Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-06-2015, 01:13 PM   #1
Kitsuko

Getting Over a Fear of Contacts/Eye Touching?

O-okay this is probably really strange and I'm sorry if there are threads like this already...

So I have a relatively bad fear when it comes to eye touching and things in my eyes which makes contacts nerve wracking for me. Normally I shrug off contacts for cosplays anyways because I just don't think they're needed for most characters and are only a bonus. However I recently fell in love with a character that I feel would just look weird being portrayed without the right eye color. I could cosplay her regardless, but I know I won't be fully happy with the outcome.

Surely I'm not the only one who has had this problem? How does one get over something like this? Any tips at all would be great. ;n; I really want to get over this fear.

Also, another issue I'll have is if I can get over this fear, I recall being told my eyes aren't fully round or something like that-- I definitely need to check back in with my eye doc before getting any contacts of course. So if what I recall is true, would I need special contacts and where would I acquire them? I don't go to eye doctors often because they scare me due to my eye touching fear, but I am far sighted and sometimes wear my glasses like I'm supposed to. Sometimes.

Here's a picture of the character by the way: http://www.cosplayisland.co.uk/files...1379222556.png

Thank you guys, sorry for troubling you all. ;u;
Kitsuko is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-06-2015, 01:40 PM   #2
Rinner

Tips to overcome fear of inserting contact lenses.

Talk to your optometrist about it as well. Find out if you're able to wear contacts. And ask your optometrist about specifically what kind of contacts you need. Generally you can also buy colored contacts through your optometrist. Although that is a pretty unique eye color that character has.

If you want you can also find the ideal contacts online and bring in all the information about it (like print out the information page) and the optometrist can help you decide if they will work for your eyes.
Unread 02-06-2015, 02:46 PM   #3
Kitsuko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinner View Post
Tips to overcome fear of inserting contact lenses.

Talk to your optometrist about it as well. Find out if you're able to wear contacts. And ask your optometrist about specifically what kind of contacts you need. Generally you can also buy colored contacts through your optometrist. Although that is a pretty unique eye color that character has.

If you want you can also find the ideal contacts online and bring in all the information about it (like print out the information page) and the optometrist can help you decide if they will work for your eyes.
That site is very helpful. ;u; Thank you.

But yeah, I need to definitely talk to my optometrist, I recall being told that if I chose to wear contacts that I could wear them, but I think they had to special order me some due to my eye shape? So I'm not even sure if I could wear them for cosplay considering I doubt there will be many options as far as colors go. Top that with the fact that I have brown eyes and that limits my options even further if I'm not mistaken. Ugh. ;n; Who knows though, maybe my memory is off. I was told this over 10 years ago and rarely visit the Optometrist regularly like I should.

As for the character, that's precisely why I feel contacts might be needed to "complete" the costume if I were to cosplay her. The eyes are a signature trait of vampires in the series and it would feel weird to go without. Normally I could care less about contacts for cosplay, but in this case... I don't know, it would seem strange to go without. I also like it for it's "spooky" factor of the eyes in the series.

I'm not even sure how common contacts like that would be? Black rimmed with a bit of red in the middle? I know red is common, but I'm not sure if I can even find ones that specific. I could probably get away with just red or black if needed though, sometimes in the series they don't even have that red part there and Megumi's natural eye color from when she was human was red oddly enough.
Unread 02-06-2015, 02:50 PM   #4
lelechan

In order to get the proper look for that particular character, you would need sclera lenses. Sclera lenses are larger than standard contact lenses, which make them harder to put in/take out than standard-sized lenses. Sclera lenses are significantly more expensive than standard lenses as well (at least the good ones are--if you're paying less than $100 I would be concerned about quality). If you have the money and time, you can order custom sclera lenses in your prescription so that you don't need to worry about your glasses or having imperfect vision, once you have approval from your eye doctor.
lelechan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2015, 03:11 PM   #5
Kitsuko

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelechan View Post
In order to get the proper look for that particular character, you would need sclera lenses. Sclera lenses are larger than standard contact lenses, which make them harder to put in/take out than standard-sized lenses. Sclera lenses are significantly more expensive than standard lenses as well (at least the good ones are--if you're paying less than $100 I would be concerned about quality). If you have the money and time, you can order custom sclera lenses in your prescription so that you don't need to worry about your glasses or having imperfect vision, once you have approval from your eye doctor.
I could possibly hopefully work around that too-- there are some parts in the series where her eyes aren't so big and her iris is normal sized with the whites of her eyes showing quite a bit. Well... Normal sized by anime eye standards. Though man, those contacts sound so cool. They also sound really scary as far as my eye touching fear goes so I'm uncertain if I'd want those. Are there risks to those sorts of contacts as well? I mean, I know there are risks with ALL contacts, but any to be concerned about with those types in case I do decide to go that route? I have the funds for them, though I'm not sure if I'm willing to fork out that much for something if it comes with high chance health risks. Granted obviously I would only buy stuff like that with an optometrist's approval to prevent such horrors.

Though the outfit of hers I'm working on will be really cheap/easy so at least there's that. If I did spend money on it, it wouldn't be the end of the world either.

Sorry for being so difficult. xD Thank you guys for being patient with me.
Unread 02-06-2015, 03:11 PM   #6
Rinner

Don't forget - you can also edit your photos after the fact. If you have photoshop you can use this tutorial (or similar since there are lots out there). If you don't have photoshop or the money for photoshop then use pixlr.com which has a lot of the same functions!

As lelechan stated - it's likely you will only find that style in sclera lenses. If I was you I would find the lenses you want or options and let the optometrist help you decide what will work best for you.
Unread 02-06-2015, 04:03 PM   #7
lelechan

http://www.fxeyes.com/ has both sclera and standard lenses, and they do custom lens painting. Their lenses are also FDA approved so you need to have a contact lens prescription from an optometrist to order, even if you're getting plano (no prescription) lenses. You might be able to contact them to get a quote on custom standard lenses.
lelechan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2015, 02:41 PM   #8
Akiyhrah
She-Geek extraordinaire

In my experience, lenses are something that other cosplayers tend to overlook if they are missing, due to the fact that there are many people who cannot wear them for various reasons. I myself can't wear them, so I usually edit my photos if I want to have a specific eye colour for a character. So if you can't afford them, can't get over the fear of touching your eye, or can't find what you are looking for, don't sweat it!

[C|O|S|P|L|A|Y]
My anti-drug.
Akiyhrah is online now   Reply With Quote