Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 03-27-2017, 02:05 AM   #1
dragonslayer015

Rant Feel like I'm phasing out of cosplay

I didn't see a rant section anywhere which was a bit surprising. Well anyways I'm currently working on my Noctis cosplay and I feel like my next con might be my last.

I've been going to cons since high school and I only started cosplaying for around 3 to 4 years after I graduated and got a job. I've learned a lot and I can see why women take so long to get ready makeup takes a while to get right. Personally a lot of my friends don't go to cons anymore and tbh I don't think I've actually made new friends at cons either. Met a bunch of acquaintances tho. Seems like everybody has their own click or is busy with something. Right now I guess I don't see the point in working on cosplay or even attending cons anymore. It doesn't even seem as fun as it use to be.

Putting a cosplay together is definitely challenging and it's nice once everything is complete. I guess I just envisioned in my mind that cosplaying would be more fun, but now it almost feels like a second job that costs me money with no real reward in the end.

Maybe I'm just getting too old, honestly I never thought I would say that since I still watch anime and play video games, that for sure will always be a part of my life. Well lately I've been more interested in cars and wanted to start my own project car for drifting which ironically would probably cost me more money in the long run lol. However I think the adrenaline rush would be very worth it.

Well I'm not certain anything is possible I suppose. I just felt bummed out about cosplay so I wanted to type and get it out there, I hear it's good therapy for when you feel blue. Who knows I might end up sticking to cosplay, but I'm almost certain this could potentially my last con. Heck I'm not even feeling excited, but it would be nice to spend sometime away for a few days. I'll think of it as a mini vacation.

Not sure if anyone else is feeling this, but I'll leave it at that.
dragonslayer015 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-27-2017, 10:55 AM   #2
vonjankmon

Let it go for a little while, you might come back to it. I got out of things for a number of years after my daughter was born, between that and a new house that needed a lot of work I have done very little to no cosplay in years. My daughter is older now and I'm getting back into it. Life goes in phases, you can fight it and be miserable or you can go with the flow a bit.

If you don't want to get out of it entirely do easy cosplays for a while and narrow down your con going to a few favorites and see how you feel after that.
vonjankmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2017, 03:48 PM   #3
Amanita

Yeah, you might just be suffering from burnout- if you've been doing a ton of costumes and going to a lot of events I can see how that might be stressful and suck the fun out. Likewise if you have a lot of other things competing for your time and attention.

Perhaps you really are moving on to other interests, and that's okay. Or perhaps you just need to scale back or take a break for a little while, and that's ok too.
Unread 03-27-2017, 04:56 PM   #4
Respawning

I found that adding other goals has helped maintain my interest. Life certainly does make things difficult though. I'm 33, and recently had my 2nd baby, so it gets hard to see the point of doing this hobby when my time is already limited. So now I focus on just enjoying creating, and plan to work on costumes with no particular event in mind, just so I can have that creative outlet without the pressure of a deadline.

Past costumes:Commander Shepard, Steampunk Valkyrie OC, Tiefling Sorcerer OC, Morrigan, Thor, Daenerys Targaryen
Future costumes: Aloy, Maleficent, Ciri, Satyr/Faun OC
Working on: Victorian/Steampunk gown, femStar Lord

Instagram, Facebook, Facebook Group
Respawning is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2017, 07:13 PM   #5
Mangochutney
probably a frackpants

It's cool if your tastes and interests shift. You don't have any sort of responsibility or duty to keep cosplaying. It's supposed to be fun! Do it or not as it suits you, and how it suits you. Don't worry about it.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Your Mother [Debbie Does Dallas XXIII] (8%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2017, 12:57 AM   #6
dragonslayer015

Thanks for the replies. I think I probably will make my upcoming con the last one for now. Or maybe I just won't stay for the full weekend in the future. Well it was fun while it lasted, but it's time to take a break.
dragonslayer015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2017, 07:48 AM   #7
Sophronia

It's interesting that people can actually grow tired of cosplaying. I may have a different view on that since I started cosplaying just last year and I feel like I could go on forever without stopping. Does everybody feel like this when they start cosplaying or is it just me?
Sophronia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2017, 08:57 PM   #8
Slapthefatcat
The man with the guns.

I'm you from the future!~ LOL.
But seriously, I was at a point where almost all my friends stopped going to cons and my cosplay skills didn't seem to be improving and I just wasn't getting out of it what I wanted. At the same time, I had transferred into a new university, so I decided to hold off on cons entirely (I did find there was a con at the school afterwards, which I've been to once and this year's has been cancelled). I still work on cosplay occasionally because I really do enjoy it.
I am graduating this semester and I absolutely can't wait to start going to cons again and when I can finally dive head-on into cosplay.
To the point of generally enjoying it, it's fine to drop a hobby or something if you do not enjoy it. It's like changing careers or moving somewhere new, there is no point if you do not enjoy it. Find the ones you enjoy and feel are worth your time and do those. You don't have to do everything. And if you feel like making a prop here or a hat there for nostalgia sake, who is gonna stop you?

Possible Future Cosplays
Ippo (Hajime no Ippo)
Guts, Golden Age (Berserk)
Teen Goku (Dragonball/ Dragonball Z)
Steve Rogers civilian uniform (Captain America: First Avenger)

My Facebook cosplay group - Southern Maryland Cosplay (Anyone can join)
Author of the "Getting Fit for Cosplay" Katsucon panel.
Slapthefatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2017, 04:58 PM   #9
AidenCosu

I feel you... this was me a few years ago. I think I just burned out too quickly. Too much cosplaying too fast :/
AidenCosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2017, 02:14 PM   #10
MoonWingSamurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonslayer015 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I think I probably will make my upcoming con the last one for now. Or maybe I just won't stay for the full weekend in the future. Well it was fun while it lasted, but it's time to take a break.
That sounds reasonable. I experienced con burn out a few years ago, so now I cosplay alternate years...or just when I really feel like it.
Unread 04-08-2017, 01:08 PM   #11
AlaizabelCray
Welcome to My World...

I feel this way sometimes, especially recently. I'm in grad school, I'm trying to find a decent job since I need to save up for my own car, and I might be trying to move out of my mom's house within the next year. As it is, I only go to two cons a year and I'm at a point where I don't want to work on my own cosplays anymore. It's easier for me to do closet cosplays or get a commission since I just don't have time anymore to make things myself. I can always pick up where I left off when things get more stable.
Kaori-Performance Outfit (Your Lie in April): 20%

https://www.facebook.com/AlaizabelCrayCosplay

I've been cast as a voice actress for the second season of this awesome new web series! Come check it out and support all of the talents who worked so hard on it!
http://www.limitednight.com/
AlaizabelCray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2017, 07:51 PM   #12
Rahzel
steal back your future.

I get you. I've wanted to cosplay since hs but started during my latter years of college to de-stress and "be myself". I had fun but I am now unemployed and cosplay seems to distract me from job hunting and preparing etc. Furthermore the people at conventions are quite competitive nowadays, always so serious. So I think I'm phasing out of it but really, it is phasing out of me. I am going to finish my P2 cosplay and pause my works too. I don't think it's uninterest, though. Things come and go and it's ok.
Rahzel is offline   Reply With Quote