Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 02-04-2016, 10:57 PM   #1
sf8080

How To Change My Whole Body Colour

Hi can someone tell me the best way to change the colour of my whole body? I was assuming food dye would be the best way, but isn't there anything better that is definitely not bad for the skin, even when used regularly, and also easy to wash?

Also I need it to feel like human skin so I don't know if paint would be usable, this is quite important so can someone tell me what skin feels like after its dyed/painted?

Last edited by sf8080 : 02-04-2016 at 11:00 PM.
sf8080 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-05-2016, 10:13 AM   #2
ManneQuinn

Body paint is probably the safest way to achieve this! I'd also suggest only covering the skin that will actually be shown as your skin needs some uncovered areas to be able to breathe.

As for the feel of skin after it's painted, there isn't too much of a difference but it mostly depends on the paint used and sealing methods. I'm quite the fan of Mehron Aquacolor as it seals really well, has an excellent range of colours and is very quick and easy to wash off as it's water based. If you use the Mehron setting powder, the paint stays on very well in my experience and only transfers when rubbing against something rough.

Can I ask why you need to change the colour of your skin? It'll help to give advice more suitable for your use.
Tali (Mass Effect 2 default ver) : Sourcing Materials
Chat Noir (Miraculous Ladybug) : Sourcing Materials

ManneQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2016, 12:11 PM   #3
ebanks90

Def don't dye your whole body with food coloring!! You will be stained for a while!! ManneQuinn is right in that it will feel/ look like human skin depending on the type of body paint you use. I prefer water based paint because it is very light on the skin, doesnt irritate it, and wont smudge or rub off on my costume or other people. My favorite brand of water based paint is FAB and you can get it here.

It is very easy to put on the skin and it comes off with soap and water or makeup remover, unlike food coloring which will just dye your skin. Here is a great tutorial on how to cover your whole body in water based paint. You use a kabuki brush in a circular motion and the paint covers your skin evenly so it looks just like human skin, just a different color. I use final seal before and after I apply the paint so that it seals the paint and it wont smudge or come off until I want it to!

Hope this helps D
ebanks90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2016, 12:55 PM   #4
kandell

For all-over body paint that has a skin-like texture, I would recommend PAX paint. It's made by mixing acrylic paint with an adhesive, so it works like a second skin. You'll want to make sure that everywhere you'll be painted is either shaved or waxed, otherwise you'll be in a lot of pain during removal. DO NOT use PAX on your face. It's actually dangerous to have it covering too much of your body. For my Scanty, I used PAX for the body and Mehron liquid face paint for my face, and blended it at the neck.

You'll want to do 2-4 coats to make sure you get consistent coloring and thick enough layers that it won't tear or peel badly. And DEFINITELY make sure you set it with plenty of baby powder. It will pale out your paint a little bit, but if you don't, you'll stick to things and it will peel the paint off.
Facebook
AC Paradise
Twitter
kandell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2016, 02:53 PM   #5
ManneQuinn

I just want to say a little thing about PAX paint. There are many cosplayers who swear by the stuff, absolutely tons who recommend it over anything else. That being said, the acrylic paint used to mix with has to be non-toxic and even then, the most recommended brand Liquitex, has said that the non-toxic label only applies to the paint being used on skin in small amounts for short lengths of time. They don't recommend the use of their paint for PAX.

It's still ultimately your choice but it's best to know the safety risks involved. I haven't personally heard of any bad experiences with PAX, other than the chore of taking it off (which can hurt and cause redness because of how rough you sometimes have to be to remove it) however, it's better to know what you're getting into.
Tali (Mass Effect 2 default ver) : Sourcing Materials
Chat Noir (Miraculous Ladybug) : Sourcing Materials

ManneQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2016, 05:12 PM   #6
sf8080

Here's the thing... I need to cover my entire body. Using paint for that is probably not a great idea like you said. Are there any other options, is it safe to dye one's whole body?

The purpose of this is to hopefully make myself chroma key (meaning green screened) so that I will not appear in a video. I know about greensuits, but they're not an option in this case. Hope you understand what Im talking about lol
sf8080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2016, 06:40 PM   #7
fabrickind
Aspiring Senpai

Water-based paint should be okay for full-body use, though it would take forever.

Alcohol-activated paint would also be okay, but can't be used near mucous membranes and is much more expensive.

If you need full-body coverage (I'm imagining nudity being involved), an airbrush application would be your best bet in terms of both time and coverage. You want something that can be as opaque as possible for the green screen, which even if you could safely dye your skin, it won't be even or opaque enough to work. Not sure if body paint would work either, but it would be a better option, and you can always test it.

Since it's for a video shoot, would a liquid latex paint work? I've never tried it, and I'm not sure how well it would work over your whole body and with the green screen, but latex is often used in fetishwear and could be an option here. You'd have to fully shave first, and the stuff tends to peel off your skin easily, but if you are only wearing it for a short period for a shoot (as in, there's no danger of it peeling off in a con setting, or danger of wearing it all day and not letting your skin breathe), it might work.
Would a full latex suit work, instead of a fabric zentai suit? It would be pricey, but you seem to be dancing around there being a sexual component to this shoot, and they are usually made for that purpose. (Unless there's another reason why fabric covering is not an option but you still need full-body coverage that feels like skin, but are hesitant to say what you are actually doing.)
fabrickind is offline   Reply With Quote