Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 09-25-2016, 02:05 PM   #1
bundle_o_styx

The Glasses Problem

So as someone who is slightly visually impaired (Stuck with eyeglasses) and unable to yet get over my blink reflex to wear contacts does anyone have any advice (I'm not dropping a couple thousand dollars every month for new frames with my prescription)
bundle_o_styx is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-25-2016, 02:09 PM   #2
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Take them off for photos and put them on when walking around (you could flip them into a pocket, hand to a friend, etc.), Or, invest one time in rimless eyeglass frames that are nearly invisible on camera. (Not sure if they're still really a thing as I remember the TV ads from well over a decade ago, but Google Crizal lenses for an example. There's no rims around the lenses and the lenses tthemselvesare reflection free, so they're nearly invisible).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2016, 03:41 PM   #3
Yujin

^I second what Shinobi said! I see cosplayers all the time walking around with glasses that clearly don't go with their character, but when they're stopped for a photo they just slip them off, no problem.

People do walk around blind (my friend does this when she wears plano contacts i.e. no prescription ones, or sclera lenses) but it's very important to be with a friend and be extra careful. It's not worth it to get hurt or hurt someone else just because of cosplay, haha.
Otakon '09, '13, '14, '15, '16
Katsucon '11, '14, '15, '16
OmegaCon '13
Saikoucon '15
NekoCon '15, '16?
MAGfest '16, '17 pre-reg'd (Classic '15, '16)
-----------------------
AUSA plans: Emilia (Re:Zero), Maki (Love Live, Dancing Stars on Me)
Yujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2016, 03:45 PM   #4
Elycium
Applique ate my soul

Just take them off for pictures. Its what my twin does when she cosplays, and its definitely the easiest solution if you can't go without them.
Elycium is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2016, 08:34 AM   #5
kandell

My best friend wears glasses and doesn't enjoy wearing contacts, so she'll just take her glasses off for photos. She usually finds a way to hide them in a prop or behind her costume or something.
Facebook
AC Paradise
Twitter
kandell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2016, 11:48 AM   #6
Scunosi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yujin View Post
People do walk around blind (my friend does this when she wears plano contacts i.e. no prescription ones, or sclera lenses) but it's very important to be with a friend and be extra careful. It's not worth it to get hurt or hurt someone else just because of cosplay, haha.
I've been doing this lately depending on the con. My vision isn't so bad that I'm totally blind without my glasses, but I do have to squint quite a bit more. If I'm at a con where I'm more focused on cosplay than the booths I'll go without then put them on when needed, whereas if I'm at a con where I'm mainly there to check out the booths I'll do the opposite. I also can't really wear my glasses under my Sans head (I can but it's a lot more effort to get it on/off which is important when I'm by myself) so I tend to go without for him.

I tried doing contacts once (not even colored just regular prescription) for a glasses-less look and it was just too stressful for me. I don't recall them being uncomfortable or anything but taking them on and off practically had me in tears. I'm not sure I'll ever go back to them, especially when I could always just Photoshop my eyes in any really good pics if I wanted to.

Upcoming Conventions
Sakuracon 2016
Possibly: RenCon, NewCon, AkiCon

Latest cosplay
Lunara (HotS)
Scunosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2016, 11:58 PM   #7
Yujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scunosi View Post
I tried doing contacts once (not even colored just regular prescription) for a glasses-less look and it was just too stressful for me. I don't recall them being uncomfortable or anything but taking them on and off practically had me in tears. I'm not sure I'll ever go back to them, especially when I could always just Photoshop my eyes in any really good pics if I wanted to.
Contacts definitely take practice, so if you only tried a couple times, you should give it a few more go's (maybe while you're just at home chilling, so it's a stress-free situation) to get more accustomed to putting them on/taking them out without being in a rush. I have reaaaaaaally small squinty eyes so it was very difficult for me to get used to putting them in, but soon you get used to it and it's like second nature.
Otakon '09, '13, '14, '15, '16
Katsucon '11, '14, '15, '16
OmegaCon '13
Saikoucon '15
NekoCon '15, '16?
MAGfest '16, '17 pre-reg'd (Classic '15, '16)
-----------------------
AUSA plans: Emilia (Re:Zero), Maki (Love Live, Dancing Stars on Me)
Yujin is offline   Reply With Quote