Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 01-08-2017, 11:58 PM   #1
UnknownUser

Are original characters appropriate for a con?

Hey, so i have been to one con o far and i went as Jean Havoc from Full Metal Alchemist, and it was really bad. I really wanted to go as some one from Naruto cause they are iconic and everyone knows qho you are... well as Jean i had a lot of peolpe ask me if i was security.

But that brings me to my question: is it appropriate to be an original character (from say) Naruto? I only ask because i would love to go as Kakashi or Minato but they are (as i said) iconic and there are dozens of them at cons and i would like to be special. And no not short bus special i was that in grade school... i have read a lot of peolple opinion on this and gender bends but i think its realy a sweet idea; just wana know a better pool of cosplayers opinions.

- THANKS!!!
UnknownUser is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-09-2017, 01:52 AM   #2
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

You only have one question to ask..Does the costume break any written rules or laws? If no, then you can do it. And by that I mean things like breaking dress code within the con (like wearing a thong for your cosplay bottoms is usually not allowed, or not wearing shoes) or things that break a literal LAW of the country you're in.

If you wanna cosplay an original, then do it so long as it's legal to do so. But you seem to be confused on what an "original character" is..What I think you mean is a POPULAR character, or one that's done a crap ton. An original character is a character of your own creation that is not already established. Like making your own Naruto character. Kakashi is not an "original character" he is a popular and overdone character. But if you want to cospay him, then do it. No one is stopping you. If you want to stand out, a LOT of the Kakashi's I see (no offence to them but..) half-ass their cosplay..They don't style the wig, and honestly don't really try that hard. Not that it's a problem, but it's helpful for you, because if YOU do that, and try your hardest to make it a very very well made cosplay, you WILL garner that attention for your hard work.
-Some Fashion-y Crap....lol
Jei-Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2017, 02:29 AM   #3
Amanita

The past few years I've done nothing BUT original characters, and this year I even won second place in the Masters category for workmanship. In all the years I've been doing this, I've only had one person give me a hard time for it, which was ironic because they were dressed as their own re-imagining of an existing character, which is treading a fine line between recreation and original cosplay.

It sounds like you don't want to do a truly original (created and designed by yourself) character, so much as you want to be original by cosplaying an existing character that nobody else seems to be doing. Really, doing either is fine! In either case, if you take some extra time and make an effort to pay attention to the details, people will notice.
Unread 01-09-2017, 11:34 AM   #4
Syon
leads the crusade

Of course you can go as an original character (OC = a character of your own creation). Many people do that. They can look amazing. But one word of caution: If you chose to go this route and design your own character, you will definitly be special, because you are one-of-a-kind. But you will also lose every fandom generated attention. And by that, I mean that you lose the attention you would get from people who are fans...because your OC has none. You don't get the excited fans, who get hyped because they see another fan dressed as their favorite character or from their favorite movie/game/comic.

The only attention you can get is the one people generally pay to amazing and stunning cosplays. And you may not free yourself entirely from the "Are you supposed to be Y?"- and "What game/anime is that from?"-questions.

Working on: Paletress (50%) + upgrading Jainas staff with lights
Next convention: RPC
Syon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2017, 03:07 AM   #5
Magyarita
The Cutest Little They

(An original character means a character you created yourself, fyi.)

There's nothing wrong with cosplaying a popular character. It's fun, and you often get more attention than cosplayers cosplaying obscure or original characters.

If you want to stand out, going the extra mile really helps. Going for a screen-accurate costume, learning how to act in character, or making a creative AU (alternate universe) version of your character (i.e. Female Kakashi, Sailor Moon Kakashi, Steampunk Kakashi, Lolita Kakashi, Pirate Kakashi, Mecha-Kakashi, etc.) are all good ways to do that.

Moon Moxxi: Borderlands Pre-Sequel
Anastasia: Anastasia
Saul Goodman: Breaking Bad
Benny Gecko: Fallout: New Vegas
Momoko Koigakubo: Ghost Stories (Dub)
Cameron Van Buren -- MPGiS
Malory Archer: Archer
Deandra: MPGiS
Kamala Khan: Ms. Marvel
Vader Eloha/The Queen: OFF
Princess Suwa: Mascot of the city of Suwa, Japan

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/annikaskisses
Magyarita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2017, 07:06 PM   #6
gypsy_girl
Fan Girl

Original characters are fun. I've done a fair number of them.

btw, there's a forum for talking about original cosplay. It's further down on the forum main page.

The Thing (1982)
(the missing word was 'imitation')
gypsy_girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2017, 12:24 AM   #7
dizzymonochrome
Sarah Charade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syon View Post
Of course you can go as an original character (OC = a character of your own creation). Many people do that. They can look amazing. But one word of caution: If you chose to go this route and design your own character, you will definitly be special, because you are one-of-a-kind. But you will also lose every fandom generated attention. And by that, I mean that you lose the attention you would get from people who are fans...because your OC has none. You don't get the excited fans, who get hyped because they see another fan dressed as their favorite character or from their favorite movie/game/comic.
This. The question isn't really whether it's appropriate or not. Because obviously if you're not breaking any con rules, there is nothing wrong with an original character. The question is really whether you want to wear a costume just for you to feel special and NO ONE ELSE will agree (because they can't read your mind and won't know), or do you want to wear a costume that makes you part of a group/community of other fans who like the same thing as you?

The thing that could make you special is making something spectacular that grabs attention. Nowadays, all I ever see from the Naruto fandom at cons are made-in-China costumes that honestly look like crap. It is such a popular series that cheap costumes are easy to find for lazy cosplayers. You can make a Kakashi costume special by making it better than the mass produced costumes everyone else is wearing.

Costume design and fabrication
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sector6labs

Tumblr: http://sector6labs.tumblr.com

Twitter: @sector6labs http://www.twitter.com/sector6labs

Last edited by dizzymonochrome : 01-18-2017 at 12:27 AM.
dizzymonochrome is offline   Reply With Quote