Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-06-2015, 08:26 PM   #1
Dreamerwolf

Makeup critique

Hello! I'm hoping to get some critique/feedback on my make up. Despite being almost 40 years old, I've never really learned about makeup or it's applications. I was just never really bothered by it, until I got into cosplay! I've been looking at tutorials online, and my previous cosplays have all had fairly basic makeup...this one requires a bit more. Any tips would be wonderful.

I'm working on a femme version of Lion-0 (Lion-S)

Here are some pics (Camera phone...I took as well as I could) in varying stages:

Stage 1: basic make up, concealer power and contouring

Stage 2: added markings with mehron 'geisha' color

Stage 3: All details and wig. I'm still planning on styling the wig a bit with some spikes I think...crit/ideas on the wig style is welcome too.

-Doctor Who: Femme 11/Femme 4
-'Furry' Tardis, as a cat
-Sarah Jane Smith (SJA)
The Walking Dead - Maggie

Working on:

-Lion-O (Female variant)
Dreamerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-07-2015, 04:51 PM   #2
Rinner

The line under the eye looks out of place (even though it's part of the character). I would recommend lining the lower eye with a thin line of dark liner to have it tie in better. Might be truer to the character as well. Especially if you're trying to make it more feminine. Don't forget to also put makeup on your neck. Especially because you're trying to lighten your chin.

If I was doing makeup for this I would also experiment with more eyebrow shapes and darkness because that's an interesting part of the character design.
Unread 04-07-2015, 08:18 PM   #3
spookehdoom
Batz. Batz O'Hell.

To me, the lines look off-centered but it could be the photo angles. Rinner is on point about it, and I agree. Lining the waterline with a soft pencil+set with coordinating matte shadow will pull it together. Alternatively you could just gently "push" black eyeshadow into your lashes with an angled eye brush so it looks darker on the lower lash line, since I know lining the waterline can be scary since it's so close to the eye.

Also, what do you do for your brows--is it powder, gel+powder, pencil? You could draw in the upswept pointed hairs with a swift, shorthand. It's literally just a flicking motion. You'll want to start at a slight angle, because Lion-O's brow "flicks" are seated at an angle. Practice will help if you arent used to it and the makeup can be wiped off as many times as you need to/want to.

Alternative dyes (Manic Panic, Special Effects) are vegetable dyes and stain. They are not water-based. Don't want to see your hair stained later on? Don't do it.
spookehdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2015, 08:49 PM   #4
Dreamerwolf

Thanks for the tips so far! Waterline...is that what the under eye edge is called? Had no idea. ;P For the eyebrow, I didn't include the 'flicks' because I thought it would look too masculine, (Because to me, they look like bushy brows ;P) but I an give it a try next time. For this attempt, I just made my own brows darker and thicker using black eyeshadow. (I didn't have a pencil at the time...I will get one)

For the brows, do you recommend pencil, or something else?
-Doctor Who: Femme 11/Femme 4
-'Furry' Tardis, as a cat
-Sarah Jane Smith (SJA)
The Walking Dead - Maggie

Working on:

-Lion-O (Female variant)
Dreamerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2015, 08:56 PM   #5
J-Mirakuru
~*Mirakuru*~

It depends on preference for brows, I like to use a pencil because-to me-it looks more natural due to being able to "flick" the pencil to create hair like lines. Eyeshadow is good, too, but it can tend to make the eyebrows look too flat if they are sparce of natural hair already. However, you could do a mixture of both, as well! Makeup is all about experimentation and finding out what your preferences are.

I think you did a great job at the face designs, it looks very natural which makes a nice effect. I agree with what the others said, though, about the eyes. Maybe you could also try making the eyeliner wing on your top eyelid a bit more dramatic so it can read better and look more feminine. Mascara is always a good idea too, you can even layer different kinds if you find it suits your needs!

WORKING ON: 2-Star Goku Uniform Mako; Kill la Kill, Princess Agitha; Legend of Zelda: TP
HISTORY: Maka Albarn; Soul Eater, Anarchy Stocking; P&SwG, Imp Midna; LoZ Twilight Princess, Megpoid Gumi; Vocaloid, Medli; Legend of Zelda Wind Waker, Asuna Yuuki; Sword Art Online
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
Kōhai. Her name is now Kōhai.
J-Mirakuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2015, 01:35 PM   #6
Rinner

I agree with J-Mirakuru about making a wing. It'll look more feminie and more animalistic.

I would also do the liner more dramatic because it's for cosplay. If you're wearing it for a con be mindful that people are going to be at least an arms length away. Making it more dramatic is OK. If it's only for photo shoots then you can sometimes get away with a little more subtlety.

If you're afraid of it looking too masculine you can also throw on some false lashes.