Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 10-05-2014, 09:16 AM   #1
Camilleathome

Ben Nye paint flaking

Alright so Hal-con is quickly coming up so I wanted to figure this out before it comes. When we airbrushed Ursula for Animaritimes the paint started to flake very quickly. During the costume contest, one of the judges was a movie prosthetics guy and told me to use final seal under the paint before starting airbrushing. Would this fix the issue or does anyone else have any tips? I'm using all ben nye waterbased products. Heres the photo so you can see what Im talking about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10453443_10154324300505273_6626784324671633561_n.jpg (56.9 KB, 0 views)
Camilleathome is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-09-2014, 10:07 AM   #2
Sweet Loretta

I am unsure why the Final Set under the makeup will help it stop flaking. Honestly, Ben Nye just does not have a good product when it comes to airbrush.

perhaps you have a product that has reach its shelf life. Water-based airbrush makeups have a shelf life of about 2 years. And many costume shops do not understand, know or care about this.

Have you tried the makeup since? to determine if it was another factor...be sure to start with clean skin meaning a swipe with witch hazel or rubbing alcohol first.

Face and Body Artist
www.sweet-loretta.com

Face and Body Art Makeup & Supplies
The Painted Navel : Extreme Makeup FX
www.extrememakeupfx.com
Mort's Morgue & FX Emporium
http://mortsmorgue.com
Sweet Loretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2014, 11:15 AM   #3
pitin

Clean skin is important. I've tired using final seal as a first coat before applying the paint myself and it worked fairly well. There was still a little flaking but considering I only had time to sponge/brush on one coat of paint that time when I usual do 3 I think it held up pretty well.

These example pictures were taken at the end of the day:
https://www.facebook.com/corpusphoto...type=3&theater
https://www.facebook.com/JaysonTranP...type=3&theater

etsy.com/shop/SquishyKreations (esty)
squishykreations.tumblr.com (tumblr)
pitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2014, 05:05 AM   #4
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

the reason he says to put final seal first is to create a barrier from over flexing of the skin. ben nye is on the cheap end of fx makeup so its not really made for long term things. its why it eventually flakes off cause you move and the oils mix w them. final seal will help to stop it by about 75%. if you notice it still happening a bunch, you need to switch products. wolfe fx and kryolan are very popular
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2014, 05:26 PM   #5
Charlemagne
Must Love Corgis

Final Seal is also a good product to lay down before putting on any makeup, especially for more sensitive skin, as it creates a barrier between the skin and the paint. Like it was said above, clean skin is very important.

I would look into Wolfe FX and Kryolan like animenerd93 suggested, and ask around local theatrical supply stores as to what the professionals use as well. Get a lot of information from various sources!

Simon Blackquill - Ace Attorney (100%)
Chief Prosecutor Edgeworth - Ace Attorney (100%)
Tsunami - Tenchi Muyo! (100%)
Luke Skywalker 2.0 (A New Hope) - Star Wars (100%)
Sailor Moon - Sailor Moon (100%)
Princess Serenity - Sailor Moon (Planned)
Tuxedo Mask - Sailor Moon (10%)
Charlemagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2014, 10:06 PM   #6
acanerd

Hey there, I saw you replied to my post where I was having the same problem. I did figure out a method that worked. I'm posting it there but I'll put it here too:

First I wiped down my skin with a wipe containing alcohol (I found it in a first aid kit). I mixed Ben Nye Final Seal into the body paint (about a 1:8 ratio of final seal to paint). I applied the body paint in a thin layer, using a brush. I allowed each area (body part) I painted to dry COMPLETELY before moving on to a new area. Once each area was dry, I sprayed it with the final seal. Once that dried, I dusted it with translucent powder, then sprayed it with final seal yet again. This seemed to work and the paint stayed on almost all day without flaking, even when I got rained on a little bit. Had to really scrub it in the shower to remove it afterwards, but totally worth it!
acanerd is offline   Reply With Quote