Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 03-24-2015, 11:18 PM   #1
AntonJackson

first time cosplaying, any advice?

hello everyone well after years of being to shy and unconfident I've decided to finally cosplay this year at anime expo, im going to be the male version of hatsune miku from Love is war. well im still nervous about it but im going to try my best not to. can you guys tell me what to expect? like am I going to get made fun of on my way there? etc.. thanks.
AntonJackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-24-2015, 11:30 PM   #2
WondererBailey
Bailey's Cosplay

Howdy! And welcome to a wonderful, fun, and highly educational hobby! I won't sugar coat it, cosplay can call for a thick skin HOWEVER, you will find that pretty much everyone is pretty nice. We're all weirdos who dress up in crazy costumes here o3o)b *said with much love*.

But anyway! I'll be hopefully attending AX this year, first time. Just from what I've heard it's HUGE. I doubt you'll be given any problems....but I can't say from experience ^_^)".

I think there's a Vocaloid gathering too...you should check that out. There's an AX forum that has all the gatherings listed.

But yeah, cosplaying is really fun!

2015 Cons: Anime Expo - Kumoricon - Yaoicon

Deviantart - Facebook - Tumblr - World Cosplay - Cosplay Lab - ACParadise
WondererBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2015, 01:09 AM   #3
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Yay for Vocaloid cosplays lol
First, welcome
Second, time for some answers:
As for your only real question, "will I be made fun of on my way there?"
Depends really. Miku has become pretty well known, even outside the vocaloid fandom. In fact, it's almost like how Dragonball is..You can hate anime and everything to do with it, but you will still know who Goku is and be able to recognize him no matter what. Miku is getting that well known so it shouldn't be "odd" for people to see someone in a Miku wig anymore..
There will ALWAYS be people who make fun of others for any given thing..Just remember, these people are not worth your time in the first place. They are nobodies who's opinions mean zilch.

As far as what to expect at a con, there are way too many things, but for sure hit up the dealers hall and artist alley for some awesome goodies.
And like mentioned, be sure to hit up the Vocaloid Photo Shoot/Gathering. Going on the forum of that specific con, you should find the details you need. There's an AX forum here too, which might have the shoot listed as well in there. Photo shoots are not only fun as all hell, but a GREAT way to make friends with people who like you already know like the same stuff.
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts II)
-Cloud (Dissidia: Final Fantasy)
-Chandelure (Pokemon)
-Akaito (Vocaloid)
-Spirit (Soul Eater)
Jei-Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2015, 12:24 PM   #4
KittyAngel
cute little kitty >^.^<

Wink

Hello

First off, welcome to the hobby and glad you're with us. If you need any help or if you're stuck on something, please do let us know and we'll try to help as best we can

Anyway, my overall advice to you is expect the unexpected. You never know what's going to happen at a convention. Also, there are haters in every hobby and the world in general, including this hobby, but just ignore them

From my experience, I've yet to encounter any haters, elitists, or mean people in this hobby, but that doesn't mean that they're not there. Cosplay who you want to and have fun doing so

DeviantArt.com
JapaneseBlossomKitty
KittyAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2015, 11:41 PM   #5
shellysunfish

My advice is ...
- Having fun is the most important thing
- Go to the Vocaloid cosplay gathering
- Take pics with other people/cosplayers
- If you're wearing a wig, use a wig cap
shellysunfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 12:10 PM   #6
EvilLittleKiss
Profound Historical Youth

Yay! The first time is always exciting! (As are the rest of the times, lol.)

I've been going to cons for 5 years now, and I've yet to have anyone bully me for my cosplay. But if it happens, just remember that the person doing it is so pathetic that they have nothing better to do than to try to make themself feel better by trying to hurt someone else's feelings. If it gets bad, you can go to con security or staff and have them step in.

Make sure to stay hydrated, eat 3 full meals, and get enough sleep. It's easy to forget to do those things at cons, and forgetting to do them can make you feel really crappy and ruin your day.

Benny Gecko: Fallout: New Vegas
Momoko Koigakubo: Ghost Stories (Dub)
Snow White -- Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Princess Tiana -- Princess and the Frog
Malory Archer: Archer
Deandra: MPGiS
Kamala Khan: Ms. Marvel
Anna Cornonation Dress: Frozen
Vader Eloha/The Queen: OFF
Princess Suwa: Mascot of the city of Suwa, Japan

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/annikaskisses
Sewing blog: http://www.annikakisskisses.blogspot.com