Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 05-16-2015, 08:49 AM   #1
alienhelix

How Can You Look More Youthful with Makeup?

I have briefly studied the faces of children in an attempt to answer my own question, but I have no idea how to use contouring and makeup to put these principles into practice. Obviously, they have bigger eyes and smooth skin. But I have also noticed that adults have longer noses (the distance between the nose and eyes is longer) and wider lips (children have smaller more doll like lips). The children I studied for this were 4-5 years old. Because they have smaller faces, their features look closer together. The only exception being that they do not have close set eyes.

I am 21 years old, but am trying to look more like a 4-5 year old in the face. Not for cosplay makeup, but for every day makeup. I am very into the whole lolita fashion (sailor lolita in particular) and I hate it when such a youthful fashion is combined with a mature looking face. So I have set out to figure out the secret to looking like a child in the face.

I think the doll like lips should be easy to achieve with basic contouring...its creating the optical illusion of shortening the distance between the nose and eyes, and lips and nose that is the challenge. Does anyone have any idea how I could go about this with makeup/contouring? Thank you all!
alienhelix is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-20-2015, 02:22 PM   #2
redsheep

If you're 21 then you should already have a youthful face. There's really not too much you can do since you don't have wrinkles or age spots or anything like that. Avoid contouring the sides of your face (you can contour the top to make your face look shorter and wider), apply a brighter pink blush to the apples of the cheeks, apply white eyeliner to your lower waterline and in the corners of the eye, and over extend your eyeliner to make your eyes appear bigger. Add circle lenses if you want them to appear really big. You could also do a gradient lip which is popular in Korea and Japan.

Also, lolita is not a child's fashion or age play, so you really shouldn't be trying to look exactly like a child. It's fine to want to look more youthful, but doing serious effects makeup to look like a toddler will look very costume-y, and you already are young! Look at some of the more famous lolita models like RinRin and Misako. Yes they look youthful, but they don't look like children, they just look like young women.

Keep your makeup simple and dewy, not overly matte or powdered. Avoid darker colors and contouring and you'll have a nice, fresh, youthful look.
redsheep is offline   Reply With Quote