Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 05-24-2016, 08:07 PM   #1
Aruko

Sclera Lenses if you struggle with normal contacts?

Sorry if this has already been asked somewhere. I browsed a couple of the sclera lense topics and didn't see this issue exactly.

My situation is basically this. I'm doing a Rize cosplay this year and I was thinking about sclera contacts, but I'm kind of reluctant to dish out that kind of money for something that is not going to work.

I do have regular contacts but I only wear those for conventions the rest of the time I'm perfectly happy with my glasses. I struggle to put the normal contacts in(like they almost gave up at the eye doctors).

I also have small eyes in general...I buy my glasses from the kids section...no joke. I watched some videos of people putting in sclera lenses and they make it look so easy, but I also notice they seem to have fairly large eyes compared to mine.

Anyone with experience with this sort of thing have any advice? Sorry if this is a really dumb question XD
Aruko is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-24-2016, 08:24 PM   #2
DlGlT
Just call me Digit

In short: Sclera are hard to put in and can only be worn for a short time. You even need custom fitting/sizing for them.

Skip it, save yourself the money, and discomfort. Either go for circle lenses, or paint your eyelids to look like the darkened eyes.
DlGlT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2016, 08:28 PM   #3
Aruko

Thanks for the feedback DIGIT...I might just do that...and sleep in an extra hour XD
Aruko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2016, 08:13 AM   #4
Ion
イオン

If you are still leaning towards wanting contacts for this cosplay, you might consider trying mini-sclera lenses. You said your eyes are smaller already, so these may be enough to work. Due to the size if mini-sclera lenses you might not find both the red and black combo design, but if you picked solid black, that still gives the creepy effect. Or if you chose solid red, you could always tightline with black eyeliner to give that alternate color effect. There are also regular sized cosplay circle lenses that have red and black on them too so there is that possibility to consider, as Digit stated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ion View Post
Regular sclera lenses are 22mm while the minis are 17mm. That is still going to fill most of your eye with a color and give a very big visual impact. The advantage of minis is that obviously with smaller lenses, you can wear them longer and insert/remove them easier than full-size sclera lenses. A quick google search of mini-sclera lenses will give you a good idea of colors/designs available. I have seen the mini-sclera lenses priced at around $30/pair and up.
Annnd, as always, there will be Rize cosplayers who either did not want to/ cannot wear contact lenses of any sort so do not feel like you are obligated to wear them for this cosplay if you are not comfortable inserting, wearing, and removing larger-than-normal lenses. Googling for photos of other cosplayers and what they did can give you some quick inspiration and ideas for alternatives.

CURRENT PROJECTS
Jadis - Chronicles of Narnia | Toothiana - Rise of the Guardians | Baroness - G.I. Joe | Satsuki Kiryuin - Kill la Kill |
Ion is offline   Reply With Quote