Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 07-17-2014, 01:34 PM   #1
ArcaneSpringbrd

Victorian Doll makeup test

It's getting closer...and I've learned about smudging lipstick. :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-07-17 11-28-37.593.jpg (142.1 KB, 0 views)

2015 Cosplay
---------------------
Lolita Doll
Scarlett O'Hara prayer dress
ArcaneSpringbrd is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-17-2014, 04:06 PM   #2
lelechan

It may just be the lighting with the wig, but it seems your freckles may not be quite symmetrical. I'd also recommend doing a bit of white eyeliner on your lower waterline to give yourself more round/wide/doll-like looking eyes (if you haven't already, it's a little hard to tell in the photo). But other than that it looks great! I love the shape of the lipstick.
lelechan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2014, 04:10 PM   #3
ArcaneSpringbrd

I did use some white eyeliner on the waterline, but it was pretty light.

One other thing I'm wondering is that my foundation seemed very cakey to me. I'm using Ben Nye cream foundation, yet when I see pictures of well, just about anyone wearing makeup it's so smooth.

Is that because a) I'm male, b) I'm over 40, c) photos tend to smooth out imperfections because of resolution?

Would a primer help?

2015 Cosplay
---------------------
Lolita Doll
Unread 07-17-2014, 04:42 PM   #4
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

First off, what are you hoping to achieve with this makeup? Do you want to look cute? Creepy? Sophisticated? Having a direction will help you and us in our critiques.

As for the cakey foundation, yes you need some kind of primer underneath, either regular moisturizer or face primer. I'd start with moisturizer. It also helps to know how you're applying it; fingers or sponge or brush. Fingers are great cause they warm up the product, and a flat-top brush can help smooth it into the skin. At 40, your skin wont look as smooth as a 21 year old's, so don't worry too much about perfection there

My critiques:
1) I would look into subtly contouring your cheeks and jawline. Your lower and upper face are out of balance, so that should help. Here's a great diagram for tips and placement, which I think will work for your face. 2) I would make the freckles more natural, right now they seem too perfectly placed. Don't draw them below the level of your nostrils. 3) Play around with the pigmentation of blush, right now it looks uneven in opacity and placement. 4) Winged liner/shadow wasn't really a thing for Victorians. The eye makeup probably needs 1-2 lighter shades to blend with the dark color, so the transition between your skin and eyes looks more gradual (don't know if that makes sense). 5) Smudging lipstick is super annoying

Hope some of this helps/is what you're looking for!
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2014, 12:05 PM   #5
ArcaneSpringbrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSY-chan View Post
First off, what are you hoping to achieve with this makeup? Do you want to look cute? Creepy? Sophisticated? Having a direction will help you and us in our critiques.
I'm wanting to look cute.

Quote:

As for the cakey foundation, yes you need some kind of primer underneath, either regular moisturizer or face primer. I'd start with moisturizer. It also helps to know how you're applying it; fingers or sponge or brush. Fingers are great cause they warm up the product, and a flat-top brush can help smooth it into the skin. At 40, your skin wont look as smooth as a 21 year old's, so don't worry too much about perfection there
I tried using a sponge and then fingers but both of those techniques seemed to spread the foundation in a non-smooth manner. I could see skin through parts, while others were well covered.

I did get success using a foundation brush though.

Quote:

My critiques:
1) I would look into subtly contouring your cheeks and jawline. Your lower and upper face are out of balance, so that should help. Here's a great diagram for tips and placement, which I think will work for your face. 2) I would make the freckles more natural, right now they seem too perfectly placed. Don't draw them below the level of your nostrils. 3) Play around with the pigmentation of blush, right now it looks uneven in opacity and placement. 4) Winged liner/shadow wasn't really a thing for Victorians. The eye makeup probably needs 1-2 lighter shades to blend with the dark color, so the transition between your skin and eyes looks more gradual (don't know if that makes sense). 5) Smudging lipstick is super annoying

Hope some of this helps/is what you're looking for!
Yep, that helps! I'm going to try going a bit darker shade so I'm not quite so white, which will then allow me to use the Ben Nye Simple White as a highlight. I forgot to use my countour foundation so tried using my countour powder, which I've found is really hard to blend.

2015 Cosplay
---------------------
Lolita Doll
Unread 07-18-2014, 04:26 PM   #6
Creative Genius
feelin' nerdy

Dolls generally arnt white. they have a very light skin tone but still a peachy skin color.
I would recommend doing more of a natural face than straight white.

NDK Cosplay list:
Sailor Cosmos - sailor moon
Secret WCS cosplay <3
season one sailor moon (husband as Tuxedo Mask <3)
and maaaaybe FEM!Lucifer from supernatural
Creative Genius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2014, 12:32 AM   #7
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

Cute, eh? Then yeah I would ditch the winged eye makeup for something the hugs the outline of your eyes. Also, I wouldn't use so much dark eye makeup; throw in some lighter, matte shades. This tutorial looks nice, might give you some more ideas to experiment with. Go easier/lighter on the blush application, too, like in the video. For an extra pop of color, apply to the roundest parts of the cheeks. If the foundation brush is working for you, then you don't need to do anything differently.
Unread 07-22-2014, 09:05 AM   #8
LemonVanilla

Dude, you need gradient lips, ultimate doll-like lips imo

Here's one of the first tutorials I found http://justsephierojas.blogspot.no/2...et-korean.html
LemonVanilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2014, 01:15 PM   #9
ArcaneSpringbrd

Will give that a try next time!

2015 Cosplay
---------------------
Lolita Doll
Unread 07-22-2014, 01:17 PM   #10
ArcaneSpringbrd

Okay here's the latest. I know there's a couple of mistakes I've made.

I continue to have a couple of problems though. The first is that when I try to use an eyeliner pencil to put on say, my eyebrows, all it does is either get the foundation transfered to the pencil and then not actually draw anything, so it just makes a gouge in the foundation/glue.

The other problem is one I just came up with that is similar. I tried using a jumbo eye crayon in Milk to make the eyes bigger below my eyes, but again the foundation was just getting transfered onto the crayon instead of the other way around.

Not sure about the eyeshadow colors, but I wore the bodice to show what it looks like. I know I need to change up where I put the eyeshadow too.

2015 Cosplay
---------------------
Lolita Doll
Unread 07-22-2014, 01:18 PM   #11
ArcaneSpringbrd

I guess a photo would be useful. :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-07-22 10-55-02.512.jpg (160.0 KB, 0 views)

2015 Cosplay
---------------------
Lolita Doll
Unread 07-22-2014, 03:58 PM   #12
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

First off, the freckles look better! Here are some of my opinions:

1) The placement of blush is too low. Put it about 3/4 of an inch higher.
2) Liner for brows will disrupt creme. I would opt for powder applied with an angled brush. Draw small strokes, placing the powder instead of dragging it. Also, you may not need to draw them in so high, so some experimenting may be in order.
3) The dark product on the top lid closes off your eyes visually; cute makeup is typically about making the eyes look bigger. I would switch to a different color altogether (maybe dark brown). This tutorial demonstrates what I think is happening with your makeup. Her big eyes makeup is a little 1960's, but the techniques should give you some ideas to play with.
4) The lower eye makeup placement doesn't look natural, because it's not close to your lash line. One option would be to do your eyes before face, and see if that solves the disruption going on. I would ditch those bottom lashes, you don't need the Bianca del Rio look. Use accent or individual lashes (or both) instead.
5) For the lips, if you want to create a cool shape, such as a heart, the lines need to be consistent between top and bottom. You drew a heart on the upper lip, and a polygon on the lower. Otherwise, the poster above has cool recommendation about gradient lips, which will give you a cute mouth.
6) Remember to blend foundation into your throat and neck, unless you want to stark change in color between them and your face.

Sorry for another wall of text!
Unread 07-22-2014, 06:50 PM   #13
ArcaneSpringbrd

Not at all! Wall of text is better than no wall of text. :-)

I'm thinking of using either pink or peach eyeshadow. What do you think?

2015 Cosplay
---------------------
Lolita Doll
Unread 07-22-2014, 08:05 PM   #14
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

Yes! All of my yeses! Makeup Geek, Inglot, and NYX have some nice matte shadow singles, as well as palettes (if you're looking for options). I would say pink or peach, ivory (for highlight), and mid tone brown or darker pink (for contour). Nix the black liner and brows, go with dark brown instead. Softer tones will look better for this cosplay.
Unread 07-22-2014, 08:21 PM   #15
ArcaneSpringbrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSY-chan View Post
Yes! All of my yeses! Makeup Geek, Inglot, and NYX have some nice matte shadow singles, as well as palettes (if you're looking for options). I would say pink or peach, ivory (for highlight), and mid tone brown or darker pink (for contour). Nix the black liner and brows, go with dark brown instead. Softer tones will look better for this cosplay.
Are you still talking about eyeshadow here? Or are you talking about face contours?

Not sure what you'd mean as far as contours go for eye makeup.

2015 Cosplay
---------------------
Lolita Doll