Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 113 votes, 4.93 average.
Unread 09-27-2011, 12:10 AM   #181
sukimba
Pokemon Master

I'm looking for some cat eye styled contacts, preferably with blue as the iris color, but I'm not going to get too picky with it. There's a big selection on youknowit but I don't know that site too well, and I haven't seen any customer review pictures for the ones I'm interested in. So basically, can I trust their images to be true? And if not, are there any sites anyone knows of that sells what I'm looking for? Thanks!
Facebook
2013 Cosplay
Raven(Teen Titans)-- Steampunk Flame Princess(Adventure Time)-- Twisted Cinderella(Disney's Cinderella)-- Sailor Star Maker(Sailor Moon)-- Aya(GLtAS)-- Tooth(Rise of the Guardians)-- Candlehead(Sugar Rush)
2013 Conventions
ALA -- AOD-- Fanime -- Anime Expo -- SDCC -- Sac Anime Summer
sukimba is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-27-2011, 09:22 AM   #182
Starlit Rose
Breaking out of my cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnedtoGold View Post
I'm working on a cosplay of Jeanne from Bayonetta. I'm looking for a pair of grey lenses that will really pop, but I don't want them to be entirely solid grey. I have brown eyes, so I'm guessing the lenses will need to be opaque. I also don't want any of my iris to show. I've looked on a few sites (thedollyeye and pinkyparadise), but I'm not sure what will cover my eye and will remain grey. Does anyone have suggestions? I need a perscription, so plano lenses won't work for me.
Since you have dark eyes, yes, you will want opaque lenses. My eyes are medium hazel and I need opaques, so anything darker definitely calls for opaques! You mentioned that you don't want your natural color to show. The good news is, because your eyes are dark (unless they are a very light brown), even with contacts that have large pupil openings, your natural eye color won't be seen unless you're staring directly into bright lighting/use flash. But if it's still a concern, I can easily recommend Acuvue 2 Colors for the smaller pupil hole. They give GREAT coverage. This person who reviewed them says they cover almost too well, but I haven't had problems with them covering my vision:

http://www.cosplay.com/showpost.php?...&postcount=421

They are 8.3 base curve, which the norm is 8.6, but they fit me better than 8.6 contacts. 8.6 slides around on my eyes a bit, but the 8.3 stays put. I don't know if that's just my eyes though. But I still highly recommend them for coverage, opacity, and comfort. They come in prescriptions, and since they are a popular brand, you could stop into your optometrist and try them on first. (I know Wal Mart's vision center has them readily available).
Levi - Attack on Titan/Shingeki no Kyojin - 100%
3DM Gear - Attack on Titan/Shingeki no Kyojin - 90% (needs repairs)
Lux (classic skin) - League of Legends - 10%

Facebook || Tumblr
Starlit Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2011, 02:40 PM   #183
Berenice
-NaruSakuHina-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenice View Post
I have dark, asian eyes and so...

May I ask which series in GEO would best brighten my eyes?
I'm looking for the color violet and I heard the Nudy or 3tone are the brightest violets already, but I'm not sure

I don't think I like the angel series because it's a dark violet >_<

Yeah, I'm wanting GEO because I've, unfortunately, fallen into lots of fake contact lens traps and GEO is the only one with the authentication as of now (am i right? xD)

Help?

ALSO!!!
May I ask for a review of the iFAIRY lenses? Are they dark? are they comfortable/better than EOS or GEO? I just heard of it now so Im a bit skeptical xD
help? ;_;
Berenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 11:05 PM   #184
Ion
Lyrical gangster

@ Berenice: I honestly have had the best luck with EOS DollyEye lenses and iFairy lenses in terms of having bold color. Geo never seems to show up well enough on my eyes for my preference and the Nudy series was a disappointment to me. Instead of the looking like their stock images, the colors always looked muddled on my eyes which are dark brown. Maybe they look better on other lighter colored eyes or with a ton of shoop or perhaps they are a good choice if you want very subtle color change with brown showing through.

As long as you buy from a reputable place, you should have no problems with fakes. A lot of people shop at Pinkyparadise. I also shop with KoreaBigEyes and Color Lens 4 Less (if you just need plano) and browsing through this thread will give you even more places to check out.

Ifairy lenses are a good choice if you want bright, noticeable color and an enlarging effect. I think they are more comfortable than some EOS lenses (Adult series made my eyes rather dry while the DollyEye series was fine) and are on par with Geo in terms of comfort. A lot of cosplayers and lolitas like them because they are priced well and are actually noticeable. So, it probably will depend on what effect you are trying to achieve but hopefully this will help a little.

CURRENT PROJECTS
Elsa - Frozen (coronation gown) | Satsuki Kiryuin - Kill la Kill | Toothiana - Rise of the Guardians | Legolas - Lord of the Rings | Baroness - G.I. Joe
Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 07:27 PM   #185
cosplayhime

does anybody know where i can get contacts for inuyasha? and aido from vampire knight?I have brown eyes and my characters have gold and blue eyes. any recommendations? thank you!
cosplayhime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 11:35 PM   #186
crimsion
Aeris Aquata

I plan on cosplaying as Madoka and would like some recomendations for pink lenses for the costume.
She's actually got a darker pink eye color and I'm not sure what color I would need.
Oh, and I need them to be prescription as I have glasses. Help would be amazing!
Unread 09-29-2011, 11:51 PM   #187
ashe2kawaii
A Wolf in Chic Clothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsion View Post
I plan on cosplaying as Madoka and would like some recomendations for pink lenses for the costume.
She's actually got a darker pink eye color and I'm not sure what color I would need.
Oh, and I need them to be prescription as I have glasses. Help would be amazing!
If you the know the power needed for each eye, i would personally recomend Pinky Paradise.

Link: http://pinkyparadise.com/webshaper/s...t.asp?catID=20

This iss the automayic link to the color you preffered. Usually some have real reviews and no real pictures of what they look like. You can also find them on facebook if your curious
ashe2kawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 02:21 AM   #188
ToxicFantasyVII
Cosplay is sarifice!

Hi, I'm cosplaying as Hinata Hyuga from Naruto and wondering where I could get the best contacts for her. I had a look at the blind eyes and immediantly though no way because I don't want to be blind around a con, so I decided to go with some contacts with a light purple tinge to it. Problem is, have no idea where to get them from. I have perfectly good eyesight if that helps!

Reference Image
ToxicFantasyVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 04:02 PM   #189
crimsion
Aeris Aquata

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashe2kawaii View Post
If you the know the power needed for each eye, i would personally recomend Pinky Paradise.

Link: http://pinkyparadise.com/webshaper/s...t.asp?catID=20

This iss the automayic link to the color you preffered. Usually some have real reviews and no real pictures of what they look like. You can also find them on facebook if your curious
That...doesn't really help.
I know that site has a lot of pink, but I don't know what color pink I need!
Unread 09-30-2011, 08:41 PM   #190
Mazoku
Cosplay is love~

I'm looking to cosplay Hitsugaya from Bleach here in the near future. Currently in my research phase, and I was curious as to where I could find bright turquoise contacts that will even change my dark eyes to make them super vibrant. I love love love his eye color and would definitely like to have the color be spotted from a decent distance. I've done some research already, but haven't found the right color lens or even lens that would be bright enough.

Here's a good shot of his eyes for those he are unfamiliar with Bleach: http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/r...ayatoshiro.png

I don't have a good picture of my eyes, but they're like a golden brown in the direct light, and just a medium brown in regular lighting.

2010 Cosplay Plans
Eve Neushwanstein - Needless [100%]
Mafuyu Shiina - Seitokai no Ichizon [100%]
Koenma - Yu Yu Hakusho [100%]
Asuka (Race Queen Figure) - Neon Genesis Evangelion [100%]
Neo Queen Serenity - Sailor Moon [0%]
Mazoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2011, 02:21 AM   #191
darkleafar

not a strange problem at all..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingrid archer View Post
Hey cats and kittens. New here, and all that. Have a strange problem I thought I'd throw out there and see if anyone can help.

I'm from Orlando, FL, and I wanted to order a pair of red sclera contacts from 9mmfx for my Blizzcon costume(time's a tickin', I hop on a plane october 20th). I got an eye appointment(I can see just fine, but I know you need the proper info to make sure the lens fits), went in, and then the doc told me, basically, he couldn't write me a prescription for contacts he didn't fit on me himself. IE he needed the exact brand of sclera contacts I was getting to fit them himself(by law in the state of Florida), otherwise he couldn't write me a prescription.

I checked on the 9mmFX website for a brand name or something, and I emailed them about it(no word back yet). I know I'm not the first person in the state of Florida to try and get cosmetic contacts - we're running Halloween Horror Nights in Universal right now and it's full of beasties in weird contacts. I've been asking around to see if someone working there knows the optometrist they use, but no such luck there either. Waiting for a response is nailbiting, since I was pushing my deadline all ready. Has anyone had or heard of this problem? Anyone have any suggestions of leads I could follow?
I would like to bring this answer to everyone's attention, because I dont think this has been mentioned quite as much. I had the exact same problem as you while trying to order from 9mmsfx website. I discovered if you call them (they are based off of california) they answer right away and they are actually quite helpful.

THey told me they use two brands of lenses: Kontur55 and Acu-ease. So just like you, my doctor refused to fit me for those contacts because they are of a brand he does not carry. Everyone should take note of this, because I seemed to be the only one who didnt know that you have to be refitted for contacts when you change brands even if your prescrition is recent!

Now since I got y'all's attention, please help me with my problem:
I have what is considered dark brown eyes. I am looking for sharingan (naruto-itachi uchiha) contacts. 9mmsfx has them, but my whole order got stopped abruptly as they sent me on a search for a doctor who is willing to fit me that brand of contacts (Kontur55). Most doctors wanted to charge me over 150 dollars just for the fitting/exam, so I said no. However, i finally found a doctor who will do it for $89 dollars (still not cheap, but better than nothing)

My main problem is I have astigmatism (1.2 cylynder) in my left eye, but both my eyes have a prescription of -6.0. Right eye based curve is 8.4, and right eye is 8.6. My diameters are also different on each eye. With all those custom needs, 9mmsfx seemed like the only choice. But when I went to the doctor I mentioned, the doctor had already left but the attendant (possibly co-owner) asked me to show him the website and price of the lenses I was wanting to order, so I did. Then he goes, "that's too much for a one time thing" and then he handed me a brochure "why no try these? they are only for one times use, and your astigmatism is only in one eye so even if they are not toric you should be okay" and then he proceeded to refer me to these peeps http://www.clearlabusa.com/eyedia-clear-color.php (scroll all the way to the bottom, you will see a sharingan eye labeled "hatake" on there) These are apparently 100 for 2 lenses, as opposed to 260 for two lenses from 9mmsfx.

Opinions? comments? recommendations? Is it true my slight astigmatism (1.2 cylinder) is not that detrimental to address in the contacts? Or is 9mmsfx truly my only choice for my situation? Please help! Peeps from 9mmsfx said I have to complete my order no later than October 5th if I want them by OniCon T_T
darkleafar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2011, 01:56 AM   #192
fin fish
charleston dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsion View Post
That...doesn't really help.
I know that site has a lot of pink, but I don't know what color pink I need!
I'm partial to the Pretty Crystal Pink myself. It might be a little brighter than what you want, but with most pinks, you run the risk of it looking more like a faded lavender.

I don't have personal experience with these ones, but they look like they might be a nice color? I think they'd work better on dark eyes though -- not sure what yours look like -- and there's a good chance that they'd look paler and duller in real life too.
Unread 10-02-2011, 03:12 PM   #193
Ion
Lyrical gangster

I agree with Fin Fish. It is better to go slightly brighter than you think. The pink lenses I have tried that were supposed to be "toned down" ended up looking dark purple or just muddy. FWIW here is a link to my photos/review of the Pretty Crystal Pink lenses. I love them.

I probably would not recommend Geo Nudy/Super Nudy/Wondereye Pink on super dark eyes. They were unbelievably disappointing for me as the color was barely noticeable and it looked more purple than anything.

CURRENT PROJECTS
Elsa - Frozen (coronation gown) | Satsuki Kiryuin - Kill la Kill | Toothiana - Rise of the Guardians | Legolas - Lord of the Rings | Baroness - G.I. Joe
Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2011, 08:01 PM   #194
Starlit Rose
Breaking out of my cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiwaNiwa View Post
Pretty much the same here!
14mm will probably give you just a little bigger eye, they're meant to be black around the edges so it still shows your natural color but makes that outer black part bigger. I think 14mm brings it to about your top and bottom eyelid. Full black ones are a little harder to find... if you want the most "cartoony" look i recommend going for the big 16-17 mm ones
http://www.candylens.com/
http://www.honeycolor.com/
check out these... dad is kicking me off to play WoW XD
*sorry- rushed msg... ill be back tho!
p.s. geo has the most comfortable lenses imo
By the way, thanks for replying to my post! I did read it before deciding what to do about my contacts. I have been so bad about responding to posts here lately.

I ended up going with KimChi contacts in "Prince Black" color from Geo Lens House on Facebook. Not gonna lie, I'm pretty terrified of how these are going to look and feel, lol. It was the best I could find given my situation. I would have gone with the I. Fairy Pearl Black lenses but they were out of stock. We'll see how they are. A Facebook-based store didn't seem very trustworthy, but they seem very active, and I felt a little safer since I paid with Paypal. But the contacts were only like, $13/pair for prescription lenses, so even if I get gipped, at least I won't be losing much. I think I'm more worried about the contacts being bad though, haha. I'll update here with pictures once they arrive.
Levi - Attack on Titan/Shingeki no Kyojin - 100%
3DM Gear - Attack on Titan/Shingeki no Kyojin - 90% (needs repairs)
Lux (classic skin) - League of Legends - 10%

Facebook || Tumblr
Starlit Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2011, 02:13 AM   #195
crimsion
Aeris Aquata

Quote:
Originally Posted by fin fish View Post
I'm partial to the Pretty Crystal Pink myself. It might be a little brighter than what you want, but with most pinks, you run the risk of it looking more like a faded lavender.

I don't have personal experience with these ones, but they look like they might be a nice color? I think they'd work better on dark eyes though -- not sure what yours look like -- and there's a good chance that they'd look paler and duller in real life too.
My eyes are a weird blue-green, sometimes they look grey as well. I like that first pink, but it'll probably be super bright on my eyes. ><
And is it just me, or are the Pretty Crystal Pink's model's eyelashes uneven?