Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 02-06-2016, 12:11 PM   #1
sugako

Wear Contact Lens or Not?

i wanted to know should I wear contact lens for my characters? I really don't know if my eyes can take contact lens, since it's going to be spring for Fanime. Some of them have brown eyes which is my normal color and some have blue-green. Or all together it doesn't really matter, but I know if i do Miku, I will probably need to have the contact, since everyone know her.

Last edited by sugako : 02-07-2016 at 04:50 PM.
sugako is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-07-2016, 02:13 PM   #2
fabrickind
Aspiring Senpai

Get your eyes checked out by an eye doctor first. Get them measured and get a prescription. Make sure you can wear contact lenses first. If you can't afford to do that, then you shouldn't be wearing lenses.

You don't want to get the wrong type of lenses or find out that you have an undiagnosed issue that precludes contact lens use /after/ you start wearing them. You have plenty of time before Fanime to get eye doctor appointments. If you aren't sure if your eyes can take lenses, ask your doctor about any eye issues you may have, especially if it isn't something obvious.

As for whether you need contacts or not? It can add a little bit of something extra, especially with such cutesy characters if you get circle lenses and do makeup for big eyes. But it's not needed at all. A lot of people can't wear lenses for medical reasons or because they're scared of putting them in/taking them out, and no one will judge you for not having lenses because everyone knows this. (And if someone judges you for not having lenses? They're not worth your time, especially since they don't know if you can medically wear them or not.)

Very few people notice eye color anyway. If you are concerns about it and end up not being able to wear lenses, you can always photoshop them later.
fabrickind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2016, 02:18 PM   #3
Blood_Sword
Sword boy!

If you've never worn contacts and you have a lot of questions about it it might be an idea to go to an optician. Besides you could maybe get some trial lenses to try on and figure out if you can wear contacts at all + vision check.

Personally I didn't use contact lenses when I started cosplaying but nowadays I use them for all my cosplays and yes, even those that share the same eye color as me. I just feel like circle lenses (contacts that make your pupil look bigger) really add the final touch to a cosplay and brings it to the next level. But yeah, if you want to wear contacts or not is ultimately up to you to decide and, whatever you choose, it doesn't make you a better or worse cosplayer. Contacts aren't neccessary but I personally think that they do make a difference.
If you're curious about my thoughts about lenses and cosplay I'd really recommend you read this post I made: "Cosplay with circle lenses – Necessary or not?" ^_^

I've also done a post with advice and a do & don't list when it comes to wearing lenses at a con etc. You can find it here: "Contact lenses – The advice and "what not to do" list!"

I hope that's helpful. Feel free to ask me if you have any further questions!
Blood_Sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2016, 04:49 PM   #4
sugako

Thank you, fabrickind and Blood_Sword, you guys are so helpful!
sugako is offline   Reply With Quote