Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 02-11-2017, 10:00 AM   #1
XthDr

I feel silly in cosplay

Hello
I' m posting this to see if anyone has any tips or advice, because I feel it ruins a bit my cosplay experience.
I love cosplaying, I like wearing the costumes and going to conventions. My cosplays are allright, people usually know who I am and take pictures and everything. However, I just can't stop feeling silly the moment I put on the cosplay and go out. I would like to act out the character's personality a bit more, but not only I can't, I even get a bit shy, and I' m not even like that in my regular life, only in cosplay. So not only I end up acting anything like the character, I don't even act up anything like myself.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
XthDr is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-11-2017, 10:39 AM   #2
KuruttaKanashii
Tempest in a Teapot

Maybe you could get a friend or two to go in cosplay from the same series? You might feel better if you're around people you know well.
Finished Cosplay: Death (SANDMAN), Trinity (The Matrix), Austria (Axis Powers Hetalia), Izaya (Durarara!!), Mey-Rin (Black Butler), Dodo, Dalekח, Mags (Doctor Who), Femme!Gambit (X-MEN), Poison Ivy (BATMAN)
Future Cosplay: MEIKO ver. Lorelei (Vocaloid), Spellcheck (Microsoft Word), Meryl Stryfe (Trigun), the Mangle (FNaF), Peridot (Steven Universe)

For cosplay photos and selfies, please visit my tumblr
KuruttaKanashii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2017, 11:27 AM   #3
belligerent
Viking Metal

most things humans do for enjoyment are inherently silly. cosplay is not particularly moreso than anything else. we get into steel cages and go as fast as possible, expecting that other people doing the same thing don't crash into us. we consume things we know are bad for us for the sole purpose of feeling a different way. some people do both of those things at the same time despite knowing it's fucked up, they or others could die, or they could go to jail. humans are inherently silly, as a species.

it's okay to feel silly when you're doing something*. eventually you'll get used to it and stop caring.

there are always going to be people who stare at you, but just ignore them. as mentioned, a group can help you build confidence. i also find that cosplaying things that are very obviously removed from uh normal characters can help shift your perspective. if you're super obviously wearing a costume and not trying to look normal, it removes the weird awkward area where people are trying to figure out what you're doing. if you're really obviously in armor or something (or in body paint, or a recognizable character) people are going to ask you what's going on, vs "what are you supposed to be?"

characters with masks or ones that you alter appearance so much that you look less like you can also be good for confidence boosts. have you ever noticed how deadpools and homestuck trolls seem to give zero fucks? it's because looking different gives you a sense of a different identity, so you're less self-conscious. except then a lot of people go to the place where they're "annoying" and you shouldn't do that.

(*as long as it is legal and will not likely get people hurt, killed, or traumatized. if the thing you're doing is likely to cause those things, DONT FUCKING DO IT)
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, England, Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite, Sha Gojyo, Prussia, Shintaro Midorima, Aragorn
Dudes I will be eventually: Guts, Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago

Last edited by belligerent : 02-11-2017 at 12:33 PM.
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2017, 04:47 PM   #4
XthDr

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuruttaKanashii View Post
Maybe you could get a friend or two to go in cosplay from the same series? You might feel better if you're around people you know well.
I' ve been trying to, but I find actually very hard to find people that would like to conventions with me, much more in cosplay. I usually just go alone and end up either meeting someone new at the convention or finding acquaintances that I knew from other conventions, but hasn't helped me too much.

I haven't cosplayed anyone with a mask yet.

I think it's related to the fact that I don't like to act in general because I feel like I' m lying or deceiving people, except I make it really obvious. I wonder if it happens to anyone else.
Unread 02-11-2017, 05:03 PM   #5
Shienra

Quote:
Originally Posted by XthDr View Post

I think it's related to the fact that I don't like to act in general because I feel like I' m lying or deceiving people, except I make it really obvious. I wonder if it happens to anyone else.

Then don't act c; Only act for pictures if that makes you more comfortable!
I don't like acting either, so I'm always being myself at conventions unless I'm asked to pose for a picture. Most people at conventions don't seem to act like their characters.

Chloe Price - Life is Strange
Ciri alternative outfit - The Witcher
Merrill - Dragon age 2 (2018)

//Instagram//Facebook(cosplay)//
Shienra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2017, 05:14 PM   #6
XthDr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shienra View Post
Then don't act c; Only act for pictures if that makes you more comfortable!
I don't like acting either, so I'm always being myself at conventions unless I'm asked to pose for a picture. Most people at conventions don't seem to act like their characters.
I don't, but the mere fact of wearing a cosplay to me is already acting, because I' m pretending to be someone else, even if I don't say anything. That's why I feel silly/get shy and don't even act like myself.
What I was wondering if it's there was some sort of exercise, or mental trick, or something I could do to feel more confortable.
Unread 02-11-2017, 05:38 PM   #7
Respawning

I don't act as my characters either because I would feel very silly about that too. I'm typically an introvert, except when I'm at cons then I talk to ALL OF THE PEOPLE. Like mentioned, try to find others to cosplay with you, see if there are any Facebook cosplay groups for your con/area and reach out to people on there if no one in your social circle are interested. Also, as mentioned, wearing something that involves a mask/helmet or something helps you to feel a bit more anonymous. I also now try to always include a prop of some sort into my cosplay so that I can have some easy and ready-made poses if people want a picture.

As for mental exercises, there's not much I can help you with. Practice some poses at home in the mirror so you know what looks good, and just try to hype yourself up as best you can. And remember, if you feel silly about being dressed up, well there are a whole lot of other people there who are dressed up too so you're not the only one.

Past costumes:Commander Shepard, Steampunk Valkyrie, Tiefling Sorcerer, Morrigan of Dragon Age, Thor Goddess of Thunder, Daenerys Targaryen
Future costumes: Aloy, Maleficent, Ciri, Steampunk gown

part of Pixelated Cosplay group on Facebook, @cathartic_creation on Instagram
Respawning is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2017, 05:42 PM   #8
GenLover

I used to feel silly and awkward in cosplay (It's noticeable in some of my pics) but one way to help you get over it? Is take photos of you in your cosplay. Dress up and have a friend take photos of you and post them. Take selfies. Just get more comfortable with dressing up in general.
The wandering soul knows no rest.

My Page

2017 Convention List:
Anime Crossroads ~ February 24-26, 2017
Indiana Comic Con ~ April 14-16, 2017
GenLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2017, 10:25 PM   #9
belligerent
Viking Metal

i only cosplay drunks so it's easy for me to be in character at conventions. it's almost like i plan that.

i think you're looking at acting the wrong way. acting for a photograph is about becoming someone else for a moment in time. nobody expects you to actually be that character unless they are either very young or out of touch with reality. completely "becoming" the character, imo, feels less like lying or being deceptive because it's an obvious conscious decision on your part. i'm also an introvert but i have done some fairly high profile panels in character (if any of you ever saw ask a nation at katsu in the last few years run by an england, hi sup). i'm much more comfortable doing that than running around "in character" at a con because it's easy to separate myself if i'm doing it on purpose on my own terms.

ie, putting on an act.

you also don't have to do this at all. if you're just self-conscious, i don't know what to tell you. are you self-conscious normally? what things make you feel silly when not in cosplay?

i also bypass a lot of this stuff by cosplaying from fandoms i know sweet dick-all about. i won an award for a cosplay of a character from a game i had never played before. if you don't know anything about the character, you can just be like hey man, i don't go here, i'm just completing the group/doing this for art's sake/lost a bet/etc.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, England, Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite, Sha Gojyo, Prussia, Shintaro Midorima, Aragorn
Dudes I will be eventually: Guts, Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2017, 09:25 AM   #10
XthDr

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenLover View Post
I used to feel silly and awkward in cosplay (It's noticeable in some of my pics) but one way to help you get over it? Is take photos of you in your cosplay. Dress up and have a friend take photos of you and post them. Take selfies. Just get more comfortable with dressing up in general.
Thanks for the advice, I will try to take more pictures to see if it helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belligerent View Post

you also don't have to do this at all. if you're just self-conscious, i don't know what to tell you. are you self-conscious normally? what things make you feel silly when not in cosplay?

i also bypass a lot of this stuff by cosplaying from fandoms i know sweet dick-all about. i won an award for a cosplay of a character from a game i had never played before. if you don't know anything about the character, you can just be like hey man, i don't go here, i'm just completing the group/doing this for art's sake/lost a bet/etc.
Thank you. This is actually very interesting and it got me thinking. I guess I' m self conscious when I do not know something I feel I am supposed to know. All the characters I choose to cosplay are the ones that I like mostly because they interest me psychologically. I wouldn't even think about dressing up as someone or pretending to be someone I know nothing about, therefore, I try to learn everything about the character, including their motivations and thoughts, why they do what they do, what they think, how they would act in a particular situation. That probably constitutes a source of anxiety. If I was just dressed up as something generic, then I would be fine, I wouldn't care, because I wouldn't expect anything.
Unread 02-13-2017, 02:37 PM   #11
12WolfZ
Tiger! Tiger!

Quote:
I would like to act out the character's personality a bit more, but not only I can't, I even get a bit shy, and I' m not even like that in my regular life, only in cosplay. So not only I end up acting anything like the character, I don't even act up anything like myself.
Maybe you should start by just being your regular self while in the costume. Then build up from there. There are many ways to act out a character.

I like to just be myself while in cosplay. I don't enjoy the role-playing aspect many cosplayers tap into. I too find it silly. If asked for a picture, then I usually strike a pose that reflects more of who the character is in the game/series/whatever.

Remember, you're wearing a COSTUME. You're still you. No reasonable person EXPECTS you to fool them; they know it's just a costume. Don't put too much pressure on yourself over this. Wear the costume. Don't let the costume wear you against your will.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Aferjackcosplayz

Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdV...fgPL9mNxnCGgRw

Last edited by 12WolfZ : 02-13-2017 at 02:44 PM.
12WolfZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2017, 02:59 PM   #12
XthDr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12WolfZ View Post
Maybe you should start by just being your regular self while in the costume. Then build up from there. There are many ways to act out a character.
That's what I have been trying these years, to act normal. But while a lot of people put on a costume and feel more confident, I put on the costume and feel less. So I' m just talking about it to see if by doing that I figure out what the problem might be.

I think it might be related to what I think people should expect (that might not be what people actually expects, which is probably nothing). For example, I feel and act more confident than what I am in the rest of my regular life when I' m with a patient, it's like all of a sudden I have this rush of confidence, even my voice sounds louder and clearer, I call it "getting into doctor mode". I would like something like that to happen when cosplaying, instead of the opposite.
Unread 02-15-2017, 01:43 AM   #13
Hemist
Whatever

Quote:
What I was wondering if it's there was some sort of exercise, or mental trick, or something I could do to feel more confortable.
This is going to sound ridiculous, but I like DBZ a lot so I do it anyway. I sometimes "power-up yell" in a mirror or something, it probably helps that I'm doing a Trunks cosplay. Most of the time I just listen to music, usually something inspiring, or something to hype me up, or even just something upbeat.

I guess just find something that works for you.
Unread 02-15-2017, 04:22 PM   #14
Zoeyromanov
Performapal Leon

It will take some time to get used to, I felt the same way the first time I put on a wig and everything. If you feel the need to act as your character (although not neccassary it can be fun) that can help. You can just be your normal self. A lot of us on here are shy just as much as you are; myself included. It can definitely feel strange seeing as your dressing yourself in outfits we don't see everyday, but just remember to have fun and let it sink in. You'll end up getting used to it.

Thinking of:
Rin, Yugioh Arc-V
Cyber Blader, Yugioh GX
Season 4 Jaden Yuki, Yugioh GX
-
Visit: deviantart | tumblr
Zoeyromanov is offline   Reply With Quote