Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 04-07-2017, 06:42 AM   #1
Sophronia

cosplay a character for resemblance?

Just wondering what do you guys look for in a character you want to cosplay as?
Do you care about the resemblance or is it important to you to have an attachment to the character?
For me personally, I prefer to cosplay a character I like very much rather than for resemblance only. I feel much more comfortable in a costume if I have some sort of connection to that character. I don't know how you feel about this?
Please let me know!
Sophronia is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-07-2017, 08:56 AM   #2
division-ten
Yes, I AM an Albino

Im 30. Overweight. Female. Size DD chest.

Aaaaand then you look at my profile pic...
Otakon: '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14
Zenkaicon: '09
Katsucon: '10, '15, '16
Animenext: '10, '11, '14
division-ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2017, 09:27 AM   #3
Amethya

I try to find may with my hair color and lenght if I can, because I don't like wigs and I can't find good ones either, so I find characters who have dark brown or black hair.
Amethya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2017, 10:40 AM   #4
GraceHound
Nikki V

You couldn't possibly tell since I have no photos uploaded here (yet!), but I prefer the attachment to character over simply resembling them; might get stuck with a character I feel no affection towards otherwise - not to mention it'd be pretty limiting, since I haven't stumbled across a lot of characters who have similar features to me.
GraceHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2017, 11:02 AM   #5
DeBeaumont

I've noticed that I tend to cosplay characters who have similar personalities to myself. I also tend to cosplay characters that are my "mains" in multiplayer games or blank slate RPG main characters.
DeBeaumont is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2017, 11:05 AM   #6
Maurishio-kun
17 forever!!

I almost have no resemblance with any anime character so I try to fix myself as much as possible to have a good appearance for the costume, thankfully now I can fix my skin color now that I bought a Panda cream, practically there's nothing you can't do anymore to look like the character you want with all these available resources.

Saying that I wouldn't cosplay any character I'm not interested in, I always choose characters I love and that passion and love for them is my fuel to move on on making the costumes, I wouldn't spend lots of money, effort and time in a character I'm not passionate about, it makes no sense to me. Most of those characters may not have any similarity with me but that's part of the fun.

"I have two dreams in my life: Going to Japan and throwing eggs to Jeannie Mai."

Last edited by Maurishio-kun : 04-07-2017 at 11:07 AM.
Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2017, 11:52 AM   #7
KuruttaKanashii
Tempest in a Teapot

Both! There's a lot of characters who look like me (white, short, slim, busty, round face), but I also cosplay characters with whom I share only one or two features...
Finished Cosplay: Death (SANDMAN), Trinity (The Matrix), Austria (Axis Powers Hetalia), Izaya (Durarara!!), Mey-Rin (Black Butler), Dodo, Dalekח, Mags (Doctor Who), Femme!Gambit (X-MEN), Poison Ivy (BATMAN)
Future Cosplay: MEIKO ver. Lorelei (Vocaloid), Spellcheck (Microsoft Word), Meryl Stryfe (Trigun), the Mangle (FNaF), Peridot (Steven Universe)

For cosplay photos and selfies, please visit my tumblr
KuruttaKanashii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2017, 12:50 PM   #8
Tiffany_Park

Personally, I never worry about it. I look like absolutely no comic or anime (or really, even live-action) character in existence, so I'd never cosplay anything at all if I worried about physical resemblance. Once you get the costume, wig, and makeup on, it's all fine. Most people are looking at the character, not at you. So to speak. (I often say that I don't wear the costume, but rather that the costume wears me. LOL)

Now, as far as being attached to the character, well, it depends. I've done some characters that I like, but also I've done one I don't really care about but it was for a group (Filia Ul Copt--I like the character, but she wasn't something I'd have spent effort on without there being some other reason). That was probably the costume I have put the most effort and money into! LOL. I'm perfectly open to doing a costume just because I think it looks cool and I want to wear it. I've also done a couple that were just easy and fun and comfy to wear, like Squirrel Girl and my Weyland Yutani scientist. So you may have multiple reasons to do various costumes and it's all okay.

I think the only costumes I'd rule out would be for characters I actively dislike or am disgusted by (no matter how pretty the outfit).

Last edited by Tiffany_Park : 04-07-2017 at 01:03 PM.
Tiffany_Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2017, 02:10 PM   #9
Scunosi

I don't normally let resemblance impact my choice, but the characters I do usually have some similarity at least, even if it's just they're also female. But if I like a character enough (or their design fits my needs aka quick and easy) I'll do it regardless.

There's really only 3 reasons I won't do a character. The first is if I'm thinking of doing a character that's a glaringly obvious different race (or at least appears to be) from me. I planned on doing Garnet from SU at one point, and eventually scrapped it for other reasons, but nowadays I'm not sure if I'd do her. I kind of go back and forth between feeling like I'd be comfortable with it and worrying if I'd stress out about it too much. At this point it's been so long I feel like I'd rather do other characters I care more about anyway.

The second reason would be if the character's body type is "important" to the character. I'd looooove to do Dr. Mrs. the Monarch but her voluptuous body is an important part of who she is and I honestly can't match that right now. Normally I wouldn't let my body type hold me back (after all I did skimpy and lithe Lunara looking like I do) but when I love a character that much I want to do it "perfect" so that does hold me back. Luckily with a character like Dr. Mrs. she's got a huge wardrobe I could pull from (albeit most of it is pretty skimpy) so I could make something that fits me better.

The third reason is just feasibility. Those giant cosplays that can't be moved (D.Va mechs, GladOS setups, etc.) look amazing, but I'm not that into the cosplay world that I'm willing to deal with that. I want to still be able to enjoy a con rather than being stationary, and I also have to be able to build it in an apartment. That's why I didn't do a full centaur getup with extra legs for Lunara, as much as I would've loved to do so. Maybe when I have a house I'll get a little more ambitious, but for now I think I've reached about the extend of what's reasonable to accomplish with such little space.

Upcoming Conventions
---

Latest cosplay
Wicke (Pokémon Sun and Moon)

Working On
---
Scunosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2017, 02:25 PM   #10
MoonWingSamurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophronia View Post
Just wondering what do you guys look for in a character you want to cosplay as?
Do you care about the resemblance or is it important to you to have an attachment to the character?
For me personally, I prefer to cosplay a character I like very much rather than for resemblance only. I feel much more comfortable in a costume if I have some sort of connection to that character. I don't know how you feel about this?
Please let me know!
The first time I ever cosplayed (way back in 2005) I thought it would be easier to select a character I sort of resembled with a simpler costume rather than one that was more complicated since I was just a beginner. (That was Maetel from Galaxy Express 999, and luckily I actually like this character as well.) Once I got over the jitters of cosplaying at a con for the first time, I immediately decided to step up my game, and for my second cosplay I went with a character that wears gold armor from head to toe...and is male! I had never made faux armor before, so it was a real challenge. With all the time, energy and money that goes into a costume build, I do prefer to choose characters to which I have a personal connection, and those are primarily 1970's live-action tokusatsu heroes (that also means I'm crossplaying as a male 99% of the time).
Unread 04-07-2017, 03:31 PM   #11
fabrickind
Aspiring Senpai

I do both. I'm lucky in that I somehow end up usually looking like the characters I like best (weird how that works out), but looks and what I think I could pull off do factor in to my choices. Not always, but if there's multiple characters from the same series that I'm considering, I might factor that in. Looks are more likely to be used in a negative sense than a positive one, though, in that I'm more likely to eliminate a character or never consider a character because I can't physically pull them off (like...most male characters, really). I usually only choose a character based on looks if it's a series where I don't have strong feelings towards any one particular character, or if I'm part of a group.

So I cosplay Pearl because she's my favorite and it's just a bonus that I look like her. Never really considered cosplaying, say, Garnet, partly because I couldn't pull her off. As much as I'd want to cosplay, for example, Dio, I'm never going to be buff enough to be happy with that, even if I did a genderbend. I would cosplay several Utena characters regardless of looks because I love them all, even if looks-wise I'd make a better, let's say, Shiori than Kozue, I'd probably choose Kozue because I like her better. Probably never going to cosplay radically outside of my body type or skin tone or do a true male-presenting cosplay because I'm not comfortable with that. etc.

So it factors in somewhat, but it is rarely the main deciding factor unless it's to eliminate a cosplay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonWingSamurai View Post
Once I got over the jitters of cosplaying at a con for the first time, I immediately decided to step up my game, and for my second cosplay I went with a character that wears gold armor from head to toe...and is male! I had never made faux armor before, so it was a real challenge.
Saint Seiya?
Unread 04-07-2017, 03:56 PM   #12
DarkEyedStray

I'd say both but to different degrees. Certainly there has to be an attachment to the character for me to consider cosplaying them. And it just so happens I'm naturally drawn to characters who also bare a resemblance, it's not something I really worry about either though.
DarkEyedStray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2017, 04:03 PM   #13
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

I usually cosplay characters that I find to be either my favorite character (for any reason that they become that) or characters I feel will help me learn more in the making process, so like, I never used EVA foam to do armor before I made my current Cloud cosplay, so I decided to use that as a learning cosplay to use his shoulder armor as a starting point in learning with it.
-Gohan (DBZ/SSJ1)
-Red (Pokemon Fire Red)
-Akaito (Vocaloid)
Jei-Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2017, 05:28 PM   #14
MoonWingSamurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrickind View Post
Saint Seiya?
Yep! I was Gold Saint Virgo Shaka in 2006.
Unread 04-07-2017, 09:11 PM   #15
Respawning

I somewhat look for a character I resemble, or at least one I think I could "pull off", but I try not to really limit myself to that (make up and wigs can do wonders). Mostly I'm drawn to characters I like, which are generally bad ass in some way.

Past costumes:Commander Shepard, Steampunk Valkyrie OC, Tiefling Sorcerer OC, Morrigan, Thor, Daenerys Targaryen, Steampunk OC
Future costumes: Aloy, Maleficent, Ciri, Satyr/Faun OC

Instagram, Facebook, Facebook Group
Respawning is offline   Reply With Quote