Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Assassin's Creed

Unread 01-13-2011, 01:35 PM   #1
Eiyoko

Need help with cape insignias!

Okay, I apologize if this is in the wrong place, but I want to get this one finished by April and I have NO CLUE WHERE TO START because I've never done this before ;A;

You guys know all those special capes Ezio wears around, right? Like the Medici cape, Auditiore cape, etc? I've been meaning to do something like that, but I have no idea how. I mean, I've made a cape for my Ezio cosplay before and intended to make more than one from the very start (another reason why velcro is the most awesome thing to use to keep the cape on the pauldron - thanks for that idea fev ♥). The problem is, I'm not sure how! I know embroidery isn't quite the way to go since they're so big, but I'm not sure if just sewing on some extra fabric will be smart either if I want the thing to flow decently.

So, uh. Has anyone else done this yet, and maybe could offer me a bit of help? Again, sorry if this is in the wrong category/if its a stupid question; I really need to get this done and I feel totally stuck ;A;
Eiyoko is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-14-2011, 08:00 PM   #2
Lisu-chan
Resident weirdo

I don't know really.. I have seen one that was really good, and I think it was sewn on fabric, and I guess if you go for lightweight fabric, it could very well work! ^^

If it's just one colour or two, you could go for paint?

Good luck! ^_^
Lisu-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2011, 08:16 PM   #3
fev
swirls while I swirl.

id try out that heat -n- bond stuff, and sew the edges. It worked great for a huge fan i made. Itsa a double sided iron on adhesive. iron it onto one side, cut it out, iron it to the item you're making. i dunno if its the *best* method out there, but if i was doing various capes, that would be what I'd use

And industrial strength velcro! I had to change mine out cuz regualr velro didn't quite cut it XD

[size="1"]
| Facebook | Prop blog | Prop site
fev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2011, 09:51 PM   #4
Eiyoko

Quote:
Originally Posted by fev View Post
And industrial strength velcro! I had to change mine out cuz regualr velro didn't quite cut it XD
Definitely! I went straight for that stuff to keep my cape on my pauldron. Unfortunately it starts to come off if you sweat a lot and you're using that fake leather stuff, like I am... Nothing that can't be fixed though :3

I decided to try all my options and went for the paint method. Microfiber suede does NOT like fabric paint very much as I've heard, but in a test I did, it seemed to work relatively alright. The fabric still flows well.

Black and White, tested on microfiber suede Pardon the yellow-ness of this picture; the lighting in my room isn't that great DX The white portion looks better than it seems, honest.

I'll probably go with paint this time and get up some photos of the completed work once it's done ^^ Thanks for the ideas, folks ♥
Eiyoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2011, 02:14 PM   #5
UsagiNoSenshi
Dance Commander!

I made the Auditore cape for my costume. What I did was paint the emblem onto some basic white cotton fabric and then I appliqued it onto my cape. Basically I made a giant patch and sewed it on.
Sumire - Sakura Taisen
Sayaka - Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Kaidan Alenko - Mass Effect 3
Ashe - LoL
UsagiNoSenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2011, 11:09 PM   #6
Kcolrehs

I actually embroidered mine (company symbol, nothing cannon)... It was a bitch, and my suggestion is useless unless you have some sort of machine or a needlepoint ring. Grey fabric, ten spools of thread, two monsters, and a day. I would only ever suggest going this detailed work if your costume is under scrutiny not for how close it is to the game, but rather how period it is.
Kcolrehs is offline   Reply With Quote