Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 08-29-2015, 12:42 PM   #1
Maurishio-kun
You can call me Mau

Lightbulb Skippable cosplay features

Which costume features have you seen in some characters that you didn't consider necessary or too hard to make and skipped them?

For my Haku cosplay I'll probably skip the blue underpants because they're not too visible in the movie so I find not really necessary to make.

"Dear adults: If no one asks for your opinion about love shut the fuck up, and if someone asks for your opinion about love shut the fuck up too!"

-Don Ramón-
Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-29-2015, 01:02 PM   #2
HandsomeCosplay
I've got too much fabric!

I have changed parts like on my Borderlands the Presequel Jack, I did switch the Jakobs pistol for a Hyperion pistol which was easier and made more sense. I've left things out of some other cosplays though entirely, like Kidd's tattoo, which if the shirt is closed, doesn't show anyway.

Flannery (Pattern Fussing, Pokemon ORAS)
Kinu (Satsuki, KLK)
Wolf Dad (Planning, Wolf Children)

Booked for Otakon 2016, fingers crossed for Katsucon 2016

Tumblr Facebook
HandsomeCosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2015, 01:26 PM   #3
Llewella
100% Tony Stark Trash

For me, an 'always skip' is eye colour. When I cosplay a character, I only do it once, on the day of the con, so it makes no sense to pay $30+ for a pair of contacts I won't use again. To me, something like correct eye colour is only a minor thing. In my opinion, if the character is still recognisable without the thing you're taking away then it's totally fine, unless you have to have it exact for some reason.
2012, Brisnova: Edward Elric
2013, Goldnova: Shuichi Shindou
2013, Brisnova: Kiba Inuzuka
2014, Brisnova: Hinata Shouyou
2015, Goldnova: Allen Walker (Black Order Uniform)

Upcoming Cosplays
2015, Brisnova: Tony Stark-planning
Llewella is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2015, 01:50 PM   #4
Cameron1138
Kingslayer

Eye color is pretty much the one thing I always skip no matter what. I was honestly quite surprised when I first found out that some cosplayers actually go that far; maybe it's because I'm terrible at making eye contact but I absolutely never notice eye color in person and only rarely notice it in pictures, unless it's a face close-up. Also, I'm terrified of putting things in my eyes and don't want to spend that much money on such a tiny detail.

I also usually skip wigs since I hate wearing them, but because of that I try to only cosplay characters who have hair that at least roughly resembles my own.

I tend to like to change smaller details like weapons and accessories as well, particularly if it's for a character from a game that lets you customize yourself (for instance, using different swords and guns for my Assassin's Creed cosplays).

In progress: Shay Patrick Cormac - 45%; Jacob Frye - 25%; Arno Dorian (alt outfit) - planning; Jaime Lannister (season 4/5 red jacket) - 10%; Mad Max - 90%; Otso Berg - planning

Future/considering: Daryl Dixon, improved Vash, Edward Kenway, the Driver
Cameron1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2015, 02:23 PM   #5
TitanSlayer000
Eh

I skip eye color too. I have problem with my eyes and they irritate very easily so wearing contacts wouldn't be worth it for me.
Unread 08-29-2015, 02:37 PM   #6
TearsOfSunday
Welcome to My World...

For me, I usually skip eye color too. Contacts are expensive!

Sometimes I'll skip props depending on what the prop is and whether or not I can make it with my budget, skill level, and time.

Animeland Wasabicon 2015: Human Luna (Sailor Moon)
NDK 2015: Friday: Human Luna (Sailor Moon)
Saturday: Fem!Usopp (One Piece)
Saturday Night: Rainbow Dash (MLP)
Sunday: Fem!France (Hetalia)

All my cosplay/randomness goes here:
http://americandreamgirl98.deviantart.com/
TearsOfSunday is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2015, 02:44 PM   #7
jdcooper97

I skip basically every facial feature that isn't something like a scar or facial hair. I disregard hair color and for the most part the style of the hair unless their hair is super iconic to that character.
Unread 08-29-2015, 02:56 PM   #8
JediofTime
Use the Triforce Link

I skip a ton with Link. I don't like using makeup, hair gel, hair dye, wigs, and contacts for him because I hate wearing them. I only do his ears. I also take pride in that I already look like him naturally out of cosplay. I have naturally blond hair, green eyes which is close enough to blue, and look similar to him naturally with everything else too.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt: "Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort."

Conventions Attending:
2015 Anime Expo
2016 Anime LA

Costumes:
Jedi Link 1.0 Complete
Jedi Link 2.0 Complete
Hero's Shade: 80% complete.
Future Cosplay plans:
Majora's Mask Skull Kid
Jedi Link 3.0
Mewtwo
JediofTime is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2015, 03:06 PM   #9
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

For Sakura I made a faux under dress by attaching a fooler at the hem of the bottom of the main dress. It wasn't necessary to an actual double shirt so beep that haha.
BLOG - LINK
mokulen22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2015, 04:00 PM   #10
TMLiza
Make All The Things!

Other than eye color I also skip ahoges and hairs that randomly stick out for no reason. The character is usually pretty recognizable without it.

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

TMLiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2015, 04:47 PM   #11
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I either have all the pieces (can't make a certain prop, Ill use a different prop that works with them. I almost always wear colour contacts but I certainly won't go telling those who don't to do so because it's certainly not for everyone) or I don't cosplay them unless it's something that in no way would show on the costume, like say an undershirt that doesn't show much and I plan to keep the thing worn overtop closed all the time. I might as well walk outside naked if I go to an event in an incomplete costume because it'll feel the exact same (especially when I could easily just pick something else if comfort or whatnot is an issue).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2015, 05:11 PM   #12
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

I skip eye color, like most people who've already responded, any kind of tooth or denture modifications unless they're really straightforward and cheap, and I'm not too fussy about shoes.

If it comes right down to it I'll skip or exaggerate pretty much any detail that makes the costume more fun to make or wear, because that's what I enjoy. But the eyes and teeth pretty reliably fall by the wayside.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Your Mother [Debbie Does Dallas XXIII] (8%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2015, 07:05 PM   #13
belligerent
Viking Metal

Eye color, unless the character has red eyes since I have red contacts.

Some characters I do have brown boots but I wear black ones and nobody has raked me over the coals for it. They're nice boots. It's almost impossible to find tall, durable boots in mens sizes in brown for under $300.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Poland, England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite, Sha Gojyo, Prussia, Shintaro Midorima
Dudes I will be eventually: Guts, Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2015, 08:14 PM   #14
AnimeLuxray25
Rampardos! ♥

I second eye color. I hate the idea of putting a little plastic thingie in my eye that cost thirty bucks with twenty dollar shipping that doesn't do anything else. No thanks. It's really not a huge deal unless the eyes are iconic or something. Hmm...I don't think I "skipped" anything else that's super major. I'm debating on whether to add a tail or not in my Leafeon cosplay for next year since it should be recognizable without it. If not a full-blown tail then it might be some colored ribbons or something that kinda resemble it.

~ " don't judge other cosplayers, 'cause in the end we all look silly wearing wig caps " :3 ~

2015 Cosplay: Poochyena Gijinka. [Pokémon] - 100%
2016 Cosplay: Leafeon Gijinka. [Pokémon] - 50%

2015 Conventions: Omni Expo, Anime Festival Orlando, Holiday Matsuri.

deviantART: AnimeLuxray25
GPXplus: AnimeLuxray25(Feed my Pokémon! :3)
AnimeLuxray25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2015, 08:20 PM   #15
JediofTime
Use the Triforce Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeLuxray25 View Post
I hate the idea of putting a little plastic thingie in my eye that cost thirty bucks with twenty dollar shipping that doesn't do anything else. No thanks. It's really not a huge deal unless the eyes are iconic or something.
Even if the eyes are iconic or something, I will never use contacts. I find them too dangerous because you can go permanently blind wearing them.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt: "Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort."

Conventions Attending:
2015 Anime Expo
2016 Anime LA

Costumes:
Jedi Link 1.0 Complete
Jedi Link 2.0 Complete
Hero's Shade: 80% complete.
Future Cosplay plans:
Majora's Mask Skull Kid
Jedi Link 3.0
Mewtwo
JediofTime is online now   Reply With Quote