Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 05-11-2016, 06:05 PM   #1
Irarenovo
cheesecake!

First time with body & face paint

Hello there!

I'm going to be cosplaying this character in hot and humid july
http://st.elohell.net/public/chill/b...70637e045f.jpg

I feel that I need to use some blue paint for the upper chest / arms / face [will have claws / gloves] but I'm not sure if I'm looking at the right things.

So far I put this in my amazon cart:
http://www.amazon.com/Ben-Nye-Creme-...=A8MT11FONA2RA

http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Transl...=A8MT11FONA2RA

http://www.amazon.com/Ben-Nye-Final-...A3K2CV4DFD4I9N

I also saw that some people use Kabuki brushes but some of the cheaper options are "synthetic" and I'm not sure if there is a difference >_<

I'm also having trouble finding any other 'ben nye' blue paint on amazon. I'd like a darker blue to go with it[flame looking things on arms / face], but unsure if you can mix brands? or maybe I should look at a different store :\

I'm also not sure how much paint I need to buy x_x would one "cake" work or should I get 2 ?

I'm very nervous about the blue paint rubbing off on my white dress. I'm going to have massive wings in summer so I think I'll sweat a lot :\ I was almost thinking of not "fully coating" the light blue coverage, and lightly applying it like a tint? More like zombie skin I guess? Not sure if a different product would give a better result if I went that way. I want to represent her well but also not have the dress be half blue before the judges see my work :|

Unread 05-11-2016, 06:48 PM   #2
josplay
Josplay

I've used two different brands of body paint, Ben Nye and Snazzaroo. Both of these were applied with makeup sponges, I've never used a brush so idk about that.
If you're having trouble finding the right color you could try buying 2 colors and mixing them, but I only did this to get a lighter color (mixed white and grey to get a lighter grey), so I'm not sure about trying to get a darker color.
I think one cake should do with what you want to paint, but get two if you're worried about not having enough.

The first time I used body paint I used Ben Nye, and I'm not sure if it was just me, but it tended to rub off on things even with using a powder and their Final Seal. I then switched to a water-activated paint by the brand Snazzaroo. With Snazzaroo the paint dried on my skin and didn't rub off as easily. As a water-based makeup it will probably come off easily with liquid. I live in Florida and cosplayed in the heat and humidity, but I don't remember sweating my makeup off, though it was a few years ago. I was wearing a white cosplay with the Snazzaroo makeup and I don't remember it rubbing off on it.

If it isn't time sensitive don't be afraid to do more research on different body paints and what other cosplayers have used and see what might work best for you.

Last edited by josplay : 05-11-2016 at 06:53 PM.
josplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2016, 07:58 PM   #3
Irarenovo
cheesecake!

thank you, I will look at that brand too!
Unread 05-12-2016, 08:21 AM   #4
Charlemagne
Champion of Kirkwall

If you're looking for good theatrical makeup brands with staying power, I have a list of products and brands for you. These brands are meant to stand up to active wear under hot stage lights, and I've never had a problem with them in Texas heat or on stage when I've done applications.

Some are cream makeups, which tend to be oil based, and some are water based.

You've mentioned Ben Nye, and this brand is the most inexpensive (but no less quality) theatrical makeup. They have cream makeup and aqua colors. You would apply the cream with makeup sponges, and the aqua colors with a paintbrush. After applying your makeup in whatever fashion you want, you will set both with setting powder for several seconds, then brush off the powder, and set with Final Seal. Minor reapplication over the course of the day in high friction places MAY occur.

http://www.norcostco.com/search.aspx?find=ben+nye

Then there is my personal preferred brand, Mehron! Mehron comes in similar styles, the cream based makeup and the water based. I prefer highly their Paradise Makeup AQ, which is a water based makeup that comes in a wide variety of colors. After setting with setting powder and final seal, I never had to reapply once, and I was doing a full body coverage!

http://www.norcostco.com/mehron-paradise-aq.aspx is the makeup itself.

The other known brand I find readily is Kryolan, and it's the most expensive. They have cream and water based, but I love their aqua colors! The same application rules apply, setting powder and final seal after application.

http://www.norcostco.com/kryolan-face-body.aspx

I used to use Snazaroo when I did face painting for children at Michaels as an associate, and I am not a fan of it for hard wearing cosplay applications.

I hope this helps!! Ultimately, it comes down to what brand you prefer the feel of, and what works best for you. I recommend experimenting!!

Hawke - Dragon Age (100%)
Neo Queen Serenity - Sailor Moon (Planned)
Leliana (Winter Palace) - Dragon Age (Planned)

Obi-Wan Kenobi - Star Wars (Planned)
Warden King Alistair - Dragon Age (10%)
Padme Amidala (Loyalist Committee Gown) - Star Wars (Planned)
Eowyn - Lord of the Rings (Planned)
Charlemagne is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2016, 02:33 PM   #5
Viveeh
mango puff

Grimas is another pretty good brand. Also I don't see why you couldn't mix different brands or paint.

Definitely get a kabuki brush. I'm not sure but some other big brushes might work too. Just make sure you really get the color in your skin.

Do a makeup test before your con to see what works for you and if any paint rubs off. The worst danger zone when it comes to body paint are your hands so it's good you'll be wearing gloves. Much less to worry about.
Journey Traveler

Support me
My Instagram
Viveeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2016, 06:06 PM   #6
Irarenovo
cheesecake!

!! I forgot about my post :|

thank you for the additional advice, I did end up buying Mehron paint, the paradise kind you suggested, because it came in a lighter blue and darker blue. Very happy it worked well for you, hopefully it will work for mee!

in general, makeup tends to melt off my face so also looking forward to trying final seal, lots of good reviews on that stuff. maybe it will fix all my makeup issues

I did find a kabuki brush, and may look locally for a few makeup brushes for the details

thanks for all your help <3