it out.

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
micro-babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2016, 08:07 PM   #5
yellowwellies
I love lamp

Oh definitely, I would never use hair bleach. What about facial bleach though? In a cream form?

I've tried the drag techniques and they just don't work for me. I can't tell what I'm doing wrong either.

Last edited by yellowwellies : 05-15-2016 at 08:09 PM. Reason: incomplete
Unread 05-16-2016, 02:36 AM   #6
Nebbles
Aspiring Cosplayer

I'm facing this problem as well, as I plan to cosplay Zelda this summer, and I have dark brown eyebrows and need to make them look blonde.
Nebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2016, 05:37 AM   #7
micro-babe
Five Feet of POWAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowwellies View Post
Oh definitely, I would never use hair bleach. What about facial bleach though? In a cream form?

I've tried the drag techniques and they just don't work for me. I can't tell what I'm doing wrong either.
Should be fine as it's marketed for the face. If you choose to go this route, I would definitely look up reviews on different brands and obviously do a patch test before going anywhere near your face. It really is just a matter of trial and error and experimentation. But it's totally understandable if you can't get it right. Also I realized I didn't address this but if you do bleach them, opt for a pencil or pomade to fill them in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebbles View Post
I'm facing this problem as well, as I plan to cosplay Zelda this summer, and I have dark brown eyebrows and need to make them look blonde.
Taking dark or black eyebrows are hard and I hate it every time I have to do it but here are my steps:

-Block them out with a white pencil and lightly comb through with a spoolie
-Repeat if they're still really dark
-Pat a pigmented concealer on top and blend the edges out
-Repeat until they're around how light you want them to be
-Set with foundation powder for extra coverage. Load the powder up on a sponge or puff and press into the brows.
-Refine shape with a taupe brow powder. It's important that you use powder and gently press the color on as opposed to swiping it. You don't want to disturb the product underneath and make it all splotchy, which is what would happen with a pencil.

It takes a while and it can look pretty cakey in person but I solve that with a misting of a setting spray. This is the best way I've found for me but I am interested in experimenting with brow mascaras, like I said, just to cut down on the time.

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
micro-babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2016, 05:57 PM   #8
Nebbles
Aspiring Cosplayer

Thank you! While I'm cosplaying Skyward Sword Zelda, who has bangs, I still wanted to make sure my eyebrows were light enough in case they showed. I'll make sure to try that out.
Nebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2016, 08:53 PM   #9
yellowwellies
I love lamp

Thanks so much for your help! For another cosplay I have to have essentially no eyebrows-just the beginning part (no tail) *sigh* have you ever dealt with techniques to handle that before?
Unread 05-16-2016, 09:10 PM   #10
TunaTetrazzini
Beatbox Champion

For covering parts of your eyebrow, I've seen cosplayers use either Kryolan eyebrow wax or just multiple smooth layers of glue stick with cream&powder foundation over it. I see a lot of Gaara and Scanty cosplayers use this technique. For more tips, look up Gaara eyebrows tutorial!

Friday- Vinyl Scratch (My Little Pony)
Saturday- Raven (Teen Titans)
Saturday night-Zone-tan (Z-TV)
Sunday- Fem! Ness (EarthBound/Super Smash Bros)
TunaTetrazzini is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2016, 09:13 PM   #11
Milky Bubbles
(◍•ᴗ•◍)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowwellies View Post
Thanks so much for your help! For another cosplay I have to have essentially no eyebrows-just the beginning part (no tail) *sigh* have you ever dealt with techniques to handle that before?
You can always use the glue stick and concealer technique for this!

Here is one video on how to do it!
And another!

Cover up what you don't want to show and then you can easily draw the part of your brows that you need for the cosplay!
There are so many tutorials on YouTube about eyebrow-related things with cosplay and a simple search(even a vague one) can at least give you a starting point to work from so don't be afraid to ask Google some silly-sounding questions. It might help you more than you think! :>

-Rococo Princess - Sakizou

fυтυrε cσsтυмε(s):
-Classic Sailor Moon - Sailor Moon R
-Rainbow Quartz - Steven Universe

cσмρℓεтε∂ cσsтυмε(s) σf 2016:

cσηvεηтισηs ι αттεη∂/ωιℓℓ вε αттεη∂ιηg:
Animazement - 2016
Milky Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2016, 04:02 PM   #12
Kiramay
Filthy Casual

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro-babe View Post
-Block them out with a white pencil and lightly comb through with a spoolie
-Repeat if they're still really dark
-Pat a pigmented concealer on top and blend the edges out
-Repeat until they're around how light you want them to be
-Set with foundation powder for extra coverage. Load the powder up on a sponge or puff and press into the brows.
-Refine shape with a taupe brow powder. It's important that you use powder and gently press the color on as opposed to swiping it. You don't want to disturb the product underneath and make it all splotchy, which is what would happen with a pencil.
I do something similar for colored eyebrows. It took me a bit of practice to get it the way I wanted it, but even then this really isn't a long or difficult process.
I bought a Nyx Jumbo Eye Pencil (pretty cheap, like less than $5). I was told putting concealer on the brows first helps, but I haven't tried that yet. I run the pencil over and use the spoolie brush to even it out, repeating as necessary. I have a 120 eye shadow palette in all sorts of crazy colors, so I chose to use that because I had it on hand. Picked the color I needed and carefully tabbed it on top of the eye crayon. Set it with a powder and had no problems with it rubbing off at a hot summer con.
Princess Yona (Yona of the Dawn)
Shirayuki (Snow White with the Red Hair)

Last edited by Kiramay : 05-19-2016 at 04:04 PM.
Kiramay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2016, 07:41 PM   #13
Rinner

And if none of that works maybe consider using liquid latex.