Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 112 votes, 4.93 average.
Unread 05-08-2012, 10:42 PM   #286
jellybone

i failed with my search of really big purple lenses ^_^;
[IMG][/IMG]
i don't want my eyes to be completely covered but just bigger than 14.5mm
idk

Unread 05-11-2012, 07:34 AM   #287
Anhelitta
Insanely Detail Oriented

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ion View Post
Yes, 0.00 is plano anywhere. Sometimes they throw a + or - sign in front of it, like +0.00 or -0.00, but it will always mean you are getting unpowered lenses. FYI, circle lenses are not made in + powers as there is much less demand for that prescription type.
Thanks ^^
I figured as such...its my first time ordering circle lenses and I've been a research maniac to make sure I get everything right...
And sad that far-sighted people like me can't get our prescription lenses from pinkyparadise and several of the other sites I've been on...Ah well.
Unread 05-13-2012, 07:30 PM   #288
Ion
Lyrical gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by squkyshoes View Post
My eye color is probably the hardest color to match unnatural colored contacts with: green.

Could you possibly suggest some brands/styles in unnatural colors (mainly red atm, but some others that aren't in red will be useful for the future) that have a small inner diameter (or any other features) that would make my green eyes less noticeable?
Styles with outer rings and a non-solid iris pattern are preferred, as these contacts will be for my Lilith cosplay.
For red lenses: You might like Red Wolf lenses, Geo SF-20's, or the Volturi lens which have a small pupil hole. There are quite a few circle lens offerings but the pupil hole tends to be pretty big for those because they are designed to work for dark eyes and make the pupils look larger. For your reference, here is my review of the Red Wolf lenses.

For other colors: The DollyEye series has small pupil holes, another review for your reference. That said, overall you will do better with theatrical-type lenses which are made to cover any eye color, whether light or dark, and tend to have smaller pupil holes. Places like Coastal Contact, Eyesbright, and Youknowit are good places to start. Hope this helps.

CURRENT PROJECTS
Elsa - Frozen (coronation gown) | Satsuki Kiryuin - Kill la Kill | Toothiana - Rise of the Guardians | Legolas - Lord of the Rings | Baroness - G.I. Joe
Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 08:36 PM   #289
Akune-chan

I would like to recommend the website;
solution-lens.com.

:]
Unread 05-14-2012, 12:24 AM   #290
squkyshoes
Meatbuns!

Quote:
For red lenses: You might like Red Wolf lenses, Geo SF-20's, or the Volturi lens which have a small pupil hole. There are quite a few circle lens offerings but the pupil hole tends to be pretty big for those because they are designed to work for dark eyes and make the pupils look larger. For your reference, here is my review of the Red Wolf lenses.

For other colors: The DollyEye series has small pupil holes, another review for your reference. That said, overall you will do better with theatrical-type lenses which are made to cover any eye color, whether light or dark, and tend to have smaller pupil holes. Places like Coastal Contact, Eyesbright, and Youknowit are good places to start. Hope this helps.
Oh wow! Those Red Wolf lenses are beautiful~.
I think I'm sold ♥.

But I find it strange that the non-brand theatrical lenses are more expensive than the circle lenses. A local store a few minutes from my house where I usually buy my contacts sells fx lenses (they are out of red though, except for the sharingans), and they sell them for $17.99. I'm honestly surprised by the price jump online.
Ponyo
Finland
squkyshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2012, 09:13 PM   #291
Dramakana26
POCKYTHEIF

im Looking for some vibrant large greeen circle lenses for
shiemi moriyama from blue exorcist

http://cdn.myanimelist.net/images/ch.../12/115774.jpg

i'm having trouble finding good vibrant ones with a larger then 14.5 diameter :O

Facebook
Dramakana26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2012, 08:03 PM   #292
Akune-chan

Hello guys! I am back!

This time I would like to take advantage of the sale that Pinkyparadise.com is having so I was wondering if someone could help me~!

I am trying to cosplay the character Claude Faustus from Kuroshitsuji, however I am not sure of the lenses to get for him.
I was thinking about the Twilight Brown lens but his eyes are more of a caramel color;
http://www.fanpop.com/spots/claude-f...eencap?ir=true

Any help? Thank you!
Unread 05-29-2012, 04:18 PM   #293
Ion
Lyrical gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akune-chan View Post
Hello guys! I am back!

This time I would like to take advantage of the sale that Pinkyparadise.com is having so I was wondering if someone could help me~!

I am trying to cosplay the character Claude Faustus from Kuroshitsuji, however I am not sure of the lenses to get for him.
I was thinking about the Twilight Brown lens but his eyes are more of a caramel color;
http://www.fanpop.com/spots/claude-f...eencap?ir=true

Any help? Thank you!
I think the Twilight Brown lenses would work fine. They are not as yellowy as other lenses, same deal with Dolly Eye Brown lenses. They are more "golden" in color.

@ Everyone:

Also, I just came across this website with photos and reviews of various colored contact lenses for LIGHT EYES. I know there tends to be a greater focus on what lenses look like or how well, if at all, they show for people with dark eyes but I think we can agree everyone likes to get an idea of how products work before buying. I'll be adding the link to the first post for future reference as well.

CURRENT PROJECTS
Elsa - Frozen (coronation gown) | Satsuki Kiryuin - Kill la Kill | Toothiana - Rise of the Guardians | Legolas - Lord of the Rings | Baroness - G.I. Joe
Unread 05-29-2012, 04:26 PM   #294
Akune-chan

Quote:
I think the Twilight Brown lenses would work fine. They are not as yellowy as other lenses, same deal with Dolly Eye Brown lenses. They are more "golden" in color.

Unread 06-06-2012, 08:45 PM   #295
hildebrande03
Trowa's fangirl for life

Hey all, I'm looking for blue contact lenses that will show up well against my dark brown eyes. I know Acuvue opaques have gotten good reviews, however my contacts prescription expired this year and I don't know if any orders will go through if I order them through the american websites.

I know geo medical has been recently approved by the FDA, does anyone know if:
a) they make contacts with a base curve of 8.3? I've only seen them in 8.6
b) where i can find them? I know there are a lot of knock off sites out there.

Thank you all!

http://cantabrasil03.livejournal.com

Conventions this year:
A-Kon as Belarus

Past conventions:
AX 2009 as Hilde Schbeiker
AX 2010 as Rukia Kuchiki and Hilde Schbeiker
AX 2011 as Belarus
AX 2012 as Belarus, Rukia Kuchiki and Hilde Schbeiker
hildebrande03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 12:42 AM   #296
Enkai
Spiffy!

So this is going to be a while off, but I'm planning on ordering contacts for my husband and my Gankutsuou costumes as the Count and Haydee LINK

My husband is *relatively* easy, as I've found plenty of material on red and green lenses. I'm thinking circle lenses, both for price and for how well they seem to stand out and not have that solid color look I can't stand. The big question, is it possible to make a special order with one lens of one color and one of another color from the circle lens sites? It appears that as far as the default online, it's all pairs.

My lenses are the more difficult ones, as people don't seem to get black lenses often. Does anybody have any recommendations for black circle lenses that would work well on light colored eyes? Has anybody tried them out? I definitely want circle lenses, potentially the extra large ones, since I am specifically trying to play up that alien look (without going so far as sclera lenses). I like the texture that some of the black ones on Pinky Paradise have, but since they don't have any model pictures with them, it's hard to tell if that's what I want.

Next Events
Minna no Anime Halloween Party
Anime Los Angeles 2013
Animation on Display 2013
Enkai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2012, 12:42 AM   #297
pinapplegum
Laughter is contagious :)

Adiane Red slit eyes

So I'm going to cosplay Adiane the Elegant from Gurren Lagann. Where can I find red perscription lenses (preferably circle lenses) with a very vibrant color and a cat-eye effect?

I have red contacts now, but they only look pink and don't show up very brightly.

I want the vibrancy to look like this:

Perhaps with a dark circle around the edge.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...0312933&type=3
pinapplegum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2012, 01:03 AM   #298
Ion
Lyrical gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinapplegum View Post
So I'm going to cosplay Adiane the Elegant from Gurren Lagann. Where can I find red perscription lenses (preferably circle lenses) with a very vibrant color and a cat-eye effect?
I have red contacts now, but they only look pink and don't show up very brightly.
I want the vibrancy to look like this:
Perhaps with a dark circle around the edge.
These lenses are most often unpowered and considered a novelty item because they are not really in demand until around Halloween. The only cat-eye lenses that I know of in prescription are THESE from Coastal Contacts which go from 0.00 to -7.00. Unfortunately, they are not weighted [prism balanced] and will spin for anyone but even more for people with the slightest astigmatism.

To get truly prism-balanced lenses that will not spin, you would have to get custom lenses from a place like 9mmsfx. Each lens is $145 but they make them to any specs you need. They have 0.00 to -9.00 or up to +3.25 available but if you need something other than that, just email them.

Personally I like the look of the 9mm lenses more than the Coastal lenses because you do get a nice limbal ring as opposed to a plain red lens with the cat-eye pupil, but the price may be a bit out of reach. I suppose it also depends on how often you would wear said lenses [re: is it often enough to make this purchase worth it? With good care, they can last 3 years] and whether you really care about the convenience of knowing your lenses have not rotated sideways at all. I will say, anyone who has purchased from 9mm has been very happy with the service and their lenses, so there you have it.

The other option would be to just go for red circle lenses without the slit pupil. There are a number of good circle lenses that are vibrant and available in prescription.

CURRENT PROJECTS
Unread 06-27-2012, 09:13 AM   #299
CosplayAnsa

Contacts for Blue eyes

Most people have an issue finding contacts that are vibrant enough to cover dark eyes. Me, on the hand, find that some circle lenses have very wide centers for the pupil, thus allowing some of the iris to show through in the middle. This works for people with dark eyes, because their iris often times looks like the pupil itself.

Is there a certain brand of circle lenses (preferrably perscription) that works well with light eyes? My eyes are very light blue, and it would look strange if I wore dark brown contacts and you could see the blue coming through in the middle.

Just wondering if anyone has shared the experience and if anyone has any pictures so I can see for myself which circle lenses will work well for me and which won't. Thank you!
CosplayAnsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2012, 10:17 PM   #300
LoviPanda

I'm looking into cosplaying Nia from Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, and since my eyes are not like hers at all, I'm looking into wearing contacts. I'm debating having them custom made to have the flowers or not, but I am leaning towards it. I emailed one company about a quote, though I'm drawing a blank on the name of it, but they did specialty lenses and I was recommended them by others. However, they never gave me a quote nor even emailed me back. I still would like to find ones that match.
LoviPanda is offline   Reply With Quote