Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 09-20-2016, 04:25 PM   #1
Maurishio-kun
You can call me Mau

Is this a good choice?

A friend of mine invited me to a Pokémon photo session where other pokémon cosplayers will attend, I chose to cosplay Richie which I planned it for a later event but since I have no pokémon costumes for this event I planned to make it for then.

The problem is that Richie hasn't appeared again in the show in 10 years so I don't know how recognizable could he be, some prople at the photoshoot may not be old enough to remember him, or some may be but don't remember him or haven't watched the show in those early seasons.

I don't mind too much not getting recognized at cons, but this experience will be different, this is a photoshoot and I'll have more interactions with people this time and as I've never did before I'll be exposed to Facebook people, including friends and people to meet.

So would you recognize Richie if you were one of them? Do you think it's a good character choice or should I change him for someone more recognizable?

"I have two dreams in my life: Going to Japan and throwing eggs to Jeannie Mai."

Last edited by Maurishio-kun : 09-21-2016 at 01:32 PM.
Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-20-2016, 04:47 PM   #2
Shienra

It's completely your choice c;
I haven't watched the series since I was a child (I was a huge fan back then though), so I wouldn't recognize the character. But for nostalgic older fans it might even be slightly more exciting?
It just depends on how badly you want to be recognized? I wouldn't worry about the photoshoot experience, as it's still a character from the same series.

Ideas
Chloe Price - Life is Strange (?)

//Instagram//Facebook(cosplay)
Shienra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2016, 12:14 PM   #3
Syon
leads the crusade

The real question is: How badly do you wish to be recognized?
Because to be honest, its not a very prominent character.

I watched the show with passion when I was around 8-10 years old (I just turned 25) and I have to be honest, I wouldn't recognize him. The name rang no bell and I had to google him...which revived some very very faint memory, but mainly because I remembered his Pikachu.

Its your choice. You are probably more than welcome at the photoshoot no matter what character you pick and if you like to be unique, he is probably a good choice. But if its more improtant to you to be recognized as the character, a more prominent character would probably be a better choice.

Working on: Paletress (50%) + upgrading Jainas staff with lights
Next convention: ?
Syon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2016, 03:08 PM   #4
StarsOfCassiopeia
Sparkle & Shine!

Agreed with a lot of what's being said above: I wouldn't recognize him personally, but Pokemon does have a distinct style, and you would fit right in at a group photoshoot meetup with something like that.
  • Blanche (Pokemon GO): 0% (Planning) MAGfest 2017
  • Lelouch [Emperor Robes] (Code Geass) : ??% (Patterning) Katsucon 2017
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook // Instagram // YouTube
StarsOfCassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2016, 06:15 PM   #5
belligerent
Viking Metal

i don't know anything about pokemon so i wouldn't know most of the characters beyond the most recognizable main ones (ash, brock, misty, etc), but if you were with a group of similarly dressed people, i would assume you were from the same show as the rest of them.

sometimes it's good to be a more obscure character. there was a dude who showed up at the otakon sailor moon shoots a couple years ago as melvin/umino/the @-@ glasses dude and he was a big hit because nobody cosplays him.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, England, Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite, Sha Gojyo, Prussia, Shintaro Midorima, Aragorn
Dudes I will be eventually: Guts, Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2016, 10:40 PM   #6
Magyarita
The Cutest Little They

Quote:
Originally Posted by belligerent View Post
i don't know anything about pokemon so i wouldn't know most of the characters beyond the most recognizable main ones (ash, brock, misty, etc), but if you were with a group of similarly dressed people, i would assume you were from the same show as the rest of them.

sometimes it's good to be a more obscure character. there was a dude who showed up at the otakon sailor moon shoots a couple years ago as melvin/umino/the @-@ glasses dude and he was a big hit because nobody cosplays him.
Yeah. You may actually make some of the other cosplayers there really happy to see a rarely cosplayed character!

Moon Moxxi: Borderlands Pre-Sequel
Anastasia: Anastasia
Saul Goodman: Breaking Bad
Benny Gecko: Fallout: New Vegas
Momoko Koigakubo: Ghost Stories (Dub)
Cameron Van Buren -- MPGiS
Malory Archer: Archer
Deandra: MPGiS
Kamala Khan: Ms. Marvel
Vader Eloha/The Queen: OFF
Princess Suwa: Mascot of the city of Suwa, Japan

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/annikaskisses
Magyarita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2016, 03:16 AM   #7
WondererBailey
o3o)/

I'd say just go for it!

Heck, I cosplay Jack Walker and I swear, not a soul knew who I was. But that's alright, because I loved his character in the 9th movie (the dub script for him made me die a little inside, but at least he sounded awesome -cry-).

Edd/Double D - [Ed, Edd, n' Eddy] - 100% / England - [Axis Powers Hetalia] - 95%
Naja Gref - [Sands of Destruction] - 85% / Castiel - [Supernatural] - 100% / Corrin (M) - [FE:F] - 10%

2017 Cons: Kumoricon & Supernatural Con (Seacon & Phnxcon)

Deviantart - Facebook - Tumblr - World Cosplay - Cospix
WondererBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2016, 04:01 PM   #8
SuzuStarlight
Hitohira Kazehana

From a long-term Pokémon-Fan (even though I stopped watching the anime a while ago except for a movie here and there): Hell yes, if you want to cosplay him, then go for it! He might not be that well known and rarely appeared back in the day but he used to be one of my favorites and I was always super-delighted to see him in an episode! I'm sure if there's a lot of Pokémon Fans at the meet-up, some of them will also feel like that and be super-happy to see such a rare character cosplayed

~Up Next~
Medic ~Human Form~ (Kamen Rider Drive)
SuzuStarlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2016, 10:22 PM   #9
TitanSlayer000
Eh

I think it's a good idea! It's always nice to see characters that aren't cosplayed often.
Somehow I don't remember Richie, but I do remember Sparky. I bet if you had a Pikachu with the extra fuzz on top of his head like his it could increase your chance of being recognized.