Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 03-22-2015, 11:37 PM   #1
Chaobunny-san
Uguuu

Makeup for airbender tattoos

Does anyone have suggestions for makeup for the airbender arrow tattoos? I just want to do the arrow on the forehead (for Jinora). I want something that is not too bright and flashy, more subtle like a real life tattoo would be. I don't want it to look like I smeared neon blue paint on my forehead. I have been looking online but it is hard to tell from descriptions what it will actually look like.

I'm only looking for vegan friendly products.

Any suggestions would be great, double points if you have example pictures!
Chaobunny-san is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-23-2015, 11:51 AM   #2
Rinner

I don't know what product to use specifically, but if you use a translucent powder overtop of your finished product it will look more realistic and won't have the shininess.

I presume that the character you're talking about looks similar to Aang so I'm thinking if you did a thin layer of whatever you end up using it will look best. You should always include a picture of the character you're trying to do in your main post though. More people will be able to help you with color specifications and things like that.

Here's a thread about tattoos. You might be able to pull some information from it as well.
Unread 03-24-2015, 02:04 PM   #3
Sweet Loretta

Depending on your costume needs, in regard to how long you plan to wear the makeup, how durable it needs to be, you could use a variety of products. Only a few brands of face paints are not vegan friendly.

Try using Skin Prep Pro facial moisture barrier and makeup set as a base and then paint on the design with Paradise AQ (sky blue) face paints. Use a nice round pointed brush like Mehron's Mark Reid Signature Brush #4 - a good talkon brush.

Or you could use alcohol activated paints like Body Illustrator Color, however removal may be more harsh on the face.

You can use either to make an opaque or wash effect for a deep color or slight tattoo look.

Face and Body Artist
www.sweet-loretta.com

Face and Body Art Makeup & Supplies
The Painted Navel : Extreme Makeup FX
www.extrememakeupfx.com
Mort's Morgue & FX Emporium
http://mortsmorgue.com
Sweet Loretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2015, 08:47 PM   #4
Chaobunny-san
Uguuu

Thanks for the suggestions. Are you sure Paradise AQ from Mehron is vegan? It has glycerin it its ingredients list and I can't find any source saying that that particular product is vegan.
Unread 03-26-2015, 09:55 PM   #5
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

There are lots of vegan indie makeup brands, but I don't know of any of those would work in lieu of theatrical products. You could try mixing dry pigment with a long wearing mixing medium; I don't know of any vegan mixing mediums though.
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 10:32 AM   #6
Chaobunny-san
Uguuu

I emailed Mehron last night and they confirmed Paradise AQ is vegan! =) I will be ordering that and I'll let you know how it goes!
Unread Yesterday, 10:42 AM   #7
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

Oh yay!
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote