Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Closed Thread
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-16-2014, 07:06 AM   #1
KuruttaKanashii
Tempest in a Teapot

Utah Cosplayer Shot in the Back by Police

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/58...olice.html.csp
This man was gunned down for being a black guy with a toy sword. The cosplay community has lost one of ours over bigotry.
It's so easy to think "an innocent man has nothing to fear" when it comes to cosplay, to assume we're protected. But these are troubling times...

For cosplay photos and selfies please visit my tumblr

Unread 09-16-2014, 07:30 AM   #2
Syon

Hmm, while this is quite a sad thing, where does it say that he was a cosplayer? They only said that he had a toy sword with him and that Comic Con gets mentioned, as an additional comparison to why its crazy that he got shoot just for carrying around something that may have looked like a real weapon but wasn't one.

Next cosplay: Paladin tier 16 from WoW (blue/silver version)
Unread 09-16-2014, 08:22 AM   #3
builder396
Crossplayer

Indeed, it doesnt outright say that he was a cosplayer. Still, it strikes me as an extraordinarily cruel thing to happen. Why did those policemen shoot a random guy in the back several times? Even if he was carrying a fake sword, with his back turned he in all likelihood hadnt "brandished the sword and lunged toward the officers with the sword, at which time Mr. Hunt was shot.", so really, this suggests that it wasnt self defence, probably something closer to...murder? Reason? Racism? Possible, although not definite. I have no idea whats wrong in the US that policemen are that triggerhappy. Shoot first and ask questions later only works in star trek, real guns dont have a stun setting.

Next Cosplay:
Hatsune Miku (Vocaloid)

Planned cosplays:
Char B1 (Its a TANK, its not from an anime, unless you mean Girls und Panzer)
Kaito Kid (Detective Conan/Case Closed and Magic Kaito)
Unread 09-16-2014, 02:39 PM   #4
KittyAngel
cute little kitty >^.^<

Talking

Like everyone says. It doesn't mention him being a cosplayer. He might have been one of those types of guys that actually get items that seems to be cool and shows it off to people without cosplaying in general.

I'm only asking and no big deal, but are you assuming he was a cosplayer because they mentioned "Comic Con" and he had a sword on his back? Once you read down, his aunt says that 'he was probably heading to the "Panda Express" to apply and he brought his sword thinking it would look cool.'

From what I can tell, the poor guy was shot for no apparant reason. If the autopsy shows multiple gun shots in the rear, then yeah, something's up with that.

Anyway, this is sad. May God bless them and I hope they find peace in days of pain.

DeviantArt.com
JapaneseBlossomKitty
Unread 09-16-2014, 03:36 PM   #5
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

This is yet another case of police being racist..Nothing more nothing less. They see 2 things. 1, a person that is not white, and 2, a person that is not white that has an object. I've noticed most police automatically assume that if a person of color is holding ANY item, that they are now "holding a weapon and deserve to be shot". I've read countless articles about male POC that are not holding any weapons at all, but just random items, and they have been stopped at gunpoint. One was holding his wallet and he was stopped at gun point told to "drop his weapon or we'll shoot". Just because he was holding any given item he is now "a threat" just because he is not white..

This is no different. That could have been a wooden sword, it could have been a plastic sword. They don't know. Any material can be painted to mimic steel, look at most the sword props on this site..They saw a POC with an item, so that made him somehow a threat..

And people I have known wonder why I hate police so much..
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Dream Cosplays:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
-Minimandy (Grim Tales)
-Mimi (Grim Tales)
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
Unread 09-16-2014, 03:41 PM   #6
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

While the event was indeed very tragic, the article never mentioned that the person was a "cosplayer". It is a bit misleading to list him as a "cosplayer", and as part of the "cosplay community", when he actually wasn't wearing a costume. He also wasn't going to a convention, and he was walking around at night with the sword.

It also was not a toy plastic sword. It was a steel replica of a 3 foot long samurai sword. The mom has also said that, " ..the blade is rounded and would not cut much."

His own mother also said in the article. that, "He was listening to his music, and maybe swinging his sword around to it at times." (Someone must have seen him brandishing the sword in the dark at night in the neighborhood, got scared, and reported it to the police. The police doesn't usually doesn't pop out of nowhere, and they usually show up after someone had called 911.)

Here's what the article also reported:

Quote:
Utah County Jail records show that Hunt was booked on Jan. 5 on suspicion of numerous counts of assault, domestic violence and child abuse. Later he pleaded guilty in abeyance on one assault count, meaning it would not count as a conviction if he did not re-offend.
Before one jump to conclusions, it would be better to wait until the ongoing investigation has been completed, and see what the final autopsy report from the medical examiner says. (As well, as the forensic evidence.)

Last edited by Hakaider : 09-16-2014 at 04:11 PM.
Unread 09-16-2014, 04:18 PM   #7
Syon

And lets not forget, its the US. Besides racism, guns and using guns is more common in the states and I think there are statistics on how many shots are fired by policemen on average in the US. At least thats what I know...so for me it looks like a combination of multiple things. Not only the skin colour or that the sword looked dangerous, but also a certain willingness to fire a shot.

In another country (racism asside) he might be warned first and ordered to drop the sword and turn around or (if actual danger occurs) been shot in the leg or arm, but not multiple times in a way that will kill him for sure.

No matter how you turn it, this is just sad.

Next cosplay: Paladin tier 16 from WoW (blue/silver version)

Last edited by Syon : 09-16-2014 at 04:35 PM.
Unread 09-16-2014, 05:24 PM   #8
Tiara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaider View Post
His own mother also said in the article. that, "He was listening to his music, and maybe swinging his sword around to it at times." (Someone must have seen him brandishing the sword in the dark at night in the neighborhood, got scared, and reported it to the police. The police doesn't usually doesn't pop out of nowhere, and they usually show up after someone had called 911.)
It didn't happen at night. It happened in broad daylight.
Unread 09-16-2014, 06:48 PM   #9
EvilLittleKiss
Profound Historical Youth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syon View Post
And lets not forget, its the US. Besides racism, guns and using guns is more common in the states and I think there are statistics on how many shots are fired by policemen on average in the US. At least thats what I know...so for me it looks like a combination of multiple things. Not only the skin colour or that the sword looked dangerous, but also a certain willingness to fire a shot.

In another country (racism asside) he might be warned first and ordered to drop the sword and turn around or (if actual danger occurs) been shot in the leg or arm, but not multiple times in a way that will kill him for sure.

No matter how you turn it, this is just sad.
You'd think after Mike Brown's death in Ferguson and the riots afterwards, more police would start thinking "Maybe we should ease up on shooting people."

And according to this article, he appeared to be cosplaying: http://www.dailydot.com/news/darrien...splaying/?fbdd

Currently working on:
Momoko Koigakubo -- Ghost Stories (Dub)
Scarlett O'Hara Drapery Dress -- Gone With the Wind
Deandra -- MPGiS
Anna Cornonation Dress -- Frozen
Vader Eloha/The Queen -- OFF
Princess Suwa -- Mascot of the city of Suwa, Japan

My favorite cosplays:
Brittnay Matthews -- MPGiS
Mom Lalonde -- Homestuck
Princess Kenny -- South Park

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/annikaskisses
Unread 09-16-2014, 07:10 PM   #10
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
It didn't happen at night. It happened in broad daylight.
Ah. My mistake. Good catch. After looking at the other articles, it was actually early morning.

I also did some checking around, and here are other articles regarding the matter. The first linked article is lacking a bit in details. The other more detailed articles reported that he was carrying a replica samurai sword, he wasn't a cosplayer, and he was not going to a convention. The other articles also confirmed that there was a call made to 911, when he openly walked around with a samurai sword early in the morning.

The incident occurred last week Wednesday, and there was a vigil held for him last Sunday.

The police officers who shot Darrien Hunt are now on administrative leave, and they will not return to active duty until the investigation has been completed by the Utah County Attorney's Office.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/15/justic...ing/index.html

http://fox13now.com/2014/09/10/frien...-cops-actions/

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1940277

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/16/us...psy-finds.html

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...ys.html?pg=all

Quote:
And according to this article, he appeared to be cosplaying: http://www.dailydot.com/news/darrien...splaying/?fbdd
That article was actually speculating & guessing that he may have been cosplaying. The other news articles never mentioned that he was wearing a costume. His mother at no time, ever mentioned that he was wearing a costume either.

The mom told him to go out, and look for a job that morning, and she stated that:

Quote:
"I believe that maybe my son thought, 'Maybe I'll try to get a job at Panda, maybe this sword will impress them,'" she said. "(He probably) thought he was cool with the sword. He was more of a little kid trying to be a teenager."
That same article from the Daily.dot also wrote an update to the article and it said:

Quote:
Update: A new photo of Hunt taken before the altercation has been published by the Guardian and ABC. Judging from his appearance, it's unlikely he was cosplaying as Mugen and that any similarities were coincidental. We have updated this story and our headline for clarity.

Last edited by Hakaider : 09-16-2014 at 07:38 PM.
Unread 09-16-2014, 08:22 PM   #11
Tiara

He was not cosplaying. I am pretty sure it all started because someone said he looked like he was cosplaying Mugen from Samurai Champloo. Other than the colors, the sword and his hair somewhat(which was just the guys normal hair), it really doesn't really look like Mugen. It looked like a red button up and baggy jeans.

But either way, it is pretty sad that this happened. The police need to stop being so trigger happy.
Unread 09-16-2014, 09:27 PM   #12
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

Yeah, the part about him being a cosplayer seems to be pure speculation. Still, in this country we are having an open-carry movement where white people are carrying giant assault rifles to stores and restaurants. I have yet to hear of police meeting any of these "activists" with any type of force. Black guy has a blunted toy sword and the police kill him.

Anime NebrasKon: Jane Porter (Disney's Tarzan) - Haruka Nanase (Free! Iwatobi Swim Club) - Chinese!Sakura Kinomoto (Card Captor Sakura) - Lapras (Pokemon Gijinka) - Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan)
Unread 10-23-2014, 04:56 PM   #13
fujyoshi
half elf flame haze

Ok, being that this involved a black man I must feel the need to go "there". As a black person that honestly scares me(yes I am black). Thats like me going to my local mall taking pictures in my Takuto(ginga bishounen) or Asuna cosplay and the cop shoots me 9 times just because he thought the swords look real <,< I'd like to think that not all cops are bad because I have a dad and brother who are cops but this kinda stuff is going on way too often and now I'm kinda wondering.
Manjoume Jun - Yu-Gi-Oh GX
Unread 10-23-2014, 07:26 PM   #14
CalvaryRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuruttaKanashii View Post
This man was gunned down for being a black guy with a toy sword. The cosplay community has lost one of ours over bigotry.
It's so easy to think "an innocent man has nothing to fear" when it comes to cosplay, to assume we're protected. But these are troubling times...
He was not a cosplayer. Pictures of him at the scene just before the shooting show he was dressed in street clothes.

Also, I'd point out that this happened in front of a mall. If he was running away while carrying a sword, it's not unreasonable for the police to conclude he might stab someone, or take a hostage.

FrostCon
G Anime
Anime North
Anime Central
Otakon
Anime Expo
Otakuthon
Youmacon

Last edited by CalvaryRider : 10-23-2014 at 07:28 PM.
Unread 10-23-2014, 07:38 PM   #15
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuruttaKanashii

He was carrying a sword, but he was not cosplaying. The pictures had clearly shown that he wasn't cosplaying, and he wasn't cosplaying Mugen from Samurai Champloo. He also wasn't going to an anime or sci-fi convention.

The Daily Dot article even put in an update on their article, in order to to correct their initial assumptions that he was cosplaying:

Quote:
Update: A new photo of Hunt taken before the altercation has been published by the Guardian and ABC. Judging from his appearance, it's unlikely he was cosplaying as Mugen and that any similarities were coincidental. We have updated this story and our headline for clarity.
http://www.dailydot.com/news/darrien...splaying/?fbdd

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...amily-attorney

Last edited by Hakaider : 10-23-2014 at 07:42 PM.
Closed Thread