Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 07-09-2014, 01:58 PM   #1
Chorororo

Non-Latex Scar Makeup

I tried searching the forums, but I'm having trouble - As far as making scars with makeup, does anyone have a non-latex solution? Everything I find involves latex, and that with my skin.. well, not fun.

For reference, I'll be doing Ms Fortune from Skullgirls ( http://skullgirls.com/wp-content/the.../msfortune.png )

The first time I wore the outfit, I used concealer, but it does eventually get everywhere and fade. Next time, I may just use craft foam that's painted a more natural color, but for photoshoots I would like to be able to have something slightly more.. it doesn't have to even be realistic, but just more natural to the costume.

Any solutions or tutorials?

Otakon 2014 (August 9-11)
Ms. Fortune (SkullGirls)
Taokaka Black Alt. (Blaz Blue)
Chorororo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread Yesterday, 06:45 PM   #2
Klash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorororo View Post
I tried searching the forums, but I'm having trouble - As far as making scars with makeup, does anyone have a non-latex solution? Everything I find involves latex, and that with my skin.. well, not fun.
You might try nose putty/wax, I've never used it, but it's an old SFX standby. There are also Silicone options but they tend to be more pricey (and very few adhesives compared to latex)
Klash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 07:24 PM   #3
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Are they raised scars or set-in scars?

Raised, you might want to look into silicone or other high-end alternatives. Since makeup artists have to deal with latex allergies in models/actors all the time, there are a lot of workable alternatives, but they might be costly or take learning some new techniques.

But if they're indented scars, down into the skin, then try rigid collodion. It's a liquid that gets painted on the skin, and as it dries, it pulls and puckers the skin to make it look scarred. I use it for my Luffy scar, among others, because it's a set-in scar. That much skin area, though, you'll go through a lot of collodion. And I'm not entirely positive what chemicals are in it, but I'm fairly certain there isn't any latex. I know people with latex irritation issues who use collodion without trouble. However, if you end up being sensitive to any of the chemicals or the alcohol in it, then you're back to square one.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 08:19 PM   #4
mertlez

3rd Degree is a silicon-based molding product.

Even better, buy the kit in clear and you can mix in any dry makeup (cake foundation, eye shadow, pigments, etc) to tint it to your spec.
mertlez is offline   Reply With Quote