Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 05-23-2016, 12:28 AM   #1
josplay
Josplay

What inspires you to cosplay and what keeps you going?

I've been thinking about the reasons one cosplays, of course it's going to be different for everyone, so I want to know.

One (fundamental) reason for why I do it is because I just like to dress up as x,y,z. Playing dress-up doesn't stop being fun when you get older. Another reason I do it is for attention. I want people to see me in my cosplay at a con and go "Dude that's so awesome, you look awesome! Did you make this? You did a great job!" Attention, validation, all that jazz.

What inspires you to cosplay?
josplay is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-23-2016, 12:37 AM   #2
Respawning

Similar to what you listed: I get to play dress up as an adult; get (usually) positive attention/feedback for some I enjoy. The primary motivating factor, though, is the creative process and challenge of trying something new.

Past costumes: Commander Shepard N7 armour from Mass Effect, Steampunk Valkyrie, Morrigan from Dragon Age, Tiefling Sorcerer from DnD, various random Halloween costumes, Thor Goddess of Thunder
Current/Future costumes: Lady Joker, Polaris from Marvel
Dreamy-dream costumes: Aloy from Horizon: Zero Dawn, Lara Croft from Tomb Raider, Daenarys Targaryen, Lady Groot, Troll/Orc from World of Warcraft
Respawning is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2016, 12:51 AM   #3
Shienra

The weird thing is that I never really liked to dress up (only as a small child), but for some reason I do like to cosplay? Maybe that's partly because other 'dress-up holidays' like Carnival (we don't really celebrate halloween here) are super loud and too busy/'in your face'. (I hope this makes sense somehow haha)

Cosplay is more quiet and I just really like to create stuff. It's a nice change from other stuff that I'm doing. My parents and grandmother are also very supportive and help me out when I need it. :')
And you get something to look forward to! It's very rewarding when you finally finish a piece (even though it probably takes a lot more time than it should)

Future ideas
Merrill - DA2

//Instagram//
Shienra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2016, 01:23 AM   #4
jdcooper97
Huge Nerd

I love the creative process of it. The satisfaction of using usually common or overlooked household supplies and then making something awesome and thinking "this was just cardboard and now it looks like steel armor" is super gratifying. And I love being able to dress up as my favorite characters.

Debuted cosplays:
Link alt. outfit from "Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword"
The Every-Doctor from "Doctor Who"
Will debut this year:
Kylo Ren from "Star Wars"
Nora Valkyrie from "RWBY"
Gangplank from "League of Legends"

Cosplays I've worked on for others:
Deadshot from "Suicide Squad"
Zelda from "Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword"
Weeping Angel from "Doctor Who"
jdcooper97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2016, 06:21 AM   #5
roseandzippin
White and Nerdy

I'm with JD on the common household supplies thing; it's awesome!! Also, I love the whole zealous feeling of walking into a convention, being surrounded by thousands of geeks just like you, and the whole "We're All In This Together" vibe. It's like making a fancy outfit for an extremely enthusiastic costume party.

I'm a Florida graduate student who must choose between following the heart (which wears a flower crown and carries a basket of cookies while skipping along a beach) or following the brain (which wears a graduation cap and carries a clean bill of no student loan debt). So far, I choose to follow both.

Future:

Megacon 2016 - Fem!Link from Twilight Princess

Previous:
Walker Stalker Orlando 2015 - Beth Greene
MegaCon 2015 - Fem!Castiel
roseandzippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2016, 06:59 AM   #6
StarsOfCassiopeia
Sparkle & Shine!

The creative challenge part for sure, but cosplay has just been the thing that my good friends and I do together. Some friend groups go paint balling, some watch movies, some go shopping; my guys get together and build stuff. It's really nice to have a bunch of people around all chatting about crafting in one place!
  • Misc. Revamps (Various): 0% (Planning) Otakon 2016
  • Emperor Lelouch (Code Geass): ??% (Patterning) Katsucon 2017
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook // Instagram // YouTube
StarsOfCassiopeia is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2016, 01:02 PM   #7
ZanyGeek

I've always enjoyed the geekdom environment of cons, but there was less and less for me to do at them in recent years. I stopped collecting back issues because constant reboots made them pointless. The deals at the tables for collectibles haven't been all that great and I'm trying to downsize, so I don't really need more stuff. I also don't have much of a desire to meet celebrities and found a lot of the con panels that I could get into were sometimes hit or miss. While I was waiting for my friends to get autographs, I noticed the cosplayers were having fun just walking around and I thought I would give it a try to see if it could inject some fun back into my con going experience and it sure did.

I also love learning and challenging myself to do things I never thought I could. The sense of accomplishment I get when I figure something out or realize a goal makes me feel energized like nothing else.

Cosplay combines art and craft with logic, thinking, and planning, so it feeds both sides of my brain at the same time.
ZanyGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2016, 01:36 PM   #8
AlaizabelCray
Welcome to My World...

For me, I've always loved the idea of being someone else for a little while, and I feel like this is the right avenue for me to do it. The attention is also pretty nice too, especially when I'm a character that people know and love (or with my genderbends, a unique spin on a character they know and love). With my closet cosplays, it's fun to try and find things that go together to achieve the look I want, and with the stuff I've made from scratch, the creative challenge is also exciting, too. And unveiling everything I wear at a con is so exciting because I fit right in with the colorful blend of people who are also dressed up as different characters.

New Cosplays for 2016:
Titania Asuna (Sword Art Online/Alfheim Online): 50%
Fem!Inumuta (Kill La Kill): 70%

Come stop by my cosplay page!
https://www.facebook.com/AlaizabelCrayCosplay

I've been cast as a voice actress for the second season of this awesome new web series! Come check it out and support all of the talents who worked so hard on it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHwj4oe9OhA
AlaizabelCray is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2016, 02:16 PM   #9
Maurishio-kun
You can call me Mau

I guess is this childhood motivation that once made me dream to be like my favorite characters from the TV, now I feel like I'm making it come true and that's my mindset everytime I choose a character, and it's not only because of their cool clothes (cause honestly it has something to do) but also for their poses and expression, what better than that to keep me going?

I also love to create so giving my variations that adapt me to the characters I like asks me to be creative and make a good variation for the costume.

"Pero no importa, porque me tomo una Agaromba... Y todo me chupa un huevo!"

-Fernandito-
Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2016, 09:28 PM   #10
sooyong
Ninja for Hire

I realize that cosplay makes me feel accomplished. If I take too long of a hiatus from it, I start to get lazy and then depressed, I even start to get low self-esteem. Even if I'm accomplishing other things, nothing makes me feel better about myself than getting everything I need for a cosplay together.

Current Project(s):
Prince Parka Tokiya (Uta no Prince-sama)/Kurosaki Ranmaru (UtaPri: Debut)

Upcoming Events:
Anime Boston/Otakon

sooyong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2016, 08:08 AM   #11
Royalbakaness
Zombie Unicorn

I love dressing up as the characters I love. I love when my friends see me or my pictures and say, "Wow! You look like a totally different person!"
I love the feeling of accomplishment after having made a costume or a prop. And I'm not gonna lie, when someone compliments my work and asks how I did it, I like the feeling of pride in explaining how I did it.
And while typically I do not like being in the spotlight, I do enjoy the attention I get while in cosplay.
I also like it when my non-cosplayer friends need help making a costume or prop for a party, and they come to me for help or advice. It makes me feel useful.
Overall, this hobby just makes me incredibly happy.
Unread 05-24-2016, 01:38 PM   #12
ghosgreen

For me it's the building process. In the years I've been cosplaying I don't really have a lot of money or resources to pull on so it takes me a long time to get stuff done. But helping out my friends that's a different story. Most of them are older and well in a better financial situation then me and are able to pump out costumes faster and get access to some of the really fun stuff and I like making costumes with them. So I help them out a lot and along the way I learn new techniques, get new ideas and get a lot of experience all this with usually without the pressure of meeting a deadline cause I'm just working on a small part and as long as I get it done and on time I'm in the clear. So yeah I like the build process and it's very rewarding for me to see the reactions my friends get when they walk out in their finished costumes and all the compliments they get. Then I can confidently say hey hey I worked on that costume. See that shin armor? Yeah I helped put it together and sand. I did a lot of sanding on that armor. Don't get me wrong I love dressing up but when you're really tight budget and you gotta wait a while to get more materials it gets a little discouraging so in a way it's like I get to live out my dreams and fantasies through my friends and that I do enjoy a lot.
ghosgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 03:04 AM   #13
Sasmi

Smile Yuna Face

When my friend told me that My classmate looks like Yuna, then My friend told me that I seems like my classmate that seems like Yuna~ XD N my my boss told me that I looks like Yuna too~ N im so happy because Yuna is my fav chara n I always to be like her~ <3
Sasmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 11:09 PM   #14
valon_ariga
Dark Overlord of IdolHell

Cosplaying has become a big part of my life, as I dedicated any time that I am not at work, working on cosplay.

I knit/crochet my cosplays and each character is usually a new type of outfit I've never made before, so it's really like training to me. It makes me realize what I'm capable of and that I could do better.

I wouldn't say I do it for attention since I get rather uncomfortable if too many strangers stop me, but it's nice if people say I did a great job. Then I know I succeeded.

Usual cons: NYCC, Katsucon, Otakon. Sometimes ANext, but I definitely wanna try Pax East before I die.

If you wish, you can also speak to me in Japanese or Korean.
valon_ariga is online now   Reply With Quote