Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 05-31-2016, 11:47 PM   #1
thebatwoman

How to make my boyfriend look less manly/more boyish?

My boyfriend has very masculine features and I'm not really sure how to go about making him look more boyish (like most anime characters seem to be) without going too far in the other direction and making him look feminine. I've tried searching for tutorials and all I've found are videos aimed at women on how to look MORE masculine, which hasn't been much help. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I think the main issues are his eyebrows (very thick), his jaw/chin (more like batman than an anime character), and his nose (not super big or anything, but definitely very masculine.) He's got gorgeous eyelashes and lips, so I don't think I'll have too much trouble in either of those departments.

Thanks in advance.
thebatwoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-01-2016, 12:47 AM   #2
PSY-chan
Human Bubblewrap

Exactly how boyish we talking here? If you need him to look younger, you could try looking up "pretty boy bishonen" type makeup tutorials for contouring and highlighting tips to reshape his features. There are also methods for covering eyebrows and redrawing them with makeup. But if you're hoping to make him look like a child, I don't think you can do too much there.

Last edited by PSY-chan : 06-01-2016 at 12:50 AM.
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2016, 08:26 AM   #3
12WolfZ
Tiger! Tiger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSY-chan View Post
Exactly how boyish we talking here? If you need him to look younger, you could try looking up "pretty boy bishonen" type makeup tutorials for contouring and highlighting tips to reshape his features. There are also methods for covering eyebrows and redrawing them with makeup.
I'm sorry but so much no no no no no NOOOOOO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebatwoman View Post
I'm not really sure how to go about making him look more boyish (like most anime characters seem to be) without going too far in the other direction and making him look feminine. I've tried searching for tutorials and all I've found are videos aimed at women on how to look MORE masculine, which hasn't been much help.
I feel for you. The only tutorials out there for guy cosplay makeup are made by girls, especially on youtube. With all due respect to them, their ideas are not helpful for actual guys, just girls who want to look like anime guys. That's not what ACTUAL GUYS need.

Honestly hun as a guy who puts effort into cosplay makeup, this is not something you can force without him looking silly in the end. Get his eyebrows trimmed, waxed/threaded. Find the right foundation for him. Then step back and see what you have. If there's potential somewhere you'll see it at that point. But I do think you need to start simple with dudes.

The only other thing you could try is to search drag queen makeup stuff. They might have some additional tips that could turn out surprisingly helpful.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Aferjackcosplayz

Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdV...fgPL9mNxnCGgRw
12WolfZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2016, 11:17 AM   #4
PSY-chan
Human Bubblewrap

@12WolfZ: I'm not sure why you're against my advice. Contouring and highlighting as well as covering eyebrows is something Sylar from Aicosu does all the time (they were guests at this year's Fanime and I attended their makeup panel).
Unread 06-01-2016, 12:17 PM   #5
12WolfZ
Tiger! Tiger!

Quote:
@12WolfZ: I'm not sure why you're against my advice.
Because I disagree with it; for the reasons I have already stated.

Could I have been less blunt about my feelings? Probably. But I left a very real reply. Hashtag first world problems. I get poster's struggle.

Youtube:

Last edited by 12WolfZ : 06-01-2016 at 12:29 PM.
Unread 06-01-2016, 04:14 PM   #6
Rinner

I would imagine that you could change the way the cheek bones look by highlighting and contouring. I know this tut is aimed at women but the same principals would apply. [1] You can always alter it to meet your need (like ignoring the lip thing).

In this example ( i looked up puberty photos since you didn't mention how young - here's a range!) you can see how the face shape changes. Look up makeup techniques to dull the most apparent parts of your guy. Maybe even look at his childhood photos to make it suit his face type.

Try googleing 'how to change face shape with makeup' or 'how to change face shape with contouring' for examples. Lots are aimed at ladies but you can always make it work for a guy! [Here's one example if you need it]
Unread 06-01-2016, 05:59 PM   #7
Lilin
The Cat

Are you against makeup and contouring? I'm confused. Because that's your best bet. Finding tutorials that will round out his face and also smooth out his skin of the natural pits in the skin that are caused by facial hair. Pluck the eye brows too
Unread 06-01-2016, 07:32 PM   #8
micro-babe
Five Feet of POWAH!

Honestly highlighting and contouring really is your best bet for trying to change one's face shape. I don't totally get 12WolfZ's opposition. But you have to make sure the contouring is light. Rely more on the highlighting than the contouring. Kid's faces don't have as much definition as an adult's face. And since most of the tutorials are for women, you really have to experiment. It's going to result in a lot of mistakes and a lot of awkward looking makeups but if you really want to make his face look younger, this is pretty necessary. Pick, choose, and edit the techniques shown to work for your boyfriend's face. And at the end of the day, if it doesn't work out, there's no harm in cosplaying without trying to look younger or more boyish.

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt

Last edited by micro-babe : 06-01-2016 at 07:34 PM.
micro-babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2016, 01:06 PM   #9
12WolfZ
Tiger! Tiger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilin View Post
Finding tutorials that will round out his face and also smooth out his skin of the natural pits in the skin that are caused by facial hair. Pluck the eye brows too
I agree with this. Even things out, maintain the brows. Why do I need contouring for this?

Foundation + eyebrow maintenance. Simple. Does everything you say here. I agree, start here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro-babe View Post
Honestly highlighting and contouring really is your best bet for trying to change one's face shape. I don't totally get 12WolfZ's opposition. But you have to make sure the contouring is light. Rely more on the highlighting than the contouring.
So contouring is her best bet, but she should do more highlighting than contouring to soften the contouring? Sounds like we're just cancelling everything out. Maybe we should just skip both steps to start off.

Quote:
Kid's faces don't have as much definition as an adult's face. And since most of the tutorials are for women, you really have to experiment. It's going to result in a lot of mistakes and a lot of awkward looking makeups but if you really want to make his face look younger, this is pretty necessary.
So you admit that it's gonna be really cumbersome, and there are very few reliable resources on how to do this, and the makeup is going to look awkward until she gets good at it, but it's still essential?

Quote:
Pick, choose, and edit the techniques shown to work for your boyfriend's face. And at the end of the day, if it doesn't work out, there's no harm in cosplaying without trying to look younger or more boyish.
I don't think we're that far off tbh. I just think this person should start here and work into what you're talking about as she sees fit. In my opinion, it does not help this person to suggest they START by looking for tutorials on a cosmetic skill that is really HARD, might not even do what she needs, and (we admit) may not even exist for what she is looking for. That's what I disagree with. Start simple, see what you got, work up. That's all I am saying.

Youtube:

Last edited by 12WolfZ : 06-02-2016 at 01:11 PM.
Unread 06-02-2016, 01:14 PM   #10
PSY-chan
Human Bubblewrap

I'm baffled as to why you're so against a technique that actually works, but I think it may because you are not skilled at it. It would be like me arguing with the prop builders and experts in the prop forum when I myself have almost no prop building experience. Baffling.
Unread 06-02-2016, 02:08 PM   #11
TeaForThought
Knows nothing

Okay ladies and gents, just to clear things up...there are resources for contouring for guys.
While they're not as prominent as those geared towards women, they do exist.
And they do work.

Here are two videos, for example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekn2qMmE8j0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EB1uGzGVqU

This is also just a general guide for makeup application with tips

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0e333e54bf3eb

I don't know how or where the issue here started, but like all things, it is trial and error and a lot of practice to find what does or does not work for the look you're trying to achieve.

Hopefully these help.
Thou canst not then be false to any man.”

~Tea is wisdom, just add water~
TeaForThought is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2016, 04:39 PM   #12
12WolfZ
Tiger! Tiger!

Quote:
I'm baffled as to why you're so against a technique that actually works, but I think it may because you are not skilled at it.
Yup, it's definitely a hard skill. But, you're still so missing my point. I totally disagree with contouring as a fix all means to make a manly face more boyish. You have what you have, only plastic surgery will change your face. Maybe there are some professional makeup people out there who can perform a facelift with face gunk, but the rest of us are mortal. Simple first and then make big decisions about more complex stuff. I said what I thought would be helpful. I happened to comment on what I thought would not be helpful this time. Nothing more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaForThought View Post
Hopefully these help.
That first one is sick. You could literally just try those and see what it looks like, probably the most useful how to mantour video I have seen.

Youtube:
Unread 06-02-2016, 05:01 PM   #13
PSY-chan
Human Bubblewrap

Discouraging people from trying new techniques doesn't help them. And a dude applying foundation only is not going to change his appearance much, which is why so many of us recommend subtle highlighting and contouring. And calling it "face gunk" makes you seem resentful of how useful makeup is to cosplayers (and people, and performers, and drag artists, and...). No one here wants OP's boyfriend to look bad in his cosplay, quite the opposite in fact. And encouraging people to experiment with makeup leads to a lot of "a-ha!" moments, not simply frustration.

Best of luck OP, hopefully some of this great advice will help!
Unread 06-02-2016, 05:05 PM   #14
micro-babe
Five Feet of POWAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12WolfZ View Post
I agree with this. Even things out, maintain the brows. Why do I need contouring for this?

Foundation + eyebrow maintenance. Simple. Does everything you say here. I agree, start here.

So contouring is her best bet, but she should do more highlighting than contouring to soften the contouring? Sounds like we're just cancelling everything out. Maybe we should just skip both steps to start off.

So you admit that it's gonna be really cumbersome, and there are very few reliable resources on how to do this, and the makeup is going to look awkward until she gets good at it, but it's still essential?

I don't think we're that far off tbh. I just think this person should start here and work into what you're talking about as she sees fit. In my opinion, it does not help this person to suggest they START by looking for tutorials on a cosmetic skill that is really HARD, might not even do what she needs, and (we admit) may not even exist for what she is looking for. That's what I disagree with. Start simple, see what you got, work up. That's all I am saying.

1. Highlighting doesn't negate contouring. Contouring recedes areas while highlighting brings areas forward. You don't highlight the same areas you contour. When you want to really carve in your cheek bones, you don't just contour the hollows. You highlight the high points. The opposite is also true. I'm saying that the contour should be light in color and well blended as I find a heavy contour provides an obviously more severe look that children just don't have in their faces.

2. I'm saying what will be cumbersome is figuring out where to place the colors as I don't know of any tutorials to link to her to provide as a reference and that anything she tries will require a good amount of practice. It's not like I was a pro at eyeliner when I was 14. The only reason I can do a wing, which some people consider to be a hard skill, is because of practice.

I do agree that a heavy face of makeup on a guy can look a little harsh and I definitely don't think they should run out and buy super heavy products. My contour is just a lightweight powder and it's honestly a hard skill to do some basic contour and highlighting. Just something that needs to be practiced. It definitely can work and it doesn't have to look heavy like you're implying. The tutorials that TeaForThought linked to is definitely a good example of that.

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
micro-babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2016, 01:54 PM   #15
12WolfZ
Tiger! Tiger!

Quote:
I do agree that a heavy face of makeup on a guy can look a little harsh.
Preach it, sister.

Quote:
Discouraging people from trying new techniques doesn't help them. And a dude applying foundation only is not going to change his appearance much, which is why so many of us recommend subtle highlighting and contouring.
A dude applying any kind of makeup is not going to "change his appearance". If you think this shows a lack of knowledge about makeup, that's your call to make and offer for critique in that moment. My experience with makeup has suggested to me that the more we go that route the more things look weird and off. You will always be able to see yourself in a character. You can't fully become another person, and the number of people with the capacity to get as close as possible is always going to be small (for several reasons). I believe we make better decisions, even on more high level makeup jobs when we come to terms with this. It's true, I decided for myself a long time ago that I didn't like how extravagant makeup looked, felt and I have always practiced a simple approach to cosplay makeup. Maybe that changes somewhere on the horizon. For now, I feel strongly about it. I agree that it shapes my advice, but I disagree that it invalidates it. That's real. I hope others can say the same.

Quote:
And calling it "face gunk" makes you seem resentful of how useful makeup is to cosplayers (and people, and performers, and drag artists, and...).
That's your opinion. I enjoy belittling the things that I take seriously a bit. I think it's a healthy contradiction to keep. I don't find that I have much common ground with people who get offended by that sort of stuff. They do not have to come to my birthday party if they don't want to.

Quote:
No one here wants OP's boyfriend to look bad in his cosplay, quite the opposite in fact. And encouraging people to experiment with makeup leads to a lot of "a-ha!" moments, not simply frustration.

Best of luck OP, hopefully some of this great advice will help!
The body of Geist, Amen.

Youtube:

Last edited by 12WolfZ : 06-05-2016 at 01:58 PM.